PDA

View Full Version : Best 2 person tent under $300.

Earl Grey
02-19-2008, 22:48
3-3.5 season. The lighter the better. Double wall preferred but not required. What say you?

Blissful
02-19-2008, 22:53
MSR hubba hubba. Might even get the old style cheaper as they have a new version out.

Cheesewhiz
02-19-2008, 22:58
Definitely the Hubba Hubba hands down, if you don't want two Hammocks of course. Come on NEO where ya at, I beat ya to the punch.

Lone Wolf
02-19-2008, 22:59
3-3.5 season. The lighter the better. Double wall preferred but not required. What say you?

hubba hubba

Cheesewhiz
02-19-2008, 23:12
How you gonna go and agree with me Lone Wolf we were on a role tonight? JK

Lone Wolf
02-19-2008, 23:15
me and gypsy love our hubba

Cheesewhiz
02-19-2008, 23:19
My fiance, Loulou and I love our Hubba Hubba it's big enough that we let our 55 lb Choc. Lab/Husky mix sleep inside with us most of the time(dry weather)

jrwiesz
02-20-2008, 03:54

I'm intrigued with the MSR missing link; the MSR Trecker with insert also appears adequate and versatile. MSR does seem to have some very good options.

I just wish MSR could get away from the orange and go with earth tones.:sun

Heater
02-20-2008, 05:00
I'm intrigued with the MSR missing link; the MSR Trecker with insert also appears adequate and versatile. MSR does seem to have some very good options.

They do have it in Maize.

Hubba Hubba. (http://media.rei.com/media/p/1396406.jpg)

Terry7
02-20-2008, 10:35
I have been thinking about getting the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 1 or 2. The Hubba is a great tent but I hate the bright colors. Hard to stealth camp.

BugGirl
02-20-2008, 11:09
Hubba Hubba. gotta love it.

Almost There
02-20-2008, 11:16
My fiance, Loulou and I love our Hubba Hubba it's big enough that we let our 55 lb Choc. Lab/Husky mix sleep inside with us most of the time(dry weather)

Are you and your fiance hobbits?:D

I would ask how big the biggest person is that will be sleeping in the tent. I think very highly of the Hubba Hubba, but I would not want to share it with anyone, same goes for the Seedhouse 2, which I own. I bought the Mutha Hubba for my wife and I. I will say I'm a bigger guy and I have a 50 inch chest, so I easily take up over half of the tent, my wife would hate me if I tried to cram both of us in a Hubba Hubba.

Take your partner and go to REI, set up the tent and get inside of it, see if you both fit. Then go on Ebay and save $75 on the tent.:eek:

Jason of the Woods
02-20-2008, 11:26
REI quarter dome 3 person. I own it and wouldn't recommend another. It is lighter,stays very dry and has much more room and head room.

Survivor Dave
02-20-2008, 13:00
Ditto to that. I like the tent a lot. Easy to set up. As Almost There said, It,s best to go to the outfitter and try it, then buy it on sale somewhere else. I've seen the '07 model for as little as $219. I think it has a mre durable floor than the Seedhouse2 SL. It does save a pound though. Tyvek can take care of that for the groundcloth.

Good Luck!

SD

Hubba Hubba. gotta love it.

cannonball
02-20-2008, 13:08
sierra designs lightning. Though it is 3-4 ozs. heavier than the hubba hubba.

Mercy
02-20-2008, 13:16
I like my BA Emerald Mountain SL2. I like the big vestibules.

Almost There
02-20-2008, 13:43
Yes the Hubba Hubba has a much more durable floor than the Seedhouse2 SL, that being said....Dave, I'd love to see you and another person spending days on end sharing a Hubba Hubba!

