PDA

View Full Version : 28 Pounds!!!!!!

Mad Hatter 08
02-19-2008, 19:48
Okay I am not professing to even attempt to be ultra light but got my unmodified gear all packed up today and my total weight minus food and h2o is 28 pounds. I am actually pretty proud of myself I was just hoping that my total dry weight would be under thirty five since i was going more for comfort on some items than for UL. I still plan to do a little bit of modifications this weekend though. So I'll be signing off for now so I can finish packing cuz I'm leaving on a Jetplane..... at ten am tomorrow for home sweet home dallas.

BTW.. what's everyone elses weights look like.

rafe
02-19-2008, 20:04
Lacking food and water, that's kinda heavy. It would have been considered quite reasonable in days of yore. These days, it's heavy. Sorry to be so blunt about it.

You'll need roughly 1.5-2.0 lbs of food per day; say 4 days = 6 to 8 lbs food. In the heat of summer, you could be carrying 2-3 liters of water, that's roughly 4-6 lbs right there.

Bottom line, worst-case, you're looking at another 14 lbs for food and water, which brings your total to 42.

Blissful
02-19-2008, 20:12
Might want to post your gear list - some are pretty good here at knocking off weight which is usually in ounces, even losing two pounds will make a huge difference.

wrongway_08
02-19-2008, 20:45
38 ponds with food and water - depending on the stretch, not bad. Do you have a elctronic scale yet? Target sells a nice one that goes down to .05 oz., about $20.00..

Good work so far, glad to see your having fun with this.

Post up a list, would like to see what ya got.

When are you leaving?

-SEEKER-
02-19-2008, 21:49
Lacking food and water, that's kinda heavy. It would have been considered quite reasonable in days of yore. These days, it's heavy. Sorry to be so blunt about it.

You'll need roughly 1.5-2.0 lbs of food per day; say 4 days = 6 to 8 lbs food. In the heat of summer, you could be carrying 2-3 liters of water, that's roughly 4-6 lbs right there.

Bottom line, worst-case, you're looking at another 14 lbs for food and water, which brings your total to 42.

I just packed the food I will be taking with me for the first 6 days. It weighed just over 4lbs and I thought that was heavy. Guess that's not so bad after all!

Phreak
02-19-2008, 21:50
Great job on getting your pack weight down. :)

Footslogger
02-19-2008, 21:52
[quote=lizincali;542603]Okay I am not professing to even attempt to be ultra light but got my unmodified gear all packed up today and my total weight minus food and h2o is 28 pounds.
================================

That's great. It took me a long while to get to that level and once there, I was even able to get it down a few more lbs. Your body will thank you in ways you can not even imagine at this point.

Happy Trails ...

'Slogger

View
02-19-2008, 21:58

There's one in every crowd!!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Good for you! Pack weight is something that is always changing for the better.

Programbo
02-19-2008, 22:09

You don`t have to apologize for being blunt..We all know todays hikers aren`t as tough :p

If you are comfortable and in shape enough that that amount of weight doesn`t bother you then don`t worry about what everyone else is or isn`t carrying and take what you want to enjoy your life on the trail..The first point to dump extra weight isn`t that far up the trail so you don`t have to feel you`ll be stuck with anything for an extended period of time..And remember sometimes if the weight feels to heavy or doesn`t carry right it isn`t because you have to much stuff or to much weight, it may be because your pack isn`t fitting correctly or your pack just can`t transfer the load correctly..Keep experimenting and listen to what some of the more experienced people on here have to offer but at the same time remember that everyone is different and what some may find heavy others will think is a comfortable weight

rafe
02-19-2008, 22:14
There's one in every crowd!!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Good for you! Pack weight is something that is always changing for the better.

28 lbs base weight was never "light." Now if 28 lbs. was the grand total, including 4 days food and 2 liters of water, that would be a respectable number.

Not saying it can't be done... it's certainly been done, many times over. Most of us old pharts have been there and done that. It's a lot easier when you're young. :rolleyes:

rafe
02-19-2008, 22:18
I just packed the food I will be taking with me for the first 6 days. It weighed just over 4lbs and I thought that was heavy. Guess that's not so bad after all!

4 lbs. for 6 days? OK, that might, just might work for a bright-eyed, bushy-tailed thru-hiker wannabe heading north from Springer. But I guarantee you that will not work for more than a week or two.

