PDA

View Full Version : Rusty's Status Changes?

Survivor Dave
02-19-2008, 19:10
Could someone please explain why Rusty's has made 2 changes in the past couple of months. I read a comment by Lone Wolf in the correction section of the Appalachian Pages about it.

The first was that there was a minimum $20 fee(not donation) and now I hear that he is only accepting previous hikers to stay and no new hikers.

"No phone, no light, no motor car, not a single luxury...." for twenty bucks?

What's the deal here? I was kinda planning on stopping through, but it sounds like he is a really strange. There are other things that have been floating around about him as well. I'll let your mind run wild on that one.

hobojoe
02-19-2008, 19:19
I have it on good word (lowrider) as recent as a week ago, That Rusty's hard time hollow is closed to NEW hikers.

hobojoe
02-19-2008, 19:21
Could someone please explain why Rusty's has made 2 changes in the past couple of months. I read a comment by Lone Wolf in the correction section of the Appalachian Pages about it.

The first was that there was a minimum $20 fee(not donation) and now I hear that he is only accepting previous hikers to stay and no new hikers.

What's the deal here? I was kinda planning on stopping through, but it sounds like he is a really strange. There are other things that have been floating around about him as well. I'll let your mind run wild on that one.
He has a phone an electric light and a couple of motor cars, as for luxuries, a wood fired hot tub not good enough for you??? .......Oh, he is crazy by the way, but a special, warm, and fun kind of crazy.

Survivor Dave
02-19-2008, 19:28
Hobojoe, it's not the tub itself I have issue with, it's the company. I've heard from more than one hiker...........

He has a phone an electric light and a couple of motor cars, as for luxuries, a wood fired hot tub not good enough for you??? .......Oh, he is crazy by the way, but a special, warm, and fun kind of crazy.

A-Train
02-19-2008, 19:29
Waynesboro is close by, and a good trail town with everything you need. No reason to go to Rustys.

Survivor Dave
02-19-2008, 19:34
Thanks A-Train.

I was looking in the Appalachian Pages and saw that. I hope the hell it's not pouring rain that day or I have an injury.

I'm trying to keep a 60's open mind about it.

Waynesboro is close by, and a good trail town with everything you need. No reason to go to Rustys.

minnesotasmith
02-19-2008, 19:45
Sure, it's a good-sized town, with all the grocery stores, etc. anyone could want. However, AFAIK, there is still just the church hostel there, which locks hikers out during 8-5. Kind of inconvenient to take clothes to do laundry, drop them off, buy food for resupply, drop it off, start packing relatively early in the day for leaving the next day bright and early while still getting a ton of sleep the night before, etc.

While passing that way during my thruhike in 2006, I was offered and accepted an offer by someone now active on WhiteBlaze to stay in their home over using the hostel in Waynesboro, and was very glad of it.

Rusty's definitely has issues from what I have heard (I have never been there), but there is no grade-A hostel in Waynesboro to compete with it.

max patch
02-19-2008, 19:49
I stayed at a hotel in Waynesboro that had a POOL.

Jack Tarlin
02-19-2008, 19:53
Right, Smitty, but you can camp by the YMCA for almost nothing, or there are any number of motels.

The "hostel" in Waynesboro is a place to sleep, and they don't want hikers coming and going......or simply hanging around......all day long.

And I can't say I blame them.

And I'm not sure Rusty's "competes" with A-Grade hostels, whatever an "A-Grade" hostel is. Most Trail hostels have full bathrooms with plenty of hot water; they offer laundry services; a phone; in many cases a computer; usually a full kitchen that hikers can use; shuttle services; tenting; a TV room, and other amenities. As far as I know, Rusty doesn't offer any of this.

His place is indeed unique, but I don't think it's right to compare it to full service Trail hostels.

Survivor Dave
02-19-2008, 20:01
Thanks Jack.
I was checking out the Y and they work on donations. Camp, hot showers, lot's of facilities in town to keep me occupied.

Is it correct that it is about 29 miles from Rusty's to Waynesboro? It doesn't appear to be a tough trek to Waynesboro.

Right, Smitty, but you can camp by the YMCA for almost nothing, or there are any number of motels.

The "hostel" in Waynesboro is a place to sleep, and they don't want hikers coming and going......or simply hanging around......all day long.

And I can't say I blame them.

And I'm not sure Rusty's "competes" with A-Grade hostels, whatever an "A-Grade" hostel is. Most Trail hostels have full bathrooms with plenty of hot water; they offer laundry services; a phone; in many cases a computer; usually a full kitchen that hikers can use; shuttle services; tenting; a TV room, and other amenities. As far as I know, Rusty doesn't offer any of this.

His place is indeed unique, but I don't think it's right to compare it to full service Trail hostels.

CrumbSnatcher
02-19-2008, 20:05
i never cared for this place,but some people loved it. i knew of hikers that took multiple days off at rustys. i prefer to move on to waynesboro. free tenting or a good motel. great grocerie store and alot of fast food. dont judge rusty without checking it out for yourself, your dog will have to stay in a pen if you stay there, that was the biggest turnoff for me. rusty has been saying no new hikers for at least 5 or 6 years,just be polite and offer a donation.

Jack Tarlin
02-19-2008, 20:07
Rusty's is a couple miles walk from Maupin Field Shelter. The Shelter is about 21 miles from Waynesboro, so no, it's less than 29 miles.