Like I said, if you or your partner is big...the Hubba Hubba won't be big enough,neither would the Seedhouse2 SL. You probably will need whatever is called a 3 person tent.

fonsie
02-20-2008, 14:33
I just got a seadhouse sl2 2lbs 10 ounces and its green..what a plus

map man
02-20-2008, 22:19
Tarptent Rainshadow 2 is rated as a three person tent and that extra room would come in handy when you find yourself tent-bound because of weather. Lots of space and well under three pounds. It's got 42 square feet of floor space, while many two person tents have around 30 (the Hubba Hubba has 29 square feet, according to the specs).

slowandlow
02-20-2008, 23:14
Tarptent Double Rainbow. Its more like a traditional tent than other tarptents, roomy, 2 doors, 2 vestibules, freestanding (with trekking poles) or staked, 2.5 lbs. You will get some condensation in high humidity, but pack it up wet and it is still lighter than a hubba hubba. It also comes with the coolest looking, best holding stakes I have ever used.

Egads
02-20-2008, 23:27
I am surprised that no one said Six Moon Design Lunar Duo; especially with the lunar eclipse happening.

So I am gonna, Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo.

BTW, I thought you were one of those hammock only dudes?

Egads

Earl Grey
02-21-2008, 22:09
What is the difference between the 07 and 08 hubba hubba? It seems that its just the color according to specs. Anyone know?

HUNTHIKELIFT
02-21-2008, 22:22
SIX MOON DESIGNS Lunar Duo for sure!!! 43 oz and massive amounts of room!

HUNTHIKELIFT
02-21-2008, 22:49
What is the difference between the 07 and 08 hubba hubba? It seems that its just the color according to specs. Anyone know?

My best friend just bought the 07', brand new I believe off of Ebay for $260! He told me he researched both models and preferred it over the 08'. If I remember correctly the mesh is different and definitely the price!

http://www.backcountry.com/store/CAS0356/MSR-Hubba-Hubba-2-Person-3-Season.html
FIXED
Below is pic of both 2007 and 2008

MOWGLI
02-21-2008, 22:59

I own the missing link, and am happy with it. I have only used it solo though. Attached are photos of the tent setup on the Florida Trail in St Marks NWR. Sweet campsite! Bad color tent for stealthing though. (this campsite was legit)

HUNTHIKELIFT
02-21-2008, 23:03
MOWGLI any condensation issues? Nice campsite...man

MOWGLI
02-21-2008, 23:09
MOWGLI any condensation issues? Nice campsite...man

Minimal, but depending on the conditions, it could be. It's a single wall tent.

That's the Ring Levee Campsite in St Marks NWR. One of the nicest campsites I have EVER stayed at. Having hiked the JMT, that's saying something. See the attached photo of the sunset over the salt marsh from that campsite.

HUNTHIKELIFT
02-21-2008, 23:10
paradise

Earl Grey
02-21-2008, 23:46
My best friend just bought the 07', brand new I believe off of Ebay for $260! He told me he researched both models and preferred it over the 08'. If I remember correctly the mesh is different and definitely the price!

My bud is gonna be mad ..lol and this comes with the footprint!
http://www.backcountry.com/store/CAS0359/MSR-Hubba-1-Person-3-Season-Tent.html

Below is pic of both 2007 and 2008

That link is for the Hubba.

rswanson
02-22-2008, 09:50
When deciding what I'm going to carry around in my pack for 15 miles every day, it all comes down to weight. The lighter, the better and this trumps any real or (more likely) perceived minor conveniences in my book.

That being said, I've owned numerous traditional double wall 'freestanding' tents (the REI Quarter Dome being the best among them, all things considered) but have since moved on to tarp tent style shelters. Considering space vs. weight, they're a much better option. I've never found condensation to be worth worrying about when deciding on a tent; there are much more important factors to consider. In a double wall tent, you still have a condensation issue...its just mitigated by having a layer of mesh between you and the condensate. Condensation comes mainly into play when you're packing up, and with a double wall, you'll still have to wipe down the inner rainfly if you don't want to pack up a wet tent.