Jason of the Woods
02-19-2008, 22:19
If you are comfy that's all that matters. I have mine down around 20 lbs loaded and my other half has hers up around where you are but she is ok with that. I think that we will all know a week or so into our hikes. That's what the post office is for.;)

ScottP
02-19-2008, 22:51
Posting a gearlist will be a really annoying hassle, but you might want to return a few items that are unsuitable to thru-hiking before you use them, and posting your gearlist up might help you identify these items..

AT-HITMAN2005
02-19-2008, 22:59

looking like both my wife and i packs will be hovering around 20lbs pre-food and water. which is right where i like it to be. shouldn't get more than 30 for long stretches like the smokies.(i refuse to go to gatlinburg, again!)

Mad Hatter 08
02-19-2008, 23:19
well, one of the things I am running heavy on is clothes, I have a total of 4 bottoms (including rain pants) and 4 tops (not including rain jacket and cold jacket.) I know I can probably shave some of it but I tend to run cold and living out here in sunny so cal it's kind of hard to properly test and see how warm I'll be, I think I would rather start out with too many clothes and send some home than not enough and get frostbite. Some of the other places that I am kind of heavy on is my pack is a Gregory, I have the hubba hubba. and my sleeping bag is a pound heavier than I was originally planning on. I will still be messing with some of my gear to shave some of the weight I was just proud of myself that with as much as I've been buying the last month I wasn't at 35 pounds instead.

Footslogger
02-19-2008, 23:26
[quote=lizincali;542926]well, one of the things I am running heavy on is clothes, I have a total of 4 bottoms (including rain pants) and 4 tops (not including rain jacket and cold jacket.)

=================================

Clothing weight adds up fast. I was working with another 2008 hiker not too long ago and his initial list looked a bit like yours.

In the end only YOU can decide how many changes of clothing you feel comfortable with. That said, what I told the other hiker and what I will tell you is ...if you take all that stuff it will end up NOT WORN and dirty in your pack. In terms of tops/bottoms and socks I would suggest you consider the "wear one and carry two" approach. You will find that wearing the same clothes to hike in every day is pretty common. Change when you get into camp and under worst case scenario (extremely wet/nasty conditions) you still have a clean set of top/bottom and socks.

Just a thought ...

'Slogger

rafe
02-19-2008, 23:32
What 'Slogger said. Expect (and plan) to hike in dirty clothes. Just be sure you have one set, kept dry and relatively clean, for camp.

Montego
02-19-2008, 23:40
Congratulations on keeping the weight down and still being able to pack the way YOU want. Hope your visit home is awsome and that your hike is everything you hoped it would be. Maybe I'll see 'ya on the trail somewhere. :sun

Mad Hatter 08
02-20-2008, 00:14
I don't think it's so much a dirt or smell thing as i want to make sure I won't freeze and without being able to realy test out in really cold temps I am chosing to be overly cautious until I am sure.

take-a-knee
02-20-2008, 00:27
I don't think it's so much a dirt or smell thing as i want to make sure I won't freeze and without being able to realy test out in really cold temps I am chosing to be overly cautious until I am sure.

Try to find some army surplus field pant liners (8 oz) and buy a nice hooded synthetic jacket like a Patagonia or a Montbell and those will handle your warmth issues without weighing you down.

bigcranky
02-20-2008, 08:45
Liz,

You'll have 3-4 days (maybe 5) of hiking before you get to Neel Gap. At that point, you'll be in a position to decide what works and what doesn't, which layers you want to keep (maybe all of them), and what gear you are actually using. If you decide that you want to shed some gear, you can mail it home from the outfitter store there. (They are very good at helping hikers cut their loads.)

I'm not all that concerned about your 28 pound base weight. There are still plenty of hikers who show up at Springer with 45-50 pounds of gear and clothing. As long as you realize that (1) it's going to be MUCH harder than you think to haul a pack up and down the mountains, and (2) you only have to walk 30 miles before you can make some changes, you should be fine.

I am more concerned about your food. 4 pounds for 6 days is a pretty light ration. What exactly are you taking? Be specific. It's true that at the beginning of a long hike, your body sometimes rebels and doesn't want that much food -- so you may be okay with this. But your body will need plenty of calories to make it up the trail. More than you think. Sometimes more than you can carry. Again, you can fix this 30 miles up the trail.