And some of this 21 is a bit rocky; if you're planning to go from Maupin to Waynesboro in a day, I'd leave early in the morning. Or more likely, I wouldn't do it all in a day, unless I wanted to arrive in town at dusk.

minnesotasmith
02-19-2008, 20:28
That's actually pretty easy to define IMO.

1) The staff actually welcomes and understands hikers, being sympathetic to their issues.

2) Hikers can come and go 24 hours a day, as long as they are not disturbing others.

3) It is a secure place to leave their gear.

4) Does not have a price exceeding 20.00/night in the South, or 25.00/night in the North.

5) Has hot showers on premises.

6) Has laundering facilities, nonpay telephone (so does not eat up calling cards) and Internet access on site, or within easy walking distance with decent hours at a reasonable price (preferably free for Internet).

7) Has a common large bunkroom, ideally with either or both of sleeping pads or at least nonsplintery (Thermarest-non-puncturing) surfaces.

8) Does not limit hikers to a single night.

9) Ideally is either located within a mile of a full grocery store, or inexpensive rides to and from same are available.

10) Is located either within a mile of the Trail, or is a single not-too-difficult hitch under 10 miles or so from a Trail/paved-road crossing.

11) Happily accepts mail drops for no extra fee, and keeps them secure.

Note that work-for-stay, couples rooms, allowing booze or dogs, offering meals, having a hot tub, having a scenic view, offering frisbee/boardgames/lawn games, having a library, offering slackpacking services, having hardwood floors and fancy wall art, etc. are NOT mentioned as essential to a hostel being top-notch IMO. They can be desirable (well, except for allowing in dogs, for most hikers), but are not core requirements.

Jack Tarlin
02-19-2008, 20:37
Your list is pretty complete, Smitty, except that any place that permits hikers to come and go 24 hours a day is not a secure place to leave one's gear. (Witness the recurrent theft problems at The Place in Damasacus,for example).

I would also be willing to pay more than $25.00 per night up North, depending on the level of services offered, or if a ride back to the Trail was included, etc.

RITBlake
02-19-2008, 20:39
Rustys may not be the 'best' or 'deluxe' hostel out there but it certainly is one of the more unique ones. Was glad to have spent the time there and can say nothing but good things about it.

MS why bother hiking, just drive from holiday inn to another, what a baby.

minnesotasmith
02-19-2008, 20:59
[quote=Jack Tarlin;542663](Witness the recurrent theft problems at The Place in Damasacus,for example).[quote]

I was told by a native of Damascus that The Place allows unemployed homeless people to stay there, many of whom subsist in whole or in part by theft from productive people. That was why it had such a theft problem, and why I avoided the place without wanting to know anything else about it.

Lone Wolf
02-19-2008, 21:28
i say avoid rusty's. total inconsistency when you go there. not a hostel in the true sense of the word.

Survivor Dave
02-19-2008, 21:35
Thanks Wolf. I think at this time I have a pretty good idea of what my plans will be when hiking around that vicinity.

I do appreciate all the valuable info y'all.

SD

i say avoid rusty's. total inconsistency when you go there. not a hostel in the true sense of the word.

Phil1959
02-19-2008, 21:56
Hey Survivor Dave! Can I add my 2 cents worth? When ya go on the hike,it is best to be open to whatever presents itself,instead of planning every step.I would of went to Rusty's just to check it out.Some of my friends had a ball there.But in my case it worked out best to keep moving that day and enjoy 2 days of Waynesboro.I had a blast at the YMCA campground on the river!

Almost There
02-19-2008, 22:12
Rustys may not be the 'best' or 'deluxe' hostel out there but it certainly is one of the more unique ones. Was glad to have spent the time there and can say nothing but good things about it.

MS why bother hiking, just drive from holiday inn to another, what a baby.

Yeah, but Blake you were a cutie when you went thru and stayed at Rusty's!!!:eek:

There I said it, whatcha gonna do!:banana

Almost There
02-19-2008, 22:15
Here's what you do, hit the Blue Ridge Parkway and hike it down to Rockfish Gap:banana...nice and easy...then get into Waynesboro, and stay there, better amenities and FOOD!!!

Yes I had to make the case for a decent road walk!!!:D

And I know you won't do it Dave, but you should....c'mon, come over to the dark side of the AT!!!:cool:

Survivor Dave
02-19-2008, 22:22
No thanks Almost.
We had a looooong conversation about this. I'll head into Waynesboro. Although I'm not a "cutie" as you said to someone else, I try to stay away from the situation. I've never been charged with battery or homicide to this point in my life!:cool::eek::cool:

And stop using that G*d damned banana. I'll have to start calling yo partinj. Do you want that? LMAO

SD

Here's what you do, hit the Blue Ridge Parkway and hike it down to Rockfish Gap:banana...nice and easy...then get into Waynesboro, and stay there, better amenities and FOOD!!!

Yes I had to make the case for a decent road walk!!!:D

And I know you won't do it Dave, but you should....c'mon, come over to the dark side of the AT!!!:cool:

Cheesewhiz
02-19-2008, 22:25
Don't be bad mouthin' Rusty's! Do what I did, do both. However you can't resupply at Rusty's unless he is going in to town. Which is not very often. We got in very early the first day, enjoyed the ***** out of ourselves, stayed the night(not luxurious by any means), Got a big ol' lumberjack pancake breakfast then hit the trail runnin'. Literally, this is a long stretch from Rusty's but it is feasible. The entire group of us(BLAHS 2006, Black Lung Alcoholic Hikers Society) hoofed it into Waynesboro in one day. I had a close encounter with a Great Horned Owl staring me down from 15'-20' as I was heading to the road at dusk. Not an easy hitch in the dark, but someone is bound to pick you up. Lots of Trail Angels in Waynesboro or near by. You could jot down a few numbers of the local angels in your trail guide prior to departure, also the Rockfish Gap visitors center had a list on the window.
P.S. Good enough I went back to Rusty's for New Years

Almost There
02-19-2008, 22:54
Ain't badmouthin' Rusty, just statin' the truth.

