PDA

View Full Version : Nashville Whiteblazers

TOW
02-20-2008, 09:42
I will be arriving in Nashville approximately at 9:15 pm next Wednesday evening on Greyhound. I have a layover until 12:45 am. I sure would like to meet any of you who live in the Nashville area and I would like to see Lilred again.........

Rain Man
02-20-2008, 19:26
You want to grab a bite of dinner or a cup of coffee somewhere nearby?

Rain:sunMan

Lilred
02-20-2008, 22:07
I'm in for that, maybe take TOW to legendary Tootsies or Wildhorse....

Ewker
02-20-2008, 22:43
I can probably make it

Nest
02-21-2008, 00:23
Well, when ya'll pick a place I will probably come. I'll meet TOW in my home town, then in a couple months I will be sure to say hi to him in his when I hike through.

Bulldawg
02-21-2008, 00:29

My wife, myself, and some friends were in Nashville back last fall for the UGA vs Vandy football game. The wife of my buddy left her purse at the motel and daggum Wildhorse wouldn't let her in. You could look at her and tell she was WELL over 21. She didn't want to drink either. But they refused to let her in.

I honestly wasn't too impressed with the whole trip. The Vandy fans were HORRIBLE hosts. I am sure none of our FINE whiteblaze Nashvillians would act like they did.

envirodiver
02-21-2008, 00:38
TN passed a stupid law that everyone must have ID, to buy alchohol regardless of age or how old they look. I'm 52 and get carded buying beer.

That's probably what it was about.

I'm sure the UGA fans are always lovey dovey with the visiting teams fans.

Bulldawg
02-21-2008, 00:48
TN passed a stupid law that everyone must have ID, to buy alchohol regardless of age or how old they look. I'm 52 and get carded buying beer.

That's probably what it was about.

I'm sure the UGA fans are always lovey dovey with the visiting teams fans.

I can't speak for everybody in Athens, but almost every weekend at our large tailgate we invite folks from the visiting team over to eat and/or drink with us. Let's see, this past year we had quite a few fans over every Saturday to eat with us. I'd say for 6 home games we fed 30 or 35 visitors to Athens.

We stayed at that Holiday Inn right in front of the Stadium and some Vandy fans were there tailgating and were very very ugly to all the UGA fans there. At $279 a night plus tax, they should have been happy with all the money we were pumping into their city. But my encounters with all of them were horrible. And we attend one away game every year. This was by far my worst experience thus far. I have been to Lexington, Columbia, Oxford, and Jacksonville and have never been talked to the way I was in Nashville.

But like I said, I am certain none of the nice folks from WhiteBlaze were represented there.

envirodiver
02-21-2008, 01:00
Sorry it was such a bad experience for you. I assure you that all Vandy fans are not so bad. Bad experiences can happen at any SEC game. I had bad experiences in several SEC city's too, but it was just a few and there were always nice people at those places as well. Don't let a few bad apples spoil the whole barrel for you. BTW that's a nice touch to invite visiting fans to your tailgate. It's easier to be nice when you kick their a** in the game a bit later...LOL.

I apologize for those folks. I'm more surprised that the rates at The Vanderbilt Holiday Inn were that high, man that hotel isn't that nice.

Bulldawg
02-21-2008, 01:05
Yeah, they aren't that high normally. They were just ripping us because I guess they think us UGA folks are loaded since our athletic department raises more money than any other SEC school. I saw this guy give the school a 10 million dollar check at half time this year.

I guess Holiday Inn figured they'd rip us!! But it sure was convenient. Park Friday and the hotel takes you all over town and you walk (well stumble) over to the stadium. we are UGA fans ya know. We know how to party.

envirodiver
02-21-2008, 01:30
Yup got some friends that are UGA fans. LSU fans can get it done too.

Rain Man
02-21-2008, 10:44

Well, two obvious problems come to mind. Tootsies is SO LOUD, don't count on any conversation at all. I went once and never went back. Wildhorse has a cover charge, unless they've changed, plus I'm not sure how late they are open on a weeknight. I've taken youth groups there for the line dancing.

Anyway, let's see what kind of place or "activity" TOW has in mind, and go from there.

