PDA

View Full Version : Burning Trash.....

88BlueGT
02-19-2008, 02:11
Just wondering how many people burn their trash. I'm talking about small candy wrappers, ramen bags, etc.

88BlueGT
02-19-2008, 02:32
If you answer yes we obviously know why but if you said no or sometimes, explain why.

Lone Wolf
02-19-2008, 02:34
just like poop, all trash should be packed out

88BlueGT
02-19-2008, 02:41
Care to explain why though?

And lets not get into the whole "packing out your poop" subject :D

jzakhar
02-19-2008, 03:03
Scat aside. I have always packed out garbage. I don't burn plastic or styrofoam for obvious reasons.

bfitz
02-19-2008, 03:16
If there's a blazing fire going burning trash is a great idea. Just lighting up some trash and leaving it in the fire ring incompletely burned is annoying.

Gaiter
02-19-2008, 03:25
if there is a fire going, occasionally i'll burn trash, but ya gotta sift through the ashes and pack out what didn't burn in the morning, and you always end up w/ more than you tossed in because of others who didn't pack their remainders out

Rockhound
02-19-2008, 05:24
not only do i use a fire to burn my trash, i also use it to cook with and to keep warm on chilly nights. my question for the anti-burn proponents is, when you get to town & dispose of your trash, how much of that garbage gets transported by big gas guzzling trucks to someplace where it will be incinerated?(thats a fancy word for burned). also how many of those "disposable" fuel canisters are taking up space in landfills across the country? oh and before i forget whoever is defacing the signs at shelters that request hikers burn their trash, please refrain from doing so in the future? they're there for a reason.

Heater
02-19-2008, 05:37
not only do i use a fire to burn my trash, i also use it to cook with and to keep warm on chilly nights. my question for the anti-burn proponents is, when you get to town & dispose of your trash, how much of that garbage gets transported by big gas guzzling trucks to someplace where it will be incinerated?(thats a fancy word for burned). also how many of those "disposable" fuel canisters are taking up space in landfills across the country? oh and before i forget whoever is defacing the signs at shelters that request hikers burn their trash, please refrain from doing so in the future? they're there for a reason.

Signs at shelters that request hikers burn their trash? Where are those coming from? Never seen one of those.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-19-2008, 06:01
If there is a fire, I will burn trash that can be burned - not plastics - and will burn out cans for smell-control. As Gaiter notes, if you burn trash, you must sift the ashes and haul out what doesn't burn.

AT-HITMAN2005
02-19-2008, 07:35
i will occasionally burn paper but never stuff like plastic. i don't carry cans with me but if i did i wouldn't try burning them. its trash it doesn't weight that much.

Lone Wolf
02-19-2008, 07:40
nothing but wood should ever be burned in a fire pit. period.

kayak karl
02-19-2008, 07:49
stay away from shelters. ive never been tempted to burn trash in my stove:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-19-2008, 08:10
stay away from shelters. ive never been tempted to burn trash in my stove:DJust stop by the shelter, burn your trash and then leave.... :D

Grumpy Ol' Pops
02-19-2008, 08:48
If you answer yes we obviously know why but if you said no or sometimes, explain why.

Okay, you asked for it!