My wife and I use a Tarptent Cloudburst, which could handle light snow just fine. Also mentioned above are the Tarptent Squall and Double Rainbow and the SMD Lunar Duo. Compare stats until your fingers bleed- they're all pretty much the same in terms of performance. Usually, people will decide which to choose based on personal preferences (company loyalty, looks, possibly features like side vs. front entry) but any one of these shelters will suit you fine.

Tarp tent style shelters are not as idiot-proof (no offense intended anyone!) when it comes to set-up and (sometimes) site selection but after you set one up a few times, it becomes second nature.

Additionally, you're buying a product manufactured here in the U.S., often with local labor. Maybe this isn't a big concern for you but I feel much better about spending $200-$300 bucks when I know its going to a localized craftsman that is most likely reinvesting in his community. These guys are all also very passionate about their products. The resultant customer service is something you can't put a price on.

Earl Grey
02-22-2008, 19:49
When deciding what I'm going to carry around in my pack for 15 miles every day, it all comes down to weight. The lighter, the better and this trumps any real or (more likely) perceived minor conveniences in my book.

That being said, I've owned numerous traditional double wall 'freestanding' tents (the REI Quarter Dome being the best among them, all things considered) but have since moved on to tarp tent style shelters. Considering space vs. weight, they're a much better option. I've never found condensation to be worth worrying about when deciding on a tent; there are much more important factors to consider. In a double wall tent, you still have a condensation issue...its just mitigated by having a layer of mesh between you and the condensate. Condensation comes mainly into play when you're packing up, and with a double wall, you'll still have to wipe down the inner rainfly if you don't want to pack up a wet tent.

My wife and I use a Tarptent Cloudburst, which could handle light snow just fine. Also mentioned above are the Tarptent Squall and Double Rainbow and the SMD Lunar Duo. Compare stats until your fingers bleed- they're all pretty much the same in terms of performance. Usually, people will decide which to choose based on personal preferences (company loyalty, looks, possibly features like side vs. front entry) but any one of these shelters will suit you fine.

Tarp tent style shelters are not as idiot-proof (no offense intended anyone!) when it comes to set-up and (sometimes) site selection but after you set one up a few times, it becomes second nature.

Additionally, you're buying a product manufactured here in the U.S., often with local labor. Maybe this isn't a big concern for you but I feel much better about spending $200-$300 bucks when I know its going to a localized craftsman that is most likely reinvesting in his community. These guys are all also very passionate about their products. The resultant customer service is something you can't put a price on.

Thanks for this insight, especially about the part it being made in the US. I think it may come down to between a hubba hubba and a 2 person tarptent. I have a hubba and used it on my thru last year and it worked great and still works great which is why im kind of leaning toward the hubba hubba. I am always open to new ideas though and spec wise the cloudburst 2 or double rainbow wins over the hubba hubba.

humunuku
02-24-2008, 17:01
I (heart) the double rainbow- Roomy, very light, and tons of set up options.

Purple
02-25-2008, 17:42
:-? Wonder when or have they already come out with a reversable tent?

Orange/bright colored on one side and a neutural color on the other.

Bright side out for when you want to be noticed, like when you are praying the rescue chopper sees you .:jump....

neutural/camo for when you are praying the spouse/stalker doesn't find you :D

Purple
02-25-2008, 17:46
mis-spelling was intentional [neutural] as in "sh' gon'a cut ya b***s off w'n sh' finds ya!" :eek:

Thrasher
02-27-2008, 00:25
I really like my REI Quarter Dome UL tent. It's also on sale at REI's outlet site for $150 http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/767268 . It has just enough room in it for my wife and I. You'd want to look at the dimensions and make sure there'd be enough length for you. I wouldn't want to be in it with a friend either. It sets up quickly with two poles that dead end into the sleeve. You can also keep the rainfly attached, but you've got to be a little more careful putting the poles back in. The vestibules are small, but large enough to keep your gear in and out of the weather. You've really got to stake it out to get the maximum amount of room in it. REI just came out with new ones, the Quarter Dome T2 tent, it has more mesh like the hubba hubba and has more of an earth color. The rainfly on it looks easier to attach than mine as well. The entry doors also look very similar to the hubba hubba. I know REI has an excellent return policy too, so if you just hated their tent, you could return it for a refund. You may want to find a place that rents tents and try out a few. Good luck!

