PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the right Hiking sandal.

No Belay
02-20-2008, 13:15
I'm interested in any recomendations for hiking sandals and under socks to compliment them. My feet sweat excessively so I'm hoping sandals might be a viable option.

Savor Happy.

Foyt20
02-20-2008, 14:21
What is Hinking that sounds like fun ;)

sheepdog
02-20-2008, 14:24
I found a left hiking sandal just south of clingmans dome. Send me a description if you lost it and I will gladly send it back to you.

ki0eh
02-20-2008, 14:42
I'll hike in Keens with Smartwool socks - just not on the PA rocks or in mud or snow.

Shiraz-mataz
02-20-2008, 15:14
I love my Teva Terra-Fi sandals. I've had them for years and they are so broken in! When I wear anything at all, it's always my trusty Tevas. No need for camp shoes with sandals either, and wet shoes socks are a non-issue!

Blissful
02-20-2008, 15:25
My hubby loved his Bite sandals because they had a toe guard, but they don't make them anymore. Many also like Chacos but I thought they were kind of heavy.

CrumbSnatcher
02-20-2008, 15:30
chacos ga-me twice (ice, rain, snow, p.a. rocks,etc...) strong ankles are a plus. your feet wont sweat so much. i would wear low cut gaiters and seal skins once in awhile. i like smartwool socks(no liners needed)

No Belay
02-21-2008, 14:03
What is Hinking that sounds like fun ;)

A.J., In 1973, Hinking replaced "push ups" as the New Jersey State Dance after the Governor discovered push ups weren't considered a dance any where else. It's a unique dance where the participants all don their clothing back-wards and then run around the dance floor back-wards in a large figure 8. The dance continues until there are only 2 participants left or until the pile in the center of the floor gets to large to maneuver around.

I can't spell but I don't dance in New Jersey either.

Do you know anything about hiking in sandals?;)

Savor Happy!

Tinker
02-21-2008, 14:12
Keen Newport sandles (no leather) with Chaco insoles and Smartwool socks (Sealskinz in warm rain, light neoprene in cold rain. In snow I'd rather wear boots.

humunuku
02-21-2008, 14:18
I hiked all last summer in Merrell Chameleon web sandle like things, wore d-feat bike socks with them and superfeet insoles. worked well, although they didn't dry out super fast when wet

Foyt20
02-21-2008, 19:22
A.J., In 1973, Hinking replaced "push ups" as the New Jersey State Dance after the Governor discovered push ups weren't considered a dance any where else. It's a unique dance where the participants all don their clothing back-wards and then run around the dance floor back-wards in a large figure 8. The dance continues until there are only 2 participants left or until the pile in the center of the floor gets to large to maneuver around.

I can't spell but I don't dance in New Jersey either.

Do you know anything about hiking in sandals?;)

Savor Happy!

No sir i have no clue about sandals, but i saw someone wearing them one time. I like my ankles to be in one piece when im on the trail (i have sprained both several times, and that can be a pain in the .... well , ankle.

I have not recieved my invite to the Ball in the last few years, but i understand that you have to sell your soul to the devi... I mean Gov. John Corzine to get an invite :rolleyes:.

JUst making life a little better for ya No Belay, hoping to make someone smile when they saw that. Im just here for a good time ;).

Have a good one.

berninbush
02-21-2008, 19:33
I love my Teva Terra-Fi sandals. I've had them for years and they are so broken in! When I wear anything at all, it's always my trusty Tevas. No need for camp shoes with sandals either, and wet shoes socks are a non-issue!

I love my Tevas too! One benefit is that they have a minimum of strapping so when they get wet, they dry out quickly. In warm, wet weather, or when you're doing a lot of stream crossings, you can just wear them without socks-- that's good for the swampy trails I hike. I haven't tried them in really cold weather, but I imagine you'd want warm waterproof socks.

My biggest problem with most shoes is rubbing on the tops of my toes. I love having them free to the open air. You just have to be a bit more careful about where you step so as not to stub them. Don't go kicking things!

No Belay
02-21-2008, 21:02
No sir i have no clue about sandals, but i saw someone wearing them one time. I like my ankles to be in one piece when im on the trail (i have sprained both several times, and that can be a pain in the .... well , ankle.

I have not recieved my invite to the Ball in the last few years, but i understand that you have to sell your soul to the devi... I mean Gov. John Corzine to get an invite :rolleyes:.

JUst making life a little better for ya No Belay, hoping to make someone smile when they saw that. Im just here for a good time ;).

Have a good one.

:o A.J., Sorry if I offended you. That was written tongue in cheek as I saw on your ID "Gotta get out of here". My sense of humor is pretty much outside of the box and as bad as my spelling. Sometimes when I'm tryin to get a smile, I end up with an extended finger instead. I'm trying to find a good pair of sandals for the Maine portion of my SOBO so I don't have to spend allot of time changin boots.

If we meet on the trail, I'll buy the first round..... but I'm not dancing.:)

Savor happy!

No Belay
02-21-2008, 21:11
Thanks to all for the recommendations. Found a shop that's sending me a pair of Keen New Ports , Chaco Z2, and a pair of Teva's and letting me return the ones I don't want. Let's me make a good choice for just the cost of the return shipping. I'm concerned that the toe loop on the Z2s might be to abrasive but I'll at least try em on.

Savor Happy!

Foyt20
02-21-2008, 21:17
:o A.J., Sorry if I offended you. That was written tongue in cheek as I saw on your ID "Gotta get out of here". My sense of humor is pretty much outside of the box and as bad as my spelling. Sometimes when I'm tryin to get a smile, I end up with an extended finger instead. I'm trying to find a good pair of sandals for the Maine portion of my SOBO so I don't have to spend allot of time changin boots.

If we meet on the trail, I'll buy the first round..... but I'm not dancing.:)

Savor happy!

looks like our humor took the same trail. that why you got the tounge in cheek answer ;). I know where you are coming from.

Im glad to hear you found the sandals you were looking for, and ill be waiting. let me know (if you get the chance) when you are headed thru NJ/NY/PA and ill bring you the first (and second round) right to the trail for you.

Have a good night.

A.J.

The Weasel
02-21-2008, 21:40
Bite makes a very nice hiking sandal with a very good toe guard.

TW

bpenpusher
04-28-2010, 01:58
chacos is the best choice for hiking sandals. less strain to the feet, sturdy support and less blisters in the feet too.