Lone Wolf
02-19-2008, 22:58

Cheesewhiz
02-19-2008, 23:01
Unless your a female member of the BLAHS (we did have a couple by the way) AND who's hikin' to meet a chick. You meet the chick in town and take her hiking with you.

Lone Wolf
02-19-2008, 23:02
birds of a feather....

Cheesewhiz
02-19-2008, 23:09
great place for under 30 single guys. women tolerated

Thats why Lone Wolf never had a good time a Rusty's he was there with 27 single men :banana

Lone Wolf
02-19-2008, 23:12
that's funny right there! :D

Cheesewhiz
02-19-2008, 23:13
Thanks!

Marta
02-19-2008, 23:14
I enjoyed my stay at Rusty's in '06. He doesn't get out much and seemed to be glad to have some company. I was the only hiker there at the time, so the partying never got too crazy.

It's not quite like any other hostel on the trail, and it's definitely not like a motel. To quote a lot of different people, "It is what it is."

spittinpigeon
02-19-2008, 23:22
When I got there after you, Rusty was compaining that Snapshot stayed up in the barn the whole time, and didn't come down to talk.
Bandaloop and I both left $20 and stayed up late talking which elicited a hug from Rusty.

fiddlehead
02-19-2008, 23:45
Rusty's is part of the AT experience.
Too bad he's not accepting any new hikers anymore.
THis most likely is temporary from what i've seen or heard from past years.

I had some great and also some not very great memories on my stays there.
It all depends who's there at the time, Rusty's mood and of course; "your mood" (and time available perhaps)

If a hostel in town where you can get to the internet, your mail, and a soft bed is more important to you than checking out interesting side attractions to the trail, then Rusty's probably isn't for you anyway.

neo
02-20-2008, 00:11

i guess he got tired of free loading hikers taking advantage of him year after year.he cooks great panckes to:cool:neo

Thoughtful Owl
02-20-2008, 00:32
Rusty's is a couple miles walk from Maupin Field Shelter. The Shelter is about 21 miles from Waynesboro, so no, it's less than 29 miles.

And some of this 21 is a bit rocky; if you're planning to go from Maupin to Waynesboro in a day, I'd leave early in the morning. Or more likely, I wouldn't do it all in a day, unless I wanted to arrive in town at dusk.

A couple of miles of passing the Paul Wolfe shelter you will come to Rockfish Gap. Go to the visitors center behind an old Hojo's Resturant and they have a list of local folks that will give you a shuttle into Waynesboro. Not only does Waynesboro have plenty of stores and resturants but an excellent outfitter, Rockfish Gap Outfitters.

weary
02-20-2008, 00:54
great place for under 30 single guys. women tolerated
I was twice 30 and then some, when I stopped in 1993. There were 30+ of us, about one-third female. I had a great time. I heard no complaints. When I made slightly negative remarks about Rusty to a woman I was hiking with. she said I was wrong. She insisted Rusty's was the best hostel by far on her walk north from Springer. She was 45 years old. Two 26-year-old girls agreed with her.

Rusty was a bit eccentric, but a good eccentricity. He drove us to town. Bought five gallon tubs of ice cream for us to share. I stayed at virtually every hostel on my liesurely trip north. It is the hostel about which I have the most vivid and pleasant memories.

I suspect the same is true for the more than 30 hikers who were there at the same time.

Weary

RITBlake
02-20-2008, 01:52
Yeah, but Blake you were a cutie when you went thru and stayed at Rusty's!!!:eek:

There I said it, whatcha gonna do!:banana

aww thanks AT, It was Rusty and I, alone for 2 days. Never once did I feel awkward or uncomfortable.

We did some shotgun shooting, worked on a motorcycle he was messing with, and went to an amish lunch/feed on Sunday, pretty neat stuff. Very nice people

Almost There
02-20-2008, 01:56
aww thanks AT, It was Rusty and I, alone for 2 days. Never once did I feel awkward or uncomfortable.

We did some shotgun shooting, worked on a motorcycle he was messing with, and went to an amish lunch/feed on Sunday, pretty neat stuff. Very nice people

Not saying he would ever try anything...I don't think he would, but he does appear to like the young, wirey, athletic types....I'm glad you had a great time.

the goat
02-20-2008, 09:43
Not saying he would ever try anything...I don't think he would, but he does appear to like the young, wirey, athletic types....I'm glad you had a great time.

sounds like you're bitter that he didn't make a pass at you.

WalkinHome
02-20-2008, 10:23
That's actually pretty easy to define IMO.

1) The staff actually welcomes and understands hikers, being sympathetic to their issues.

2) Hikers can come and go 24 hours a day, as long as they are not disturbing others.

3) It is a secure place to leave their gear.

4) Does not have a price exceeding 20.00/night in the South, or 25.00/night in the North.

5) Has hot showers on premises.

6) Has laundering facilities, nonpay telephone (so does not eat up calling cards) and Internet access on site, or within easy walking distance with decent hours at a reasonable price (preferably free for Internet).