Don't be discouraged by the responses here on Whiteblaze. We all want you to make it. But we've also seen how many hikers get to the first road crossing and quit -- their packs are too heavy, the weather is too cold/rainy/hot/dry, their blisters are too big, etc. The question is whether you will adapt to the conditions of the Trail, or let it punish you to the point where you quit. The responses are from hikers who have adapted, mostly, and are trying to pass their experience on to you. Of course, that's not how experience works, but at least you'll have some ideas when you do begin to adapt.

The best stuff you can carry on this hike isn't in your pack -- it's in your head. Be flexible and adaptable; always look forward, not back; focus on today's hike, not Katahdin; be willing to laugh at yourself and the grand absurdity of the entire thru-hike concept.

Happy trails.

gold bond
02-20-2008, 10:19
Wow Big Cranky....awsome advise! I'm not thruing this year but IMHO you have hit it right on the head. I will certainaly take your advice. Well said my friend.

rafe
02-20-2008, 10:21
I'll second the kudos for BigCranky's post.

-SEEKER-
02-20-2008, 11:03
4 lbs. for 6 days? OK, that might, just might work for a bright-eyed, bushy-tailed thru-hiker wannabe heading north from Springer. But I guarantee you that will not work for more than a week or two.
I'm sorry you felt the need to label me. I'm not trying to be a light weight hiker. I based my food preparations on what I am able to eat currently and what I ate for the time I was on the trail last year. I can only eat small amounts of food since my stomach does not empty properly. The medications that I used to take for this were removed from the market many years ago because of several deaths. I am open to the fact that things may change as I progress up the trail and am prepared to make adjustments.

rafe
02-20-2008, 11:16
Hello, Cyndie. I had no way to know of your "special" dietary issues. The figure of 1.5-2 lbs of food per day is well-known and is hardly original. As is the requirement for around 5000 calories per day for a "typical" thru hiker. Obviously, you are not typical.

As for the bright-eyed bushy-tailed part, that was merely a reference to the fact that many hikers do experience reduced appetite at the start of a long hike. But that's a temporary effect. After a week or two or three, the situation reverses, and most hikers find themselves continually hungry.

mrburns
02-20-2008, 11:26
I think you're OK at 28 lbs... My base is only a few pounds below that, and it was a challenge to get there since as a weekend backpacker I used to enjoy the extra weight and bring all the luxuries, plus I pack extra stuff for my dog...

If you want some motivation to try for lighter weight however... try this...

Your profile says you live in southern california right? My recommendation is to drive to Idyllwild with your 28 lb pack plus 4 days of food and 3L water... hike up Devil's slide trail to one of the Round campgrounds up there (or a similar trail that climbs), camp out and enjoy it...

Then, a day or so later when you have time, do the same hike but don't plan to camp... use the same pack with only 20 lb of gear, some snacks and 2 L water.

You'll probably be surprised how much faster you move and become aware of how much you had been distracted by the physical effort on the previous hike experience.

If you like it lighter enough, you'll be motivated to pack lighter for the AT... if not, then you'll be happy on the AT regardless.

Tinker
02-20-2008, 11:36
I refer back to Big Cranky's post.
Excellent.
I met quite a few hikers at Springer who were travelling too heavy. Other hikers were advising them on what they needed and did not need. Some advice was heeded, some not.
I started with too much myself, but that's because I had a hearty 6 days' worth of food and had over-prepared for cold weather (never got much below freezing in Ga).
On the other hand, I was only planning on doing Georgia, then going home.
You can shed whatever you don't need. You might even be able to share some stuff with other hikers who are less prepared.
Don't worry, just start slowly - don't push it. Enjoy

-SEEKER-
02-20-2008, 11:37
[quote=bigcranky;543101]

4 pounds for 6 days is a pretty light ration. What exactly are you taking? Be specific. It's true that at the beginning of a long hike, your body sometimes rebels and doesn't want that much food -- so you may be okay with this. But your body will need plenty of calories to make it up the trail. More than you think. Sometimes more than you can carry.