I don't have the data to quantify the idea, so I must base my decision not to burn trash on life experience and many years of working in a related field.
I believe that most areas today do incinerate their non-recyclable trash. Yes, it takes some amount of gasoline or diesel fuel to transport packed-out hiker trash (Ramen packs, Snickers wrappers, and so on) to landfills or incinerators. The incinerators are growing in number every year and will eventually be the only way to dispose of non-recyclable trash from all sources.
When we burn trash in a shelter fire-ring, it does nothing to help the environment. All it does is stink up the area around the shelter for a time, and usually the odor lingers for at least several days.
Trucking hiker trash to an incinerator at least has the benefit of having its potential energy turned into electrical energy by the incinerator’s electrical generators. You might say that one Snickers wrapper doesn't mean much in the overall scheme of the world. Consider the effect of your cell phone, mP3 player, digital camera, or answering machine on the environment. Those chargers you use for your devices usually remain plugged into the wall outlets even after you remove the devices.
Are you aware that a charger continues to use a very small amount of electrical energy even though a device is no longer attached? Phantom energy for one or two devices is practically immeasurable, but if you went around your home and counted just how many of these chargers you have, then multiplied that by the phantom energy drawn by all the users in the United States, you'd be amazed at how much non-renewable energy (foreign oil!!!) is actually being consumed by these devices. Even my own daughter, who is green-conscious, is guilty. Three cell phones, five laptop computers, three desktop computers with peripherals, two digital cameras, computer wireless network at home, three portable home phones, and ten or more other voltage converters and devices (X-box, VCR/DVD player, homes stereo, digital clock) are plugged in 24 x 7 x 52! Ever watch that little wheel turn inside your electric meter at home? Unplug as many of your electrical devices as you can afford to live without for a few minutes and take a look at it. Count the number of turns it makes per minute, then plug everything back in and redo the test. You might be surprised at the result. The faster that wheel turns, the more energy you are using!
But it’s only a Snickers wrapper, you say! It doesn’t mean much! Neither does one wall wart! Don't waste your trash by just burning it! Pack it out and put it in a trash container!! Keep the trails clean!
That’s my opinion! Pack it in? Pack it out! On the trail? Leave only footprints. Take only memories!

Lone Wolf
02-19-2008, 08:52
burning trash is pure laziness. goes hand in hand with shelter dwellers

Newb
02-19-2008, 08:58
Anything is better than the gal who admitted in her journal last year that she buried her trash her first night on the trail.

TOW
02-19-2008, 09:11
Just wondering how many people burn their trash. I'm talking about small candy wrappers, ramen bags, etc.
I always do because I usually will have a camp fire going after I set camp. That's part of the hiking experience for me, the camp fire thing that is......

weary
02-19-2008, 09:17
If there's a blazing fire going burning trash is a great idea. Just lighting up some trash and leaving it in the fire ring incompletely burned is annoying.
It's more than annoying to trail maintainers. Their most obnoxious chore is cleaning out fire places of half burned food, plastic, cans, paper. and foil. The garbage that most hikers leave make the fire places useless for cooking or even just sitting around. They also draw the vermin that infect every campsite. The sloppiness spurs maintainers to yearn for a ban on all fires.

Weary

Lone Wolf
02-19-2008, 09:18
that's why i have stealth fires. nothing but wood gets burned.

weary
02-19-2008, 12:43
that's why i have stealth fires. nothing but wood gets burned.

That's why my trail hobby is to clean fireplaces, especially if there is a shovel around. I've buried more trash in my several walks in the Smokies than I have in a half century of wandering Maine -- well almost.

If I weren't "weary," I'd be trashman.

hobojoe
02-19-2008, 12:51
Anything is better than the gal who admitted in her journal last year that she buried her trash her first night on the trail.
Or Bill Bryson's buddy throwing his gear into the woods, That was what made me hate that book, ignorance and disrespect at its finest. Oh, I just burn paper, especialy paper trash around the shelter. I would always make sure its all gone in the morning.

hobojoe
02-19-2008, 12:54
........ I've buried more trash in my several walks in the Smokies than I have in a half century of wandering Maine -- well almost........

If I weren't "weary," I'd be trashman.
Buried trash???......not cool at all.

Lilred
02-19-2008, 13:05
I burn what can be burned, but since I make it a habit to clean out fire pits on the trail, I usually end up with more in my trash bag than I would have if I hadn't burned. Just my small way to help maintainers. A drop in the bucket I know.

88BlueGT
02-19-2008, 13:09
I usually burn anything that can be burned if I have a fire BUT I can definitely see some of your points when you say about stuff being left in the bottom of pits, etc. As for me, I always make my own fire pit, scatter ashes and cover with leaves and scatted the rocks when I'm done.

weary
02-19-2008, 13:19
Yeah, I know. A lot of people agree with you. One spring when I was cleaning out the dump that doubled as a fireplace in the smokies, a hiker complained that I was polluting the air.

