PDA

View Full Version : Reason for not deleting one users post

attroll
01-10-2004, 06:21
There were some messages posted last night and early this morning. They are pretty ignorant and distasteful. I would normally have deleted post by this member and my moderators would have deleted them also. But we have decided to leave them up for one full day. The reason being is so you all know what we have to put up with from this user constantly. So next time you here this user complaining about me or anyone else deleting post by him then you will know why we deleted them.

After one full day they will be deleted. Just want you all to see a little of what we have to put up with from day to day.
Enough said.

Skeemer
01-10-2004, 09:20
This guy has some seriious problems. Apparently substance abuse is his excuse. It's too bad cause there is a lot of worthwhile discussion here and let's hope he takes this crap elsewhere.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2004, 09:24
Delete the drivel and ban the drunken fool too. Very simple.

Repeat
01-10-2004, 09:24
Good morning Troll,
You and the other moderators have my sympathy and appreciation for your efforts on this site. I do not post much. When I do it is when I have a relavent EXPERIENCE. I have learned much from others EXPERIENCE and I do enjoy sharing my pictures. Thank you for your hard work.
Repeat

chomp
01-10-2004, 09:30
Don't worry about it, Troll. There are enough of the users on this board that know what the situtation is to back you up on this issue. All you have to do is look at the thread about redesigning the webpage to see the support that you got. As for this "I created the site" crap, well that is just crap. Anyone can make a baby, but it takes a quality person to make a good parent. Keep up the good work, Troll.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2004, 09:36
He'll be apologizing soon and saying how he needs help for his "disease". For the 20th time. F***in loser.

firefly
01-10-2004, 10:04
Hey thanks for the explaination..I really like this site alot...thanks for all your hard work. I would also like to add that there are some other backpacking sites that are full of posts like that and that if this person wants an audience for what he has to say he ought check them out. This site is just not the place for comments of this type because most of us are interested in other topics. If you really want people to hear what you have to say go post on those sites..you would get quite a few responses.

Jody7818
01-10-2004, 10:30
The guy must have really been bored last night to post that many messages. It seems like all discussion forums have at least one person who acts with this sort of behavior. I don't know if it's possible with this particular forum, but you may want to look into banning his IP Address. I've seen other discussion forums do this.

Jody

Brushy Sage
01-10-2004, 10:35
In a way this parallels the AT experience. We meet some of these "strange" people along the way. After a while they either drop away on their own, or they are apprehended by the authorities at some point. In this case, you are the authorities, and I join in the community's support of your taking the necessary action to remove them from this virtual trail.

Sand Crab
01-10-2004, 11:29
Thanks for leaving them attroll. I have wondered about this guy before, but now have no doubts. What has happened to the ignore button? I used it once before, but now that I want it again I can't figure out where it is.

Rain Man
01-10-2004, 11:44
There were some messages posted last night and early this morning. They are pretty ignorant and distasteful....

After one full day they will be deleted. Just want you all to see a little of what we have to put up with from day to day.
Enough said.

Rick,

Thanks for the gracious, thoughtful manner in which you moderate and administer WhiteBlaze. To say that Former Easy's posts are "ignorant and distasteful" is an understatement.

Thank you for letting us in on what you constantly have to put up with from this guy.

His public threats against female hikers are very, very troublesome.

Rain Man

Hikerhead
01-10-2004, 12:15
Troll,

This went a little too far, I should say WAY too far. It's time to do what you have to do.

Big Guy
01-10-2004, 12:29
ATTROLL: Just saw the posts you will be deleting. I believe this forum should not be used for this type of posting. If this continues I would support deleteing access rights to this site by this person. There are to many good things about this site to be polluted by the ravings of one individual. Appreciate the great job you do with the site. Big Guy

Tater
01-10-2004, 13:16
There were some messages posted last night and early this morning. They are pretty ignorant and distasteful. I would normally have deleted post by this member and my moderators would have deleted them also. But we have decided to leave them up for one full day. The reason being is so you all know what we have to put up with from this user constantly. So next time you here this user complaining about me or anyone else deleting post by him then you will know why we deleted them.

Enough said.

Thanks for leaving the posts up for awhile. They're harmless drunken rantings that will fall to the bottom of the page and drop off anyway, soon enough.