tanzer2250
02-27-2008, 04:53
Has anyone looked at the Tarptent Double Rainbow against the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo in a side by side comparison? From the websites, each seems to have a different strength (stakeless for the Rainbow; interior space for the Lunar Duo). I'm looking for a two person tent.

Terry7
02-27-2008, 10:16
Has anyone looked at the Tarptent Double Rainbow against the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo in a side by side comparison? From the websites, each seems to have a different strength (stakeless for the Rainbow; interior space for the Lunar Duo). I'm looking for a two person tent.

Check out backpackinglight.com, they did a side by side.

chicote
03-03-2008, 23:34
Another vote for the Double Rainbow. Wife and I used it on our thru last year. Couldn't be happier. The ability to use the treking poles for free standing mode is absolutely awesome! Makes finding the right spot so much easier — especially when the ground is super hard, or a tent stake breaks or gets lost etc. The other variety of vestibule guy out options are fantastic.

Matteroo
03-04-2008, 02:24
mark me down for Tarptents. Used a Tarptent Squall 2 or whatever the two person one is. If you're two big people then go for the 3 person version they make - I am sure it would be roomy.

true though it takes a bit more finese in site selection and setup - but really the weight saving during a hike and the amount of actual issues we had were minimal-it was a great shelter. If you're good at problem solving and coming up with quick fixes for little problems, you'll take care of any of the small setup issues that occasionally occur (like where a stake won't go down/soil is too loose/on rock). If you want something that requires less 'thought' or 'effort' get the free standing hubba or something. The tarptent dried in about 3-5 minutes too, no matter how wet, once it was in dry air/sun.

bredler
03-04-2008, 02:25

They are Mountain SAFETY Research...so I guess in the spirit of safety, they want you to be seen? Or else this is just to keep in step with the rest of their bright orange products.:-?

HeartWalker
03-04-2008, 16:33
I have a SMD Lunar Duo and I really like it a lot. I considered the Tarptent Rainbow but when you look at the interior head room, the Duo wins by a mile. Great tent!

Jan LiteShoe
03-04-2008, 20:28
I really loved the old Nomad 2-4-2 tents, roomy and airy but no longer made. Only two pounds.

But I may have its worthy successor. I'll let you know.
I just got the first O2 tent from AntiGravity Gear.
It may be the 2-4-2 of the ' aughts.

Psyched!

Dirtygaiters
03-04-2008, 21:04

I have two answers. For warm weather and the warmer halves of fall and spring, I'd go with the Hubba Hubba. Don't be afraid to check eBay for the good deals. For the colder halves of fall and spring, as well as into winter, I'd go with the Montbell monoframe hexagon shelter. Its breathable nylon inner tent really adds that extra amount of warmth so you can change clothes, hang around inside your tent in the cold. The main downfall of the Hubba series for me is that they are incredibly cold and can be drafty if there's any wind when the nighttime low is below about 25*F. On the other hand, the Montbell monoframe shelter could be too hot on a muggy night in the summer because its inner tent is windproof nylon instead of bug netting.

Jan LiteShoe
03-05-2008, 11:32
I really loved the old Nomad 2-4-2 tents, roomy and airy but no longer made. Only two pounds.

But I may have its worthy successor. I'll let you know.
I just got the first O2 tent from AntiGravity Gear.
It may be the 2-4-2 of the ' aughts.

Psyched!

Oh, the weight is 1 pound, 10 oz. Very roomy, with great ventilation.

I'm hoping someone got a picture when it was set up at the AT Celebration in Amicalola this weekend.