I offered a compromise. "'I'll pack out half this stuff, if you'll take the rest. He just walked away.

Weary

The Weasel
02-19-2008, 13:22

Wolf is right. A lot of "paper" is actually plastic or plasticized, especially food wrapping. Printed paper usually contains ink that is toxic when burned. And one pound of even burnable trash is well over 15 ounces of pure carbon put into the air, burned very incompletely in the chemical sense. In places such as the Smokies, that adds dangerously to particulate air pollution, and in other places it's just not good.

TW

jersey joe
02-19-2008, 13:22
When I went to the Philmont Scout Ranch when I was younger, the rangers and park staff requested that we burn everything that was burnable. Paper or Plastic. Their rationale was that they had to haul it to an incinerator and burn it anyway. Right or wrong, thousands of young backpackers were taught the same thing!

The Weasel
02-19-2008, 13:33
When I went to the Philmont Scout Ranch when I was younger, the rangers and park staff requested that we burn everything that was burnable. Paper or Plastic. Their rationale was that they had to haul it to an incinerator and burn it anyway. Right or wrong, thousands of young backpackers were taught the same thing!

As a Scout, Joe, I know. But that was then, and this is now. We have an obligation to teach people what current LNT stands for.

TW

Newb
02-19-2008, 14:10

But modern incinerators have tall stacks and scrubbers, right? there's a minimum impact way to do it and then there's releasing all those PCBs right there in the forest.

The shenandoah river is a PCB pit...as is the Potomac. Let's not make it worse

Tin Man
02-19-2008, 14:41
Here is some info from the Philmont Scout Ranch website. I could not find a reference to burning trash, but they do say to clean the debris out of the fire pits. I guess that means they expect the boys to burn trash. They seem concerned about preserving Philmont, but miss the simple point of carry in/carry out. (Oh and leaving the poo in the latrine is okay too, as it should be.)

---
http://www.scouting.org/highadventure/philmont/hikers/wilderness.aspx (http://www.scouting.org/highadventure/philmont/hikers/wilderness.aspx)

Campsites Each crew is responsible for leaving a neat and orderly campsite, whether it be in Camping Headquarters, staffed camps, or non-staffed camps. Your campsite should be left litter-free with its latrine and sump clean. Fires, if permitted, must be left DEAD OUT and then cleaned of debris before you leave. Do not trench tents; pitch them on high ground. You should respect the feelings of those crews camping near you and those that will come after you.
Philmont serves over 20,000 Scouts, Venturers, and leaders each year. Consequently, some trails and camps are subjected to heavy use. Nevertheless, it is not the wear of so many pairs of boots that mars Philmont. It is the carelessness and thoughtlessness of inconsiderate campers. It is our sincere hope that through your commitment to the Philmont Wilderness Pledge, Philmont will always remain a beautiful and clean place to enjoy high adventure.

Footslogger
02-19-2008, 14:45
[quote=Tin Man;542211] ... the Philmont Wilderness Pledge

==============================

I still have several of the plastic playing card sized versions of that pledge ...somewhere ???:eek:

Philmont Adult Leader - '95, '97, '99

'Slogger

The Weasel
02-19-2008, 14:47
Here is some info from the Philmont Scout Ranch website.

Tin, the reference to being taught at Philmont to burn trash is virtually certainly from decades ago. In the 'feces' thread, I posted the current BSA position on LNT, which Philmont is in the lead of, as the premier Scouting outdoor facility in the USA. I'll bet that bottle of The Macallan that they're not encouraging, or even permitting, trash burning in fire pits and that frankly, there won't be a lot of fire pits there anymore.

TW

dzierzak
02-19-2008, 16:03
"Fires, if permitted, must be left DEAD OUT and then cleaned of debris before you leave. " from the BSA National site.

The actual reference is for small campfires. The practice is to make sure the fire is dead out, gather the ashes (debris) and then scatter the ashes about a mile from the campsite.

