PDA

View Full Version : Black Fly Season

Whitey9457
02-19-2008, 15:18
So I've been planning a June hike (starting as close to memorial day as possible) and going as long as I want until the end of june. I am from NH/VT and was going to hike from the MA/VT border to the NH/ME border, but I'm getting nervous about how bad the flies are going to be...does anybody have any input? Should I not worry about this or are there any other suggestions of places to hike/backpack/camp for about a month where the black flies wouldn't be as bad, but comparable to the white mtns? Thanks

Bob S
02-19-2008, 15:44
Take lots of DEET, Sawyer Broad Spectrum is a mix of 3-different chemicals (DEET, R-246 & R-326) the combo of these 3 works well on flies. Spray all clothes with Permethrin (have some in your drop boxes to re-spray it)

Get a tent with no-see-um (sp?) netting and sleep in it instead of shelters that offer no protection.

Get a head net to keep them out of your hair, eyes, nose and ears. Spray it with Permethrin.

Set up camp where there is lots of wind if you can.

Jim Adams
02-19-2008, 15:45
Shouldn't be too bad if you stay at altitude most of the time. Black flies breed in moving water (streams and rivers) which there is not alot of water with volume up high and also the breeze should help to keep them at bay...this is just a guess though...I've been in some very severe black fly areas in the North but none at altitude.

geek

fivel
02-19-2008, 16:30
I wouldn't let the black flies convince you to change your hiking plans. However, I would definitely bring DEET. And strong DEET (I use 95% - Ben's 100 Max). I tried to use the natural stuff, being wary of DEET, but I found that it didn't work nearly as well and the flies bothered me enough to switch. Don't get it on your clothes or near your food but otherwise spray away.

Tinker
02-19-2008, 17:05
Black fly numbers begin to decline in mid June in the White Mountains as fast running streams begin to lose their water volume. May is the worst month. In June you may have occasional problems with them. They may hold you hostage in your tent or hammock. If you're using a tarp, have a good bug netting shelter.

Blue Jay
02-19-2008, 17:42
Black fly numbers begin to decline in mid June in the White Mountains as fast running streams begin to lose their water volume. May is the worst month. In June you may have occasional problems with them. They may hold you hostage in your tent or hammock. If you're using a tarp, have a good bug netting shelter.

This is true, however much depends upon temperature. If it's a cold year, the May microclimates slide into June. You want a warm or even hot May and you'll be fine. Cold and wet, they'll be hungry. Some of them use DEET as a sauce.

earlylight
02-19-2008, 18:21
You'll be hiking the part of the AT that coincides with the southern third of Long Trail in VT. According to the Long Trail Guide, June is supposed to be peak black fly season. The Green Mountain Club also asks that you don't hike this section before Memorial Day to prevent erosion, so it looks like you are stuck with June unless you decide to start north and hike south, or flip flop.

I'm going to be section hiking the LT this summer, starting in southern Vermont. I am planning to start in late June in order to avoid as many black flies as possible, but was planning to bring along Ben's 100 as a condiment!

Good luck ... bring some benedryl cream with you.

Whitey9457
02-19-2008, 18:21
Yeah no matter what I'm def. gonna bring my tent

Whitey9457
02-19-2008, 18:22
and good call on the benadryl haha

mudhead
02-19-2008, 18:28
AfterBite. Don't leave home without it.

If you are in FL now, you might be concerned about being chilly in June up here.

Don't fret about the blackflies, they only want your blood.

GlazeDog
02-19-2008, 21:39
Don't forget the mental game---their down side is also their up side.

http://www.lgtees.com/blackfly.html

Who knows what would become of Maine if it wasn't for the protection they offer. :)

GlazeDog

woodsy
02-19-2008, 21:44
Who knows what would become of Maine if it wasn't for the protection they offer. :)

GlazeDog

Our not so secret weapon against tourists:D
With any luck, we will have a not so many blackflies season like 07.