PDA

View Full Version : no mail-drops?

Tanya
02-20-2008, 12:48
Is it realistic to hike from Damascus, VA to ME without mail-drops, or at least without food mail-drops?

I can run, I can walk, but I am very very weak at this type of long-term organization stuff.

Thank you and happy trails,
t.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2008, 12:52
Is it realistic to hike from Damascus, VA to ME without mail-drops, or at least without food mail-drops?

I can run, I can walk, but I am very very weak at this type of long-term organization stuff.

t.

yes. totally realistic. i've never done food resupply drops

hobojoe
02-20-2008, 12:54
Yeah, don't use em unless your trying to save some $ in those nowhere towns.

Appalachian Tater
02-20-2008, 12:58
Yes, you can walk from Springer to Katahdin without mail drops. It's not really a wilderness trail.

wrongway_08
02-20-2008, 12:59
or at least without food mail-drops?

t.

If your doing mail drops for other stuff, just put in the high dollar/hard to get food also. Energy bars/gels/candies you might have a hard time getting.

In mine I'm just doing the items that will keep me from having to run to 4 or 5 stores while relaxing in town.

Johnny Swank
02-20-2008, 13:00
Realistic, and probably preferable these days. A few maildrops for gear swaps and maps, but none for food.

minnesotasmith
02-20-2008, 13:02
Yeah, don't use em unless your trying to save some $ in those nowhere towns.

Or, unless you have any food preferences (high-nutrition, foreign, better-tasting) that go beyond what the dumbest and brokest third of a trailer park's inhabitants would consider a reasonable diet. When you are in Joe Bob's convenience store in Deliverance, Virginia, that's what they have for sale.

Lilred
02-20-2008, 13:04
I buy my trail food throughout the year so I don't have to save as much money for my hike. Picking up a couple packs of Liptons every week doesn't seem to cut into my budget very much. I supplement while on the trail. One way I keep the cost of my hike down. If I were to thru-hike though, I'd do it with as few mail drops as possible.

RenoRoamer
02-20-2008, 15:40
I'm doing a SOBO and planning just two maildrops for new sets of maps: Glen Cliff, Harper's Ferry. This means I'll have to carry a large load of maps out of both Glen Cliff and Harper's Ferry, but I consider this extra weight worth it to reduce my maildrops and the risks of losing the maps somehow. The only food drop I'm sending is from Hot Springs, NC to Fontana Dam.

These same locations would also work for a NOBO, except the food drop at Fontana Dam would be sent north instead of south and it might also be wise to send a food drop to Monson, ME. These two food drops can be arranged on the trail, using a flat-rate priority mail box from the post office and filling it with trail mix or pasta.

Tanya
02-20-2008, 16:00
These same locations would also work for a NOBO, except the food drop at Fontana Dam would be sent north instead of south and it might also be wise to send a food drop to Monson, ME. These two food drops can be arranged on the trail, using a flat-rate priority mail box from the post office and filling it with trail mix or pasta.
Thank you, RenoRoamer,

I was actually thinking that in a pinch I might just organize a mail drop on the trail.

happy trails,
t.

johnny quest
02-20-2008, 16:08
Or, unless you have any food preferences (high-nutrition, foreign, better-tasting) that go beyond what the dumbest and brokest third of a trailer park's inhabitants would consider a reasonable diet. When you are in Joe Bob's convenience store in Deliverance, Virginia, that's what they have for sale.

thats just hatin'. pure and simple.

wrongway_08
02-20-2008, 18:09
thats just hatin'. pure and simple.

