PDA

View Full Version : Majority of experience before AT or gained during...

TRIP08
02-19-2008, 19:48
Hello to Everybody.

As I've said in a few of my previous posts, I'm making every plan to do the thru-hike. However, since I have had minimal experience hiking -- a few day and a few weekend -- do you think it would be wise to go ahead and try to make the full thru-hike? Will it be enough to just try and figure it out when I get there? Will it be enough to just read accounts and information before I go?

I know that reading all I can before I go will be beneficial and that some experience will be a plus, but do I really need to be a hiker-since-the-moment-I-first-breathed to make this trail?

Thanks in advance!

wakapak
02-19-2008, 19:57
Hello to Everybody.

As I've said in a few of my previous posts, I'm making every plan to do the thru-hike. However, since I have had minimal experience hiking -- a few day and a few weekend -- do you think it would be wise to go ahead and try to make the full thru-hike? Will it be enough to just try and figure it out when I get there? Will it be enough to just read accounts and information before I go?

I know that reading all I can before I go will be beneficial and that some experience will be a plus, but do I really need to be a hiker-since-the-moment-I-first-breathed to make this trail?

Thanks in advance!

no, you dont need to be a hiker since you first breathed....if you're reading up on stuff and planning already, you'll be fine! There's no amount of preparation to give you the same experiences you'll learn while you are out there!! and trust me, it sounds like you have already done more planning and stuff than i ever did!!

Just go do it!! :)

Blissful
02-19-2008, 20:17
It's always good to get out and do some weekends backpacking esp to check out your gear, clothes, footwear, etc to see what works and what doesn't. Including doing hikes in all three seasons. But nothing will get you ready for a thru except actually doing it. No two ways about it. (and I had never spent more than three nights on a trail in one trip before my hike last year)

Red Hat
02-20-2008, 18:00
Most of my experience was as a Girl Scout too many years ago to count.... the trail taught me that I could do it!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-20-2008, 18:02
Sallie, I know off several people who had no prior experience and completed thru-hikes. While some knowledge and experience is helpful, it isn't required.

rafe
02-20-2008, 18:11

Of course not... on the other hand, without having done some sort of backpacking and camping, how do you know this is something you'll enjoy?

If you can sling a 30 lb. pack and walk over hilly terrain, say, 10-15 miles, then make camp, and repeat that for three or four days straight -- and enjoy it -- then you're good to go. If you haven't done that, I would have to question why you'd want to thru-hike. :-?

Appalachian Tater
02-20-2008, 19:48
A thru-hike, to a large degree, is just a series of section hikes. If you have done an overnight hike, you have more hiking experience than I had before starting my thru.

vonfrick
02-20-2008, 19:56
i definitely agree with the advice that you should at least spend a few days "out", in less-than-ideal conditions weatherwise, with whatever gear you intend on using. find out what works for you, what doesn't and what you can leave home!

ScottP
02-20-2008, 21:44
If you get the chance get some overnight or even day hikes in if you can, as others advised. If you can' fit in some hiking before your thru, you'll still probably be fine.

If you haven't hiked before, realized that there's a steep learning curve, and the result of failure or a mistake (including being out of shape!) is usually some degree of misery. If you find yourself not enjoying your hike, you might want to give it a couple of weeks until you know what you're doing. Hiking is no fun if you're cold, wet, hungry, and tired.

Wonder
02-21-2008, 00:58
I started with nothing but one overnight shake down hike. I learned alot, traded out some gear......and had the greatest time of my life!

Marge
02-21-2008, 17:21
Sallie, I am in the same boat as you. In the end, I might be slower than the rest and have a heavier pack, but I'll pick it up and make adjustments as I go. Good luck!!

vonfrick
02-21-2008, 18:22
If you get the chance get some overnight or even day hikes in if you can, as others advised. If you can' fit in some hiking before your thru, you'll still probably be fine.