Policy is that trash NOT be burned.

ed
623J1 2008

jersey joe
02-19-2008, 16:34
If we are so concerned about a candy bar wrapper being burned, maybe we shouldn't be buying food wrapped in plastic to begin with?!?

BR360
02-19-2008, 16:54
The only trash I burn is napkins.

Before I go on a trip, I strip off all unnecessary packaging for my food at home or the grocery, recycle what is possible (local restrictions vary), throw out the rest.

I use brown "Taco Bell" type napkins to make a final wipe-down of my cookpot and bowl.

Actually, I eat everything even if I'm not hungry to finish it, so that I don;t have to throw remnants away and attract critters. Then, I put 2-3 tablespoons of (hot) water in the pot and or bowl, swish and scrape it around so that I get all major food chunks and sauces floating around in a "broth." Then I drink that, so there is almost zero food contents remaining in the pot/bowl. The extra hydration is good for me.

Then, I take a napkin and wipe down the pot/bowl until it is completely clean, using whatever moisture remains in the pot/bowl. I now burn this napkin, sometimes in a fire ring. If it is raining, or there is no fire ring, I seal the napkins in 2 nested ziplocs, and put them in my food bag.

I also spit my toothpaste in a double-thick ziploc. I never spit in the fire ring (unless a good fire is burning) as I have seen others do.

mweinstone
02-19-2008, 16:57
i didnt read but the threads title but im saying this. those of you who are trashers. people who make their volenteerisms main focus trash picking the trail and world,....hear me. you may burn others trash only when the result of packing it out would be trouble to you in any way. glass should be melted and the slag packed out to allow space for your own needs. bio waste contaminated trash may be burnned. all paper witch is in fact solely paper. and plastic in the form of fenceing and lawn bags with waste. in no case may foil be burnned but to sterilize it for packing and then , only heavy enough foil so their remains no crumbelys. gum, paint, and all toxic chemicals such as a heavy can of lighter fluid may not ever see the pure air we breath fouled with its spiritually bancrupt self and fumes. these are the laws as handed down to me by me when i made them up long ago. follow them well young padwans.for the dark side of hideing even a single sardine can or tuna packet under a rock,...will haunt thre very soul of its leaver. verily verily i say these things unto you. if they were not tru i would say so.

GGS2
02-19-2008, 16:57
If we are so concerned about a candy bar wrapper being burned, maybe we shouldn't be buying food wrapped in plastic to begin with?!?

Bingo! Not very possible if you shop at big box stores, buy processed food, etc. We need to go back to bulk goods, reusable sacks, jars, bottles. Used to be able to buy beer in a jug. Bring your own down to the pub and fill 'er up. Same with wine. You guys in the South know about mason jars. Reusable, too.

mweinstone
02-19-2008, 17:06
burnning a large amount of plastic in a fire that was going for three days at windsor furnace shelter , the few dayhiker onlookers were in an upset mood. their were questions and concerns and coments. as i had been trashing for three days 12 hours a day all alone last summer, waiting for panzer,,,,i had trashed a very large area including peices dragged from a mile or more. i had a still from the thirtys witch bore the mark of a san fran cisco stove company. i had fenceing. i had trash bags of glass. they saw all the trash only as the last 20 lbs were being burnned. trying to understand the ethics and practical implications of cleaning up trash in mountains,..was chalenging and i failed. they couldnt understand why anything should be burnned.so it goes. yes their is a dumpster a stones throw down the road. i had about a full dumpsters amount so walking anywhere with it would suck. and when we pick up our brothers mess, we claim rights. rights that imply the ends justify the means or the means justify the ends depending on wheather your me or them.

mweinstone
02-19-2008, 17:12
any questions reguarding who is in fact the worlds largest mason jarhead should be addreased in a self addressed stamped envelope containing one dollar in cash money to: yesmatthewskiistheworldslargestmasonjar.org

Blue Jay
02-19-2008, 17:26
At the very least don't try to burn aluminum.

bfitz
02-19-2008, 18:47
At the very least don't try to burn aluminum.Why ecactly, besides that it probably won't incinerate completely? Not that that isn't a good enough reason....

bfitz
02-19-2008, 18:47
any questions reguarding who is in fact the worlds largest mason jarhead should be addreased in a self addressed stamped envelope containing one dollar in cash money to: yesmatthewskiistheworldslargestmasonjar.org
What's in the jar second to the left of the foil cooking tray in the center of the top of the cabinets?