Whats that Johnny?....... Your favorite CD in your collection is famous bangos play'ns of the 80's......:p

rafe
02-20-2008, 18:14
Maildrops are out of fashion... and not really necessary for food resupply. OTOH, maps force the issue, when you're hiking significant distances. That is to say: the complete set is too heavy to carry, and you can't really rely on buying them as you go. Bottom line, maildrops still happen, though the main purpose (for me) is fresh maps, not food.

johnny quest
02-20-2008, 18:23
Whats that Johnny?....... Your favorite CD in your collection is famous bangos play'ns of the 80's......:p

those are my cousins your talking about. and their spouses...who also happen to be my cousins.

aaroniguana
02-20-2008, 18:31
beyond what the dumbest and brokest third of a trailer park's inhabitants would consider a reasonable diet. When you are in Joe Bob's convenience store in Deliverance, Virginia, that's what they have for sale.

Shoot, I can get that at the Box -n- Save in Pasadena...

Jack Tarlin
02-20-2008, 19:13
Tanya:

While there are a few places on the Trail where having a food maildrop is a blessing (because there's either no market anywhere nearby, or the available market is lousy), you can absolutely hike the Trail without sending yourself food.

You might want to check out the "Articles" section of Whiteblaze where there is a lot of information on re-supply, shopping options, etc. Also, any of the major Trail guidebooks will have extensive information on places close to the Trail (or actually ON the Trail) where you can get food.

mudhead
02-20-2008, 19:20

If you could just stop at better-tasting and pick up at "When," this would be valuable input.

Must you pick on my "fambly?"

Bless your heart.

Blissful
02-20-2008, 21:57
Maildrops are out of fashion... and not really necessary for food resupply. Bottom line, maildrops still happen, though the main purpose (for me) is fresh maps, not food.

The idea that mail drops are somehow "out of vogue" is disingenious at best. We did mail drops because of the better and well rounded nutrition found in making adequate dinners at the end of a hard day (I believe food to be one of the most important items to the aspect of a successful hike and one that, IMO, can easily get neglected). If you're young with muscles that can repair themselves quickly after being abused day in and day out on the little protein and veggies you ingest from cooking bulgar, potatoes and noodles, don't mind the hassle of having to forage off trail for food and figure out meals from the pop tarts and noodles at convenience stores where there are no grocery chains - or even trying to figure out food In big grocery stores, go for it. We did both buying (mainly for lunch and some breakfast) and drops (dinners) and it paid off for us.

rafe
02-20-2008, 22:17
disingenuous (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/disingenuous): lacking in frankness, candor, or sincerity; falsely or hypocritically ingenuous; insincere

No, I don't think that applies, not even remotely.

I believe my views on the matter are fairly mainstream. They're based on experience (as are yours) and observations of/by other hikers. Mail drops are great if you have the support and the patience to deal with them. They involve lots of work beforehand and they can complicate a hike. I certainly can see where, if you're willing to deal with all that, you can end up with a fabulous meal plan. Or you can just wing it, as most do these days, and still get by. ;)

Critterman
02-20-2008, 22:23
Or, unless you have any food preferences (high-nutrition, foreign, better-tasting) that go beyond what the dumbest and brokest third of a trailer park's inhabitants would consider a reasonable diet..................

Do you include in that the favorite food of the worlds greatest hiker, Little Debbies? :eek:

minnesotasmith
02-20-2008, 22:45
Do you include in that the favorite food of the worlds greatest hiker, Little Debbies? :eek:

So, I don't keep an eye out for them on store shelves. I'd bet, though, you could get them at a convenience store in S**tsville, no problem. They're what, simple sugars, hydrogenated fats, white flour, preservatives, artificial flavoring, and artificial coloring, what those stores generally specialize in, anyway. :eek::rolleyes:

ScottP
02-20-2008, 23:32
I'm going to throw in with MS and Blissful here in that the nutrition that you can get from properly planned maildrops is far better than the nutrition that you can get from the store, but remember to address the thread topic.

Yes, it is very possible to thru-hike without maildrops. In fact, if you haven't done much hiking before buying food as you go may prove to be superior to poorly planned maildrops.

Dogwood
02-21-2008, 02:21

Easy on the scathing prejudiced judgements Smiitty! U have made some very informed comments here on WB and to me in person but off hand and rambling diatribe doesn't do U justice!