Bigcranky,
I am the one starting out with 4lbs of food. Here is what I have: Breakfast: 6 pks of hot chocolate (emptied into 1 zip lock bag) & 6 pks of instant oatmeal. Lunch: Hummus (just add water), soy jerky, cheese nips. Snacks: Mountain House Freeze Dried Strawberries, 6 pks (2per pack) Granola Bars. Dinner: 2 pkgs Ramen Noodles (smashed and put into 1 zip lock bag) Mountain House Freeze Dried Spaghetti with Meat Sauce (serves 2) possibly more for me. Two servings (for me) of canned Chicken that I dehydrated. 1 pkg Freeze Dried Peas and Carrots & 1 pkg Freeze Dried Apple Sauce ( again both state: serves two) As I stated in a previous post I am prepared if my needs change further up the trail.

Footslogger
02-20-2008, 11:39
[
I am the one starting out with 4lbs of food. Here is what I have: Breakfast: 6 pks of hot chocolate (emptied into 1 zip lock bag) & 6 pks of instant oatmeal. Lunch: Hummus (just add water), soy jerky, cheese nips. Snacks: Mountain House Freeze Dried Strawberries, 6 pks (2per pack) Granola Bars. Dinner: 2 pkgs Ramen Noodles (smashed and put into 1 zip lock bag) Mountain House Freeze Dried Spaghetti with Meat Sauce (serves 2) possibly more for me. Two servings (for me) of canned Chicken that I dehydrated. 1 pkg Freeze Dried Peas and Carrots & 1 pkg Freeze Dried Apple Sauce ( again both state: serves two) As I stated in a previous post I am prepared if my needs change further up the trail.

=====================================

Just an observation ...you need more snacks !! Your trail appetite for big meals will take time to build but you need to keep fueling that engine as you burn calories during the day. Otherwise you'll really tire quickly and struggle to make the miles.

Just a thought ...

'Slogger

Wolf - 23000
02-20-2008, 11:40
Okay I am not professing to even attempt to be ultra light but got my unmodified gear all packed up today and my total weight minus food and h2o is 28 pounds. I am actually pretty proud of myself I was just hoping that my total dry weight would be under thirty five since i was going more for comfort on some items than for UL. I still plan to do a little bit of modifications this weekend though. So I'll be signing off for now so I can finish packing cuz I'm leaving on a Jetplane..... at ten am tomorrow for home sweet home dallas.

Lizincali,

First let me say I think you are going about things the right way. I know a lot of hikers preach “get the lightest gear possible” rather than shooting for something that is comfortable. The truth is you should do what you been doing and using what every makes you feel comfortable. You can get a ultra-light sleeping bag for example that is very light weight but it doesn’t do you much good if you are freezing inside it. And please ignore terrapin point out your gear is “kinda heavy.” I could said, terrapin’s gear is heavy and act like the weight police of whiteblaze.

One suggest that I would like to point out is I notice you living in southern California which is a different hiking realm compare to the east cost. It is not any harder, just different. When I hiked the PCT, my gear was different compare to when I did the AT. :-? My pack weight was about the same on either trail. Hiking through southern CA, I pack plan on hiking in sand, little water or shade, hotter temperatures where compare to the AT you have more shade, cooler temperatures, more rain (normally). Things like that can make a different in how you want to pack.

Hopes this helps.

Wolf

quasarr
02-20-2008, 14:25
Hello Lizincali,

When you get a chance you should post your gear list! You can get lots of helpful advice. I do think it's a good idea for you to lighten your pack, even if it's just a few pounds. I'm a former heavyweighter myself, and I never was able to enjoy hiking under that crushing load!

There are many ways for you to lighten up without sacrificing comfort one bit. For example, you said you're using a Gregory pack. Probably weighs 5 lbs or so? There are many comfortable packs that weigh about 3 lbs. With a few changes like this you can get your base weight in the 20 lbs range.

Of course hike your own hike, and if you really enjoy your 28 lbs of gear then go for it!! There are definitely hikers who are happy with heavy. But you may find that you are happier once you "see the light." :sun

troglobil
02-20-2008, 15:30
Go for it, even a 40 pound pack isn't THAT heavy. Enjoy

rafe
02-20-2008, 18:29
And please ignore terrapin point out your gear is “kinda heavy.” I could said, terrapin’s gear is heavy and act like the weight police of whiteblaze.

I call it as I see it, Wolf. There's no "policing." Just an opinion. Take or leave it -- but that's for Liz to decide, not you.

