PDA

View Full Version : Icebreaker Merinos

View
02-18-2008, 22:42
Who has used the Icebreaker merinos before? Has anyone hiked in them? Anyone use them for just sleeping in or at camp?

I am trying to figure out what weight(s) would be good for cold weather (March AT) to hike in and what weight(s) would be good to sleep in.

If you could, please tell me what you used the 150s, 200s, 260s, or 320s for.

View

generoll
02-18-2008, 23:05
Dunno about the weight, but I bought a pair on Steep and Cheap ans wore them to sleep in. It was unusually warm in the Smokies when I went through so I can't say I truly tested them. I also bought a couple of the lightweight tees and love them.

BitBucket
02-18-2008, 23:16
I've got the Skin 200's for sleeping in...found them extremely comfortable at night (40-50) but too way warm for hiking during the day in mid to late September (50-60).

I have worn them during the day when it was 20-25 and they kept me warm...

After 5 days, they still don't stink..

Icebreaker is hard to find at a reasonable price in north alabama...S&C has them every now and then at about 60% off retail...I'll probably try and get some 260s next time I see them up there just to see how they wear..

scavenger
02-18-2008, 23:23
They seem great but you can find other brands of 100% merino baselayers for much lower prices if you hunt around a bit.

River Runner
02-18-2008, 23:55
Who has used the Icebreaker merinos before? Has anyone hiked in them? Anyone use them for just sleeping in or at camp?

I am trying to figure out what weight(s) would be good for cold weather (March AT) to hike in and what weight(s) would be good to sleep in.

If you could, please tell me what you used the 150s, 200s, 260s, or 320s for.

View

I love Icebreaker! It is very high quality - my favorite wool (although I have a nice Ibex piece too).

I've used the short sleeve 150 for hiking in summer up to around 80 F I think. It's not any hotter than synthetic.

I've used long sleeved Skin 200 crew for sleeping in 3-season (around 20 F to 50 F) and for hiking in similar temps, although if there is much sun and not much wind, the long sleeves get a little warm at the higher end of that range.

I've used the Bodyfit 260 for hiking comfortably in the 30 degree range. Down around 20 with light wind I've used the Skin 200 & Bodyfit 260 together and been comfortable, depending on exertion level.

Unless my sleeping bag is lightly rated for the temps, the Bodyfit is a little warm to sleep in, in my opinion.

I've both hiked and slept in the 200 leggings. It needs to be below freezing or very windy for the leggings not to be too warm to hike in. (Using them under convertible nylon pants).

The lack of stench is great!