Blue Jay
02-21-2008, 02:28
So, I don't keep an eye out for them on store shelves. I'd bet, though, you could get them at a convenience store in S**tsville, no problem. They're what, simple sugars, hydrogenated fats, white flour, preservatives, artificial flavoring, and artificial coloring, what those stores generally specialize in, anyway. :eek::rolleyes:

Calling any one of the Towns along the Trail S**tsville is a new low even for something like you.

minnesotasmith
02-21-2008, 02:41
Calling any one of the Towns along the Trail S**tsville is a new low even for something like you.

That's someone, not something, FYI.

Also, my reference to the tinier, more parochial trail towns was purely WRT their food selection. They carry potato chips, Vienna sausage, spam, bacon, and similiar garbage, but don't have whole-wheat bread or skim milk?? How wretched is that nutritionally?

Blue Jay
02-21-2008, 03:06
That's someone, not something, FYI.

Also, my reference to the tinier, more parochial trail towns was purely WRT their food selection. They carry potato chips, Vienna sausage, spam, bacon, and similiar garbage, but don't have whole-wheat bread or skim milk?? How wretched is that nutritionally?

No, it's something. A town that may have served hikers for decades and does not have whole-wheat bread has it's name changed to S**tsville by the likes of you. Sorry, you're a loooong way from someone.

minnesotasmith
02-21-2008, 03:16
No, it's something. A town that may have served hikers for decades and does not have whole-wheat bread has it's name changed to S**tsville by the likes of you. Sorry, you're a loooong way from someone.

There's no point in attempting to carry on a substantive conversation with someone like yourself who posts like a middle-schooler.

BigStu
02-21-2008, 03:51

Surely a store, especially in a small town, has to stock goods that it will sell - and sell year round in order to stay in business.

Simple fact - if there is little or no demand for certain produce then it will not appear on the shelf; as a customer, if we are dissatisfied in the goods available then we take our business elsewhere or make alternative arrangements.

If I need to find my way into a small town I hope it's not after another hiker who has sneered at what the town has to offer.

BigStu
02-21-2008, 03:53
Sorry - should have added: Nicely put, Blue Jay

Tin Man
02-21-2008, 07:15
Surely a store, especially in a small town, has to stock goods that it will sell - and sell year round in order to stay in business.

Simple fact - if there is little or no demand for certain produce then it will not appear on the shelf; as a customer, if we are dissatisfied in the goods available then we take our business elsewhere or make alternative arrangements.

If I need to find my way into a small town I hope it's not after another hiker who has sneered at what the town has to offer.

MS does not appear to like the towns, complains about the trail and its upkeep, and waxes negative on many of the people too. Why does he hike the AT, I wonder? Well MS, enlighten us.

Blue Jay
02-21-2008, 07:26

Lucky for us there are very very few MiniSmiths, one is too many. The overwhelming percentage of hikers are thrilled to get any food at all and are very grateful for trail towns.

minnesotasmith
02-21-2008, 09:39

1) No argument with paragraphs 1 & 2.

2) I'm not rude to townspeople (well, other than ones whose loose dogs go after me when I'm walking along public sidewalks minding my own business). I just used maildrops heavily on my thruhike, considering it a good decision, and would do so again on a possible future thruhike.

3) For anyone concerned with nutrition, small convenience store food IS typically fecal in quality. This should not be so hard for people here who've actually stopped at such a place during an LD hike to accept and admit. There may be something larger-than-life about many hostels, trail angels, hikers, trail maintainers, hiking book authors, etc., but I fail to see how an ordinary convenience store to whom hikers are irrelevant at best would qualify -- it's ordinary!! Think of the dime-a-dozen place (with staff often rude to hikers, too) that replaced the Worthington Bakery in NJ; going to kowtow every time you pass it, with how hikers are treated there? Not me either.

4) Why someone would do a thruhike is one of the most difficult questions for them to answer. You know that. Anyway, I've made stabs at answering that on previous threads on the subject; feel free to use the Search feature to look at my relevant posts if you're genuinely interested, and not simply stuck in ad hom/attack-every new-thought-childishly mode the way BJ seems to be lately.

