PDA

View Full Version : Blind Courage

Ashman
02-20-2008, 13:53
Has anyone read it? It is the story of Bill Irwin who thru hiked the AT in the 90's with his dog Orient, oh yeah the guy is legally blind. I bummed a copy to read on a trip I am going on next week. He references "Warren Doyle" in one of the photo credits. I was wondering if it is the same Whiteblazer? I am looking forward to the read.

Tinker
02-20-2008, 13:55
Good read. More about the man and his faith than the trail, though you can't avoid talking about the trail when you're hiking it.
He's one person I'd like to meet.

Captain America
02-20-2008, 14:01
Its a good story. Like Tinker said, more about faith than not, but still worth it. I have a tendency when hiking particurally hard sections of trail to remind myself that it would be a lot harder if I were blind.

On a related note, dont try walking with your eyes closed in PA "just to see what it must ahve been like." It wont end well.

Captain America
02-20-2008, 14:03
Ashman, I just saw your location. I actually met Bill Irwin in Greensboro. Weird.

Ashman
02-20-2008, 14:04
Small world! What had you down here in Gate City from PA?

Captain America
02-20-2008, 14:13
I've got a bunch of extended family spread out between Gboro and Raleigh. Irwin was at my aunts church speaking over some holiday. Probably 10 years ago now.

Ashman
02-20-2008, 14:19
Is he a good speaker? I think he lives in Burlington which is real close

Terry7
02-20-2008, 14:29
He went on the trail because of his faith. He was there to tell the good news to any who would listen. If he had not been born again he would never had hiked in the first place.

Captain America
02-20-2008, 14:36
I agree Terry. Its a great story about turning your life around witht the Lord's help. I just thought it fair to point out that if you are looking for a pure hiking memoir, this really isnt it. But judging from Ashman's signature, I think he'll enjoy all aspects of it.

Ashman
02-20-2008, 14:48
Thanks for the insight, yeah Capt your right, if it isn't all about the trail I can probably live with it!:)

sixhusbands
02-20-2008, 15:02
It is a good read. My friend was one of his trail angels. She knew when he was coming through Pennsylvania and she planned to take him some home baked goodies. She found him off the AT wondering around and directed him back to the trail near Wind Gap. He told her that he was not worried because the trail was full of angels and it was just a matter of time until on found him.

Lilred
02-20-2008, 15:38
He went on the trail because of his faith. He was there to tell the good news to any who would listen. If he had not been born again he would never had hiked in the first place.

Actually, he wasn't hiking to tell the good news. I don't think he preached to anyone. In his words, he was hiking to show the glory of God and what is possible when one puts their life in God's hands. It really is a great read.

Thoughtful Owl
02-20-2008, 16:35
Actually, he wasn't hiking to tell the good news. I don't think he preached to anyone. In his words, he was hiking to show the glory of God and what is possible when one puts their life in God's hands. It really is a great read.

Terrific read and yes he is a good orator. I met him personally when I was working in the college bookstore business. He came into my store a did a book signing. Not sure where he lives now, when I met him he wa living in NC. His contact information is: Irwin Associates, Inc 62 Moulton Hill Road
Sebec, Maine 04481 Telephone (207) 564-6922

TO

88BlueGT
02-20-2008, 19:07
From the book it didnt seem that he "preached" to anyone but he shared his views. In a interview I seen somewhere he was saying that he would ask people if they read the bible and if they said no, than he took down their name and address and sent them a bible. Anyway, I read the book about two weeks ago and thought it was pretty good.

tazie
02-20-2008, 19:18
His website, www.billirwin.com (http://www.billirwin.com), I think you can order a signed copy of his book. I asked this question a few wks ago and doggiebag provided a link to him on youtube.com, just put blind courage in the search window and it'll come up. Very inspiring!

Del Q
02-20-2008, 19:54
Good book, one of many, there are times I am exhausted, sore, etc etc..........I think of Bill, close my eyes and think about walking the whole AT being blind....yeah right!

