PDA

View Full Version : Incorporating the Creeper

bredler
02-20-2008, 15:49
I wanted to incorporate the creeper trail into Damascus in my SOBO section hike in may, has anyone done this/does anyone reccomend this?

How much of it can you hike easily starting north of it on the AT with intentions to continue south on the AT into the carolinas?

hobojoe
02-20-2008, 15:55
I did it for something like 8-18 miles last year during a section hike. Kinda boring, some nice views of the river and a few good swimming holes.

kofritz
02-20-2008, 16:00
i hiked/biked a circuit included the combined AT/creeper route. to cover more creeper, you have to divert further off the AT. its basically a downhill grade SOBO.

joec
02-20-2008, 16:33
My wife threatened to mutiny if we did not take the creeper into Damascus a couple of years ago. It was a very easy hike, boring and not nearly as pretty as the AT. We dodged that final mountain (White Mtn?) leading into Damascus. You pass houses and have to get out of the way of the bikes that are coming into Damascus from Abingdon via the creeper. I would not do it again, but if you are tired and in a hurry, it would be a good way to get into town quick.

Appalachian Tater
02-20-2008, 16:37
It's more of a bike path than a trail, like the C & O Canal towpath.

Almost There
02-20-2008, 16:59
The Creeper has better scenery and camping along it instead fo the AT, going SOBO, just stay on it when you come off the AT just before a railroad trestle bridge, take it all the way into Damascus. Blue Blaze it, come on, ya' know ya' wanna.

gungho
02-20-2008, 17:02
The Creeper has better scenery and camping along it instead fo the AT, going SOBO, just stay on it when you come off the AT just before a railroad trestle bridge, take it all the way into Damascus. Blue Blaze it, come on, ya' know ya' wanna.

That is a beautiful section,Roots and myself are thinking about making that section our Daughters 1st backpacking adventure.

Puppy
02-20-2008, 17:25
You can always rent bikes and get a ride to the top from many places in Damascus....then you ride bike (can coast most of the way) back down to Damascus and give the bike back. Very fun if you have a half day or so.

gungho
02-20-2008, 17:37
You can always rent bikes and get a ride to the top from many places in Damascus....then you ride bike (can coast most of the way) back down to Damascus and give the bike back. Very fun if you have a half day or so.

That is a beautiful bike ride,we have done it several times.:)

D'Artagnan
02-20-2008, 17:55

I agree. I've done the bit from Grayson Highlands to Damascus a few times and I prefer the Creeper SOBO vs. jumping back on the AT.

bredler
02-20-2008, 18:15
I looked at some pictures and it looks really nice, although almost all of the pictures are at bridges. What's the surface like? If it's paved then I don't want it, I hate the feeling of pavement with a pack on.

calling L. Wolf: you live in the area and have probably done both the AT and creeper in that section a few times, what's your take?

Belew
02-20-2008, 18:16
I wanted to incorporate the creeper trail into Damascus in my SOBO section hike in may, has anyone done this/does anyone reccomend this?

How much of it can you hike easily starting north of it on the AT with intentions to continue south on the AT into the carolinas?

You'll run into the creeper about 9 or 10 miles north of Damascus. That's the route we took last time I hiked through there. We got tired of walking by the time we got to Taylors Valley and caught a ride not far past there.
When you get to Damascus the 2 trails split up again.

Almost There
02-20-2008, 18:28
It's not paved, but it has a crushed surface, easy on the feet, as I had a toe problem at the time I we hiked it into Damascus. The AT just parallels it for most of the way going up and down in the trees. Sometimes as has been discussed trail planners think up and down is better...but Blue Blazers know better!!!

Lilred
02-20-2008, 18:42
I hiked nobo out of Damascus on the creeper and loved the hike. Boring is not the word I would use to describe this trail. It has a lot of history, some great trestle bridges and is a very easy, leisurely stroll. Going southbound would be a breeze. You won't be missing anything on the AT if you blue blaze the creeper.

hammock engineer
02-20-2008, 20:10
That's what I did this year. It was awesome. A nice change for a little bit. I wouldn't do a long hike on it, but it is a nice change in pace. It it wasn't December there would have been a lot of swimming, people on weekends, and snack places open.