Lilred
02-21-2008, 13:00
OK sounds good. I was just throwing out ideas anyhow. A small, quiet coffee house would be fine too. I'm not into cover charges or loudness anyhow.

Ewker
02-21-2008, 13:10
anywhere is fine as long as it isn't the bus station esp that time of night

envirodiver
02-21-2008, 13:15
I'd like to meet you folks also and help extend some Nashville hospitality to TOW. I work until 9:30 so the timing is pretty good.

TOW
02-21-2008, 14:17
You want to grab a bite of dinner or a cup of coffee somewhere nearby?
Sure, I'll only have a couple of hours.........

I'm in for that, maybe take TOW to legendary Tootsies or Wildhorse....as long as it's a place where we can visit......

I can probably make iti hope you can

Well, when ya'll pick a place I will probably come. I'll meet TOW in my home town, then in a couple months I will be sure to say hi to him in his when I hike through.don't worry, you will be thoroughly entertained a my place........

Well, two obvious problems come to mind. Tootsies is SO LOUD, don't count on any conversation at all. I went once and never went back. Wildhorse has a cover charge, unless they've changed, plus I'm not sure how late they are open on a weeknight. I've taken youth groups there for the line dancing.

Anyway, let's see what kind of place or "activity" TOW has in mind, and go from there.

I just want to hang out with all you folks for a little while, I'm low maintenance. Whatever is simple is good enough for me...........

Shadowmoss
02-21-2008, 16:29
I haven't been to 2nd Ave in years, but I'm thinking Buffalo Billiards used to be big enough that we should be able to get tables and talk. I may have to do a trial run.

Let me know if someone makes a command decision.

HikerRanky
02-21-2008, 17:31
Since I work downtown at 330 Commerce, I've frequented most of the eateries.... You have Big River which has a bar and restaurant.... Then there is Joe's Crab Shack on the south side of Broadway and 2nd...

BB King's is less busy than the Wildhorse, and I don't believe they have a cover charge at night... unless a name band is playing.

The Spaghetti Factory is open and is very quiet usually....

Gotta run to a meeting

Ranky

Nest
02-21-2008, 18:26
anywhere is fine as long as it isn't the bus station esp that time of night

That's my thoughts too. Actually I was thinking we need to go rescue him for the layover time so he isn't in that area for 3 1/2 hours.

Lilred
02-21-2008, 18:35
That's my thoughts too. Actually I was thinking we need to go rescue him for the layover time so he isn't in that area for 3 1/2 hours.

That's a given!!!

We need to get one person to pick him up at the bus station, and the rest of us meet at some spot. This group is starting to get big. I like the idea of the Spaghetti Factory. Nice atmosphere and cheap, good food. Gotta check the hours though.

HikerRanky
02-21-2008, 19:27
I like the idea of the Spaghetti Factory. Nice atmosphere and cheap, good food. Gotta check the hours though.

Sorry, they are now closing at 10pm during the week, as is Joe's Crab Shack.... Big River is open until midnight.....

Randy

TOW
02-21-2008, 22:55
I layed over there last week for about 16 hours because they shut down all bus service to St. Louis because of a winter storm.

Nest
02-22-2008, 00:08
I layed over there last week for about 16 hours because they shut down all bus service to St. Louis because of a winter storm.

What did you do for that long?

TOW
02-22-2008, 09:03
What did you do for that long?
Nothing, absolutely nothing. Stretched out on the floor and went to sleep like most of the others. I rolled in there around 6 pm Monday night and the bus was scheduled to depart at 11:50 pm, then they shut her down. So the next bus was scheduled at 5:30 am and that too was shut down. Luckily I was able to catch a bus at 6 am to Little Rock and get to Joplin, Mo arriving at 2 am Wednesday morning.

Bearpaw
02-22-2008, 09:54
You know, it would be cool to visit, but my 15 1/2 hour day will be coming to an end at that point (I'll be clocking out from REI after a full day of teaching then fitting peoples' feet for trail runners and boots), so I'll have to bow out and limp home to get a few hours of sleep before getting up to do it again....