02-19-2008, 19:44
Me carry trash, if a fire is going I burn it all and if by accident something has foil in it I do fish it out and pack it out. For goodness sakes we all drive and the cars do not go on air alone. Plastics are made from oil. The only thing Man including woman has added to this earth is moon rocks. The rest was already here, we are just moving it around.

By the way what is being accomplished if sombody picks through a fire pit removing unburned peices of trash. nothing my friend, you just think you are doing something good. If you let it be it will just get burned next time somone starts a fire. By the way thank you to all the folks that leave good dry paper in shelters.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
02-19-2008, 19:47

You'll never hear an argument from me about that! Big Business needs to make everything pretty so we'll buy only their products.

Bob S
02-19-2008, 20:12
You'll never hear an argument from me about that! Big Business needs to make everything pretty so we'll buy only their products.

Big business needs to have a safe clean, sealed, protected and not stale product to sell to make money, and one that is not moldy and looks like a science project. Or anything else that make trial lawyers salivate or keep people from buying it. So they use plastic, it works.

Some of you have such a hate for capitalism and such strong tree-hugger views of things that common sense doesn’t have a chance with you.

Plastic is a good material to protect food that is the reason it’s used, not so your favorite little corner of the world is full of trash.

mweinstone
02-19-2008, 20:27
i walk away and come back to this? first of all let me demonstrate exactly scientificaly the factual diference between a fire done right and a fire done wrong. if you ment to ignore reality and be fun, cool. otherwise here is what i know. mineral soil, top soil, litter(or duff , the leaves and twigs )these are earth as we need to understand for the firemakeing rant im on. the most proper fire pit has nothing to do with the rings we use on the AT. but to see how foil or no foil in a pit matters at all, we need to learn proper firemakeing. if you were off trail in the bush , say in PA near the AT, you could find a spot with real dirt, (hard in PA) remove the litter, remove the top soil containing roots of small plants in cut squares to a shady place where you water them and keep them to put back after only haveing had a small cook and warm fire on dead mineral soil. then you would drag a log or a rock or plant a plant on the spot and camaflauge it so it wouldnt have the same apeal it had for you to choose it. then it could heal its minor injurys and if everyone did this, useing each pit no more than 3 days with no more than 8 people useing each, all would be better.

so starting with the evil that is all above ground permanenent firerings,adding foil sucks. adding anything sucks. whats wrong with a law that would keep wild, wild,..... and spent,.... spent lands?

mweinstone
02-19-2008, 20:31
you like charcole at every campsite ruining all the flat ground that would be so cool to cowboy camp on if only we had love for the home god has made us. but alas, we sin for our meat. i however shall continue to pray for you all. stupid burnnys.lol.

rant266 ends

sheepdog
02-19-2008, 20:46
Big business needs to have a safe clean, sealed, protected and not stale product to sell to make money, and one that is not moldy and looks like a science project. Or anything else that make trial lawyers salivate or keep people from buying it. So they use plastic, it works.

Some of you have such a hate for capitalism and such strong tree-hugger views of things that common sense doesn’t have a chance with you.