Lone Wolf
02-21-2008, 09:51
1) Think of the dime-a-dozen place (with staff often rude to hikers, too) that replaced the Worthington Bakery in NJ; going to kowtow every time you pass it, with how hikers are treated there? Not me either.

that's because Ahole hikers before you caused the attitudes of the business owners

Tinker
02-21-2008, 10:04
Another good reason for each of us to treat even the rudest person with respect. YOU might be the one who changes their opinion of hikers from bad to good (or at least you'll be "THE ONE" nice hiker that they'll tell all their friends about.

johnny quest
02-21-2008, 10:04
lord knows, i dont want to be out of vogue!!!!

Tinker
02-21-2008, 10:27
RE: Mail drops.

Bear in mind that you'll have to hike on a schedule to pick them up. May be worth it, may not.

minnesotasmith
02-21-2008, 10:32
RE: Mail drops.

Bear in mind that you'll have to hike on a schedule to pick them up. May be worth it, may not.

You have a support person at home to send them when you request them. 1-2 resupply points back is plenty of time for maildrops to get there, and you have a pretty good idea when you'll arrive, too.

Several tips:

1) Don't seal your mail drops you make up ahead of time (before day of mailing). There will be things you'll want added or taken out that you can't anticipate ahead of time.

2) POs should be your last choice for mail drop destination. Outfitters are better, and a hostel you're going to stay at is best of all. It's an hours-open thing.

johnny quest
02-21-2008, 11:28
i admit im speaking as someone on the "not-yet" side of my thruhike but i cant see not having either a bouncebox or maildrop for the maps and several other things. replenishables best bought in bulk like vitamins....a electric trimmer to tame my flowing locks...

rafe
02-21-2008, 11:50
lord knows, i dont want to be out of vogue!!!!

JQ, no need to take offense or get hung up on the "out of vogue" remark. I think I'm well qualified to comment on hiking trends, over the years, on the AT. If you read those ancient journals from the James Hare/Rodale Press book (published 1975, out of print) you'll find that a few hikers actually left buried food caches (in large, paraffin-sealed glass jars) at strategic road crossings. ;) Styles change. Sprawl happens. The trail isn't really a wilderness.

Besides, there's this: where there's a PO (or any other facility for picking up a maildrop) there are bound to be places to eat... and buy food. So sometimes you pick up a maildrop full of crap like oatmeal... when there's a Krogers' next door where you could have bought the same thing.

And then there's this: there are all sorts of reasons for going into town. Mail drops are one reason.

A-Train
02-21-2008, 13:10
All this talk about the stereotypical little markets in Appalachia, which MS has painted so endearingly got me thinking.

One could hike the whole AT without drops and very rarely have to actually rely on poorly-stocked small markets. If you used even the smallest amount of pre-hike planning, you could locate and utilize all of the large supermarkets which supply good selection and better nutritional food. The Food Lion or IGA may not have the full range of Organic food or free-ranged meat, but they'll have things like whole-wheat products, fresh produce and the Fantastic line of dehydrated meals.

You might have to carry a bit more than the average hiker, in a stretch such as Troutville to Waynesboro, but it'll help you avoid the hydrogenated oil-laden snacks that fill the shelves of mose Quiki-marts.

Of course most hikers don't mind supplementing their main food source with some unhealthy snacks, and many welcome it after becoming calorie deficient.

johnny quest
02-21-2008, 13:18
oh, not offended, terrapin. i was making light. your opinions make sense...but i think vogue might be the wrong word. there are certainly trends in anything but the fact that a prospective thruhiker is asking for opinons on maildrops shows they arent following any "vogue" but looking for opinion and experience from others. im not trying to butter whiteblazers up but i think that all the disagreeing and dissenting that goes on here shows many if not most are pretty independent minded.