Sorry Wanderer :(........

envirodiver
02-22-2008, 14:07
The Station Inn is not too far from there. No food, but cold beer and good bluegrass music

TOW
02-22-2008, 14:22
You know, it would be cool to visit, but my 15 1/2 hour day will be coming to an end at that point (I'll be clocking out from REI after a full day of teaching then fitting peoples' feet for trail runners and boots), so I'll have to bow out and limp home to get a few hours of sleep before getting up to do it again....

Sorry Wanderer :(........
No problem Bearpaw, I understand. Are you goign to try and make it for Trail Day's?

TOW
02-22-2008, 14:24
The Station Inn is not too far from there. No food, but cold beer and good bluegrass music
I'm not for sure but I think Rain Man has something up his sleeve?

Rain Man
02-22-2008, 16:27
I'm not for sure but I think Rain Man has something up his sleeve?

Always! I am aiming for a place where we can get some good eats for a real dinner for TOW, after the long bus ride and facing another.

Keep the ideas flowing and PM me if anyone wants. I'm thinking only one of us needs to pick up TOW, and everyone else can meet at whatever eating place we settle on.

TOW
02-23-2008, 20:02
I'll be in touch with you one more time before I leave......

Rain Man
02-26-2008, 09:45
Anyone have any restaurant suggestions? Must serve real food and must be open late, at least till 11:00 and better would be midnight. I'm thinking International House of Pancakes as one possibility, though not as close to downtown as I would like.

I wanted to survey downtown restaurants this weekend, but Spunky and Turtle3 seduced me up to Land Between the Lakes for an 18-mile hike on Saturday and dinner at Barkley Lodge, so I'm blaming them that I haven't done my homework ... yet. LOL

TOW
02-26-2008, 09:58
Seduced huh? You ole lucky dog........

Listen, don't strain yourselves. If we just hang out a bit that'll be good enough for me.......

TOW
02-26-2008, 10:01
Another note, I can't leave my pack at the bus station because the lockers are not big enough for a Gregory Shasta. BTW, this pack was given to me by Skyline after mine was ripped off at the laundry.

HikerRanky
02-26-2008, 10:34
Well, I know that the Hooters on 2nd Avenue is open until midnight... They have salads, burgers, wings, sandwiches, beer, and liquour as well....

HikerRanky
02-26-2008, 10:36
Spunky and Turtle3 seduced me up to Land Between the Lakes for an 18-mile hike on Saturday and dinner at Barkley Lodge, so I'm blaming them that I haven't done my homework ... yet. LOL

Yeah, they tried to get me to come up there this past weekend as well.... I had an Open Water class on Saturday.... How was the hike?

Randy

TOW
02-26-2008, 11:04
Well, I know that the Hooters on 2nd Avenue is open until midnight... They have salads, burgers, wings, sandwiches, beer, and liquour as well....
Beer and liquor don't bother me and an eyeful of Hooters definetly won't bother me either............

envirodiver
02-26-2008, 11:36
Yeah, they tried to get me to come up there this past weekend as well.... I had an Open Water class on Saturday.... How was the hike?

Randy

Ranky, who do you teach scuba with? I taught for several years in this area, for Scuba Depot and MTSS.

HikerRanky
02-26-2008, 11:44
Ranky, who do you teach scuba with? I taught for several years in this area, for Scuba Depot and MTSS.

I teach independently and thru Scuba Adventures up in Hendersonville.... This past Saturday was an independent class....

Lilred
02-26-2008, 13:06
OK folks, it's decision time. Tomorrow TOW will be here. Where are we meeting and who's picking up TOW? Hooters on 2nd ave. sounds fine to me. I'm not at all familiar with Nashville so I'm leaving it up to someone else to get TOW. I'll be good to find 2nd ave.

Rain Man
02-26-2008, 14:45
OK folks, it's decision time....

Well, not quite time to panic. Let's wait till tomorrow to do that. ;)

Anyone have a thought on Paradise Park Trailer Resort? See a restaurant review from The Nashville Scene (last May)--
Paradise Park Trailer Resort (http://www.nashvillescene.com/Stories/Columns/Dining/2007/05/03/This_Sign_of_Paradise/index.shtml)

But they do have a live band in the adjoining bar, which could mean "loud." I just don't know about the noise, but it looks a lot more "local color" than a Hooters.