JAdk
03-09-2008, 13:55
Jan,

Please tell us more about the O2 tent. There is nothing about it on the AGG site yet.

Jan LiteShoe
03-09-2008, 21:55
Jan,

Please tell us more about the O2 tent. There is nothing about it on the AGG site yet.

Well, it's gray.... and I like it...
:)

Let me see if I can't get TinMan himself to weigh in. I think he belongs to WB. He can talk gear till the cows come home.

Survivor Dave
03-09-2008, 22:07
I have had the MSR Hubba Hubba for almost 2 years. It is very durable and comfortable.
You can probably find the older models for a great price. I saw it for $219 somewhere.

Tin Man
03-09-2008, 22:24
Well, it's gray.... and I like it...

Let me see if I can't get TinMan himself to weigh in. I think he belongs to WB. He can talk gear till the cows come home.

AGG TinMan has posted on WB 4 times. I have a few more posts. :o

Have you tried emailing him on his website?

Jan LiteShoe
03-09-2008, 22:32
AGG TinMan has posted on WB 4 times. I have a few more posts. :o

Have you tried emailing him on his website?

I will do that, Tin Man (other).
I know he took pictures at Amicalola, where we set it up.

tinman
03-10-2008, 09:35
Hi to all,
After several requests, here are the photos of the O2 tent from the Amicolola Falls AT Kickoff 2 weekends ago. I have had them for sale by word of mouth only so far as they're still not 'officially' in production. I meet with my sewing company in the next two weeks to have a production party and get them working the final product. Note, the tent in the photos is a proof of pattern model.

What I set out to do was update my 10' Tarp Tent by incorporating some evaluation suggestions for improvement recieved over the last year.

I slept in the O2 at Amicolola with temps in the high 30's and was amazed that I had zero condensation. Condensation was the main issue I wanted to address and the O2 has full screen in the front and full screen in the back.

The interior size was a pleasant surprise for me. My intention was to make a very roomy 1 person tent and it turned out to be a true 2 person shelter. I have always hated the tiny coffin sized tents that seem to make you have to go outside and re-enter when you want to roll over in the middle of the night. My approach has always been that the only time you need a shelter is for the weather and when it's nasty outside you need your stuff in the shelter with you to mess around with. A shelter that is not big enough to have your gear inside with you is too small IMHO. Try staring at your pack outside thru pouring rain from a bivy all day and you'll understand why I feel that way.

Weight 1 + 10 preliminary. I still want to add some features like gear pockets etc. and use some lighter lines. Final weight should remain close with Ti stakes - in the 1 + 10 to 1 + 11 range.

Size: Trapazoid full bathtub floor approx size 9' in back tapering to 7' in front and 55" deep. Height at front peak is 43" and 24" at the rear peak. By my math approx 36 sq ft.

The vestibule is attached and is full size at the front of the tent and adds about 10.5 square ft. It is zippered and stakes down at the front or rolls back on each side for full ventilation.

The front screen is zippered. The rear screen has a weather/privacy flap that is full length and zips up on both sides from the inside to leave a 24" wide and 6" high peak vent.

To pitch, stake the four corners and set your hiking pole to 43 inches. Put pole tip into holder and stake out front line. Lengthen the pole slightly to take out any slack. Use your second hiking pole to 'Jardine' or cantilever out the back peak. (see photos) there is an elastic loop with a cordlock at the point of the rear beak to snug around your second hiking stick to keep everything taut. The side pullouts are optional to use but add a great deal of volume to the interior. They can be staked out to the ground or tied to a handy bush. I use a couple of sticks found around camp to cantilever them out.

Price is going to be $269 and I have no idea about turn around time right now but best guess is about 2 weeks because I have to fit tent making in with the Spring crush of normal AGG business. I can make about 1 per week now and should have the production/supply issue problem licked by May 1st/ish.

