PDA

View Full Version : Feather Fire Stove???

kytrailman
02-20-2008, 09:56
Anyone know anything about this stove? It looks real nice and durable. The simmer ring control looks killer- they say it will simmer with both alcoholand esbit tabs.

g8trh8tr
02-20-2008, 10:13
I have one and love it because it addresses the issue I had with alcohol stoves as it has an easily adjustable flame. When I started dehydrating my own food I bought this stove and it works great for everything from simmering to a full flame. It is expensive for an alcohol stove but well worth it imo.

kytrailman
02-20-2008, 10:17
Thanks G8tr-- hows the durability--it looks pretty rugged. That simmer control looks like it couild be flimsy though.

g8trh8tr
02-20-2008, 15:43
I haven't had any problems with the simmer control it seems fairly sturdy. After cooking, I wrap a packtowel around the stove and store it in my cookpot which works well. I think you will enjoy the stove if you decide to purchase one.

minnesotasmith
02-20-2008, 15:49
What's the weight on this stove? I like everything about alcohol stoves except the long cook time. If this stove cooks faster, and is still lightweight, it might be worth my pursuing...

g8trh8tr
02-20-2008, 16:11
Mine weighs less than 2 oz.....1.7 oz I believe.

Skidsteer
02-20-2008, 18:24
What's the weight on this stove? I like everything about alcohol stoves except the long cook time. If this stove cooks faster, and is still lightweight, it might be worth my pursuing...

It's very doubtful this stove will boil water faster than a DWM Kitten stove since it is the same design with an added simmer capability and potstand.

Old Hillwalker
02-20-2008, 20:32
I splurged and bought one a month ago just because it looked very controllable. Two days ago I tested it against my Penny stove for a bit and here is what I found:

Used a 7.5 inch aluminum camping pot for both tests. Not optimal, but all I could find at the time in my closet supply depot. Much heat loss from the metal mass.

Both tests done in kitchen without wind screen.

Two cups of cold tap water.

Timed until rolling boil began.

Filled the FF fuel can 1/2 way up, about 1.5 oz Denatured Alky.

FF stove took 19 minutes to boil and had disconcerting pops every few seconds.

Penny Stove filled with alky up to penny hole. Again about 1.5 oz alky.

PS took 2:45 to boil.

Short comparison test told me that the jetting action of the Penny stove creates a lot more heat than the flame coming out of the single non-pressurized one inch hole in the FF.

I have just received a Bakepacker Mini with 6 inch aluminum pot which I will be testing next weekend with both stoves.

I do like the wind screen that I got with the FF, and the FF's throttling setup. Hopefully I will get it running better or else the Penny comes along and the FF stays home.

The FF Comes with a plastic cover for the bottom, and is depicted operating with the cover on. Don't, it will melt. Mine did.

Skidsteer
02-20-2008, 20:41
Two cups of cold tap water.

Timed until rolling boil began.

Filled the FF fuel can 1/2 way up, about 1.5 oz Denatured Alky.

FF stove took 19 minutes to boil and had disconcerting pops every few seconds....

Dude.

Send it back. That's disgraceful.

Are you sure you didn't have it choked down on full simmer?

oops56
02-20-2008, 20:52
As i see it to many things to go wrong like things getting bent.

g8trh8tr
02-21-2008, 04:43
Something is wrong with the design or the operation of your FF stove if it took 20 minutes to boil 2 cups of water. I havent timed mine but it was nowhere near that long to boil water.

Old Hillwalker
02-21-2008, 09:26
The simmer ring was fully open. Strikes me that it burns like a chafing dish warmer.

big_muddy
02-21-2008, 13:48
A review of this stove was done here . . . http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25682&highlight=featherfire