Plastic is a good material to protect food that is the reason it’s used, not so your favorite little corner of the world is full of trash.
Amen :sun But we could leave the treehugger stuff out.

shelterbuilder
02-19-2008, 21:35
since no distinction was made between paper and "all the rest", I voted for "sometimes". Paper gets burned - all the rest packs out. Plastic stinks when you burn it - even I can smell that, and I can't smell anything ( not even thru-hikers)!:eek::D

Survivor Dave
02-19-2008, 21:39
I agree to that. I'll burn straight paper only. The packs of pasta and rice are plastic lined and I'll packem' out.

since no distinction was made between paper and "all the rest", I voted for "sometimes". Paper gets burned - all the rest packs out. Plastic stinks when you burn it - even I can smell that, and I can't smell anything ( not even thru-hikers)!:eek::D

peakbagger
02-19-2008, 21:53
To clear up some misinformation, most of the plastic wrapping that hikers would carry are HDPE rather than PVC. HDPE, is a petroleum based product that when burned properly gives off about the same emisions as burning kerosene. Granted throw a wet HDPE bag on a smoldering fire and you will get incomplete combustion, but burned in a hot fire it burns completely. Plastic containing PVCs on the other hand are a bad actor that gives off Dioxins. Of course burning wood also gives off Dioxins (in much smaller amounts).

Patrickjd9
02-19-2008, 22:47
To clear up some misinformation, most of the plastic wrapping that hikers would carry are HDPE rather than PVC. HDPE, is a petroleum based product that when burned properly gives off about the same emisions as burning kerosene.
Correct. I do burn some plastics, as long as they are not multilayer or foil containing concoctions.

I have had a bad experience with trying to burn a large amount of found garbage. Left a sickening smell around the shelter all night.

JDCool1
02-25-2008, 01:58
One of the most fun experiences on a hike or other camping trip is the traditional campfire. However, like all other responsible actions encouraged by our community, keeping the shelter clean, picking up paper and plastic trash etc. along the trail, using the campfire ring should include cleaning it out the next morning and spreading the ashes. Hear a lot of complaints but not much encouragement of LNT in regard to the ole campfire. I guess my mornings will be full doing just that.

Blue Jay
02-25-2008, 09:37
Why ecactly, besides that it probably won't incinerate completely? Not that that isn't a good enough reason....

It is highly unlikely you'll even get the temperature high enough to melt aluminum, let alone burn it incompletely. Sooner or later someone will have to pack it out.

Lone Wolf
02-25-2008, 09:43

bottom line

Gray Blazer
02-25-2008, 13:46
bottom line
How 'bout peeing when you ford the Kennebec? :D

jesse
02-25-2008, 14:10
I will burn used TP if I have a really hot fire, and I know it will be consumed, otherwise I pack it out. I don't carry cans. I pack out wrappers, and plastic bags.

Dirtygaiters
02-25-2008, 14:17
I put sometimes. If I have paper trash, it will probably get burned. If plastic, I might burn it, if it doesn't have too much food smell on it or I'm not in a very heavily bear-infested area (burning tends to spread the smell of food quickly). With metal, sometimes I'll put it in the fire just to sterilize it so it won't get moldy and funky inside my food backpack. I always check the campfire the morning after for anything that didn't burn completely, though.

Dirtygaiters
02-25-2008, 14:18
meant to say "inside my food bag in my backpack". Although, I like the idea of a food backpack, lol.

The Weasel
02-25-2008, 14:31
What people don't understand about burning is that, in a campfire, it is a very incomplete thing. While it's up to each person, here are some things that are true to at least know about:

- "Complete" combustion means fully burning all of the carbon to CO2, as opposed to partial combustion, which creates carbon monoxide, which is a source of pollution. Complete combustion requires higher heat than most paper will be exposed to in a fire, since the paper usually burns from flame.

- Most papers are treated papers, and have a variety of substances, many of which are toxic, the most infamous (but not the only) of which is dioxin. One sheet of paper may not add much, but it adds it. Keep in mind that you'll breathe some of the smoke from this, even if it doesn't seem like you did.

- Many "papers" aren't even paper, although they may feel like it. They are polymer based sheets, i.e. "plastic paper", made from polyethylene and other plastic substances. These don't burn. They melt into the fire, releasing toxic substances into the air and leaving small melts in the firepit that are rarely packed out.

