PDA

View Full Version : I baked a Cheesecake!

wystiria
02-19-2008, 18:05
Yes you read they right! I actually baked a cheesecake this weeknd on the trail at Mt. Algo SH in CT :) I used my favorite recipe (Tyler's Ultimate from the food netowrk) pre mixed the crust and cake part ahead and brought with me in ziplocks. Put it togehter in my 2 qt MSR pan and then baked it with my outback oven.

And it came out PERFECT! lol I felt like a master pastry chef LOL. anyway it was heavy and I wouldnt' have been able to do it in warm temperatures. but in the cold and out for a weekend it was a lot of fun!

here are some pictures

in the pan after baking
http://shutter13.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/04/007/7D/75/52/91/VppBffCjL6ZFfVsn33Vt9OCiz7QP+4QE012C.jpg

out of the pan completely done
http://shutter07.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/19/007/7F/6F/08/59/FkqtU9Wb1V4wFObzqQd4QF0EaGUq8anp012C.jpg

Me proudly displaying
http://shutter08.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/22/004/1C/19/E1/78/Z1eBLl8FUaFwmrCPPf+1jaBVl3nrNPgC01C2.jpg

a close up
http://shutter07.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/19/008/70/FF/3F/12/0YDfz7bt+RFUUFvn6ngYASdIdZrRgMNg012C.jpg

hobojoe
02-19-2008, 18:06
Looks delicious! Well done!

mudhead
02-19-2008, 18:10
You weren't too pleased with yourself and your creation, were you!

Glad it worked. Was it tasty?

Hooch
02-19-2008, 18:10
Speaking as someone who loves cheesecake, that's pretty doggone cool. I'll have to check out that recipe! Try Tyler's Ultimate chicken soup if you get a chance, the recipe is out of this world! :banana

Monkeyboy
02-19-2008, 18:11
Recipe??????

Appalachian Tater
02-19-2008, 18:12
Yum! Yum!

Jim Adams
02-19-2008, 18:12
Wystiria,
Nice cake!
Cheese cake is great as an after dinner snack in the woods.

Although I've never baked one, I've used the no bake mixes for years. I make the graham cracker crust in a metal porcelin dish, pour in the mix, cover with a second dish and place it in a spring for an hour. It will chill just fine....cheese cake all summer on the trail!

geek

Hooch
02-19-2008, 18:15
Recipe??????Is this it? www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_23173,00.html

wystiria
02-19-2008, 18:17
yeah we ate it for breakfast too! actually a pretty darn good breakfast!

this is the recipe I used - I typically make it at home :) i obviously made some backwoods changes....like i didn't use a water bath! lol

FWIW I have used the bo-bake packets too :) but this was the challeng I was looking for

Crust:
2 cups finely ground graham crackers (about 30 squares)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 stick unsalted butter, melted

Filling:
1 pound cream cheese, 2 (8-ounce) blocks, softened
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 pint sour cream
1 lemon, zested
1 dash vanilla extract

Warm Lemon Blueberry Topping, recipe follows
For the Crust:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl, combine the ingredients with a fork until evenly moistened. Lightly coat the bottom and sides of an 8-inch springform pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Pour the crumbs into the pan and, using the bottom of a measuring cup or the smooth bottom of a glass, press the crumbs down into the base and 1-inch up the sides. Refrigerate for 5 minutes.

For the Filling:
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese on low speed for 1 minute until smooth and free of any lumps. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and continue to beat slowly until combined. Gradually add sugar and beat until creamy, for 1 to 2 minutes.

Add sour cream, lemon zest, and vanilla. Periodically scrape down the sides of the bowl and the beaters. The batter should be well-mixed but not overbeaten. Pour the filling into the crust-lined pan and smooth the top with a spatula.

Set the cheesecake pan on a large piece of aluminum foil and fold up the sides around it. Place the cake pan in a large roasting pan. Pour boiling water into the roasting pan until the water is about halfway up the sides of the cheesecake pan; the foil will keep the water from seeping into the cheesecake. Bake for 45 minutes. The cheesecake should still jiggle (it will firm up after chilling), so be careful not to overcook. Let cool in pan for 30 minutes. Chill in the refrigerator, loosely covered, for at least 4 hours. Loosen the cheesecake from the sides of the pan by running a thin metal spatula around the inside rim. Unmold and transfer to a cake plate. Using a spatula spread a layer of Warm Lemon Blueberry topping over the surface.
Slice the cheesecake with a thin, non-serrated knife that has been dipped in hot water. Wipe dry after each cut.

Warm Lemon Blueberries:
1 pint blueberries
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 tablespoons sugar

In a small saucepan add all the ingredients and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes or so until the fruit begins to break down slightly. Leave to cool before spreading on cheesecake.
Yield: 6 servings

sarbar
02-19-2008, 19:04
Drooling.......where are the samples? :D :D I heart cheesecake!

jzakhar
02-19-2008, 19:06
It was so good, what a way to start your morning, a nice hot cup of tea and some cheesecake.

neo
02-19-2008, 19:10
Yes you read they right! I actually baked a cheesecake this weeknd on the trail at Mt. Algo SH in CT :) I used my favorite recipe (Tyler's Ultimate from the food netowrk) pre mixed the crust and cake part ahead and brought with me in ziplocks. Put it togehter in my 2 qt MSR pan and then baked it with my outback oven.