The AT joins the AT just south of the Lost Mountain shelter or whatever is there. It breaks off and rejoins it and follows the creeper into Damascus.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2008, 20:50
I looked at some pictures and it looks really nice, although almost all of the pictures are at bridges. What's the surface like? If it's paved then I don't want it, I hate the feeling of pavement with a pack on.

calling L. Wolf: you live in the area and have probably done both the AT and creeper in that section a few times, what's your take?

no brainer. creeper trail for sure

Tennessee Viking
02-20-2008, 23:25
The Creeper does have some nice waterside trail. But I find it more interesting as a walking stroll and biking path.

The AT only follows for a short section in Damascus, then travels above it around Feathercamp to near Taylors Valley.

You would have better scenary taking the AT to Whitetop, Elk Gardens, Graysons, and Lost Mtn.

sloopjonboswell
02-20-2008, 23:38
i hiked north on the creeper trail three times last year instead of taking the AT. look out for bikes, but like everybody said- great swimming, great camping. i dont regret it a bit, except that we camped on top of poop by accident one night, bikers poop too.

D'Artagnan
02-21-2008, 09:51
Plus, when it's hot on the trail, the Creeper seems a lot cooler. I guess because of its proximity to the water. And that little diner in Taylor's Valley is AWESOME. (The one near the caboose, if my memory is correct.)

Lone Wolf
02-21-2008, 09:53
Plus, when it's hot on the trail, the Creeper seems a lot cooler. I guess because of its proximity to the water. And that little diner in Taylor's Valley is AWESOME. (The one near the caboose, if my memory is correct.)

yup. just before the caboose

CaseyB
02-21-2008, 10:14
You would have better scenary taking the AT to Whitetop, Elk Gardens, Graysons, and Lost Mtn.

You don't miss any of that by taking the Creeper. The northernmost AT-Creeper intersection is at Creek Juction (10 miles by Creeper out of D-town, long, high trestle over creek & old gravel road).
There are three easy places to get from AT-Creeper or vise-versa.
Coming northbound AT out of town:

1) Don't go left at the steps, walk to Straight Branch parking lot (4 miles) and then about 1/4 mile past that lot the AT is running parallel to Creeper about 50 yards to your left.
2) Keep walking to Taylor's Valley, 2 miles past above parking lot. When you see the 1st house in the distance take the little connector (1/4 mile long)to your left, leads you to the bottom of the switchbacks going up to Saunders shelter. The diner LW mentioned would be on up the Creeper a litle ways, there are signs.
3)Described above, where the AT & Creeper run together to get you over the creek.

After that, the Creeper bears SE and heads for Whitetop Gap, and the AT goes more or less E towards Whitetop Mtn., Grayson, et.

Skyline
02-21-2008, 10:39
Both routes are good.

The AT is, well, the AT. If you're trying to do all of the AT, you're going to want to do that. The section from about Creek Junction to Damascus has the same type of trail tread, ascents, descents, etc. that most of the 2175 +/- miles have. It has a few places to camp and Saunders Shelter as well.

If doing the entire AT is not important to you, the Creeper makes a nice alternative. It's a different type of hike--very slightly downhill going into Damascus from the north on a wide cinder trail. You'll be sharing it with lots of bicyclists and on most days some horses (watch your step). There are over a dozen former railroad trestles that you walk over on the Creeper in this section, which span the creek. It is beautiful in places, but can get monotonous. There are a few places along the Creeper that make nice campsites tho you won't be hidden from the other hikers/bikers/horsefolks in most of them if solitude is something you seek.

One thing to remember about the Creeper on a hot, sunny day is that there are long stretches with little or no tree leaf canopy. That can be miserable. Personally, I'd rather do the climbs on the AT under leaf canopy than do the Creeper on a hot, sunny, muggy day. But if it's not so hot, and somewhat overcast, the Creeper is my choice. YMMV.

The Creeper also has at least one restaurant in Taylors Valley in the middle of the section between Creek Junction and Damascus. A great place to take a break with seating inside and outside under cover. Last time I was there a second restaurant was being built further north. Does anyone know if it's operating?