7) Has a common large bunkroom, ideally with either or both of sleeping pads or at least nonsplintery (Thermarest-non-puncturing) surfaces.

8) Does not limit hikers to a single night.

9) Ideally is either located within a mile of a full grocery store, or inexpensive rides to and from same are available.

10) Is located either within a mile of the Trail, or is a single not-too-difficult hitch under 10 miles or so from a Trail/paved-road crossing.

11) Happily accepts mail drops for no extra fee, and keeps them secure.

Note that work-for-stay, couples rooms, allowing booze or dogs, offering meals, having a hot tub, having a scenic view, offering frisbee/boardgames/lawn games, having a library, offering slackpacking services, having hardwood floors and fancy wall art, etc. are NOT mentioned as essential to a hostel being top-notch IMO. They can be desirable (well, except for allowing in dogs, for most hikers), but are not core requirements.

Hey, I stayed there in Waynesboro-it was called the Comfort Inn LOL. Had all that and more!!

Almost There
02-20-2008, 10:40
sounds like you're bitter that he didn't make a pass at you.

Dammit Goat,

You got me!:D But I wanna feel pretty too!:eek:

Grampie
02-20-2008, 11:19
During my 01 hike I stopped at Rusty's. I had heard a lot about him and decided to take a look for myself. It is a unique stop on the trail and I considered it an enjoyable experience. I also did hear storys about a lot of young guys hanging out there but saw nothing inproper.
He did do a lot of bitching about hikers who stiffed him and left without giving a donation. I think he just did that to intiminate folks into a larger donation.
I also had a good experience at the Waynesboro Y. Nice area to tent and the use of the y's showers and pool. staying there was also a good experience.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2008, 11:23
any hostel owner that gets "stiffed" ain't runnin' a very good operation

Grampie
02-20-2008, 11:50
any hostel owner that gets "stiffed" ain't runnin' a very good operation

I thought the same thing Wolf. He would tell folks, who asked about how much it was to stay, "give what you want." Than he would criticize them for not giving enough.:-?

hobojoe
02-20-2008, 11:56
I thought the same thing Wolf. He would tell folks, who asked about how much it was to stay, "give what you want." Than he would criticize them for not giving enough.:-?
It's definately true you run a risk by just trusting people, Its just too bad you can't do that any more. Rusty realy helped me out when I was in a bad place. I've spent more than one night staying up past 3 AM talking with him, eating ice cream and antagonizing the "early to bed" folks. Definately don't go there for sleep. "WAKE UP, WAKE UP AND HAVE ICE CREAM" over the loud speaker. I dearly love that man. Glad I'll be welcomed back.

Appalachian Tater
02-20-2008, 13:19
I've spent more than one night staying up past 3 AM talking with him, eating ice cream and antagonizing the "early to bed" folks. Definately don't go there for sleep. "WAKE UP, WAKE UP AND HAVE ICE CREAM" over the loud speaker. Sounds like a real sick-o, making hikers choose between ice cream and sleep!

Marta
02-20-2008, 13:26
When I got there after you, Rusty was compaining that Snapshot stayed up in the barn the whole time, and didn't come down to talk.
Bandaloop and I both left $20 and stayed up late talking which elicited a hug from Rusty.

Snapshot, the hiker originally known as Antisocial, didn't spend much time talking to Rusty? :rolleyes:

My impression is that the way to Rusty's heart is two-pronged--socializing and money. He needs both.

hobojoe
02-20-2008, 13:35
I geuss you have to get his sense of humor. I think he's hilarious, how can you be mad at someone for giving you ice cream? He helped me organize my Shenendoa innertube excursion. I made it two whole miles!!! Rusty was laughing his ass off as he sent Recon and I down the river on 4 car inner tubes strapped to a beer cooler.

RITBlake
02-20-2008, 13:48
My impression is that the way to Rusty's heart is two-pronged--socializing and money. He needs both.

That could be said about most people

Grandma Dixie
02-20-2008, 15:03
I stayed there for 2 nights in 2007 and I am very glad that I did. Rusty is one of a kind. If it's true that he isn't accepting new hikers, I feel for the new hikers who won't get the chance to meet this man. My 2 night stay at Rusty's changed my perspective on our world.

Footslogger
02-20-2008, 15:04
My 2 night stay at Rusty's changed my perspective on our world.

==================================

In what way ??? ...I've never met him.

'Slogger

hobojoe
02-20-2008, 15:41
Rusty has alot of love in his heart for hikers. When they let him down (and I've seen it myself) it realy upsets him. He definately reinforced the Ideal that the trail has nothing to do with miles or speed or how much your pack weighs. He also taught me to hike with a frizbee because "You can throw it, and when your done you can eat off it!!!". I got an intense look into the way the Amish community works. They are a tight knit community, and when one of them needs help, they jump to the rescue. A true sense of community that I have never seen since. Beautiful people, beautiful values, time I will always remember.

Jack Tarlin
02-20-2008, 19:21
I must disagree with Wolf, who commented that any hostel owner that gets stiffed isn't running a very good operation.

Nonsense.

Bob Peoples, for example, runs what is, in my opinion, the finest hiker facility on the Trail.

And he gets stiffed regularly.

Probably fifty per cent of the folks who stay there, thinking that it's a "donation only" place, don't leave him a dime.

Here's the news folks: "Donations Accepted" doesn't mean "Free." It means that they accept.......and that they NEED your donation to keep the place going.