- Incineration at "dumps" is strictly regulated by the EPA to have high burn temps and to have toxic gases removed from the airstream (although carbon dioxide generally isn't). That's the big difference between a waste incinerator and a campfire.

Do as you want, but don't say that it has no effect on the environment.

TW

hammock engineer
02-25-2008, 14:55
I burn it and will continue to burn everything that will burn.

I talked with someone who did a lot of research on ozone and contaniments. He basically said that one valcano reruption puts out more green house gases than mankind could ever hope to.

HIKER7s
02-25-2008, 14:59

and obviously not LNT

HIKER7s
02-25-2008, 15:03
i didnt read but the threads title but im saying this. those of you who are trashers. people who make their volenteerisms main focus trash picking the trail and world,....hear me. you may burn others trash only when the result of packing it out would be trouble to you in any way. glass should be melted and the slag packed out to allow space for your own needs. bio waste contaminated trash may be burnned. all paper witch is in fact solely paper. and plastic in the form of fenceing and lawn bags with waste. in no case may foil be burnned but to sterilize it for packing and then , only heavy enough foil so their remains no crumbelys. gum, paint, and all toxic chemicals such as a heavy can of lighter fluid may not ever see the pure air we breath fouled with its spiritually bancrupt self and fumes. these are the laws as handed down to me by me when i made them up long ago. follow them well young padwans.for the dark side of hideing even a single sardine can or tuna packet under a rock,...will haunt thre very soul of its leaver. verily verily i say these things unto you. if they were not tru i would say so.

Windsor Furnace 3/2007, Matthewski burning all junk in a cleanup effort (natural stuff....mostly)

remember you found that old boos still?

The Weasel
02-25-2008, 15:16
I burn it and will continue to burn everything that will burn.

I talked with someone who did a lot of research on ozone and contaniments. He basically said that one valcano reruption puts out more green house gases than mankind could ever hope to.

well dang, i shure wish your pal had told al gore bout that before he made his stupid movie. thanks for telling me we can trash the environment any ol' way. makes life so much easier. :D

TW

TACKLE
02-25-2008, 15:27
burning trash is pure laziness. goes hand in hand with shelter dwellers

Why do you always attack people who prefer to stay in shelters?
And do you really carry out your poop? How?

Bob S
02-25-2008, 15:53
I always have burned things and will continue to do so. But that doesn’t mean I don’t take out what is left after the fire has cooled.

I don’t think I have run across plastic paper as it all so far has turned to ash and not a glob of plastic.

The Weasel
02-25-2008, 16:41
Bob:

Most candy wrappers and power bar wrappers are.

TW

hammock engineer
02-25-2008, 16:42
well dang, i shure wish your pal had told al gore bout that before he made his stupid movie. thanks for telling me we can trash the environment any ol' way. makes life so much easier. :D

TW

Glad I could clear things up for you.:rolleyes:

The Weasel
02-25-2008, 16:45
Glad I could clear things up for you.:rolleyes:

Just one question: Can you give me your home address? If it doesn't matter, really, I could save some serious bucks by leaving all my garbage in your front lawn or, if you're too far away, you could help someone else out. So just post it here, and anyone with garbage will know where to leave it.

Thanks so much! :D

TW

hammock engineer
02-25-2008, 16:55
Just put it out in front of your house. I make it most places every week to collect.

Lone Wolf
02-25-2008, 20:45
Why do you always attack people who prefer to stay in shelters?
And do you really carry out your poop? How?

i don't carry out poop. attacking shelter dwellers? nah. i just don't understand them

weary
02-25-2008, 20:47
That's because you are politically correct and really know nothing about the issue, I suspect.

WalkingStick75
02-26-2008, 16:59
If a fire is going I will throw in paper or items that will burn completely. No plastics or foil. It still seams that I pack out more then I take in picking up trash left by others. The only place that I gave up on picking up trash was in SNP, way too much trash in that section.

TACKLE
02-26-2008, 18:00
just like poop, all trash should be packed out

This is where I got the poop thing.