PDA

View Full Version : Fording a river/stream

naturewanderer
02-18-2008, 22:25
I am planning on hiking a few sections in the lower part of Maine in July (from East B Hill Road to Rte 27). I am looking for some tips about crossing some of the streams and bogs. This will be my first time on the AT in Maine. All tips/suggestions are welcome. :)

dessertrat
02-18-2008, 22:49
If you are fording a fast moving stream, look for the wider parts, as those are likely to be shallower and the current won't be as strong. Cross facing upstream if the water is flowing very strongly, and use a stick or a hiking pole.

Go slowly. There is no sense in rushing across. Unfasten your waistbelt and sternum strap (if you use one). If you get to a difficult part where you don't think you can continue across, then don't be afraid to turn back and try another route.

Put all of your essential stuff in something absolutely waterproof before crossing, and stash that bag high up in your pack. Fasten your boots to your pack, or put them in your pack, and MAKE SURE they won't get lost or come off. Few things suck like making it across but not having one of your boots, other than not making it across. You would probably rather lose your whole pack than your boots, unless you have something else to wear on your feet.

Think about bringing and using crocs or flip flops of some sort, so that you are less likely to injure your feet in the water, by stabbing them on a rock or stick, etc.

fredmugs
02-18-2008, 22:50
I can tell you what not to do. When I hiked in Maine I brought sandals for the stream crossings but they did not have straps around the back of my feet and the current took the sandal right off my foot and there was no way to retrieve it.

take-a-knee
02-18-2008, 23:48
If you are fording a fast moving stream, look for the wider parts, as those are likely to be shallower and the current won't be as strong. Cross facing upstream if the water is flowing very strongly, and use a stick or a hiking pole.

Go slowly. There is no sense in rushing across. Unfasten your waistbelt and sternum strap (if you use one). If you get to a difficult part where you don't think you can continue across, then don't be afraid to turn back and try another route.

Put all of your essential stuff in something absolutely waterproof before crossing, and stash that bag high up in your pack. Fasten your boots to your pack, or put them in your pack, and MAKE SURE they won't get lost or come off. Few things suck like making it across but not having one of your boots, other than not making it across. You would probably rather lose your whole pack than your boots, unless you have something else to wear on your feet.

Think about bringing and using crocs or flip flops of some sort, so that you are less likely to injure your feet in the water, by stabbing them on a rock or stick, etc.

I crossed a lot of glacial streams in Denali Nat Park, the advice about finding a wide area of the stream is of utmost importance. Use a packliner (Hefty compactor bag) and gooseneck the top and put a rubber band on it. Unfasten your waistbelt, you can't swim with a pack on your back, you can however use a properly waterproofed pack as a life preserver of sorts. I would never try to use those idiotic Crocs to cross a mountain river. Remove your socks and lace your boots up on your bare feet. If you don't use hiking poles, try to find a staff of sorts. I would only use one on the upstream side, keeping one hand free to deal with the pack should I step in a hole.

Blissful
02-18-2008, 23:55
I used my hiking poles to give me stability. And my crocs worked well, drained water nicely, and dried quick.

Jim Adams
02-19-2008, 00:07
I am planning on hiking a few sections in the lower part of Maine in July (from East B Hill Road to Rte 27). I am looking for some tips about crossing some of the streams and bogs. This will be my first time on the AT in Maine. All tips/suggestions are welcome. :)

Don't EVER ford a stream...if you drown, someone will make a movie about it and everyone else will call you reckless with a death wish!:D

geek

ScottP
02-19-2008, 00:29
Keep your normal hiking shoes on.

wrongway_08
02-19-2008, 00:36
Great advise everyone. Just a little add on to what has been said, I find it easier/safer to cross at a very slight upstream angle, rather then going straight across the current.

dessertrat
02-19-2008, 01:33
Keep your normal hiking shoes on.

Yuck. Maybe a bit safer, but who wants to walk in wet shoes for hours? Not me.

fiddlehead
02-19-2008, 04:07
Desertrat's technique is good: face upstream, wide spot, go slow, no hip belt, etc.

But i think it should be pointed out that when the river is really high (above the waist), there's a 3 point method that I don't see mentioned yet.

Your two feet and the one pole (or stick) are the 3 points. you watch the placement of each one and try to step in a good spot. (if you can see bottom)
The point is to only lift one of the three at a time and keep two down on the river bed.

I have found that if it's a really tough ford, i want my shoes on (i use trail runners which are probably about the best thing you could use (IMO) and they dry fast) But if it's not so tough, go ahead and keep them dry and ford it in your socks. This is a great way to clean your socks (you should have another pair or you can just wear them to dry them) and provides a LOT more traction than barefoot. (and a lot less torturing on the soles of my feet) Someone else mentioned taking your socks off and putting your shoes on, we saw a ranger in Yosemite do this but didn't really like that idea better than ours. (try different techniques yourself as no 2 fords, or circumstances are alike)

I have a short video that i did when i first was learning video editing that has a ford we did a few years ago that is most likely wider than anything you'll need to do on the AT. I didn't use too much of the above technique as the water was really cold and i wanted to get to the other side before i turned numb. But if the water would've gotten deeper than it did, you can bet i would've used the 3 point stance technique.