Larger pics:

http://www.antigravitygear.com/images/O2A.jpg
http://www.antigravitygear.com/images/O2D.jpg
http://www.antigravitygear.com/images/O2E.jpg

If you have any questions feel free to email me.
Thanks,
Tin Man - the AGG one :)
[email protected]

JAdk
03-10-2008, 20:24
AGG 02 looks like a winner...only a couple of ounces more than the Contrail and the Lunar (single), yet the AGG 02 has tons more interior space.

Tin Man
03-10-2008, 20:42
Awesome tent Tin Man. Thanks for sharing.

Tin Man - the one from CT :)

Skidsteer
03-10-2008, 20:52
Thanks tinman!

How many times did you set that up at Soruck? 100 or so? :D

Ramble~On
03-10-2008, 21:09
:datz Ugh ! ARGH ! $%*#$^& !

NO. NO! AHHHH CRAP!

:eek: Can't have them all...must not buy....NO! Will Power! No will power.

:D How much ?

tinman
03-11-2008, 08:00
Thanks tinman!

How many times did you set that up at Soruck? 100 or so? :D

Skidsteer,
The one I set up at the SoRuck was the concept prototype. That one was thrown together from spare parts and had a front beak that was angled too severe and was only 21 inches in the back and about 42 inches high in the front. You had to almost belly crawl to get in past the front beak. Based on the input you guys gave, I changed a lot of it. The beak was replaced w/ a full vestibule that zips almost all the way to the top making entry and exit easy. Also raised the rear panel 3 inches which made a very surprising increase in the interior volume. besides, I only set it up 70 or 80 times...max. :)
Tin Man - the AGG one

4x4Dragon
03-12-2008, 09:45
Skidsteer,
The one I set up at the SoRuck was the concept prototype. That one was thrown together from spare parts and had a front beak that was angled too severe and was only 21 inches in the back and about 42 inches high in the front. You had to almost belly crawl to get in past the front beak. Based on the input you guys gave, I changed a lot of it. The beak was replaced w/ a full vestibule that zips almost all the way to the top making entry and exit easy. Also raised the rear panel 3 inches which made a very surprising increase in the interior volume. besides, I only set it up 70 or 80 times...max. :)
Tin Man - the AGG one

hey Tin Man,

you're killing me!!! :) wish i would have known about this a month or so ago. i just ordered the Meadows tarp/tent from Etowah Outfitters, which is nice and pretty roomy, but it doesn't have a floor or bug screening:) (fine for me but not my wife) matthew just told me about this via email. you wouldn't by any chance wanna experiment with my meadows would you? you know, sew in netting and a lightweight floor? :)

tinman
03-12-2008, 10:05
hey Tin Man,

you're killing me!!! :) wish i would have known about this a month or so ago. i just ordered the Meadows tarp/tent from Etowah Outfitters, which is nice and pretty roomy, but it doesn't have a floor or bug screening:) (fine for me but not my wife) matthew just told me about this via email. you wouldn't by any chance wanna experiment with my meadows would you? you know, sew in netting and a lightweight floor? :)

Dear 4x4 Dragon,
Sure, I'll be happy to experiment. Send me your Meadows tarp and $269 and I'll put a floor and netting on it. Of course, it'll look a lot like the O2 when you get it back and may be a different color altogether. :) Seriously though, I would try it if I had time. Sorry.
Tin Man - (AGG)

Jan LiteShoe
03-12-2008, 10:32
Skidsteer,
Tin Man - the AGG one

The vestibule is awesome.
I really liked the changes you made to it. A person could shelter their dog there, easily, no nails on the bathtub floor. Or stash a pack, if two people share.
And no center pole inside, which was a limiting aspect of the Nomad 2-4-2, though I love the 2-4-2 otherwise.

Heater
03-12-2008, 10:45
sierra designs lightning. Though it is 3-4 ozs. heavier than the hubba hubba.

I have one and like it.