I'm not about to join in the chorus of "Hey, swell, 28 pounds base weight, You Go, Girl!" 28 pounds base weight is heavy, and there's no getting around that. If Liz wants to schlep that, that's her call. I'm not obliged to join the praise party. My conscience obliges me to speak the truth, as I understand it.

take-a-knee
02-20-2008, 18:46
I call it as I see it, Wolf. There's no "policing." Just an opinion. Take or leave it -- but that's for Liz to decide, not you.

I'm not about to join in the chorus of "Hey, swell, 28 pounds base weight, You Go, Girl!" 28 pounds base weight is heavy, and there's no getting around that. If Liz wants to schlep that, that's her call. I'm not obliged to join the praise party. My conscience obliges me to speak the truth, as I understand it.

Well, right now I'm a weak old man (not enough gym), I'm 5'8"/170 and I can only bench my bodyweight 5-6 times. A set of 20 full squats (to parallel) with 135# tuckers me out. My resting pulse is in the high 50's.

Having said that, there is no way in hell I'd start a thru with a base of 28#, that is just poor planning. Maybe you are a tough-as-nails hardbody and I'm FOS, I don't know.

You may have to spend some cash to lower your pack weight, it'll be worth it IMO.

Programbo
02-20-2008, 18:51
I also have nothing to add to Cranky's advice (Except to say, 5 days to Neel's Gap??? :eek:)...Even if it seems slow and tough going at first just hang in there and as he said remember you don`t have that far to go to change some things around...Better to have things you don`t need at first than to not have things you do need

Programbo
02-20-2008, 18:59
[quote=take-a-knee;543833]Well, right now I'm a weak old man (not enough gym), I'm 5'8"/170 and I can only bench my bodyweight 5-6 times. A set of 20 full squats (to parallel) with 135# tuckers me out. My resting pulse is in the high 50's. ...Having said that, there is no way in hell I'd start a thru with a base of 28#, that is just poor planning. Maybe you are a tough-as-nails hardbody and I'm FOS, I don't know.[quote]

I don`t know..Sounds like you are in pretty good shape to me...Unless you have a problem getting winded you should have no problems hauling a respectable load.

maxNcathy
02-20-2008, 19:14
You can be proud of yourself for getting down to 28.
Met a guy last spring who had over 70 pounds when he started.
Have a great time, LIzincali.
Sandalwood

take-a-knee
02-20-2008, 19:44
[quote=take-a-knee;543833]Well, right now I'm a weak old man (not enough gym), I'm 5'8"/170 and I can only bench my bodyweight 5-6 times. A set of 20 full squats (to parallel) with 135# tuckers me out. My resting pulse is in the high 50's. ...Having said that, there is no way in hell I'd start a thru with a base of 28#, that is just poor planning. Maybe you are a tough-as-nails hardbody and I'm FOS, I don't know.[quote]

I don`t know..Sounds like you are in pretty good shape to me...Unless you have a problem getting winded you should have no problems hauling a respectable load.

I carried 80-100# packs in the army, it sucked really hard. I carried 40-45# packs around Denali many years ago, it didn't really suck but it was work. My Granite Gear Vapor Trail with 25-30# total is truly a joy to carry, the only difference between carrying that light load and nothing is it shortens my stride (and therefore slows me down). I'm all for hedging my bets, a small first-aid/pill kit, compass, clothing appropriate for the season plus a tad extra, gravity water filter etc, etc. You can make this happen at fifteen pounds, IMO, it is really easy to do at 20#.

Another thing, with 40#, I NEED boots (jump injuries), with 30#, New Balance trail runners work fine, when you lighten your footgear, you lighten your step considerably.

mudhead
02-20-2008, 19:52
=====================================

Just an observation ...you need more snacks !! Your trail appetite for big meals will take time to build but you need to keep fueling that engine as you burn calories during the day. Otherwise you'll really tire quickly and struggle to make the miles.

Just a thought ...

'Slogger

Good thought, too. Must be a nibbler!

bigcranky
02-20-2008, 19:58
I also have nothing to add to Cranky's advice (Except to say, 5 days to Neel's Gap??? :eek:)...

Start at the bottom of the Approach Trail. Day 1, hike most of the way up Springer, maybe even all the way. Day 2, hike 8 miles to Hawk Mtn. Day 3, hike 8 miles to Gooch Mtn. Day 4, hike 10 miles to Woods Hole. Day 5 hike the remaining 4 or so to Neel Gap.

