PDA

View Full Version : Water

TrippinBTM
02-20-2008, 12:00
Am I going to die of thirst down there in the southern appalachians? What effect is the drought having on water sources? Anyone know?

Lone Wolf
02-20-2008, 12:14
all springs are flowing

bloodmountainman
02-20-2008, 13:45
I've been kicking around on the trail down here a good bit this winter and have seen springs flowing pretty well. These same springs were dry this past summer and fall. We have had some good rains and a little snow and ice this winter. Spring season should be OK.:sun

Terry7
02-20-2008, 14:42
I will be asking this many times this year, eveybody please make a water report when ever you sign a shelter log book.

gungho
02-20-2008, 14:49
By what I have heard and seen the water sources are flowing pretty good in the North CArolina region

Hoop
02-20-2008, 18:51
Mountain Crossings website has a water report link.

rafe
02-20-2008, 19:12
Depends on the time of year and how the weather's been. Spring is fine, late summer is tough... Obviously things improve after heavy rain. Last summer the southern half of the AT was parched in August-September.

Tennessee Viking
02-20-2008, 23:32
The only problem you will have with water in Tennessee/North Carolina is ice in the higher elevations for the next couple weeks. We might still be in a drought but the water levels are slowing coming back up.

The only problems I have noticed lately are around Watauga Lake. Pond Flats dry until spring rains. The Lake Shelter still only has puddles. Griffith Branch is dry. Vandeventer Shelter spring is located a bit further downhill from the blueblaze.