PDA

View Full Version : Eureka Solo Solitaire Tent...Any good?

sirbingo
02-19-2008, 14:43
Has any one here used the Eureka Solo Solitaire Tent (http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-2628307-Solo-Solitaire-Tent/dp/B000EQCVNY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1203446492&sr=1-1)

Is it any good?

Summit
02-19-2008, 18:36
A couple of the reviews at the Amazon link you provided echo my caution on this one. No room - you're in a cocoon once you slide in. If rain or cold-bound at campsite, that can be a real pain. Also, not free standing could be a problem, maybe not as much in the East as out West, but it is certainly a negative feature. Personally, I prefer a very light, two-person tent for solo backpacking, as the extra room is really to be appreciated.

Press
02-20-2008, 03:27
I have one, bought it because it was cheap and light. A hassle to set up because it has about a million stakes, or at least a dozen or more. Plus it is very tight inside. Can't sit up at all. On the positive side, it is light, it is cheap, and I slept in it through a 12-hour rain storm last summer with no leaks, nice and snug. Would I buy it again, probably not.

rafe
02-20-2008, 07:43
If it is anything like my ancient Eureka Gossamer: it's cramped, not freestanding, but relatively light, rugged, quick to set up, and absolutely dry. The small footprint can be an advantage -- easier to find spots to pitch it. You will need to stash your pack outside for the night.

Toolshed
02-20-2008, 08:35
I believe the Solitaire is a little heavier than the gossamer. I think it has FG poles rather than AL.
I carried a Gossamer back around 91 for a year (S/S/F) and it certainly served its purpose. It was a cheap lightweight shelter, that offered little more than protection from the elements. I bought a bivy sack the next year and sold the gossamer.
There is a reason there are always a lot of the Solitaires on sale on eBay and such, people buy them, enamored with the 2 lb weight, but then find they value sitting up in the elements more than the lightweight.
If you are really looking for a tent like this, try out the clip flashlight. A pound or so heavier, but room to sit-up.

jersey joe
02-20-2008, 09:24
I thru hiked with the eureka gossamer tent.(same tent with aluminum poles)
I mostly used shelters and used the tent about 20 times and it served its purpose.
As posted it is very tight in this tent, can't sit up, but the price is right.

I also had issues with both sets of aluminum poles eventually breaking, which is why I'm guessing they are now only going with the fiberglass.

rafe
02-20-2008, 09:33
FWIW, the Gossamer is a very old design, no longer made. It's almost exactly 3 lbs. Double-walled. The fly is in two sections. It can be rolled up completely, but not removed. Five stakes for the tent w/o fly. Three more stakes for the lower (main) part of the fly, and another two stakes for the upper part. It's quite similar to the Sierra Designs LightYear, but a bit smaller and lighter.

Imayroam
02-20-2008, 09:34
My friend who thru-hiked last year broke a pole for his the first week he was it. Even with the pole not broken it was very cramped. We called it the **** sleeve. I mailed him my Squal 2 Tarptent and he thru-hiked with that instead.

jersey joe
02-20-2008, 09:37
A broken pole is pretty inconvenient when on a thru.
Campmor hooked me up with new poles, no questions asked. The guy had seen it before.

Grampie
02-20-2008, 14:52
I used one for the second half of my thru. It is very light, just over 2lbs.. It offers good bug protection and will keep you dry. What you give up is: Small inside, my pack wouldn't fit, Not free standing and you have to sit on the ground aside it and slide in. I slept in it around 50 nights. It's a good tent if you know what you are getting into.

Phreak
02-20-2008, 15:14
I have this tent. Used it once and it now sits in the gear closet. Too heavy for the little bit of room it provides. I'd look at other options for a shelter.

StarLyte
02-20-2008, 15:33
It's too small. If you require more space, don't buy it.

I used it on a 5 day hike and sold it for $20 at a garage sale afterwards.

I'm only 5'6" so I was able to fit my pack in it at my feet, that was the only advantage.

taildragger
02-20-2008, 16:07
If going the bivy route, maybe look into one of these, they can be found on ebay on the cheap.

Remember, get a good tent, its one of the things that can make sure that you live through a bad night.

http://www.bdel.com/gear/lightsabre.php

rafe
02-20-2008, 18:04
It's too small. If you require more space, don't buy it.

I used it on a 5 day hike and sold it for $20 at a garage sale afterwards.

I'm only 5'6" so I was able to fit my pack in it at my feet, that was the only advantage.

Starlyte, is that the Solitaire? If so, it looks exactly like the old Gossamer... :-?