PDA

View Full Version : Clock (Time in a nalgene?)

Swiss Roll
02-20-2008, 13:23
"The first public clock in the world is thought to have been installed in a church in Milan in 1335. The early mechanical clocks were a link between the world ruled by the sun, moon, and stars and a world which is now ruled by machines." -from 'A Short History of the World' by Geoffrey Blainey.

Is part of the allure of backpacking the shedding, even if only temporarily, of the tyranny of the clock? How liberating it is to be unaware of what time it is, and to not even care.

Thoughts?

bloodmountainman
02-20-2008, 13:34
On the trail time is measured in days; not minutes and hours. The sun and the moon become the clock. When you are hungry, it's time to eat. When you are tired, it's time to sleep. Total freedom!!!:sun

hobojoe
02-20-2008, 13:37
Yes I agree. No clock and no cellphone is paradise. All work and no play, however......

Pedaling Fool
02-20-2008, 13:42
Focusing on a mechanical contraption and saying that is TIME is incorrect. Just one way we've learned to measure it. Your footsteps are a measure of time, the sun across the sky is a measurement of time, the wrinkles on your face is a measure of time. You can't escape time, less you travel at the speed of light.

ScottP
02-20-2008, 14:26
I wouldn't hike without a watch

DesertMTB
02-20-2008, 14:32
When you need to make it to a Post Office for a maildrop, or a store for resupply, knowing what time it is can be helpful.

gungho
02-20-2008, 14:36
I wouldn't hike without a watch
I sadly agree,I love the total freedom of being out in the woods and not having to be on a time table. But,it seems like we all get caught up in the obsession of wanting to know how long it took to do a certain section.

ScottP
02-20-2008, 14:39
It's also a useful navigational tool (dead reckoning)

bloodmountainman
02-20-2008, 15:12
Having said what I did about the sun and moon being the clock, I admit to carrying a watch.

Blissful
02-20-2008, 15:19
When my watch battery died on the trail for about 2 weeks, it was interesting to base the time on the sun and its position in the sky. I got to know exactly when it was about time to be at camp for dinner, etc. And the brightness of my tent on the inside allowed me to decide when to get up. Rather refreshing. Watches can really be a nuisance, adding to stress levels, etc. And I am a clockaholic.

max patch
02-20-2008, 15:24
You're at a nasty old shelter at 7:30. The next water source is 3 miles away at a spot with a fantastic view. Can you make it?

I think its liberating to know the answer.

gungho
02-20-2008, 15:24
Having said what I did about the sun and moon being the clock, I admit to carrying a watch.
It is very hard to leave the gadgets behind sometimes:)

Mags
02-20-2008, 15:28

I was going to say the same thing!

SOmeone is getting ready for the CDT. ;)

gungho
02-20-2008, 15:32
You're at a nasty old shelter at 7:30. The next water source is 3 miles away at a spot with a fantastic view. Can you make it?

I think its liberating to know the answer.

Of course,a fantastic view well always be worth the extra mileage:)

ScottP
02-20-2008, 15:46
this thread reminds me of my most favoritest song ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fyDWZrr1MQ

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-20-2008, 15:50
I'm more old school (heavens, I'm more old everything :D)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILf-54Smv9M

peanuts
02-20-2008, 16:15
fd, that songs brings up a lot of memories........
scottp...scary.......

Bob S
02-20-2008, 16:23
For many of us in our everyday work lives the clock controls us. The thought of being out in nature and throwing that restraint to the wind is appealing.

But I do take a timepiece with me (Palm Pilot, GPS) but I don’t let it control me as it does normally. I control it, sometimes going days without knowing the exact time. It’s there if I need it, but I find I don’t want to know the exact time.

I also turn the phone off, this is extremely liberating as I run my own service business that lives by the phone. When camping it’s so nice to know that a customer can’t get hold of me. I can’t begin to explain how nice it is to be away from the phone and customers, having my phone on all the time would be like a regular company employee having his boss there to tell you what work he wants done all the time.

jesse
02-20-2008, 16:24

When walking on trails that are not as clearly marked, and inhabited as the AT, it helps you keep up with where you are. Having an idea how long you have walked, helps you get back on the trail if you take a wrong turn. I always carry my cell phone, for a time piece.