But to say that people that let themselves get stiffed aren't running good operations is simply untrue.

Some people that get stiffed daily are running wonderful operations, but they simply don't care about the money.

And you can count these folks on one hand, even if you're missing a couple of fingers.

weary
02-20-2008, 20:56
I've resisted saying this. but the hints are bouncing around. So here are some further thoughts. From long experience 35-40 years of listening to and reading what people say, I tend to rely mostly on the written record. One important record at Rusty's was his register. I bounced through most of the pages -- maybe 100. All were laudatory. Then I found one in large type that said, "Thanks for the blowjob." I thought that either Rusty doesn't read his registry entries or he deliberately left that page in.

I didn't mention the entry to anyone until we were leaving. (after four days) The woman who had sort of drifted in with me because she was nervous about hiking alone, so we hiked together for a couple of months, said my questions about his sexual orientation were wrong. She insisted that Rusty was just an extra nice heterosexual guy. I didn't argue. I guessed she might know more about this than I. Nor did I particularly care.

I continue to feel that Rusty is a nice human being, who does a lot of nice things for a lot of hikers -- for reasons of his own.

Weary

Lone Wolf
02-20-2008, 21:08
I must disagree with Wolf, who commented that any hostel owner that gets stiffed isn't running a very good operation.

Nonsense.

Bob Peoples, for example, runs what is, in my opinion, the finest hiker facility on the Trail.

And he gets stiffed regularly.

Probably fifty per cent of the folks who stay there, thinking that it's a "donation only" place, don't leave him a dime.

Here's the news folks: "Donations Accepted" doesn't mean "Free." It means that they accept.......and that they NEED your donation to keep the place going.

But to say that people that let themselves get stiffed aren't running good operations is simply untrue.

Some people that get stiffed daily are running wonderful operations, but they simply don't care about the money.

And you can count these folks on one hand, even if you're missing a couple of fingers.
if he gets stiffed, it's his fault. collect from everyone as they arrive or soon after. very simple

Kirby
02-20-2008, 22:07
Your list is pretty complete, Smitty, except that any place that permits hikers to come and go 24 hours a day is not a secure place to leave one's gear. (Witness the recurrent theft problems at The Place in Damasacus,for example).

I would also be willing to pay more than $25.00 per night up North, depending on the level of services offered, or if a ride back to the Trail was included, etc.

Shaw's and the AT Lodge are worth every cent of the 25$ I paid for both of them.

Kirby

Phreak
02-20-2008, 22:45
Here's the news folks: "Donations Accepted" doesn't mean "Free."

Yes, it does. Donations Accepted = optional (not required)

I'd never stay some place and not give money to the proprietor, but if they don't charge a set fee, then they can't complain if they get stiffed.

It means that they accept.......and that they NEED your donation to keep the place going.
If they need the money to keep it running, then charge a friggin' fee to stay there. It's not rocket science.

minnesotasmith
02-20-2008, 22:53

Miss Janet's (when she's open) and Josh's & Lee's Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega both have him beat. (I've stayed at all 3.)

No place has the heart that MJ's does, and the HH is as nice as a B&B, but at hiker prices and run by hikers for hikers. Further, I'd give Shaw's, the Hiker Welcome place in Glencliff, the Twelve Tribes spot in Rutland, and the Blueberry Patch a tie with it.

Bob, a wonderful person, is invaluable for his section of trail, and charges next to nothing for staying at his place. But, town service access can be kind of rationed at Kincora, and there's no Internet for emailing, updating trail journals, etc.

RITBlake
02-20-2008, 22:58

I never understood this. Instead of beating around the bush and saying "Donations Accepted" and giving hikers the option of not paying (if you say it's optional then it's optional, fair or unfair)

Why not just say.... it costs 15 dollars for every night you stay here. A published rate board is a smart idea for any hostel. Avoids confusion and uncomfortable moments for both hiker and hostel owner.

RITBlake
02-20-2008, 22:59
why is my name green eh?

Lone Wolf
02-20-2008, 23:00
I never understood this. Instead of beating around the bush and saying "Donations Accepted" and giving hikers the option of not paying (if you say it's optional then it's optional, fair or unfair)

Why not just say.... it costs 15 dollars for every night you stay here. A published rate board is a smart idea for any hostel. Avoids confusion and uncomfortable moments for both hiker and hostel owner.

i agree. put up a big sign with the price. no brainer

Skidsteer
02-20-2008, 23:11
why is my name green eh?

It's the new color scheme for donating members.

We're all nauseous.

Marta
02-20-2008, 23:13
i agree. put up a big sign with the price. no brainer

I think it's a tax thing. Donations are treated differently than revenue from sales.

Appalachian Tater
02-20-2008, 23:23
I think it's a tax thing. Donations are treated differently than revenue from sales.Probably has to do with health regulations and business license. Running a business with lodging-for-hire means you have to meet certain standards in many jurisdictions.

Appalachian Tater
02-20-2008, 23:24
It's the new color scheme for donating members.

We're all nauseous.Earlier it was red. I thought it meant we were on terror alert RED and now we have the all-clear.

the goat
02-20-2008, 23:34
Probably has to do with health regulations and business license. Running a business with lodging-for-hire means you have to meet certain standards in many jurisdictions.

that's exactly right and precisely why some prefer to go "by donation", it keeps the govt out of their business.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2008, 23:38
that's exactly right and precisely why some prefer to go "by donation", it keeps the govt out of their business.

if you're running a business then go by the rules

the goat
02-20-2008, 23:44
if you're running a business then go by the rules

can you imagine a state health inspector at rusty's?:eek:

Survivor Dave
02-20-2008, 23:46
OK.....