Completely awesome. Anyone who doubts it, try out some of the rocky spots with your eyes shut, maybe for an hour or two? Not 2 minutes.

Inspirational.

Phreak
02-20-2008, 20:11
It's a good read.

cannonball
02-20-2008, 20:19
From the book it didnt seem that he "preached" to anyone but he shared his views. In a interview I seen somewhere he was saying that he would ask people if they read the bible and if they said no, than he took down their name and address and sent them a bible. Anyway, I read the book about two weeks ago and thought it was pretty good.

Were going to go into this town and spread the Gospell. If we absolutely must, we will use words.
St. Francis of Assisi

Deb
02-26-2008, 15:10
Am I the only one who didn't like this book?

By his own admission, he fell on his poor guide dog Orient hundreds of times. Orient's pack rubbed him raw in the beginning. The dog started out in a miserable, confused state of mind, since it was highly trained to operate in a much different environment.
In the White Mountains, he stepped on Orient's hind feet several times a day and the dog would yelp, he wrote.

I'm not a Christian, but I like to think I'm tolerant of other's beliefs. Irwin's constant references to "God wanted me to do this," and "We did it God's way," just went against the grain after awhile.

TOW
02-28-2008, 14:36
I know Bill Irwin personally, never have read his book though. Bill IMHO is one of the best men I have ever encountered. I first met him at Shaw's when old man Shaw was alive back in the summer of '02.

Bill is not shy even to this day about sharing his faith with you. Bill is also a motivational speaker and I am hoping this year we will be able to here his story here in Damascus.

cannonball
02-28-2008, 15:51

By his own admission, he fell on his poor guide dog Orient hundreds of times. Orient's pack rubbed him raw in the beginning. The dog started out in a miserable, confused state of mind, since it was highly trained to operate in a much different environment.
In the White Mountains, he stepped on Orient's hind feet several times a day and the dog would yelp, he wrote.

I'm not a Christian, but I like to think I'm tolerant of other's beliefs. Irwin's constant references to "God wanted me to do this," and "We did it God's way," just went against the grain after awhile.

Seems like Bill is not the only blind one.

LIhikers
02-28-2008, 16:01
When I read the book I was more interested in his dog than in Bill, as my wife and I used to raise guide dog puppies.

RITBlake
02-28-2008, 16:05
he would ask people if they read the bible and if they said no, than he took down their name and address and sent them a bible.

that's kind of obnoxious.

Dances with Mice
02-28-2008, 16:08
Can blind people be dyslexic? Maybe he thought he was saying he had faith in dog.

Lilred
02-28-2008, 17:42
Seems like Bill is not the only blind one.

Ya, I was thinking along the same lines......

RITBlake
02-28-2008, 17:53
Ya, I was thinking along the same lines......

Explain? Because she's not Christian?

Lilred
02-28-2008, 19:25
Explain? Because she's not Christian?

No her not being christian had nothing to do with my comment, perhaps the first poster felt that way, i don't know.

I was referring to her blindness to what a service dog is all about. She seemed to show more concern for the dog than the human. Felt sorry for what the dog went through, but that is the dogs job. That is what the dog was trained for, to help a blind person do whatever it is that the blind person wants to do. Suppose the blind person is crossing the street and a car pulls out of nowhere and the dog gets hit, that was the dogs job, to keep its master from harm and if it causes its life, that's what it was there for.

Now I know I'm gonna hear from all the dog lovers when they say, " but the poor doggie had no choice in going on trails" True, and for a regular pet, I would say yup that's right. But a service dog is different. They are there to serve the master first, and be a pet second. You're not even supposed to pet a service animal.

Bill Irwin loved that dog and did everything in his power to make sure the dog was taken care of, including vet visits along his hike.

I sure didn't hear any concern for Bill himself, with his falling all the time. Just concern for the animal. Amazes me how some folks put animals above people......