Or is this place just a bigger Tootsies?

Anyway, I'm leaning towards Paradise Park on Broadway until I hear some feedback. The address and phone number are 411 Broadway, 251-1515. It's close enough to the Greyhound Station.

I'm picking TOW up at the Greyhound station. We already spoke about what we'd be wearing so we could recognize each other.

Shadowmoss
02-26-2008, 16:52
What's wrong with Hooters? Probably not too loud or busy at that time of night in the middle of the week.

Nest
02-26-2008, 18:41
HOOTERS!!!!!!

Um, I mean, I guess Hooters works for me if that's the group decision.

Yay Hooters!!!!

Rain Man
02-26-2008, 20:41
Okay, it seems most folks want Hooters, with no "local Nashville color" at all, but alas it seems to have other qualities that attract? LOL

If anyone wants to go with me to pick up TOW at the Greyhound station, that's fine with me. Otherwise, I'll plan to see everyone at Hooters on 2nd Avenue around 9:30. TOW is on Bus # 0669 from St. Louis, in case you want to confirm arrival time.

Everyone is welcome to join us!

Now I'm off to the monthly Nashville Chapter meeting of the Tennessee Trails Association. Back later.

Terry7
02-27-2008, 11:40
I just heard from T.O.W. and He might be late getting into Nashville because of the snow. He said He would call back later if The bus is running late. I will let you know when I here from Him.

Lone Wolf
02-27-2008, 11:49
I just heard from T.O.W. and He might be late getting into Nashville because of the snow. He said He would call back later if The bus is running late. I will let you know when I here from Him.

please let me know about his arrival time in bristol tomorrow too if you would

Terry7
02-27-2008, 11:53
I will let you know.

Rain Man
02-27-2008, 13:02

Okay, thanks for letting us know. Right now we'll leave things tentatively as set, that being 9:30 at Hooters on Second Avenue for dinner.

However, if the bus is to be very late, we'll switch to the 24-hour place on Broadway, the Paradise Park Trailer Resort restaurant. Both restaurants and the bus station are within a few blocks of each other.

Check this thread tonight before heading out the door.

For what it's worth, the snow is not bad at all in Nashville.

Terry7
02-27-2008, 20:17
T.O.W. called and the bus is running on time.

Lilred
02-27-2008, 20:23
HOw many people are planning on going tonight? The first one there could reserve a table for us. My husband is coming with me.

Rain Man
02-27-2008, 20:25
HOw many people are planning on going tonight? The first one there could reserve a table for us. My husband is coming with me.

Good question, Mary. I'll be there with TOW.

What about you others? Who's going to be there?

Inquiring minds need to know.

HikerRanky
02-27-2008, 20:30
We are having some scheduled maintenance tonight that I have to supervise, but we are running on time.... We should be finished about 9:15pm....

I counted roughly 7 people that have somewhat indicated that they would attend:

HikerRanky
TOW
Rain Man
LilRed + 1
Cerberus45acp
shadowmoss

Does that look right everyone?

My cell phone is 477-8899

Ewker
02-27-2008, 20:33
looks like I will make it...Lilred bring my sunglasses :cool:

Shadowmoss
02-27-2008, 20:44
I'll be there if I can stay awake. Y'all will be keeping me up past my usual bedtime. However, besides meeting TOW, I have a matter to take up with cerberus...

Lilred
02-27-2008, 20:45
Is Envirodiver coming??? I'll go ahead and get there early and reserve a table for Whiteblaze. I'll reserve it for 8-10 people.

I got em Ewker.

My phone number is 945-9890

Nest
02-27-2008, 21:24
I'll be there if I can stay awake. Y'all will be keeping me up past my usual bedtime. However, besides meeting TOW, I have a matter to take up with cerberus...

Ha, you miss me already!:p

Shadowmoss
02-27-2008, 21:38
Ha, you miss me already!:p

Yes, but my aim is bound to improve.

