PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Size

Whitey9457
02-19-2008, 18:33
When you're hiking for a long time, what size pack do you like and what do you sacrifice/gain from it? If you pack light, what would you bring in addition if you had a bigger pack?I have a few packs and I'm trying to decide which size to aim for (not really sure if I should decide on a pack first and work with what I have, or decide what I'm going to bring and then find a pack to accomodate it).Let me know what you think..

hobojoe
02-19-2008, 18:40
I don't like to sacrifice hip belt and shoulder padding. Alot of packs smaller than 3000 cubes sacrifice this because you don't need it, I can't stand said packs. Granite gear never seems to lack padding at any size, that being said Ill probably go for close to 3500 cubes with plenty of overflow for beer and booze.

Footslogger
02-19-2008, 18:45
When you're hiking for a long time, what size pack do you like and what do you sacrifice/gain from it? If you pack light, what would you bring in addition if you had a bigger pack?I have a few packs and I'm trying to decide which size to aim for (not really sure if I should decide on a pack first and work with what I have, or decide what I'm going to bring and then find a pack to accomodate it).Let me know what you think..
==========================

I've run the gammut and have a gear locker full of packs (and other stuff) to show for it. If you think you are going to be backpacking for a while, save yourself the time and expense and get a pack that will hold your stuff - - no more, no less. In other words, do what you said at the end of your post. Assemble your stuff, take it to an outfitter and load it into several different packs. - - then pick the one that meets your needs and is the most comfortable.

For you personally, that might be a heavier pack than I might want. But it would be RIGHT for you.

'Slogger

Appalachian Tater
02-19-2008, 18:48
Some flexibility is nice if you want to do a big resupply.

Egads
02-19-2008, 18:57
Whitey9457,

My advice to you is to select your necessary gear, food, & water. Then your luxury items. Choose the pack that it all fits into the best.

I carry different sizes depending on my gear, season, and duration. I have a 4600 for winter use, I have a 3200 for 3 season use.

Egads

ScottP
02-19-2008, 19:07
People use 1,200 cubic inch packs all the way up to 6,500 cubic inch packs. Depends on your style.

excuses
02-19-2008, 23:04
I vote for the 3500 cc pack. As I get older my pack gets smaller. My gear also gets smaller so that works out. IMO as we age our needs change and so does out gear. That leads to the closet or attic full.

Summit
02-20-2008, 00:44
If you plan to do hikes of greater than a week and do not want to bother with reprovisioning food, get a larger cu. in. pack, such as this one . . .

CursedKarma
02-20-2008, 04:19
To make it simple:
Most people pack what they want, any way. So just figure out what you are going to bring and find the pack that it fits in. I stick with a 2000 cube for three seasons down here in GA. (23lbs with food and water) I have a bad habit of carrying too much water. This is packing for 5 days. If I need to be out longer than that, I usually am stopping somewhere to re-supply.

With a small pack: You have to leave more luxury items back at the house, everything must be multi purpose, and you will have to re-supply more often. The positives are your will pack less.

With a large pack: you should be able to carry more, re-supply less, and bring more luxury items. The negatives are you will have a heavier pack.

Just my 2 cents

Whitey9457
02-20-2008, 12:40
I'll prolly stick with my 3500 because its my favorite, i wasn't sure someone told me 3500 was like the minimum i'd want so I was gonna go for a 4500-5000 but i'll just save the money and pack lighter than he did i guess

jaiden
02-20-2008, 15:27
buy your stuff first, then buy a pack it will fit in. not the other way around.

I should say though that you should make a gear spreadsheet first, put your ideas on what you want in it, and then decide which stuff to buy.

taildragger
02-20-2008, 16:03
I own 2 backpacks.

I have a 3500CI or so external frame that I might be converting to a hunting pack (easy to lash gear to it, as well as a hog).

I also got a 5500CI internal that has been my primary pack. I do some photography and it was the right size, then about a month later I shrank my gear :mad:, so now I have a 7lbs pack (oops) and a base weight around 15lbs.

Honestly, I figure that a 4300CI or so bag is the perfect all around size. For lighter loads, just let your sleeping bag take up the extra space, and don't compress things so much. It also gives you the flexibility to take longer trips w/o resupply, and most importantly, the ability to carry liquid dessert (beer).