PDA

View Full Version : Staying in hotels/motels etc. with your dog?

pittmad
02-20-2008, 10:48
Has anyone encountered any problems finding lodging for a night while in town with your dog? Are most places accomodating assuming your dog is well trained and not-destructive?

Foyt20
02-20-2008, 10:57
that may be something that you want to check on before your trip.

pittmad
02-20-2008, 10:58
that may be something that you want to check on before your trip.

ummmmm, yeah. you're right. thanks for the insight!

mrburns
02-20-2008, 11:04
I've been using the Thru-Hiker's Companion to plan my trip, and it lists a few hotels in each area and notes which ones accept dogs and which ones don't... it also notes hostels/campground policies on pets. In some cases pets are no extra charge, in others there may be a fee... anywhere from $2 - $12 in general.

I don't plan to stay in many hotels, but in the cases where that is my plan, there seems to be pet-friendly options available.

I called a few of the places to verify the info was accurate, and so far so good... so my recommendation is to pick up a copy of that book.

Cindy from Indy
02-20-2008, 11:12
I've been using the Thru-Hiker's Companion to plan my trip, and it lists a few hotels in each area and notes which ones accept dogs and which ones don't... it also notes hostels/campground policies on pets. In some cases pets are no extra charge, in others there may be a fee... anywhere from $2 - $12 in general.

The "APPALACHIAN PAGES" guide does that for you too! It has scads of info about whether or not dogs are allowed or what you can do with your doggie if he's not allowed inside.

Plus, the proceeds from the "APP. PAGES" goes back into this fine website!!!

(I just got my copy and am very impressed by it!:D)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-20-2008, 11:14
Excellent observations

superman
02-20-2008, 11:17
From what I've seen after comparing all three guidebooks side-by-side, dog hikers would be better off using the Thru-hiker Handbook as a guide as it list what facilities accept your pet and also kennel services for sections where pets aren't allowed.

That's what I used and I had no trouble finding a place to stay in any town I stopped at.

Ron Haven
02-20-2008, 11:26
Pittman,
As a motel owner I have pet friendly lodging in Franklin.But we charge a $50 cash deposit per pet which we gladly return the morning of checkout if the dog didn't cause any damage or hair all over everything.

:)

pittmad
02-20-2008, 11:57
thanks y'all! gooood folks here on WB........

Miss Janet
02-20-2008, 16:28
Erwin doesn't have any hotel that accepts dogs anymore. The Holiday Inn Express stopped allowing animal this past fall.

neo
02-20-2008, 16:42
The "APPALACHIAN PAGES" guide does that for you too! It has scads of info about whether or not dogs are allowed or what you can do with your doggie if he's not allowed inside.

Plus, the proceeds from the "APP. PAGES" goes back into this fine website!!!

(I just got my copy and am very impressed by it!:D)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33216