I don't believe in censorship.

smokymtnsteve
01-10-2004, 13:20
Thanks for leaving the posts up for awhile. They're harmless drunken rantings that will fall to the bottom of the page and drop off anyway, soon enough.

I don't believe in censorship.

tell ya what tater I don't beleive in censorship eithier and by that I mean you should get you a site and let whoever post crap there that you want to ..you are completely free to do this..and troll is completley free to do what he needs to do...let us know when you get your site up tater..thanks

brian
01-10-2004, 13:50
I would respect Troll and the other moderators decisions in deaing with this. Im only 16, but this kind of behavior is just not acceptable in any situation, especially this forum.

Brian
Future Thru HIker 2013

Blue Wolf
01-10-2004, 14:00
Man I love this site!!! Where else are you gonna get this type of entertainment & all for free Man it never seems to amaze me what some prozac and a bottle of Jim Beam can do to people. This guy don't need to be deleted he needs some proffesional help... :confused:

illininagel
01-10-2004, 15:04
Enough said.

What a shame. I hope he gets his act together soon. I put him on my ignore list long ago. I would suggest that others do the same. The feature works very effectively.

Jack Tarlin
01-10-2004, 16:02
Troll--

While I respect your decision, I think the point has been made; one day on the board is one day too long. My only worry is that new-comers or first-timers to Whiteblaze (and we get new visitors every day) who don't know about the situation or past problems may take one look at today's Forums and decide never to return, and that'd be a shame. Also, there are probably some young people who visit Whiteblaze, and they sure don't need to see this sort of stuff.

Suggestion for re-currences of this sort:

1. Truly objectionable posts should be removed at the first opportunity
2. For as long as they are posted, they should be 100% ignored by readers
3. The poster should be banned from Whiteblaze

Percival
01-10-2004, 16:21
The best response to trolls is not to drive them under the bridge which is their natural habitat but let them show their ass for all to see. Sunlight is the best disinfectent.

Percival
01-10-2004, 16:22
BTW I'm glad to see Easy's gone back to drinking, he was too much of a snotty prig when sober.

Nightwalker
01-10-2004, 16:40
Enough said.

I know that his post is old, but what happened to said posters request to delete all his posts, maybe a month ago or so. Take him up on it, and make him stick to it. Making trouble for trouble's sake is extremely lame, even if it's just to get attention.

Frank

dixicritter
01-10-2004, 17:41
Thanks for leaving them attroll. I have wondered about this guy before, but now have no doubts. What has happened to the ignore button? I used it once before, but now that I want it again I can't figure out where it is.

Sand Crab - the ignore feature can be found under the user control panel. All you have to do is add the users id in the ignore list. Hope this helps.

dixi

Cehoffpauir
01-10-2004, 18:33
Sand Crab--
It certainly does help.

ganj
01-10-2004, 19:30
I think the messages should be left up.

If you delete them, he will only replace them with more.

This isn't the first, its probably beyond the tenth time you have had to clean up after him.

If you leave these marks on the board, maybe he won't "forget" next time.

attroll
01-10-2004, 20:32
Jack

You have a very good point. I was going to delete the posts immediately last night for the simple fact that I was afraid new users would log on and see them and not realize what has been going on. This would have probably sent them away for good if they had seen some of these posts. That was why I created this thread explaining why I left them up. But for three reason I did not delete them like I should have.

1. The more I deleted while Easy was online the more he would have posted.

2. I wanted to let other users see what he was like and the stuff I have been deleting from him in the past

3. The last reason was because I let lack of sleep cloud my judgment when I know I should have done as I always have in the past and just deleted them immediately.

I just got done deleting them.

As to you Former Easy. I am reaching out to you now. I am asking you Former Easy please do not post any more messages like this again. If you want to post like that then go to another site. For the sake of new users coming to WhiteBlaze to learn and receive help about the Appalachian Trail please do not post here on WhiteBlaze again unless you have some thing good and serious to say dealing with the Appalachian Trail to help others. I do not want to ban you from WhiteBlaze. But if you can not refrain from posting like that please do not return here.

dixicritter
01-10-2004, 21:37
I spoke with SGT Rock about this today when he was online. I know that he fully supports ATTroll (as do I) in everything that is posted above me. His first reaction was not a happy one.

Former Easy.... SGT Rock did not totally give this site to ATTroll, he is just otherwise occupied at the moment with his duties in the military. So please keep the facts straight. Thank you.

attroll
01-10-2004, 21:50
I spoke with SGT Rock about this today when he was online. I know that he fully supports ATTroll (as do I) in everything that is posted above me. His first reaction was not a happy one.