Bare Bear
02-20-2008, 16:29
If watches weren't important why do so many people without one on the Trail keep asking me what time it is?

Bob S
02-20-2008, 16:40
If watches weren't important why do so many people without one on the Trail keep asking me what time it is?

It may be a way to break the ice and start a conversation?

That and out world is tied to the time so strongly that it’s hard to break out of that mindset.

Swiss Roll
02-20-2008, 17:24
Busted! I went in to my picture file and there I am standing in front of Deer Park Shelter with a WATCH ON! In my defense, however, that was my new altimeter. I only looked at it to see how high I was. Really. I'm serious.

hobojoe
02-21-2008, 14:36
I usualy just look at my eyes to see how high I am.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-21-2008, 17:00
"The first public clock in the world is thought to have been installed in a church in Milan in 1335. The early mechanical clocks were a link between the world ruled by the sun, moon, and stars and a world which is now ruled by machines." -from 'A Short History of the World' by Geoffrey Blainey.

Is part of the allure of backpacking the shedding, even if only temporarily, of the tyranny of the clock? How liberating it is to be unaware of what time it is, and to not even care.

Thoughts?
Going by daily interactions with people, half the country runs without a hint about time and date. Car will be done at 3 PM? I'll call before 4:30, Your coffee will be ready in 2 minutes--We'll have the part done by Friday.
When we schedule work the Janvember joke always seems to come up. January 4th to November 20th is the period of possible progress during a year. Nothing can be accomplished between thanksgiving week and 3 days after New Year's Day. See you in Janvember.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-21-2008, 17:04
Busted! I went in to my picture file and there I am standing in front of Deer Park Shelter with a WATCH ON! In my defense, however, that was my new altimeter. I only looked at it to see how high I was. Really. I'm serious.
Why do you need an altimeter on the AT? There's only 2 hills with tops, Springer and Katahdin. Every other one else still has "A way to go to the top", or so it seems.

JAK
02-21-2008, 17:20
I use a watch as much as a compass for navigation purposes. Dead reckoning etc. Also for use with tide tables for crossing tidal streams. It is possible to judge time with the sun, even time and direction if you are familiar with the area you are hiking in. Sometimes its nice to go primitive, but I always bring a watch with me. I consider it even more vital than a compass. It's very reassuring when you are lost to have a objective sense of time.

I don't use a GPS if that is any consolation. :)

JAK
02-21-2008, 17:21
Oops. I broke lent. Dang.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-21-2008, 17:24
Did you give up posting for Lent? I will take no answer as a yes :D

FeO2
02-21-2008, 17:36
I have to hike with one... I like to set the alarm to get up early, before dawn to cok my oatmeal. Then break camp and hit the road as the sun is just peaking over the horizon. I love that time of the day on the trail, well worth bring my watch.

I bought a timex with the dig compass for back up. Never had to use it though.

Another habit, I can't help timing myself, I like to push real hard for the first couple hours, then a small break, then settle on a pace. I always challenge myself to make it to make good time which means I often look at my watch.

I hopelessly adddddddicted to time...

I wish my watch would break on the trail so that I am forced to hike without it just to see what it's like. :D

Mags
02-21-2008, 18:03
I went to Catholic school for 9 years. I (along with both my younger brothers) was an altar boy.

As such, I treat Lent very seriously.

Serious enough that I give up the same thing for Lent every year:

LENT

:D

Skidsteer
02-21-2008, 18:56
this thread reminds me of my most favoritest song ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fyDWZrr1MQ

Oh Gawd. And you admit it? ;)

I'm more old school (heavens, I'm more old everything :D)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILf-54Smv9M

I feel much better now.

paradoxb3
02-21-2008, 19:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntm1YfehK7U

who else is with me? :D

Skidsteer
02-21-2008, 19:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntm1YfehK7U

who else is with me? :D

All better. :sun