If you haven't hiked before, realized that there's a steep learning curve, and the result of failure or a mistake (including being out of shape!) is usually some degree of misery. If you find yourself not enjoying your hike, you might want to give it a couple of weeks until you know what you're doing. Hiking is no fun if you're cold, wet, hungry, and tired.

never figured ScottP was a woman :-?

Blissful
02-21-2008, 20:05
Sallie, I am in the same boat as you. In the end, I might be slower than the rest and have a heavier pack, but I'll pick it up and make adjustments as I go. Good luck!!

That's the way to do it. Neels Gap and Walasi Yi center makes that a good destination to make adjustments as well. Winton is very good as well with helping you cut weight (he cut four lbs from mine with essentials and I had a huge clunker pack of close to 7 lbs for half the hike. 4 lbs made a lot of difference on my shoulder pain). Have fun. Thinking of you all.

Pennsylvania Rose
02-22-2008, 13:15
Here's what I did when I was exactly your age: found out about the AT in October and was interested for reasons that I still don't fully understand; graduated from high school in Dec; worked two jobs for a couple of months while collecting gear; bought a bus ticket for April 1.

I had never backpacked or even went for an all day hike (I caved, canoed, and rafted occasionally), didn't know anyone who did, and the internet didn't exist, so I read all the outdoor books in the library, went to a local boy scout shop, and contacted the ATC. After talking to them, I knew I wouldn't be able to buy all my gear and have enough left to thru (but I still wanted to start with the pack so I could meet other hikers), so I settled on section hiking until my money ran out. I knew my family wouldn't approve, so I didn't mention anything to them until one day in February when my mom noticed my boots. Boy, the s*** hit the fan, but on April 2nd I stood on top of Springer.

Here's what happened:
- I got cold
- I got wet
- I got hungry
- I didn't die or get attacked by humans or bears
- I hiked Springer - Erwin on my very first backpacking trip!!!
- I had a blast
- I met a lot of great people
- I became a backpacking fanatic
- I figured it out as I went along

Here's what I would/should have done differently:
- gotten my family's support (every phone call home was awash in guilt and worry from my mom, but couldn't be avoided because she was in control of my bank account - thank goodness for ATM and debit cards now)
- worked three jobs so I'd have more money (after a couple of weeks on the trail, I really really wanted to walk all the way to Maine, but just didn't have enough money)
- tested my gear, even if it was just on a long dayhike - I think I would have quickly replaced my jeans, cotton flannel shirt, and cheap poncho...let's not even discuss the fifty gallon drum (trail name given to my sleeping bag when stuffed in its sack), the propane stove and huge pot (replaced with a whisperlite and cook set at Mtn. Crossings), and my food (one cannot live on instant rice and oatmeal alone).
- hiked my own hike - there were times when I got so caught up in what my new friends were doing that I didn't do what would have been best for me

You've got a huge head start with the time you have until your hike. Use the resources for info, test out your gear some (even if it's just in your yard or a park), and make sure you have enough money to get you all the way.

You'll be fine - even if you started today, you're better informed than I was - so don't worry.

Pennsylvania Rose
02-22-2008, 13:15
God that was a long post - sorry, was reliving my misspent youth.

tazie
02-22-2008, 13:31
God that was a long post - sorry, was reliving my misspent youth.

are you kidding, I love reading that stuff! And PR, at 36, to me you still are a youth..;) Thanks for sharing the memories. And good luck and good hike, Sallie!

DawnTreader
02-22-2008, 14:11
If your here on Whiteblaze, your already ahead of the game. AT backpacking is kinda a "sink or swim" scenario.. Just get out and do it.. Or you decide you want to go home. It's not rocket science, its just walking. Its 85% mental 5% luck and 10% physical.. I mean you can't be like deathly obese and say your gonna hike the trail, but I'd say I've met people on every level of the "experience" scale, every level of the "physical" scale, and a bunch of mental cases too. Some reach their goals, some don't...

TRIP08
02-25-2008, 12:31
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the info and advice! I really appreciate it.