PDA

View Full Version : Drybag Reccomendations

firefly
01-10-2004, 11:22
I am looking for lightweight drybag options. I have used garbage bags and pack covers for years but have recently switched to drybags. My outdoor activities involve rain, rivers and boats so I am only interested in drybags NOT waterproof stuffsacs. I need something I can buy that is already fully waterproof-not something I have to make or seam seal myself. I use OR drybags now. The smaller one that holds any size sleeping bag weighs 3oz. the larger bag that is more than twice that size is 7oz. I know this sounds like alot of weight but once I added up the weight of stuff sacs, garbage bags and pack cover it balances out. The OR bags are tough and are totally waterproof but I suspect there are some lighter options out there. I am a Weekend Weanie-section hiker not a THRU HIKER (I wish) so I can get away with no pack cover. :sun

brian
01-10-2004, 13:46
I am looking for lightweight drybag options. I have used garbage bags and pack covers for years but have recently switched to drybags. My outdoor activities involve rain, rivers and boats so I am only interested in drybags NOT waterproof stuffsacs. I need something I can buy that is already fully waterproof-not something I have to make or seam seal myself. I use OR drybags now. The smaller one that holds any size sleeping bag weighs 3oz. the larger bag that is more than twice that size is 7oz. I know this sounds like alot of weight but once I added up the weight of stuff sacs, garbage bags and pack cover it balances out. The OR bags are tough and are totally waterproof but I suspect there are some lighter options out there. I am a Weekend Weanie-section hiker not a THRU HIKER (I wish) so I can get away with no pack cover. :sun

I use the exped drybags. They are lightweight (800cu inches is 3.1oz,550cu inches is 2.8oz.) They are durable, and offer a very nice fold over top. I got them from altrec.com, but someone is selling them on eBay (some dealer). Great product, 100% waterproof.

Brian MacMillin
Future Thru Hiker 2013

Footslogger
01-10-2004, 19:45
For my individual gear I used the Equinox silnylon stuff sacks. They went all the way from Springer to Katahdin and never leaked.

Possibly a much more important "dry bag" though was the one I used as a backpack liner. I bought the plastic trash compactor bags and made it all the way using 3 bags. I kept the extra ones in my bounce box and replaced the one I was using whenever it developed rips or tears. Pack covers have come a long way but even using a seam sealed silnylon cover the fabric of backpack still got wet. However, using the compactor bags as a liner I can honestly say that the contents of my pack NEVER got wet ...and we had a LOT of rain this year.

firefly
01-18-2004, 10:07
For my individual gear I used the Equinox silnylon stuff sacks. They went all the way from Springer to Katahdin and never leaked.

Possibly a much more important "dry bag" though was the one I used as a backpack liner. I bought the plastic trash compactor bags and made it all the way using 3 bags. I kept the extra ones in my bounce box and replaced the one I was using whenever it developed rips or tears. Pack covers have come a long way but even using a seam sealed silnylon cover the fabric of backpack still got wet. However, using the compactor bags as a liner I can honestly say that the contents of my pack NEVER got wet ...and we had a LOT of rain this year.
Did you seam seal your Equinox bags?