Former Easy.... SGT Rock did not totally give this site to ATTroll, he is just otherwise occupied at the moment with his duties in the military. So please keep the facts straight. Thank you.
Without getting into the specifics of it, here is the brunt of it. What happened is that Rock and I took the site over from Easy Hiker. The site was signed over to me because of Rock being in the military and having to relocate every 3 to 4 years. We were splitting the cost of the site. In about March I would guess I told Rock I would take full control of the site and take over payments. But keep him and Dixicritter as administrators.

When Rock comes back everything will be as it was before he left. He and I will run the site just as we did. Nothing has changed. The way I look at it is, I may own the site legally, but the users are the true owners of the site. We are just providing a service.

Sand Crab
01-10-2004, 23:47
Sand Crab - the ignore feature can be found under the user control panel. All you have to do is add the users id in the ignore list. Hope this helps.

dixi
Thanks dixicritter. I'll try to remember next time (although I hope there won't be a next time).

Former Easy
01-12-2004, 01:43
Rick,

Thanks for the gracious, thoughtful manner in which you moderate and administer WhiteBlaze. To say that Former Easy's posts are "ignorant and distasteful" is an understatement.

Thank you for letting us in on what you constantly have to put up with from this guy.

His public threats against female hikers are very, very troublesome.

Rain Man

I never posted any threats, admiration yes :) Besides I thought I was on your ignore list :-?

Former Easy
01-12-2004, 01:50
Troll--

While I respect your decision, I think the point has been made; one day on the board is one day too long. My only worry is that new-comers or first-timers to Whiteblaze (and we get new visitors every day) who don't know about the situation or past problems may take one look at today's Forums and decide never to return, and that'd be a shame. Also, there are probably some young people who visit Whiteblaze, and they sure don't need to see this sort of stuff.

Suggestion for re-currences of this sort:

1. Truly objectionable posts should be removed at the first opportunity
2. For as long as they are posted, they should be 100% ignored by readers
3. The poster should be banned from Whiteblaze

Jack your tune sure has changed, from your initial no censorship days ...... Whats that all about :confused: Some people need a sense of humor which I guess can't be found here, so in the next week I will start up PartyTrail.Com and we will celebrate the partying and humor along the trail at http://partytrail.com

Former Easy
01-12-2004, 02:15
BTW I'm glad to see Easy's gone back to drinking, he was too much of a snotty prig when sober.

I'm glad to be drinking again also :D

Former Easy
01-12-2004, 02:22
tell ya what tater I don't beleive in censorship eithier and by that I mean you should get you a site and let whoever post crap there that you want to ..you are completely free to do this..and troll is completley free to do what he needs to do...let us know when you get your site up tater..thanks

Thanks for your idea Steve, i'll have party trail http://partytrail.com up and running by the end of the week, hopefully we can parody the trail and people will have a place to go for trail humour, and all the serious folks can stay here.

Former Easy
01-12-2004, 03:55
Jack

You have a very good point. I was going to delete the posts immediately last night for the simple fact that I was afraid new users would log on and see them and not realize what has been going on. This would have probably sent them away for good if they had seen some of these posts. That was why I created this thread explaining why I left them up. But for three reason I did not delete them like I should have.

1. The more I deleted while Easy was online the more he would have posted.

2. I wanted to let other users see what he was like and the stuff I have been deleting from him in the past

3. The last reason was because I let lack of sleep cloud my judgment when I know I should have done as I always have in the past and just deleted them immediately.

I just got done deleting them.

As to you Former Easy. I am reaching out to you now. I am asking you Former Easy please do not post any more messages like this again. If you want to post like that then go to another site. For the sake of new users coming to WhiteBlaze to learn and receive help about the Appalachian Trail please do not post here on WhiteBlaze again unless you have some thing good and serious to say dealing with the Appalachian Trail to help others. I do not want to ban you from WhiteBlaze. But if you can not refrain from posting like that please do not return here.

