PDA

View Full Version : MSR pocket rocket

double j
02-18-2008, 22:46
well i went to a local store and picked up a msr pocket rocket. It only weighs 3 oz pretty nice anyone have a exp. with these

HikerRanky
02-18-2008, 22:49
Yep, I've had one for several years..... It's a wonderful little stove, low maintenance, and boils water pretty quickly..... On the down side, it doesn't perform real well in very cold weather unless you keep the fuel canister warm....

Randy

Pedaling Fool
02-18-2008, 22:50
Never used one, seen a lot of them though. If I didn't have a Jetboil, my next choice would be a Pocket Rocket; you got a good stove - gotta love the simplicity of it.

double d
02-18-2008, 23:07
the pocket rocket is great, lightweight, burns well and even, trully a great stove.

Lilred
02-18-2008, 23:15
I love my alky stove, but the pocket rocket looks really nice and I've heard nothing but good things about it. If I were to ever buy a canister stove, that'd be the one.

Tin Man
02-18-2008, 23:16
I have the msr superfly. For an extra 2 ozs. you get a flame spread out over a wider area. The pocket rocket heats the middle of the pan, the superfly heats more evenly over a wider area, which is important for cooking a wider variety of foods. As HikerRanky said, these little canister stoves do not perform well in cold weather. White gas stoves are best in cold conditions.

envirodiver
02-18-2008, 23:31
Needs a wind screen. Wind plays havoc with it. I've seen a few designs for wind screens, but you must be careful not to completely enclose the canister and raise the temp too much.

Tin Man
02-18-2008, 23:35
Needs a wind screen. Wind plays havoc with it. I've seen a few designs for wind screens, but you must be careful not to completely enclose the canister and raise the temp too much.

Exactly. I am allergic to shrapnel. That's why I haven't tried it.

vonfrick
02-19-2008, 00:09

i love mine, and my little Ti pot that goes with it. but i have to agree about needing a wind screen. i've wasted a lot of gas trying to cook in the wind! the manufacturer says not to use one tho so i was a little wary- the thing gets insanely hot. can you direct me to the wind screen designs you've seen?

thanks

dessertrat
02-19-2008, 01:41
well i went to a local store and picked up a msr pocket rocket. It only weighs 3 oz pretty nice anyone have a exp. with these

Excellent little stove. For short trips, you can use one of the small jetboil canisters instead of taking a bigger MSR canister, but it makes the stove less stable, so you'll have to be more careful.

HikerRanky
02-19-2008, 01:52
I personally don't think that a windscreen is necessary.... just put yourself between the wind and the stove..... Of course, at 6'6" and 278 pounds, I make a very nice windscreen :D

Randy

zoidfu
02-19-2008, 01:59
I have one and I love it. I just use a windscreen made out of tinfoil. Nothin' to it.

Lumber
02-19-2008, 02:00
The pocket rocket is the shiznit. In cold weather buy the mix fuel, made for cold weather. You can also warm the canister with your hands if its real cold. You'll see it frost up and thats when its time to remember what mister meogi taught you. Meaning, you rub your hands together first.

double j
02-19-2008, 07:42
sounds great cant wait to use it i think it will fit perfect dwn in my kmart grease pot.......

NICKTHEGREEK
02-19-2008, 07:47
Too tall, too tippy, poor pot supports, poor wind performance.
Lots of folks seem to like them however.

BackTrack1
02-19-2008, 08:09
Yes , I have had one for several yrs, never had any probs. w/ it, although it doesnt work real well when its really cold out, i usually switch to my alcohole stove in winter.

sixhusbands
02-19-2008, 08:47
had mine for several years and it great. I used the canister in an emergency once when a fellow hiker sprained an ankle. When the canister turned frosty cold after burning a while , we used that canister to keep the swelling down. If trying this remember to keep something between the canister and bare skin.

take-a-knee
02-19-2008, 09:46

That is why MSR designed the Wind Pro.

Ramble~On
02-19-2008, 18:56
I've never had a problem with my mine. It's cheap, light and reliable.
I usually use alcohol stoves but the Pocket Rocket comes in handy for longer cook times like when using the "Bakepacker" etc.
I agree that the Pocket Rocket isn't the most stable of stoves but it is an all around good canister stove on the cheap and light.

rafe
02-19-2008, 19:33
I'm guessing about 30-50% of thru-hikers are using the PR or one of its equivalents nowadays. Of course it "works." The issues all have to do with canister resupply. Generally not a problem, except in certain areas.