And it came out PERFECT! lol I felt like a master pastry chef LOL. anyway it was heavy and I wouldnt' have been able to do it in warm temperatures. but in the cold and out for a weekend it was a lot of fun!

here are some pictures

in the pan after baking
http://shutter13.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/04/007/7D/75/52/91/VppBffCjL6ZFfVsn33Vt9OCiz7QP+4QE012C.jpg

out of the pan completely done
http://shutter07.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/19/007/7F/6F/08/59/FkqtU9Wb1V4wFObzqQd4QF0EaGUq8anp012C.jpg

Me proudly displaying
http://shutter08.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/22/004/1C/19/E1/78/Z1eBLl8FUaFwmrCPPf+1jaBVl3nrNPgC01C2.jpg

a close up
http://shutter07.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/19/008/70/FF/3F/12/0YDfz7bt+RFUUFvn6ngYASdIdZrRgMNg012C.jpg

:)wow looks pretty yummy to me:cool:neo

Hooch
02-19-2008, 19:10
yeah we ate it for breakfast too! actually a pretty darn good breakfast!

this is the recipe I used - I typically make it at home :) i obviously made some backwoods changes....like i didn't use a water bath! lol

FWIW I have used the bo-bake packets too :) but this was the challeng I was looking for

Crust:
2 cups finely ground graham crackers (about 30 squares)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 stick unsalted butter, melted

Filling:
1 pound cream cheese, 2 (8-ounce) blocks, softened
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 pint sour cream
1 lemon, zested
1 dash vanilla extract

Warm Lemon Blueberry Topping, recipe follows
For the Crust:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl, combine the ingredients with a fork until evenly moistened. Lightly coat the bottom and sides of an 8-inch springform pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Pour the crumbs into the pan and, using the bottom of a measuring cup or the smooth bottom of a glass, press the crumbs down into the base and 1-inch up the sides. Refrigerate for 5 minutes.

For the Filling:
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese on low speed for 1 minute until smooth and free of any lumps. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and continue to beat slowly until combined. Gradually add sugar and beat until creamy, for 1 to 2 minutes.

Add sour cream, lemon zest, and vanilla. Periodically scrape down the sides of the bowl and the beaters. The batter should be well-mixed but not overbeaten. Pour the filling into the crust-lined pan and smooth the top with a spatula.

Set the cheesecake pan on a large piece of aluminum foil and fold up the sides around it. Place the cake pan in a large roasting pan. Pour boiling water into the roasting pan until the water is about halfway up the sides of the cheesecake pan; the foil will keep the water from seeping into the cheesecake. Bake for 45 minutes. The cheesecake should still jiggle (it will firm up after chilling), so be careful not to overcook. Let cool in pan for 30 minutes. Chill in the refrigerator, loosely covered, for at least 4 hours. Loosen the cheesecake from the sides of the pan by running a thin metal spatula around the inside rim. Unmold and transfer to a cake plate. Using a spatula spread a layer of Warm Lemon Blueberry topping over the surface.
Slice the cheesecake with a thin, non-serrated knife that has been dipped in hot water. Wipe dry after each cut.

Warm Lemon Blueberries:
1 pint blueberries
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 tablespoons sugar

In a small saucepan add all the ingredients and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes or so until the fruit begins to break down slightly. Leave to cool before spreading on cheesecake.
Yield: 6 servings
Seems like you need to come down south, hike ith us and make a cheesecake for allto share! I'll chip in on gas money. :D

Jason of the Woods
02-19-2008, 19:16
mmmmmm........cheesecake!;)

Mrs Baggins
02-19-2008, 19:23
Gosh, I'd love to be really happy for you............:) but apparently my best hiking buddy would rather hike with you now for your cheesecake:mad:.......now I"ll have to figure out how to make it. :-?

Topcat
02-19-2008, 21:16
Wysteria,
I have basically decided that you are the perfect woman...

Hiking and baking, who'd of thought it...

Phil1959
02-19-2008, 22:11
You people are totally nuts! You are supposed to suffer out in the woods eating Ramen and other packaged crap that you put into your expensive gear! How dare you have fun and make cheesecake! That is as bad as me carrying a bag of beer in one hand and another of tasty food out of town on my thuhike.You would not believe the dumb question I kept getting.You are carrying bags in your HANDS! Yes and gonna bake a damn cheesecake while I drink me beer! I wish I would of thought of that!

wystiria
02-20-2008, 09:22
awwww thanks :) I am both blushing and laughing out loud! good way to start the morning.

its not hard to bake on the trail - and the mixes have come a long way these days! so you can do things in the summer too. you just have to be willing to carry a little more weight. I am famous for my baked goods but mostly I make them cause it makes me happy - I also LOVE to make calzones on the trail. inverted ones so the fillings and sauce are all on the inside.

anyway I will be out for a 10 day section in VT in late June early July if people want to meet up with us and we can have a bake off :)

Don't worry Mrs Baggins I wont steal your Hiking partner :) I have a permanent one myself ;) BUT would love to come south and do some hiking. Maybe in 09 as I have already planned out the husbands meager vacation for the year.

wystiria
02-20-2008, 09:26
LOL and Mudhead I was like a little kid over not burning the crust! lol so yes indeed proud of myself cause I wasn't really sure it would work....and then we would have carried that weight for nothing. and the DH would beat me *grin*

Heater
02-20-2008, 10:10
You people are totally nuts! You are supposed to suffer out in the woods eating Ramen and other packaged crap that you put into your expensive gear! How dare you have fun and make cheesecake! That is as bad as me carrying a bag of beer in one hand and another of tasty food out of town on my thuhike.You would not believe the dumb question I kept getting.You are carrying bags in your HANDS! Yes and gonna bake a damn cheesecake while I drink me beer! I wish I would of thought of that!

A "bag" of beer?

Heater
02-20-2008, 10:12
A "bag" of beer?

I have heard of a bag of wine... like in the box... but beer?!!

Philippe
02-27-2008, 20:53
Fresh baked cheesecake on the trail. Wow! The boys are going to be wondering if there's anymore like you at home.