Dances with Mice
02-28-2008, 21:13
I sure didn't hear any concern for Bill himself, with his falling all the time. Just concern for the animal. Amazes me how some folks put animals above people......Bill volunteered. He could quit that falling down gig if he didn't like it.

Lilred
02-28-2008, 21:36
:rolleyes:
Bill volunteered. He could quit that falling down gig if he didn't like it.

Yup, poor doggie had no choice. Sorry, but every human has the inalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Even blind people have a right to do what they want, and using a service animal enables them to do just that. poor doggie. bad human. give me a friggin break :rolleyes:

Dances with Mice
02-28-2008, 21:48
I sure didn't hear any concern for Bill himself, with his falling all the time.

Even blind people have a right to do what they want, and using a service animal enables them to do just that.

Give me a break, I mentioned nothing about the dog. I was responding to the point that no concern was expressed for Bill. He figured out he was going to fall down a lot pretty early. It's not like he thought "Gee, I've fallen down a thousand times so far, but I'm sure the next mile will be different!" He kept going so he must have liked falling down, if he didn't he could have quit. That's also a right of blind people. It's hard to be concerned for a guy that keeps doing the same thing over and over and over.

Skidsteer
02-28-2008, 21:55
Give me a break, I mentioned nothing about the dog. I was responding to the point that no concern was expressed for Bill. He figured out he was going to fall down a lot pretty early. It's not like he thought "Gee, I've fallen down a thousand times so far, but I'm sure the next mile will be different!" He kept going so he must have liked falling down, if he didn't he could have quit. That's also a right of blind people. It's hard to be concerned for a guy that keeps doing the same thing over and over and over.

Ah. But you inferred that Bill's dog couldn't choose to quit.

Which, of course, also happens to be true. Unless Bill's dog died from being fallen upon. Then he could quit. No hard feelings.

You old dog.

Dances with Mice
02-28-2008, 22:00
Ah. But you inferred that Bill's dog couldn't choose to quit.No! I was inferring that I have scars from juggling torches and knives. So why doesn't anybody feel sorry for me?

88BlueGT
02-28-2008, 22:04
Because thats just not smart............ :D

Dances with Mice
02-28-2008, 22:08
Because thats just not smart....Wrong again! The difference, obviously, is that I don't have a dog.

Skidsteer
02-28-2008, 22:10
No! I was inferring that I have scars from juggling torches and knives. So why doesn't anybody feel sorry for me?

'Cause you have no tail and very little hair. :p

Well. This has come full circle. Now I'm defending the dog.

Li'l Red, I kinda get your point. I hope I never have to make the choices Bill Irwin did to hike.

Dances with Mice
02-28-2008, 22:13
'Cause you have no tail and very little hair.

Well. This has come full circle. Now I'm defending the dog.I think your sig says it all.

RITBlake
02-28-2008, 23:00
So if a blind guy wants to jump in to a volcano, its ok that his dog jumps with him because it's a service dog and not a pet, and he needs the dog to help him reach the top of the volcano.

Makes perfect sense.

Lilred
02-29-2008, 00:01
So if a blind guy wants to jump in to a volcano, its ok that his dog jumps with him because it's a service dog and not a pet, and he needs the dog to help him reach the top of the volcano.

Makes perfect sense.

That's gotta be the most ridiculously absurd analogy I have ever heard LOLOLOL. Wow you're really reaching there. I seriously doubt Bill Irwin intended to kill himself or his dog. all I can say to your post is Wow, :rolleyes:

Lilred
02-29-2008, 00:06

DWM, sorry if I inferred you were referring to his dog not having a choice, but that really seemed to be what you were saying.

Even though Irwin knew what he was getting into, the lack of compassion for him, and the amount of compassion for a dog, from some folks, is quite unbalanced, imo.