I started this thread and pretty much have made up my mind on what I want to do in that area.

Now that these questions of business licences have surfaced, I pose another thought.

What would happen if G*d forbid someone was injured on his property? Does he have coverage for that?
I agree with Lone Wolf on the business aspect of it. In my opinion, either you are open for all, or not at all. Eccentricity as I've seen others use here isn't a defense in a court of law.

Footslogger
02-20-2008, 23:51
Eccentricity as I've seen others use here isn't a defense in a court of law.

========================

Did you know that "eccentric" means OUT OF ROUND !!

'Slogger

Survivor Dave
02-20-2008, 23:52
Thanks PROFESSOR 'Slogger.........:p

========================

Did you know that "eccentric" means OUT OF ROUND !!

'Slogger

Footslogger
02-20-2008, 23:54
Thanks PROFESSOR 'Slogger.........:p

===========================

Nah ...the wife (Empress BadAss Turtle) is the professor !!

I'm just a commoner ...

'Slogger

Appalachian Tater
02-21-2008, 02:13
What would happen if G*d forbid someone was injured on his property? Does he have coverage for that?
Probably not, and when you use an unlicensed shuttler without the proper insurance you're screwed if there's an accident as far as their insurance covering it.

Heater
02-21-2008, 02:28
I heard a lot about and read some expose's about this kind of behaviour and...
Thank you. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZMTPGc0Z6A)

Lyle
02-21-2008, 11:13
I know it's the way things are and if I were offering hostel services I would probably be considering the liability issues. I just think it's a shame that this is where our society is. Someone opens their home and services to others who should be friends, and they have to worry about being sued.

I really doubt that any of the popular hiker hostels are really making any money off of the endeavor. At least not in a traditional business sense. If that were their motive, then there are much more lucrative ways to fulfill that objective, ones that would not run for only a six to eight week period each year.

Everyone knows that most of these facilities are not licensed, or regulated. We check in looking for cheap housing and hiker-friendly atmosphere. Case in point is the Doyle. GREAT atmosphere, great price, but who has stayed there that hasn't recognized right off the bat that it would be a number one fire trap if the worst ever happened. It is a risk I took knowingly. I would do it again. But I hope I would never think of filing a lawsuit, and hope my family wouldn't. I got what I paid for and what was obvious upon entering the premises.

Ok, off my soapbox now. Just venting a bit on our "litigious" society.

hobojoe
02-21-2008, 12:06
Amen Lyle, always let your conscience be your guide.

Almost There
02-21-2008, 12:08
Amen Lyle, always let your conscience be your guide.

Alright Jiminy Cricket! Are you gonna tell us to have patience, or better yet, talk about wishing on a star?:D

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2008, 14:06
Smitty:

I think your expectations are too high.

Town services are not "rationed" at Kincora. Bob (or Pat) make two trips per day to Elizabethtown where hikers can visit a large supermarket, get a restaurant meal, get food to cook back at the hostel, etc.

Each of these town runs takes two hours, Smitty.

Meaning Bob spends at least four hours per day making them.

For free.

The guy spends at least 4 hours a day ferrying hikers arouind for free, yet you feel that town trips are "rationed."

What's the alternative, Smitty? You think he should just take off for town the minute any one hiker asks him to go? Or that he should go again the minute he gets back to the hostel because someone else needs to go?

Um, no. He goes to town twice a day, and the system works great. People that need more immediate access to town shouldn't stay at Kincora, which they know is sort of in the middle of nowhere. If you didn't want your town visits "rationed", Smitty, you should've stayed in Hampton, where there's a perfectly good hostel two minutes from a market and five minutes from restaurants.

And as for your complaint about no Internet access, well has it posssibly occurred to you that this is deliberate? You may have noticed there's no TV either. Bob thinks that TV's and computers in hostels are conversation killers, and that hikers would fight over them, and therefore, he doesn't want them in his place.

And he's right.

If you can't go two or three days without chec king your E-Mail or the Internet, Smitty, then that's YOUR problem, and not Bob's.

the goat
02-21-2008, 14:13
Smitty:

Town services are not "rationed" at Kincora. Bob (or Pat) make two trips per day to Elizabethtown where hikers can visit a large supermarket, get a restaurant meal, get food to cook back at the hostel, etc.

For free.

The guy spends at least 4 hours a day ferrying hikers arouind for free, yet you feel that town trips are "rationed."

What's the alternative, Smitty? You think he should just take off for town the minute any one hiker asks him to go? Or that he should go again the minute he gets back to the hostel because someone else needs to go?

Um, no. He goes to town twice a day, and the system works great. People that need more immediate access to town shouldn't stay at Kincora, which they know is sort of in the middle of nowhere. If you didn't want your town visits "rationed", Smitty, you should've stayed in Hampton, where there's a perfectly good hostel two minutes from a market and five minutes from restaurants.

And as for your complaint about no Internet access, well has it posssibly occurred to you that this is deliberate? You may have noticed there's no TV either. Bob thinks that TV's and computers in hostels are conversation killers, and that hikers would fight over them, and therefore, he doesn't want them in his place.

And he's right.

If you can't go two or three days without chec king your E-Mail or the Internet, Smitty, then that's YOUR problem, and not Bob's.

damn right!!