For a newbie hiker, that's actually not a bad plan.

Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone.

Cyndie, I am sorry I got you confused with the original poster. When all is said and done, only you know how much food you need. All I can say is that you need to feed the machine.

Kirby
02-20-2008, 21:02
I am predicting my pack to weigh between 35-45 pounds.

Kirby

Wolf - 23000
02-20-2008, 21:18

Terrapin before you tell someone their base weight is “kinda heavy.” - at 28 pounds don’t you think you should lighten up your own pack?:-? I mean come on, you pack is kinda heavy too. It just an opinion but you have to admit, a backpacker with 17 YEARS of experience who can’t backpack lightweight themselves should not talk anything about others not going lightweight.:eek:

Wolf

Wolf

rafe
02-20-2008, 21:21
Umm, Wolf, I never mentioned the weight of my own pack... not in this thread, anyway. Nor have I ever claimed "ultralight" status or anything like that. And my backpacking experience goes back a lot farther than 17 years, thank you very much.

stranger
02-20-2008, 21:32
28 lbs before food and water is a bit heavy in my view, just because you are likely to have alteast another 8-10lbs after you add in food and water, which means you are likely to be up around the high 30's mark all up, but this depends on how fast you move down the trail obviously. For example, there is no reason to take 4 days to reach Neels Gap when it's only 30 miles up the trail unless you chosse to take your time, but this obviously depends on fitness levels.

Saying that, I for one don't believe pack weight has a major impact on your trip provided you are in the sub 35lb club, I agree that a 40lb pack is something that should be avoided if possible, mainly due to the impact that weight has on your knees, but you will know better than anyone if that is a problem. I always worry about my knees, they've bothered me on every long distance hike I've ever done, but never to the level where I couldn't continue, but it's painful at times.

Wolf - 23000
02-20-2008, 22:24
Umm, Wolf, I never mentioned the weight of my own pack... not in this thread, anyway. Nor have I ever claimed "ultralight" status or anything like that. And my backpacking experience goes back a lot farther than 17 years, thank you very much.

You are right you have not mention it in this thread but you have mention it here at WB in another thread.

I never said you made any claims to be "ultralight" or anything like it only that your backpack is kinda heavy. Your backpack being kinda heavy, well lets be honest, I wouldn't want to carry it.

And as for you backpack more than 17 years, ok. I believe you but you still backpack kinda heavy. :D

Wolf

slowandlow
02-20-2008, 22:32
I encourage everyone to do what works best for them, but it was my personal experience that going from 35 to 22 lbs total pack weight increased my enjoyment of long distance hiking significantly. It became much less like work, and the increased agility and better balance made me less likely to sustain an injury.

rafe
02-20-2008, 22:40
I never said you made any claims to be "ultralight" or anything like it only that your backpack is kinda heavy. Your backpack being kinda heavy, well lets be honest, I wouldn't want to carry it.

Get a grip, man. By this same reasoning, you'd be much less happy carrying lizincali's pack. Why bring up other threads? In other threads, you are well known as an extreme ultralighter. So what gives? Why not be straight with liz, instead of getting on my case? :-?

rafe
02-20-2008, 22:47
I encourage everyone to do what works best for them, but it was my personal experience that going from 35 to 22 lbs total pack weight increased my enjoyment of long distance hiking significantly. It became much less like work, and the increased agility and better balance made me less likely to sustain an injury.

Similar experiences here. Better mileage, more fun at age 55 than age 37, largely due to 30% less weight on my back.

Wolf - 23000
02-20-2008, 23:51
Get a grip, man. By this same reasoning, you'd be much less happy carrying lizincali's pack. Why bring up other threads? In other threads, you are well known as an extreme ultralighter. So what gives? Why not be straight with liz, instead of getting on my case? :-?

Terrapin,

My point is this, from your point of view lizincali’s pack is “kinda heavy” just like from my prospective your pack is “kinda heavy”. Just like you don’t like me telling you that your pack is heavy do you think others like hearing it form you? I could go around telling most people their pack is “kinda heavy” but I don’t because it is their choice how much weight they want to carry. If they want to carry less, they will. It is just as easy to put something in as it is to take it out.