Ewker
02-27-2008, 21:44
get a room

Rain Man
02-28-2008, 02:25
Well, The Only Wanderer arrived on time at the Greyhound bus station in Nashville tonight and we all gathered at Hooters restaurant on Second Avenue. It seems that somehow HikerRanky knows all the waitresses there, but I'll say no more about that juicy tidbit! What's more, they all seem to know him! LOL

Those WhiteBlazers in attendance were TOW, Cerberus, his mom Lost Her Mind, Shadowmoss, Lilred & hubby Mic, HikerRanky, Ewker, and Rain Man. I hope the photos bear me out on that. If I forgot anyone, I apologize. Lilred took the pics with her camera and promises to post them in her gallery on WhiteBlaze. Nothing too incriminating, though one of us almost got photographed almost (butt not quite!) smacking a lovely derriere of a lovely young waitress. Alas!

TOW got an autographed calendar from the waitresses and was photographed with a bevy of the beauties too!

It was his first ever visit to a Hooters. He's leaving Nashville a happy man. :D

Lilred
02-28-2008, 02:54
Yup, us Nashvillians sure know how to show a guy a good time..... Click on my gallery for other pics of the evening

HikerRanky
02-28-2008, 02:56
In my defense, I don't know ALL the waitresses there, just most of them :).

Glad everyone enjoyed themselves, and TOW, it was a pleasure to meet you. Hope your journey home was easy and fun.

Randy

Shadowmoss
02-28-2008, 08:03
It was great getting with everyone last night. I was impressed how all the waitresses seem to know HikerRanky by first name, and he know them by name also. TOW is awesome. It was fun to listen to some of his stories. It was a good sendoff dinner for cerberus, too. All in all, a good reason to stay up past my bedtime and be downtown on a weeknight.

Lone Wolf
02-28-2008, 08:12
is hooters all about owls or something? i know thier chicken wings suck. do they serve spotted owl?

Jaybird
02-28-2008, 09:13
Well, two obvious problems come to mind. Tootsies is SO LOUD, ..........Wildhorse has a cover charge, unless.............Rain:sunMan.

ANOTHER Nashville-WB get-together?

What R we having them every month now?:D

You have them so often, they lose the "SPECIAL-ness" of the occassion...just thinking out loud.

Lilred
02-28-2008, 09:23
UMMM Jaybird, firstly, getting together with fellow whiteblazers will never lose its specialness for me, and secondly, TOW was in town, this may never happen again and he wanted to meet us.

I'm guessin maybe you're a little jealous?? After all, you've missed the last three...... just thinkin out loud... ;):p

ANOTHER Nashville-WB get-together?

What R we having them every month now?:D

You have them so often, they lose the "SPECIAL-ness" of the occassion...just thinking out loud.

Lilred
02-28-2008, 09:25
is hooters all about owls or something? i know thier chicken wings suck. do they serve spotted owl?

Yup, that's it Lone Wolf. We were just boning up on our birding. ( pun intended :eek:) That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Jaybird
02-28-2008, 09:41
UMMM..........I'm guessin maybe you're a little jealous?? After all, you've missed the last three...... just thinkin out loud... ;):p

JEALOUSY...YEA! thats gotta be IT!:D

I guess i just dont understand the meaning of ANNUAL.

HikerRanky
02-28-2008, 11:41
It was great getting with everyone last night. I was impressed how all the waitresses seem to know HikerRanky by first name, and he know them by name also. TOW is awesome. It was fun to listen to some of his stories. It was a good sendoff dinner for cerberus, too. All in all, a good reason to stay up past my bedtime and be downtown on a weeknight.

As previously stated, I don't know ALL of them by name, just the majority of them.... a colleague of mine here at work had a daughter that worked there before she moved off to Knoxville and attend UT.... When we moved downtown, she was part of the welcoming group, and we've been going there for quite some time...

Randy

Ewker
02-28-2008, 11:46
As previosuly stated, I don't know ALL of them by name, just the majority of them.... a colleague of mine here at work had a daughter that worked there before she moved off to Knoxville and attend UT.... When we moved downtown, she was part of the welcoming group, and we've been going there for quite some time...

Randy

sounds like a good excuse for knowing them :rolleyes:

nice to see everyone last night, just glad that guy Jaybird didn't show up

Lost My Mind
02-28-2008, 12:08
Great meeting everyone last night and really enjoyed hearing some of TOW's stories. I agree - it was a great excuse to get together. Want to do it again this weekend?? Maybe at the approach trail?:D I'm in.

