PDA

View Full Version : Decided today to hike 100 mile wilderness again this summer.

Earl Grey
02-19-2008, 21:56
So it was real warm today and I started looking at pictures from last year and dammit I want to hike it again. When I summited Katahdin it was in bad weather, no views at all so its an excuse to go up and do it. Im thinking around mid July.

Lone Wolf
02-19-2008, 22:04
brink lotsa deet and a head net

dessertrat
02-19-2008, 22:08
Don't do it until the end of August or sometime in September. The bugs will be almost zero then, with any luck.

rafe
02-19-2008, 22:28
It's gorgeous in September. But you can have cool nights... maybe even a bit of snow.

dessertrat
02-19-2008, 22:30
I've been lucky and never had it below 45 in September, even up high. But that's no guarantee, granted.

WalkingStick75
02-20-2008, 19:24
Mid August last year was not bad at all, days were warm so I took advantage of just about every swimming whole I found.

Doughnut
02-20-2008, 20:37
Black math,
I am planning on the same general time (early July) for the 100 mile. I am starting to planthe shuttles, and re-supplys. thinking of driving up and parking at Shaw's get them to shuttle for me.

Dough Nut

Kirby
02-20-2008, 21:14
I started August 26th(I believe) this year and had little to no problem with bugs in the "Wilderness".

Kirby

Tinker
02-21-2008, 23:43
I should be there with my 23 year old son starting mid August to early Sept. (haven't decided exactly when just yet).

ozt42
02-22-2008, 03:39
July wasn't bad for bugs last year, It's going to be a wetter spring this year though...

rafe
02-22-2008, 08:53
Mid August last year was not bad at all, days were warm so I took advantage of just about every swimming whole I found.

Maine is a great state for swimming on the AT. It was a bit too cool on my trek thru the 100-mile, but I remember dipping into many of the ponds between Rangeley and Caratunk on other occasions, in warmer weather. Beautiful!

Kirby
02-22-2008, 09:53
I should be there with my 23 year old son starting mid August to early Sept. (haven't decided exactly when just yet).

If you are staying at Shaw's, and you know what date you are going to stay there, call a week or two in advance and save a spot. They are worth every nickel.

Kirby

Smile
02-22-2008, 10:47
I hope you have an awesome journey! :)

DavidNH
02-22-2008, 11:12
Blackmath,

Congrats on deciding to do this section again. I agree do in September if possible.. otherwise hold off till at least mid July to have mud and bugs reduced.

This is hands down the most gorgeous portion of the Appalachian Trail. Nothing compares..not even the whites.

Real special views when you really want nice weather..

Chairback Mtn
White Cap
Nesubatant mountain
Katahdin

Going in mid summer you should have nice warm weather. There are lots of (huge) lakes you can swim in. There is also that shelter P something.. forget the name.. that is right next to a stream where you can swim.

Man you are gonna have a great time!

DavidNH

Tinker
02-22-2008, 11:15
Kirby:
I stayed at Shaw's in 2004 when I did the Caratunk to Monson section. I'm going to miss Keith Sr.
I heard rumors some time ago that Shaw's was up for sale. Can anybody substantiate those rumors, or were they just rumors?
Btw: I still can't post a response from my pc. I still get messages that there's an "error on page" when I try to quote someone's post.
Does anybody know what's up?

rafe
02-22-2008, 11:29
Chairback Mtn
White Cap
Nesubatant mountain
Katahdin

I presume you meant Nesuntabunt Mtn. ;)

Blissful
02-22-2008, 11:31
Early Sept was beautful in that section. Katahdin is worth it again for good weather.

Blissful
02-22-2008, 11:33
Shaws (http://www.shawslodging.com/) was bought and going strong. Stayed there in Sept and it was great.

Kirby
02-22-2008, 12:12
Shaw's does have new owners, but from what I understand, they kept basically everything the same. Still the amazing breakfast, comfy beds, large kitchen, etc.

Kirby

Tinker
02-22-2008, 12:25
Thanks, Kirby. That's good to know.

Earl Grey
02-22-2008, 21:50
Yeah thats what I was going to do. Park at Shaws, its only a $1 a day and then when I get to Katahdin call and get a ride back to Shaws. It would be preferable to drive to Shaws and get a ride to Katahdin and hike BACK BUT that would be like eating dessert first.

WalkingStick75
02-23-2008, 07:55
The AT Lodge in Millinocket does was checking daily with the park rangers for those needing rides out of the park. This was free last year but I didn't have any problem at all catching a ride in the parking lot.

Kirby
02-23-2008, 11:09
Yeah thats what I was going to do. Park at Shaws, its only a $1 a day and then when I get to Katahdin call and get a ride back to Shaws. It would be preferable to drive to Shaws and get a ride to Katahdin and hike BACK BUT that would be like eating dessert first.

Since you would be doing this in the heart of summer, the AT Lodge might be offering shuttles from the park to Millinockett, the catch is that you have to pay for it if you do not stay with them. The will also give you a ride to Monson.

Kirby