Delete at your will, but I mentioned my upset when this site was taken over, big deal. I have also had those threaten to reveal my past, big deal. Where the snot flys big deal again. Trail Sex a humor post, big deal. You trying to make me look bad is a big deal, I can do that on my own. But you do it every occasion you get, I have plenty of e-mail from others to verify it. I have never threatened nor made any illegal comments on this site. I may have used satire and posted very controversial issues and humorous posts, but so have quite a few others and I seem to be your scapegoat for this. People on this site are way to serious, and your way uptight my friend, you need to lighten up. The whole point of a forum is for those to express their opinions. You cry and whine to much. And yes you don't follow the original standards set by the original founders of this site. A good example is Mr.. Jack whom in the beginning was a big proponent of a uncensored site and now you've both fell victim to the same because you don't like whats being said, how about all the trash said about me, you love to see that and leave that up. The truth is Jack is an attention hiker and your not even a hiker. LOL your online every day. I tell you folks how I feel and you don't accept it unless it falls into your category of acceptable. How about I bark about my dis-pleasure with pagans and none christans that don't believe in pro-life. The funny think is it seems some of this site has no sense of humor and doesn't follow the family values im accustomed to. You people all watch TV and see **** more of the wall then ever posted here ..... think about it. You have had members of this site attack me for my opinions and I get the ****. All I can say is your suck-ups, all about numbers of registrations and such. All one has to do is a search for ATTroll to find this out on their own, or just go to VBulletin.com and search that forum to see how concerned you are about numbers.

This is my last post here, Adios (leave this for 24hrs too) I'm sorry I ever sent you money for patches and the other ...... just send them to someone else.

attroll
01-12-2004, 15:05
Delete at your will, but I mentioned my upset when this site was taken over, big deal. I have also had those threaten to reveal my past, big deal. Where the snot flys big deal again. Trail Sex a humor post, big deal. You trying to make me look bad is a big deal, I can do that on my own. But you do it every occasion you get, I have plenty of e-mail from others to verify it. I have never threatened nor made any illegal comments on this site. I may have used satire and posted very controversial issues and humorous posts, but so have quite a few others and I seem to be your scapegoat for this. People on this site are way to serious, and your way uptight my friend, you need to lighten up. The whole point of a forum is for those to express their opinions. You cry and whine to much. And yes you don't follow the original standards set by the original founders of this site. A good example is Mr.. Jack whom in the beginning was a big proponent of a uncensored site and now you've both fell victim to the same because you don't like whats being said, how about all the trash said about me, you love to see that and leave that up. The truth is Jack is an attention hiker and your not even a hiker. LOL your online every day. I tell you folks how I feel and you don't accept it unless it falls into your category of acceptable. How about I bark about my dis-pleasure with pagans and none christans that don't believe in pro-life. The funny think is it seems some of this site has no sense of humor and doesn't follow the family values im accustomed to. You people all watch TV and see **** more of the wall then ever posted here ..... think about it. You have had members of this site attack me for my opinions and I get the ****. All I can say is your suck-ups, all about numbers of registrations and such. All one has to do is a search for ATTroll to find this out on their own, or just go to VBulletin.com and search that forum to see how concerned you are about numbers.

This is my last post here, Adios (leave this for 24hrs too) I'm sorry I ever sent you money for patches and the other ...... just send them to someone else.Former Easy I don't need to elaborate on anything you posted. But I will say a couple of things. Which I know you want me to. But I am not going to explain it all, I should not have to.

I don't try to make you look bad. I have never said anything in the forums to try and make you look bad. I might have replied in email to users asking what you problem was and why you post the way you do. Because those users emailed me asking me why you act and post the way you do. Those were one on one personal emails in replies to those users. If they wished to share what I said with you that was their choice. I have never posted things in the open forums trying to make you look bad. You have blatantly been very disrespectful to me and several other users. You have posted my real full name in posts before in the open forums. I have never posted your real name and honored your request to remove it from the site in all areas. Here is part of one post that you posted about me (word for word):

Mr. Rick cries one year ago when he was just a poll mod

I idn't want this site anymore because I make more in porn

Now I realize there woman are ugly and their service goofs

Rick adds the front page and loses thousands of members because of it, im pissed (i worked hard for our listing and listed us with the same people listed today)

Rick adds jumping goof balls :banana What the **** is that.

Rick has to just realize this is my site and im the founder

Yes he did this and that, but hes getting married like a goof ball, i'll take the other chicks. :banana

OK already with you being the founder. I will post it in bold letters somewhere if you want me to? But it was your choice to turn it over to me and Rock we did not twist your arm. If you make more in porn then it is better that you turned it over to us. But you are wrong this is not your site so how do you figure I have to realize that?