Lizincali’s seems happy with her base weight. Sure she could travel with less just like ever person here on WB, but you should only backpack with less if your comfortable doing so. Some hikers are comfortable carrying 28 pounds base others are not but if you jump into lightweight or ultra-light backpacking to quickly most people are not going to enjoy it.

Wolf

rafe
02-21-2008, 00:10
Let it go, Wolf. This isn't about you or me. I told Liz her pack was "kinda heavy." In the very next sentence, I apologized for being blunt.

She's a big girl. She can take my opinion, and yours, and all the others on this thread, and decide for herself. Sayonara, big fella.

whitelightning
02-21-2008, 00:17
I am predicting my pack to weigh between 35-45 pounds.

Kirby

Really? I suppose you're young enough to handle it just fine. But it does seem heavier than it needs to be. I can remember when I carried a 55-60 lbs. pack and thought nothing of it. I was about your age then. I was still hiking faster than my companions and comfortable at camp. Of course, I was in much better physical shape than I am now. I don't plan on carrying much over 35 lbs at any time. My pack weight is only a few pounds lighter that what Liz is carrying. But I'm comfortable with that. I may be able to shed another pound or two myself.

WL

Mad Hatter 08
02-21-2008, 01:58
Terrapin and Wolf, Please stop arguing. While I am proud of my weight I do know it could have been less but most of my gear was personal choice of what I thought would be better for me. I appreciate your critizism Terrapin you have many years of experience where I have little. Part of my dilema also in chosing gear was finances, I have been working and going to college full time and rent in California is not cheap. I chose also according to price. Wolf thank you for standing up for me but Terrapins words did not wound me I know alot of people were going to tell me that is still "kinda heavy" That is one of the reasons I told everyone in the beginning that I wasn't professing to attempt to be UL. I am happy with my current weight and can't wait to see what all I can send home at Neel's Gap. But my big three are heavy than most so atleast until I feel comfortable with fly and foot print ala tarp tent style (kinda) and send my tent body home I'll stick with heavy. Again thank you both for your critiques and support, but please just feel the love I am sending both of your ways in hopes to resolve the argument between you.

chicote
02-21-2008, 08:08
just feel the love

You'll soon feel the love when you are out on the trail. It's much different there than here. There you will see all sorts of people with all sorts of base weights. The best part is that you get to walk somewhere different every day.

quasarr
02-21-2008, 13:33
lizincali, you may be surprised to find that lightweight gear is often less expensive than its heavy brethren. There's a misconception that to lighten up you have to spend big bucks. But an alcohol stove can be made for free at home and weighs less than an ounce, vs a white gas stove that costs at least $100 and may weigh a pound!

Why wait until Neel's Gap, when you could lighten up now. You'll save the money for postage to send everything home! ;)

jesse
02-21-2008, 14:15
Why wait until Neel's Gap, when you could lighten up now. You'll save the money for postage to send everything home!

I second that. Go on a shake down hike. There aren't many mountains in Dallas, but you could put 35lbs in your pack and start walking stairs in a stadium. You'll know if its too heavy before you set foot on the trail.

Programbo
02-22-2008, 18:57
There aren't many mountains in Dallas, but you could put 35lbs in your pack and start walking stairs in a stadium. You'll know if its too heavy before you set foot on the trail.

I think the original poster is from S Cal so maybe this post is directed at someone else..In either case...Climbing stairs, while it is good exercise and does help build leg muscles, isn`t a good exercise for backpacking in mountians as you are stepping on a horizontal plane..Walking a trail up a mountain your body is pretty much upright or tilted forward but your foot isn`t aimed flat as it is on level ground or on steps..It is tilted upwards which stretches your calf muscles at the same time they are under stress and if you aren`t use to or prepared for that it will be quite a shock

mudhead
02-22-2008, 19:30
She went to Big D. Home of the loser Cowboys.

Ha!

Kirby
02-22-2008, 19:55
I just weighed my pack, and it comes in at 39 pounds. I predict that once I add a couple more items I will be between 40-43, which I am perfectly fine with.

Kirby

Phil1959
02-22-2008, 20:09
After doing my thru hike,my advice is this......Carry 20 llbs minus food and water.It was obvious the people doing that looked happier than the ones who carried 28 plus food and water.I did not fuss over a couple llbs,but 8 extra would have sucked!!!!