PDA

View Full Version : Tyvek Questions

firefly
01-10-2004, 10:54
I am looking for the lightest groundsheet I can find. I have used 1 mil plastic in the past but it tears up too quickly. Equinox makes a good groundsheet but it weighs 5oz. I have not been able to find Tyvek to try it out. Any suggestions??

Peaks
01-10-2004, 17:31
If you are looking for tyveK, then I suggest that you search some other web sites. Frequently some light weight backpacking sites sell it by the square yard.

Streamweaver
01-10-2004, 17:52
andys tyvek (http://www.geocities.com/amytys/) This guy sells tyvek for 50 cents a foot min of 8 feet.thats the cheapest Ive seen it sold. Streamweaver

Footslogger
01-10-2004, 19:30
If there's any new home construction going on where you live I would suggest you approach the contractor and ask if they have any scraps. You'd be amazed at how much of that stuff gets thrown away. It comes in huge rolls that are 8' wide and I would imagine you could get your hands on a piece large enough to cover the footprint of your tent for very little, if anything.

One suggestion though, after you do get your hands on the Tyvek ...throw it in the washing machine. Tyvek right off the roll is a little stiff and makes a lot of crinkling noise when hendled. One pass through the washing machine (and then let it air dry) and the Tyvek will take on a softer texture but still retain is waterproof characterists.

kank
01-11-2004, 19:43
Tyvek is more durable than 1-mil polythylene, but it weighs quite a bit more. 3-mil poly should weigh less than Tyvek and be durable enough for most people. You might look for some 3-mil polythylene to see what you think of it. Tyvek is not the lightest groundsheet, but many people seem to prefer it.

Most builders will not throw away large sections of Tyvek as it is pretty expensive, but they throw away plenty of odd-shaped (usually triangular) pieces and probably some tent-sized remnants from the end of the roll. It is worth asking about if you have construction sites nearby. While you're there, the thinnest gauge of roof flashing that they use makes excellent windscreens, pot lids, etc. I know you didn't ask, but...

DebW
01-11-2004, 21:21
One suggestion though, after you do get your hands on the Tyvek ...throw it in the washing machine. Tyvek right off the roll is a little stiff and makes a lot of crinkling noise when hendled. One pass through the washing machine (and then let it air dry) and the Tyvek will take on a softer texture but still retain is waterproof characterists.

Tyvek shrinks a bit after it's been through the washer. So wash it first and then cut it. Or cut it a few inches large and then wash it.