Tanya
02-21-2008, 13:44
Thank you all for your responses and valuable insights. Even though there is no conesus on the issue, the very diversity of opinions helps tremendously. It is important to hear different perspectives, based on the experience of many hikers and various hiking styles. I am hear to listen and learn, not to subscirbe to one particular doctrine. I am with Johnny Quest on mental independence.

Happy trails to you all,
t.

PS: I am mortified that my topic sparked some potentially offensive dialogue. Clearly, that was not the intention. But I guess the high tension level is inevitable if you put a hiker indoors for an extended period of time. All that cooped up energy needs an outlet. Time to get outside! Time to hit the trail, any trail, as long as it's outdoors!

Tin Man
02-21-2008, 13:47
PS: I am mortified that my topic sparked some potentially offensive dialogue. Clearly, that was not the intention. But I guess the high tension level is inevitable if you put a hiker indoors for an extended period of time. All that cooped up energy needs an outlet. Time to get outside! Time to hit the trail, any trail, as long as it's outdoors!

Pay them no mind. Cyberhikers definitely need to get out more. :)

rafe
02-21-2008, 14:54
oh, not offended, terrapin. i was making light. your opinions make sense...but i think vogue might be the wrong word. there are certainly trends in anything but the fact that a prospective thruhiker is asking for opinons on maildrops shows they arent following any "vogue" but looking for opinion and experience from others. im not trying to butter whiteblazers up but i think that all the disagreeing and dissenting that goes on here shows many if not most are pretty independent minded.

Vogue wasn't the best choice of words, but it does reflect that hiking styles change over the years. Those who haven't bought into the newer styles often deride them as fads. It applies to any number of choices -- poles vs. none, tents vs. hammocks, boots vs. trail runners, external vs. internal-frame packs, ultralight vs. traditional, cotton vs. synthetics, etc. and ad nauseum.

The approach to maildrops is one of these... but even in 1990, the Philosophers Guide was quoting former thru-hikers saying they weren't an absolute requirement. That particular trend isn't so new.

johnny quest
02-21-2008, 15:18
now see, i can get behind "trend". it suggests a statistically provable increase. "vogue" insinuates a more emotional reason for a change.
ok, leaving now to get a life......

Blue Jay
02-21-2008, 20:11

You have absolutely no reason to be mortified. Mini or anyone else calling trail towns S**tsville was completely unexpected and uncalled for. Your topic was and is an important one.

GGS2
02-21-2008, 21:02
You have absolutely no reason to be mortified. Mini or anyone else calling trail towns S**tsville was completely unexpected and uncalled for. Your topic was and is an important one.

There's a town just north of Ottawa called Stitsville. I presume that was the place MS was referring to. The Stitsville Market is quite good, I understand.

Symbol
03-04-2008, 15:11
Bottom line... maildrops are a tool to use. You know exactly what you will get in the package. They just require more planning and timing to get to them. Use them for maps and supplemental supplies. Other than that, get most of your food in trail towns seems to be the best alternative. And that will be hit or miss depending where you are.

Jack Tarlin
03-04-2008, 15:17
Actually, buying food while en route is not exactly "hit or miss." There are more large markets and even full-sized supermarkets than you might think. And many of the smaller stores along the way are used to hikers and go out of their way to carry stuff that hikers want or need (like Neel's Gap; Bluff Mt. Outfitters; etc).

And while it's true that sending one's self food in a maildrop guarantees that you'll know exactly what's in the package, the problem with this is that before your trip is very old, you'll probably be totally sick of most of the stuff that's in there, but you're essentially stuck with it, unless you want to give it away, and shop for food instead of eating your maildrop, which is like paying for your food twice.

Buying en route for most (if not just about all) of the trip is the best way to go, for any number orf reasons.

Symbol
03-04-2008, 15:55
What I meant was hit or miss to find those things that you really want and to supplement with some treats or special food that you really want. Other than that... re-supply in towns.

For me persoanly, I would rather just take what I can find in towns and not hassle with mail drops.