Hooch
02-19-2008, 19:41
Before I converted over to the Caldera Cone, I used the MSR PocketRocket for a while. It's a great stove, cheap, light, easy to use and virtually maintenance free. However, the two major drawbacks that I had with it were that it desperately needed a wind screen (easily remedied with a piece of aluminum foil) and it didn't do well in cold temperatures when the fuel canister was cold (easily remedied by tucking in your sleeping bag at night or during the day while you hike). Overall, though, it's a great little stove, a virtual mini-flamethrower. :D

CrumbSnatcher
02-20-2008, 00:46
good choice,youll love the pocket rocket.

envirodiver
02-20-2008, 02:10
i love mine, and my little Ti pot that goes with it. but i have to agree about needing a wind screen. i've wasted a lot of gas trying to cook in the wind! the manufacturer says not to use one tho so i was a little wary- the thing gets insanely hot. can you direct me to the wind screen designs you've seen?

thanks

I'm not sure how to direct to another thread on this site, but I saw the design on here. Use the search tab and type Pocket Rocket Windscreen. You will see a thread that is titled "A simple design for a windscreen...."

Hope that helps

tmdombrosk
02-20-2008, 02:46
I've got the super fly myself. I love the vesitatily of being able to use any canister and the wider spread of flame. Yet the rocket is sweet, got a buddy that uses one and he loves the compact size.

Heater
02-20-2008, 03:27
I'm not sure how to direct to another thread on this site, but I saw the design on here. Use the search tab and type Pocket Rocket Windscreen. You will see a thread that is titled "A simple design for a windscreen...."

Hope that helps

Was it this one?

Pocket Rocket Windscreen (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=230470&postcount=1)

rafe
02-20-2008, 08:04
Was it this one?

Pocket Rocket Windscreen (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=230470&postcount=1)

I used a variant of that design this summer. It's a bit fiddly but it works. Be aware, the wires supporting the screen will degrade with use, since they're in the flame.

notorius tic
02-20-2008, 08:34
I have 1 an throughed 07 year no problems xcept you have to clean the nozzle holes, if your a messy cooker<: like put 4 packs of noodles at 1 time? I also used a MSR stainlees steal pot so i cooked alot over open fire..

maxNcathy
02-20-2008, 08:36
Yes, I am the proud user of a P.Rocket.

vonfrick
02-20-2008, 10:14
Was it this one?

yay! something to tinker with while i wait for spring!

SunnyWalker
02-21-2008, 21:50
Does the pocket rocket weight the 3 oz WITH the fuel canister? -SunnyWalker

Tin Man
02-21-2008, 21:57

Nope, fuel canister is extra 4oz (not sure if the weight is the fuel only or fuel plus can).

rafe
02-21-2008, 21:57

Of course not. 3 oz. is for the burner unit alone.

The small canisters generally weigh about 6-7 oz and contain 4 oz. of fuel. The large canisters weigh about 10-11 oz and contain 8 oz. of fuel.

hopefulhiker
02-21-2008, 22:13
I have one in my collection of stoves.. I like it..

HUNTHIKELIFT
02-21-2008, 22:20
Simply love mine :)

vonfrick
02-21-2008, 22:27
while we're on the subject. any problems with obtaining the fuel canisters from kilington, vt and points north?

Pennsylvania Rose
02-22-2008, 13:59
All my stoves have their good and bad points (I have a whisperlite, pocket rocket, and various alcohol stoves). I like the pocket rocket because it's easy to light, virtually maintenance free, and can easily be used to cook meals for 2-4 people. I don't like that you can't tell how much fuel is left, problems in the cold, and trying to shield it from the wind safely.

buckowens
02-24-2008, 18:31
Love my little PR! It does well and only has a few limitations that were previously mentioned. Not much of a simmer, but great for boiling!

notorius tic
02-24-2008, 18:57
Off of standing indian shelter

Toolshed
02-24-2008, 19:27
Count me as a PR fan. After years of a Phenix backpacker WG and then moving to a Whisperlight for over a decade (with a Trangia dedicated for summer use), and then 4-5 years with a pepsi can alky/esbit stove in 3-season, I broke down and got one of these PRs. I absolutely love it. Easy, light, replacement canisters abound and quickly heats water for 2 (or more).

Tinker
02-25-2008, 00:58
My PR, weighed on my digital scale was 3.7 oz.

Tinker
02-25-2008, 01:09
Sorry, my notes say that was WITH the case. My bad.

earthbound
02-26-2008, 11:45
Has anyone thru-hiked with the stove? How easy is it to get feul along the way?

rafe
02-26-2008, 12:04
Has anyone thru-hiked with the stove? How easy is it to get feul along the way?

Of course. (I assume you're referring to the Pocket Rocket.) Fuel is generally easy to find. Though I found fuel was not so easy to find in PA and MD. Any decent outfitter will have the fuel.

SunnyWalker
07-11-2008, 21:27
In AWOL's book he used a PR with the push button lighter. Sure sounded like it was easy, convenient and quick to use and all. I looked at the CC and it just bugs me to pay that much and the stove part of it is made out of some alum pepsi type cans!%#^&$*#((!!