Appalachian Tater
02-21-2008, 14:18
Sometimes Bob & Pat both go because there are so many hikers. It is pretty darn hard to come up with any valid reason to criticize them or anything they do. They probably don't come anywhere near breaking even. What they do, even where they chose to live, is a gift to hikers--even the ones that chip in $20.

Almost There
02-21-2008, 14:23
Jack,

I think Bob is awesome, and I really liked Kincora for the couple hours I was there last year. Bob helped me out when I got my stress fracture last summer. I agree that he goes above and beyond for the trail and hikers. That being said, Smitty has a point in that it's a matter of opinion what makes a good hostel.

I can compare a cabin on a mountain top and an apartment in New York, and ask which has better views or is a better place to live. Once again, it is subjective in nature. My buddy, honestly, would tell you the apartment in NY. I and I know many on here would say the cabin on that mountain.

The other side of the coin would be, "Does location determine quality?" In other words, do the closeness of amenities make one hostel better than another? It sounds like this is important to Smitty.

Personally, I go with Jack on this one and say, Bob has plenty of things for hikers...and you can't beat the price...On top of this he sometimes leaves goodies in the fridge for hikers.

Smitty, I would say next time you hike the area....go on to Hampton and stay in town.

hobojoe
02-21-2008, 14:24
Did you know, when Bob goes up and down dennis cove road he goes a little faster each time? Not to get off topic though, the donation system if the founding principal of a few hostels on the trail, it is so sad when one has to abandon it.
Give what you can give, NEVER take what you can get.

Lone Wolf
02-21-2008, 14:32
Miss Janet's (when she's open) and Josh's & Lee's Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega both have him beat. (I've stayed at all 3.)

No place has the heart that MJ's does, and the HH is as nice as a B&B, but at hiker prices and run by hikers for hikers. Further, I'd give Shaw's, the Hiker Welcome place in Glencliff, the Twelve Tribes spot in Rutland, and the Blueberry Patch a tie with it.

Bob, a wonderful person, is invaluable for his section of trail, and charges next to nothing for staying at his place. But, town service access can be kind of rationed at Kincora, and there's no Internet for emailing, updating trail journals, etc.

i see nothing critical in this post. just his observation

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2008, 16:20
Nothing critical?

He's complaining that service to town isn't regular enough for him, and that there's no computer. Boo hoo.

Seems critical to me. :-?

Lone Wolf
02-21-2008, 16:22
nope. just his observations.

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2008, 16:24
Whatever, Wolf.

But his "observations" also contain complaints.

He found the place wanting.

And how anyone can find anything to complain about at Kincora frankly amazes me.

A-Train
02-21-2008, 16:25
Nothing critical?

He's complaining that service to town isn't regular enough for him, and that there's no computer. Boo hoo.

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. From his many posts, he doesn't appear to be the easiest guy to please. Hell, he wants the entire AT from VA to VT to be relocated somewhere else. Guess we'll have to start fording the Hudson soon, huh?:)

weary
02-21-2008, 17:52
I suppose we should hear from the otherside of this debate. I've talked to a number of hostel operators over the decades. Two things almost always came up in our conversations. Hikers are fun people to be around. And most hikers are always looking for something for nothing.

Weary

Survivor Dave
02-21-2008, 18:00
Good point Weary. Do you have Rusty's phone#? Maybe you want him to explain himself? That is what you mean isn't it?

I suppose we should hear from the otherside of this debate. I've talked to a number of hostel operators over the decades. Two things almost always came up in our conversations. Hikers are fun people to be around. And most hikers are always looking for something for nothing.

Weary

The Weasel
02-21-2008, 19:10
Nothing critical?

Jack, I am so glad you can now go to the Politics forums and rant. While it's entertaining seeing you engage in food fights in the other forums, you're really, really, reallllllly reaching this time.

Let me put it this way: How do you pronounce "tomato"? And does the phrase, "chacun a son gout" have any meaning for you? Hate to break it to you, but not everyone is required to like the things you like and do things the way you do them to. Sounds like you're the one that's whining, not him.

Go to the Politics forum. You'll feel much better.

TW

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2008, 19:24
Hey Weasel:

With all due respect, go jump off a pier.

Please go and re-read Smith's post. He says in no uncertain terms that town access is "rationed" at Kincora.

Um, no, it isn't. TRIPS to town aren't "rationed" at all. As I previously explained, Bob spends more than four hours a day, at his own expense, driving people all around East Tennessee. People that require more access, or constant access to a town probably shouldn't stay at Kincora. But Bob isn't going to do an extra town trip for one guy who needs an immediate ride, and this seems to be what Smith was unhappy about. But town access isn't "rationed." Instead, town trips are limited to several times a day, as Bob doesn't wish to spend any more time driving than he already does. But if a hiker expects Bob to drop everything he's doing and make an extra town run for one or two guys, adding 2 hours or more of driving to his already busy day, well I think that's an unreasonable request, even if you don't.

And Smitty was indeed unhappy that there's no computer access at Kincora.

In short, Weasel, he was indeed complaining about the place, and was indeed being critical of the establishment.

Which is what I said.

Roland
02-21-2008, 19:33
OK, you two. We were promised that keeping the politics forum would make Whiteblaze and kinder and gentler place. :rolleyes:

Almost There
02-21-2008, 19:40
For Smitty to suggest that Bob "rations" rides...does suggest that Bob picks and chooses which could be considered an insult, as anyone who knows Bob knows that to suggest such a thing is ridiculous. Just because Smitty wants him to run when it is convenient for him doesn't mean Bob is going to. From my observations of Smitty and his interaction with my wife at the 2007 Ruck he strikes me as a very "I want it my way" type of guy who very easily, intentional or not, insults people...to put it nicely.

