PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry to NY17A May/June

whitey2001
02-20-2008, 11:42
I am heading out of Harpers Ferry, WV on Sat. May 24th and plan to end up at NY17A (Greenwood Lake, NY) around June 6th or 7th.

Let me know if you want to join up with me. I'll be going lightweight and plan on averaging just shy of 25 miles a day.

-Whitey

Patrickjd9
02-20-2008, 22:53
That's a fast pace, especially right off the train! Though it's not too big a surprise when someone works up to it after a month or two on the trail.

I can't say too much since my longest backpacking day ever is 20 miles (on the C&O Canal!).

whitey2001
02-21-2008, 00:21
That's a fast pace, especially right off the train! Though it's not too big a surprise when someone works up to it after a month or two on the trail.

I can't say too much since my longest backpacking day ever is 20 miles (on the C&O Canal!).

I know, but when I got off the trail in Harpers Ferry, I was averaging ~25 miles a day with 30 being my longest heading in to Front Royal. I go lightweight which tends to let me go further. I ride my bike to work just about every day as well as hike as often as I can. I will have multiple 25-30 mile days prior to stepping off the train.

I don't expect to find anyone and don't plan on it, but I know it can be a lot more enjoyable with a partner. I'm sure there will be plenty of friendly souls on the trail at that time that I will meet up with.

Take care,

whitey

reefer
03-06-2008, 21:15
Could be interested. I like big mile days. two years ago did Damascus to Erwin in 4 1/2 days. I do a little trail running durnig my hikes when my pack gets light. Also some night hiking. My only prolbem is I tend to over-do it because when I got to Erwin I don't thik I had a 10 mile day left in me. Anyway, I will be retireing April 1 (age 60) and was thinking of a section hike in May after the spring runs I do. I am a cycler also. My wife and I tandem. I hooked up with a great person 4 years ago for my first time out on the AT, Hot Springs to NOC, and had a great time.

highbeam
03-18-2008, 09:16
Whitney,

I also may be interested. I left off around daleville, so i may start around there a week or 2 ahead. When I finished last time, I was doing around 20-23 mile days, so that pace could be doable. I'll post again when I know my plans for sure!

whitey2001
03-21-2008, 09:07
Highbeam/Reefer,

Sounds great! It would be a pleasant surprise to have y'all join me.

All my reservations have been made. I will be arriving in Harpers Ferry on May 23rd and heading out on the morning of the 24th. I'll be staying at the Town's Inn (right off the AT) in the Friendship room. I have an outlined itenerary to get me to NY17A (Greenwood Lake, NY) by June 7th. Let me know if you want me to send you my outline.

Take care,

Whitey

ticky
03-29-2008, 03:28
I plan on leaving HF on May 18th. I can't do 25 miles a day right off that bat but I am interested in big miles. Maybe something where we meet up as you catch up to me?

Freedom
03-31-2008, 19:32
Hmmm... I wanted to thru-hike this year, but some things came up. I'm going to have to do some sections instead- maybe I'll plan to make this one of them.

whitey2001
05-14-2008, 10:58
My plans are still a go. I'll be coming into Harpers Ferry on the 23rd and heading ouy on the 24th. I'll be staying at the Town's Inn before I head out. Come by if you want to hook up before heading out. If not, see you out there.

-Whitey