Kind of big footprint though. I am looking for something that takes up less ground space but also less weight.

tinman
03-24-2008, 14:00
The vestibule is awesome.
I really liked the changes you made to it. A person could shelter their dog there, easily, no nails on the bathtub floor. Or stash a pack, if two people share.
And no center pole inside, which was a limiting aspect of the Nomad 2-4-2, though I love the 2-4-2 otherwise.

Jan,
I finally got the O2 on the website. I have been tweaking and polishing and have a couple of new tricks. One improvement is a button hook to hold the vestibule up at half-mast. Another is the addition of an eyeglasses pocket and clamcleat tensioners on the side and rear pull-out lines. A nice touch if I do say so myself. :) The tensioners and vestibule hook re retrofit items and I'll send them to you or bring them to Trail Days, whichever you prefer. I'll bring my sewing machine to Damascus and can add the pocket too.

Photos at:

http://antigravitygear.com/products.php?cat=69
Tin Man

Tin Man
03-24-2008, 14:18
Looks great. Makes me wish I hadn't bought a new tent last year.

No Belay
04-01-2008, 21:39
Tin Man ( CT one), surely you're worthy of at least one new tent a year? With the price of aluminum sky rocketing you could pay for an O2 in just 3 days of picking up cans. With the new "Green" awareness that's being embraced by our communities you can probably enlist the kids and their friends to help. They get the satisfaction of being involved in a " Green" community improvement project and you get the satisfaction of packing the latest cutting edge trekking shelter. I call it Urban Yogi.

Savor happy!

Skidsteer
04-01-2008, 21:55
http://antigravitygear.com/products.php?cat=69
Tin Man

Ohhhh...that's nice.

I think it needs more field testing.

I volunteer! :D

peanuts
04-01-2008, 22:19
;)all this fascination with the ground....;):D
i just don't get it....off my rant....(just a little sarcastic tonight!):banana

Username75
04-02-2008, 03:09
If you can find one not too torn up or mildewed
great 3 season plus tent

4x4Dragon
05-12-2008, 16:26
just wanted to add that i just received my O2 tent last week from George(tinman)/AGG.com and i must say that I may have finally found the ideal lightweight/ultralight tent!

like george says, plenty of room for 2. i've only set it up(on my very slope and unlevel yard) once so far but it was pretty easy and quick. George did the seam-sealing for me and it is very well covered. all seams and stitching are well done from what i can see so far.

the best part: Total weight(tent, 8 titanium stakes, stuff bag, seam sealing) comes in at 1lb 12oz!

more notes and pics to come in the future along with what i believe to be an integral partner piece of gear to the O2 tent......... Northern Lite backpack(by elementalhorizons- partner and employee of AGG.com) The backpack should be in my hands on wednesday and is reported at 2lb 4oz with aluminum stays and 1lb 15oz without. this is a revised prototype that i feel will be the perfect balance of function and light weight. estimated specs so far that i know are 3500ci for main body alone plus 3 additional mesh exterior pockets(2 bottle sized with slant openings and 1 larger kangaroo style on the very back) PLUS 2 hipbelt pockets. price is under that of equivalent pack offerings from Granite Gear and SixMoonDesigns. more to come....... real world testing the Northern Lite backpack in the Presidentials May 27-29.

sofaking
05-12-2008, 17:31
hubba bubba watermelon flavor. beats bubbalicious everytime.

Squeamish
05-12-2008, 21:20
tarptent cloudburst 2

www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com)

LIhikers
05-13-2008, 07:16
I don't know your definition of "best" but my wife and I have been happy with our Taprtent Rainshadow 2. It keeps out the rain and bugs plus gives us plenty of room inside, and at 42 ounces is reasonably light weight.

NICKTHEGREEK
05-13-2008, 13:18

I didn't know the trekker tarp and insert were still on the market. I borrowed one several yrs ago and I was very happy with everything about it. I planned to buy one but I was pretty flush tent wise so I never got around to it.