You said I don’t have to make you look bad you can do that on your own. Very well I may add. You have no idea how much I have held my tongue when I read things you have posted.

I really hate to see you go. You have posted some very good information here on WhiteBlaze.

Your right the whole point of the forums is to share and express opinions. You say I don't follow the original standards set by the original founders of this site. Well maybe you started this site and you were the original founder. I don't know what your intentions were. We must have different standards. Here is my outlook of what this site should be.

"WhiteBlaze is for the free sharing of information and experiences dealing with the Appalachian Trail. No one person’s experiences are any better or worse than any one else’s. Here we think that everyone’s dreams, from hiking that first mile to finishing the climb at Mt. Katahdin, is a dream worth sharing."

I don't mind the occasional off topic and your right I do let some slide. But this site is an informational site to help others. I don't see how some of your post are informational. I and most users are disgusted with some of them. I would love to see you stay on WhiteBlaze and share Appalachian Trail information and discussions with us. I don't want you to go. But when you get in your moods they ruin it for others who come here and have to read the post that are off topic.

attroll
01-13-2004, 02:15
I am going to try and make this short and sweet. No promises though.

I don’t know about everyone else on WhiteBlaze but I have had enough of this garbage. I have tried to be nice and polite about this. There is no excuse for any of the post that were done by this one user Saturday night. They can say all they want about us here on WhiteBlaze not having a sense of humor and we need to lighten up. But when someone intentionally comes to the site and starts over 10 new threads ranging on subjects like, how big are your balls, cock sucker, carrying piss bags, huge snots, trail sex, and hate messages. That to me is uncalled for and shows no respect for the trail or the users on WhiteBlaze. Straying from the subject or getting wise once and a while is understandable. But bombing the forums with stuff that was posted can not be tolerated. We have users on WhiteBlaze as young as 16, maybe even younger. We need to set an example to them. Let me give you an example:

We have two Boy Scout troops on WhiteBlaze that I know of. When they have their meetings the Scoutmasters sometimes let them log on to WhiteBlaze to read the forums. I had one Scoutmaster email me and in so many words say that WhiteBlaze was no longer suitable for his Scouts to log on to and read and until WhiteBlaze cleans up or controls some certain users (which I will not name), he and his scouts will no longer log on. I was really bummed out after reading this email. We are mostly all adults on WhiteBlaze and we have potential future hikers or even thru-hikers being turned away by what certain people post in the forums that is uncalled for.

When SGT Rock and I had the site turned over to use us both agreed that the forums would be anything goes type of forums, but within reason as long as it was dealing with hiking, the Appalachian Trail or anything that could be connect to it. But we can not have users posting obnoxious things on WhiteBlaze and trying to say that they are related in some weird way. There has to be a line drawn somewhere.

So what I am trying to say is, enough is enough. Let’s try and keep this a good clean site for all ages. Straying forum the subject and getting wise now and then is not the problem. It’s the nasty, rude, and obnoxious posts that are deliberately being posted that are the problem.

I don’t expect anyone to reply to this post. I would rather nobody reply at all. It would just keep this subject and the problem user going. The best thing to do with problem users is to put them on you ignore list or do not respond to any of there post, unless they are posting something in a civil manner.

I think I have said enough or maybe too much. But I have kept my mouth shut for to long on this. But now I have said my peace

In closing I have one more thing to say and put to rest about WhiteBlaze.

This site (WhiteBlaze.net) was founded by Easy Hiker (Former Easy) in September of 2002. He operated and ran the site from 03 September 2002 until 07 December 2002. He turned the site over to SGT Rock and myself 07 December 2002. I just wanted to point this out in case some of the users did not know. Easy Hiker (Former Easy) you have my respect and admiration for starting this site. I know everyone on WhiteBlaze agrees with me. If it were not for you starting this site we would not be where we are today. Thank you very much.

I am going to close this thread shortly. I can not see any reason to dwell on it any longer. We should have no reason to keep this going. I will not reply to any more post trying to explain myself to this user. I am hoping this sums it all up. I have also been in contact with SGT Rock through his wife Dixicritter. She has explained all that has been going on and he has seen some of it. He agrees with me.

Now let’s get on with talking about what we enjoy talking about and what this site was intended for.

Thank you all very much