Check it out, (there's some other interesting hiking related stuff besides fording) It was made mostly because i really like the song and the ford comes in and out of the video a few times. (it is the start and the end)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZEPxDtepd_8

I have some other video of some tough fords out in Montana that i haven't gotten up on youtube yet. (computer problems you know)

Heater
02-19-2008, 04:23
Check it out, (there's some other interesting hiking related stuff besides fording) It was made mostly because i really like the song and the ford comes in and out of the video a few times. (it is the start and the end)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZEPxDtepd_8

Yeah, "the end" :D

wrongway_08
02-19-2008, 08:58
Yeah, "the end" :D

:-?, so you support the act of mooning fellow hikers/families that may be day hiking and the poor wildlife that have now been scared for life??

......:D......sorry couldnt help it.......:).......back to topic.

mudhead
02-19-2008, 09:04
If you wear eyeglasses, put on your "guards," or whatever retaining type strap you use.

naturewanderer
02-19-2008, 21:06
Thanks for all your input !!!!

ki0eh
02-19-2008, 21:13
If you wear eyeglasses, put on your "guards," or whatever retaining type strap you use.

Hmm, this sounds like a voice from experience... :rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
02-20-2008, 05:30
Not sure if it works exactly the same way for both genders but as you walk into the water sometimes you might tend to rise up on your tip toes as you approach the ummmm. . . danger zone.
Do NOT do this while fording. Get it over with, dunk your junk, and cross safely.:):p

Cookerhiker
02-20-2008, 19:27
When hiking in Maine, I brought my Keen sandals featuring the hard-closed toe cover to protect against stubbing toes and to give me stability. For this purpose, they're better than crocs or barefoot.

I made the mistake once in Maine of crossing the narrower portion where the water was swifter (and white) and paid the price with a head-first flop - better than back first I guess. The above advice about crossing at the wider point is right on.

ChinMusic
02-20-2008, 19:47
I have almost no experience fording serious streams. What is the rule of thumb regarding depth? Or is there one? I would imagine flow rate is more important than depth.

warraghiyagey
02-20-2008, 19:53
Flow rate is the first thing to look for and it frequently coincides with underwater obstacles - (see East Branch, Maine with large slippery rocks/boulders under the torrent).
Never a bad idea to be a little upstream of the faster waters even if you do trade a little depth for it.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-20-2008, 19:54
I have almost no experience fording serious streams. What is the rule of thumb regarding depth? Or is there one? I would imagine flow rate is more important than depth.
Never deeper than you are tall would be a good place to draw the line.
3 s's shallowest, slowest, shortest is the best choice

warraghiyagey
02-20-2008, 20:00

The very logic that "never swallow anyhting bigger than your head' was borne from.:p

Cookerhiker
02-20-2008, 20:00
3 s's shallowest, slowest, shortest is the best choice

The shortest isn't necessarily the shallowest or slowest; it's more likely not.

woodsy
02-20-2008, 20:10
Never a bad idea to be a little upstream of the faster waters even if you do trade a little depth for it.
Careful no to step on my cold ones:p

warraghiyagey
02-20-2008, 20:44
Finders keepers. And BTW - that is proof that there is a God, errr . . . I mean trail magic.:):D

warraghiyagey
02-20-2008, 20:47
you might tend to rise up on your tip toes as you approach the ummmm. . . danger zone.
Do NOT do this while fording. Get it over with, dunk your junk, and cross safely.:):p

Alternate answer: Maybe you shouldn't be lying in the stream.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gif

Montego
02-20-2008, 20:50
Stepped off a low bank into what I though was a shallow stream (maybe a foot deep); turned out the stream was around 4 foot deep. Taught me to always test the depth first with my hiking pole and reminded me that clear water tends to magnify the bottom so it looks closer than it really is.

woodsy
02-20-2008, 20:54
Alternate answer: Maybe you shouldn't be lying in the stream.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gif
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gifyou're a funny guy warrgy!

mudhead
02-20-2008, 20:55
Stepped off a low bank into what I though was a shallow stream (maybe a foot deep); turned out the stream was around 4 foot deep. Taught me to always test the depth first with my hiking pole and reminded me that clear water tends to magnify the bottom so it looks closer than it really is.

That was fun, wasn't it. Real good point.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-21-2008, 10:36
The shortest isn't necessarily the shallowest or slowest; it's more likely not.
Like cheap, fast and good. What 2 do you want? If the shortest is the shallowest and the water is the slowest all at once, what more do you want.?
I'm a poor planner, I forget my "part the waters" staff on every hike