PDA

View Full Version : transfer cans to freezer bags

stillbill
02-19-2008, 16:02
Is it possible to transfer contents of cans to bags or would it not work and be a waste of time and energy?

sarbar
02-19-2008, 16:10
Only for short term storage - for instance for an overnight trip where you are packing in dinner for that day. Otherwise, for beyond a couple hours you run a real risk of food poisoning.

jlb2012
02-19-2008, 17:30
run the can contents through a dehydrator then put the dehydrated contents into a freezer bag is OK however

Appalachian Tater
02-19-2008, 17:35
Depends on what's in the can. If it were Pringles, peanuts, or beef jerky, it wouldn't be a problem at all. It also wouldn't be a problem if you made sure the temperatures were 32 deg F or below.

Christopher Robin
02-19-2008, 18:24
run the can contents through a dehydrator then put the dehydrated contents into a freezer bag is OK however
I 'm doing that right now, then place in a zip-lock bag then on the trail just & water. I've heard other people say to put in the freezer, I bag and store in a cool place. What is the diffrents, and do it help when it's in a hot backpack for a week at a time.

sarbar
02-19-2008, 19:01
I 'm doing that right now, then place in a zip-lock bag then on the trail just & water. I've heard other people say to put in the freezer, I bag and store in a cool place. What is the diffrents, and do it help when it's in a hot backpack for a week at a time.

On dehydrated food: storage in freezer is good if you are doing meat/dairy containing foods. Keeps it fresher longer. If carbs/veggies/fruit the shelf is fine for storage.

Dried stuff is fine in your pack - the storage at home can add months more of storage life though :)

I try to cycle through meat and dairy items in 6 months, everything else within a year. Not hard to do if you hike a lot ;)

Bob S
02-19-2008, 19:55
I like ravioli; can a can of this be successfully dehydrated and then re-hydrated?

Also how do you dehydrate it, it’s messy and would flow over the tray edge?

Appalachian Tater
02-19-2008, 20:02
I like ravioli; can a can of this be successfully dehydrated and then re-hydrated?Have you tried the tortellini that you can buy in a box at the grocery store? They are shaped differently from ravioli but are pasta with a cheese filling. They are very good with a bullion cube, sun-dried tomatoes, and pepperoni.

sarbar
02-19-2008, 21:06
Bob, for messy items...line your trays with parchment paper cut to fit :) Works perfectly!

Topcat
02-19-2008, 21:12
With Ravioli, i would be concerned about being able to get the stuffing dried, but i can envision splitting the raviolis along the seem and dehydrating them