TOW
02-28-2008, 12:30
Man, I can't believe the red carpet treatment I recieved! That was awesome! Thankyou HikerRandy, Lil Red and hubby, Ewker, Rain Man, Shadowmoss, Lost My Mind and Cerberus45acp for the good time.

Those pics were so cool!

When you guys come to Damascus, I'll be serving dinner so come with an empty stomach!

Now, how many of you have used your tater peelers from Switzerland?

Lilred
02-28-2008, 13:08
It was really great seeing you again TOW, I had a great time too. Will use my tater peeler tonight, but I brought it to school to show my fellow teachers.

Man, I can't believe the red carpet treatment I recieved! That was awesome! Thankyou HikerRandy, Lil Red and hubby, Ewker, Rain Man, Shadowmoss, Lost My Mind and Cerberus45acp for the good time.

Those pics were so cool!

When you guys come to Damascus, I'll be serving dinner so come with an empty stomach!

Now, how many of you have used your tater peelers from Switzerland?

Lilred
02-28-2008, 13:10
Great meeting everyone last night and really enjoyed hearing some of TOL's stories. I agree - it was a great excuse to get together. Want to do it again this weekend?? Maybe at the approach trail?:D I'm in.

I'm hoping to go if I can drag Ewker along.... C'mon Ewker, it'll be a blast!!

Ewker
02-28-2008, 13:29
I'm still thinking about it

Shadowmoss
02-28-2008, 17:12
I already got Monday off so I can Party at the Park.

TOW: Thank you for the peeler. I will think of you whenever I use it, and smile.

envirodiver
02-28-2008, 18:22
Guys wish I could have made it. I worked a 15 hr. day yesterday with a very early start today. Guess I must be getting old and just can't hang anymore. Was away from e-mail all day or would have let you know I was a no-show.

I'd like to meet you folks and hope I get the chance soon.

TOW
02-28-2008, 20:16
I already got Monday off so I can Party at the Park.

TOW: Thank you for the peeler. I will think of you whenever I use it, and smile.
You see guys, I got what it takes to keep the ladies smiling...................:)

Gray Blazer
02-28-2008, 21:13
You see guys, I got what it takes to keep the ladies smiling...................:)

I know what you mean about making the ladies smile. The first time I saw you I laughed right out loud.:D

Shadowmoss
02-28-2008, 21:21
Wow Gray Blazer, you are a lady? I always thought you were male. Guess you just can't tell on a message board like this.

Gray Blazer
02-28-2008, 21:25
Wow Gray Blazer, you are a lady? I always thought you were male. Guess you just can't tell on a message board like this.

I guess I need to drag the Do you wear Pants thread over here. I do wear the pants in my family, at least when we go outside.:p

Rain Man
02-29-2008, 00:16
If you haven't seen Lilred's pics of the Wednesday night dinner held in honor of The Only Wanderer's bus lay-over in Nashville, you'll want to--

The Only Wanderer with the Eight Hooters!!! (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22493&catid=member&imageuser=1256)

I think TOW is STILL drooling. :D

Ewker
02-29-2008, 09:23
I'm hoping to go if I can drag Ewker along.... C'mon Ewker, it'll be a blast!!

I'm in..sent you a PM

Shadowmoss
02-29-2008, 10:11
I talked to Shiloh, and he has room at his campsite this weekend for us if you want to stay the night, Lilred & Ewker.

See what one little dinner together starts?

TOW
02-29-2008, 12:48
I'm still dreaming of those eight hooters..............

Gray Blazer
02-29-2008, 15:07
I'm still dreaming of those eight hooters..............

You musta been seein' double! (BTW, I saw the pics. I think I have an extra frame if ya know what I mean.)

Lilred
02-29-2008, 17:52
I talked to Shiloh, and he has room at his campsite this weekend for us if you want to stay the night, Lilred & Ewker.

See what one little dinner together starts?

Thanks Shadowmoss, We'll play it by ear and see how we feel. Not sure what Ewker wants to do.