Jack is doing what Jack does and defending a friend...if Smitty was capable of being a bit more diplomatic then I have no problem with his premise as it's a "different strokes for different folks" proposition. But again as I have said the term "ration" suggests that Bob picks and chooses when he goes to town, and anyone who has hiked by Dennis Cove knows that if Bob wasn't there, then you would have to go all the way to Hampton....some people it is next to impossible to satisfy.

GGS2
02-21-2008, 19:43
I wouldn't lose sleep over it. From his many posts, he doesn't appear to be the easiest guy to please. Hell, he wants the entire AT from VA to VT to be relocated somewhere else. Guess we'll have to start fording the Hudson soon, huh?:)

Near as I can tell, he wants to bypass it, along with half of New England. Maybe go across between Lake George and Glens Falls/Hudson Falls. I used to live just north of the border near there by Mississquoi Bay at a place called St. Armand, Quebec. I guess you could get over to Hanover from there somehow. You'd have to meander around in the Adirondacks a bit to avoid some of the big water there, but it might be a pretty trail, an alternative to the AT across NJ, southern NY, Connecticut and Massachusetts at least. I think there are a few candidate trails at the other end, from NY maybe across Ohio to PA. The upper Ohio is nice, if you avoid the industrial crud. I'm told they make some nice beer there. I wouldn't know about that.

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2008, 19:53
Almost There:

Thank you for your above post.

There are some folks who are indeed almost impossible to please.

The Weasel
02-21-2008, 19:53
OK, you two. We were promised that keeping the politics forum would make Whiteblaze and kinder and gentler place. :rolleyes:

Dang nab it, Rollie...we ARE being nice. All Jack did was tell me to "jump off a pier," and he even said that "with all due respect." As for me, I merely told him it was time to be a good li'l kid and mosey over to Politics now that he's been allowed into the clubhouse. It doesn't get much nicer than that, at least on this planet.

TW

dixicritter
02-21-2008, 19:59
Knock it off in here.

The Weasel
02-21-2008, 20:02
Yes'm.:D

But I still think Jack is so cute when he tells me to jump of a pier. There's a nice one in Huntington Beach, which I'll take him to when he brings my The Macallan out here.

TW

Skidsteer
02-21-2008, 20:04

Smitty:

For free.

And he's right.

Jack, I am so glad you can now go to the Politics forums and rant. While it's entertaining seeing you engage in food fights in the other forums, you're really, really, reallllllly reaching this time.

Let me put it this way: How do you pronounce "tomato"? And does the phrase, "chacun a son gout" have any meaning for you? Hate to break it to you, but not everyone is required to like the things you like and do things the way you do them to. Sounds like you're the one that's whining, not him.

Go to the Politics forum. You'll feel much better.

TW

Weasel, you're trying to throw gasoline on a simple difference of opinion.

Save it for Politics.

The Weasel
02-21-2008, 20:06
Umm, Jack, time to do the calming mantra. When those veins on your forehead start to throb that much, it's scary.

You'll like the Huntington Beach pier. Good place to watch the surfers. We can even jump together, if you want to.

TW

The Weasel
02-21-2008, 20:10
Weasel, you're trying to throw gasoline on a simple difference of opinion.

Save it for Politics.

Skid, I think people have gone a little wild on my post. Actually, I was trying to put a little calm out. What Smith seemed to be saying was, "I think things could be different at Kincora," and I didn't read the critical attack on Bob or the hostel that Jack did. And the quote is French, basically translated as, "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on matters of taste and style." Or, as the other one goes, "You say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to." Smith thought something should be different, and wasn't particularly harsh. Jack went a little bonkers because he likes Bob.

When we get to the stage that any particular service provider is free from people expressing their opinion, well, that's not a good thing. So no, I'm not pouring gas on a fire; I'm suggesting there isn't a fire in the first place.

TW

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2008, 20:11
Weasel, it sounds like you're asking for a date.

Give it a rest.

At this point, I gotta tell you your company isn't that appealing.

You wanna leap off the Huntington Peir on your lonesome, tho, have at it, bub.

The Weasel
02-21-2008, 20:13
Jack, I don't date. Happily married. But when you bring out those drinks you promised, I'll make sure you get to see as much of Orange County as you have time for.

TW

dixicritter
02-21-2008, 20:14
I said knock it off, or I start moderating. I am tired and don't feel like playing.

Skidsteer
02-21-2008, 20:15
Skid, I think people have gone a little wild on my post. Actually, I was trying to put a little calm out. What Smith seemed to be saying was, "I think things could be different at Kincora," and I didn't read the critical attack on Bob or the hostel that Jack did. And the quote is French, basically translated as, "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on matters of taste and style." Or, as the other one goes, "You say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to." Smith thought something should be different, and wasn't particularly harsh. Jack went a little bonkers because he likes Bob.

When we get to the stage that any particular service provider is free from people expressing their opinion, well, that's not a good thing. So no, I'm not pouring gas on a fire; I'm suggesting there isn't a fire in the first place.

TW

There was no fire until you inserted yourself into a discussion and started chastising while failing to comment on the topic.

Knock it off.

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2008, 20:19
Sorry, Dix, missed your post.

I'm done here.

dixicritter
02-21-2008, 20:22
thread closed per thread starters request