RITBlake
02-29-2008, 00:34
That's gotta be the most ridiculously absurd analogy I have ever heard LOLOLOL. Wow you're really reaching there. I seriously doubt Bill Irwin intended to kill himself or his dog. all I can say to your post is Wow, :rolleyes:

Is it really? Maybe you missed the 1990 documentary about Joe Banks a man who decided to throw himself in to a volcano. He wasn't blind, but these things do happen. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099892 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099892/)

TOW
02-29-2008, 04:14
No! I was inferring that I have scars from juggling torches and knives. So why doesn't anybody feel sorry for me?
I feel sorry for ya DWM.

You may have a problem though, you do know what the definition of insanity is don't you, or one of the difinitions? To keep repeating the same thing over, and over that keeps getting us in trouble, in your case juggling torches and knives.

Yep, I say you're one insane chap...............:D

Heater
02-29-2008, 04:20
I feel sorry for ya DWM.

You may have a problem though, you do know what the definition of insanity is don't you, or one of the difinitions? To keep repeating the same thing over, and over that keeps getting us in trouble, in your case juggling torches and knives.

Yep, I say you're one insane chap...............:D

Heh heh. That's funy. All jugglers are insane. :D:D:D

Heater
02-29-2008, 04:25
Heh heh. That's funy. All jugglers are insane. :D:D:D

and over and over... etc...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/MrGrover_uk/emoticons/21hjhhjwf2.gif

Lilred
02-29-2008, 09:41
Is it really? Maybe you missed the 1990 documentary about Joe Banks a man who decided to throw himself in to a volcano. He wasn't blind, but these things do happen. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099892 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099892/)

Yes, it really is. :rolleyes:

SmokyMtn Hiker
02-29-2008, 09:54
I received the book as a gift just this past Christmas, had never heard of him or the book before then. I thought it was very good story and proves that fullfilling a dream is not impossible regardless of physicall handicaps. I checked out his website after reading the book, he now lives in Maine and still hikes and does motivational speaches.

Dances with Mice
02-29-2008, 10:15
Heh heh. That's funy. All jugglers are insane.We prefer the term "Co-ordinated Americans", please.

Thoughtful Owl
02-29-2008, 11:14
We prefer the term "Co-ordinated Americans", please.

But wait, not all jugglers are from America!

cannonball
02-29-2008, 11:22

First let me say that I am opposed to children and dogs being taken on EXTENDE hikes. They have no choice as they are "slaves" to those who are in control of them.
What I have issue with is you profess tolerence of other s faith and in the same sentence you said that Bill's expression of his faith went against the grain. So which is it? are you tolerent of others faith or not?

Ashman
02-29-2008, 11:41
Uh.... Thanks for the input on the ..... book

RITBlake
02-29-2008, 12:08
What I have issue with is you profess tolerence of other s faith and in the same sentence you said that Bill's expression of his faith went against the grain. So which is it? are you tolerent of others faith or not?

I don't know Deb, but I do share her views, frankly I think religion is a bunch of nonsense. I'm guessing that while she is tolerant of other religions and other views, the constant reference to god in this book probably got a little old and tiring after a while, especially for a non believer. If she wasn't tolerant she would have stopped reading the book at the first mention of religion.

cannonball
02-29-2008, 12:27
I don't know Deb, but I do share her views, frankly I think religion is a bunch of nonsense. I'm guessing that while she is tolerant of other religions and other views, the constant reference to god in this book probably got a little old and tiring after a while, especially for a non believer. If she wasn't tolerant she would have stopped reading the book at the first mention of religion.

With that said, I wonder why she continued reading.

TOW
02-29-2008, 12:50
So she could state her opinion here..............

Deb
03-01-2008, 11:50

Yes, that's it pretty much, thank you RIT Blake.
Any author who says the exact same thing over and over runs the risk of losing his reader's interest. It got old.
I'm sure he felt it important to profess his faith, but that was the weakest part of the book for me.

The references to his dog's suffering bothered me far more. To his credit, Irwin didn't gloss over these things. He chronicled them in detail; for instance, how Orient cowered in the back of the shelter when it was time to put his harness and pack on. I thought, "If you love your dog so much, like you say you do, why are you putting him through this?"
Seriously, I thought it was very sad.