PDA

View Full Version : gee-r-d-uh

rob123ufl
02-18-2008, 23:18
so i was given a steri-pen. It uses UV light to purify, and only takes about 45 seconds. here is my problem: when i collect water from a source, the part which i sip from touches the "unpurified water." now if i was using a chemical treatment, i would simply bleed the threads and everything would be fine. But since i am using UV light, what do i do? i have yet to think of a good solution to this. Also, the brilliant individuals at steripen made a pre-filter that fits on a nalgene, yet you dip the part your mouth touches into the water as well... so im at an impasse.

ps. i am looking for a solution to this problem that doesnt include NOT using the steripen, so all of the individuals who are going to tell me to get a pump or use iodine, reserve that please. I am bringing iodine as a backup anyway, but I'd like to figure this steripen out.

thanks, gentlepeople

take-a-knee
02-18-2008, 23:28
With Iodine tabs in the Army they used to teach us to treat the water, then screw the threads on the canteen about halfway and then invert the canteen. This would simply irrigate the threads, flushing any "cooties" away. Unless you are trying to purify pond scum, you are not dealing with that high of a colony count anyway, there probably aren't enough pathogens in a couple of cc's of water to do you any harm.

No Belay
02-22-2008, 00:10
Rob, now you know why it was given to you. I got rid of my steri for the same reason. The way the system works, there is no way to isolate the purified water your going to consume from the raw water in the threads and cap.The steri adds nothing to the water that acts as a purifier so it does no good to run treated water over the bottle threads in an attempt to clean them. I also didn't like being tied to a nalgene bottle due to weight and accesibility considerations. Also suspended particulates hamper the UV effectiveness so there is always a question of proper treatment.

I switched to a MSR MIOX device and am 100% confident in it. I used it on a 3 week Grand Canyon trip and it performed flawlessly. Don't know if you've ever done the GC but the water there suxs. Most of it is highly mineralized and high in biotics. The MIOX is lighter than the steri and allot easier on batteries. It leaves a residual taste in the water but it can be removed with a small amount of baking soda.

Savor happy!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-22-2008, 00:16
If you are intent on using the steripen and aren't comfortable with take-a-knee's answer (which is also what I believe), then clean the part your mouth touches with alcohol gel.

bredler
02-22-2008, 00:56
In addition to what FD and take a knee said...

...I'm not intimately familiar with how the steripen works, but I checked out a few videos to make sure that I wasn't totally off base and I gotta ask, why can't you just shine the light on the threads/other places that you suspect?

Cannibal
02-22-2008, 01:01
In addition to what FD and take a knee said...

...I'm not intimately familiar with how the steripen works, but I checked out a few videos to make sure that I wasn't totally off base and I gotta ask, why can't you just shine the light on the threads/other places that you suspect?

Because the sensor needs to be in contact with the water; it won't work as a flashlight.

I've never really considered this issue and it's a good one. Maybe use a straw to sip directly from the container? :confused:

greentick
02-22-2008, 01:55
Why not use a gallon ziplock as your "dirty" container to scoop the water and carefully pour (shouldn't be hard) into your container. Ziplock doesn't weigh enough to matter and can be easily stored somewhere where it won't contaminate.

Appalachian Tater
02-22-2008, 01:58
The goal is not to eliminate every single biological element in the water, just to get the levels low enough so that you don't get sick. Rinse the contaminated areas with the clean water.

What would happen if you used a container that was translucent to UV wavelengths?

Lone Wolf
02-22-2008, 08:26
so i was given a steri-pen. It uses UV light to purify, and only takes about 45 seconds. here is my problem: when i collect water from a source, the part which i sip from touches the "unpurified water." now if i was using a chemical treatment, i would simply bleed the threads and everything would be fine. But since i am using UV light, what do i do? i have yet to think of a good solution to this. Also, the brilliant individuals at steripen made a pre-filter that fits on a nalgene, yet you dip the part your mouth touches into the water as well... so im at an impasse.

ps. i am looking for a solution to this problem that doesnt include NOT using the steripen, so all of the individuals who are going to tell me to get a pump or use iodine, reserve that please. I am bringing iodine as a backup anyway, but I'd like to figure this steripen out.

thanks, gentlepeople

then don't treat at all like me and never get sick like me :)

Heater
02-22-2008, 08:30
then don't treat at all like me and never get sick like me :)

Feeling better? :sun

Lone Wolf
02-22-2008, 08:31
Feeling better? :sun

about what?

Heater
02-22-2008, 08:33
about what?

I thought you had been sick the past week.
I was just deeply concerned about your well being.

:sun

Lone Wolf
02-22-2008, 08:37
I thought you had been sick the past week.
I was just deeply concerned about your well being.

:sun

oh. throat is still sore. still coughin' up green stuff. no fever though. thank you for your concern :)

Heater
02-22-2008, 08:43
oh. throat is still sore. still coughin' up green stuff. no fever though. thank you for your concern :)

Glad you're feeling better.

And yes. I was being somewhat of a smartass. I am still working on that.

Heater
02-22-2008, 08:50
Glad you're feeling better.

And yes. I was being somewhat of a smartass. I am still working on that.

I don't know, maybe a defense mechanism. I cannot afford a therapist. Therapists suck moosecock. I do not want one.

Help me Wolf. :sun

Heater
02-22-2008, 08:51
I don't know, maybe a defense mechanism. I cannot afford a therapist. Therapists suck moosecock. I do not want one.

Help me Wolf. :sun

Ther I go again. I should just stop now, right?

:-?:-?

Cannibal
02-22-2008, 10:07
What would happen if you used a container that was translucent to UV wavelengths?

Won't work according to the directions. I guess it's due to the whole prism effect.

4 weeks later, I've almost got rid of that crap. Mucinex, Mucinex, Mucinex. I started using it a week ago and am mad as hell that I didn't know about it before. That stuff works great!

Roots
02-22-2008, 10:37

thanks, gentlepeople

I love my STERI!! I collect the water with a ziploc(non-flowing water sources) or a gatorade bottle(with nice, flowing water sources). Zap it, poor in my bladder, drink. :sun

No Belay
02-22-2008, 11:25

LW, that green stuff your hurlin is ALGAE. You might try treatin your water, start sleeping in shelters, stop drinkin beer brewed in PA, and wear some clothes when you're fording those streams. Nahh..that wouldn't work..:-?

Lone Wolf
02-22-2008, 11:26
LW, that green stuff your hurlin is ALGAE. You might try treatin your water, start sleeping in shelters, stop drinkin beer brewed in PA, and wear some clothes when you're fording those streams. Nahh..that wouldn't work..:-?

i don't drink no PA beer

take-a-knee
02-22-2008, 11:40
i don't drink no PA beer

You don't know what you're missin' Wolf, Rolling Rock is(was) some good stuff.

Jason of the Woods
02-22-2008, 11:42
I have a MSR filter. It works great with no worry of cross contamination.

Jason of the Woods
02-22-2008, 11:44
PS- I read your whole message. I just don't like the steripen.