PDA

View Full Version : El Camino de Santiago

highway
01-10-2004, 12:37
I guess no discussion of long Trails can be complete without including what can arguably be considered the FIRST long trail; the one started back in Europe in the 9th century AD and continues on to this very day. At its inception it was probably quite similar to what an AT hike is like now, walking along a dirt and rocky footpath, carrying all your traveling possessions either on your back or in your arms and only occasionally passing through a town for re-supply or handouts. The traveling conditions and conveyances are different and more diverse today, but I suspect that, in numbers, there may still be as many traveling on those “trails” toward Santiago as we now have on the AT, which is still in its infancy, by comparison.

Anyway, this trail, the Pilgrimage to Santiago, began over a thousand years ago and slowly developed in many countries of Europe as a religious Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, the Church of St. James the Apostle, located in my wife’s province of Galicia in the NW corner of Spain. Remember that when this Pilgrimage was begun, Santiago de Compostela was the principal, if not only, repository for Christianity and served to keep the Faith alive during the depths of the Dark Ages. The people who traveled there did so as an affirmation of Faith. Some still do.

The tradition continues on today but is now done more “conveniently”. I would like to walk it one day, starting at the French Pyrenees and walking to Santiago, where, when one finally arrives, can have some of the best tasting and most diverse seafood in the world, caught from those cold waters to the north & west. The area is also famous for that, too :D

If you have an interest, here are a few sites describing it or you can Google "Camino de santiago" for hundreds more

http://www.gosantiago2004.com/santiago-pilgrimage-history.html

http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/santiago/iagohome.html

highway
07-21-2004, 10:16
Has anyone done this trail?

The more I research it, the more interesting it becomes and the more I want to do it someday. Here is a short-version introduction to it from a book I obtained from Amazon.com by B. davies & B. Cole, Pili Pala Press, Vancouver, BC, Canada, entitled "Walking the Camino de Santiago"

"The Camino de santiago he Way of St. James) is a glorious 900 km amble across the north of Spin, following the ancient pilgrimage route west to the magnificent cathedral at Santiago de Compostela. Tenth-century pilgrims braved bandits and wolves in their quest to revere the bones of St. James, entombed in a silver casket inthe cathedral. Ancient star-gazing Celts went this way too, following the Milky Way west towards the setting sun and the solar temple of Ara Solis at Finis Terrae, the end of the earth."

"Today, pilgrims walk to Santiago and finisterre for many reasons. For some, making a pilmagrimage to the Holy City is a lifelong dream borne out of religious faith. Others seek a break from daily routines or want to get back to a simpler way of living, and some want to immerse themselves in Spanish history and culture. You needn't be a hard-core hiker to walk to santiago, as the trails are well-maintained and ubiquitous yellow arrows make them easy to follow and the journey is made made easier and more sociable by a centuries-old infrastructure of albergues (pilgrim hostels)."

"This guide leads you step-by-step along the camino frances, from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port in the foothills of the French Pyrenees to Santiago de Compostela and on to Finisterre. On the way, you'll pass through a multutude of Spains. You'll se gorgeous Romanesque churches decorated with grotesque gargoyles and elaborate frescoes, ethereal Gothic cathedrals with airy spires and vast interiors, and tiny ermitas (hermitages) tucked into cliff faces...."

It goes on, but what a trail description it is. The 900 km is about 540 miles and can be done in about 5-6 weeks. One will need a sleeping bag and perhaps a light tent or bivy but most nights will be spent in the very cheap hostals along the route and food obtained in the quaint little villages the trail passes through daily so the heavy burden of food is removed from your pack. You just need snacks you will purchase each day, like Manchego cheese, Chorizo sausages, to go along with your fresh, delicious, fresh-baked Spanish bread. And, you want be alone. In the Holy year 1999 (when July 25th falls upon a Sunday) 150,000 made the trek. This year-another holy year-even more are expected to have done it.

Maybe one day........ :)

highway
03-03-2006, 16:56
I finally did it!
Started early October, finished mid November 2005!
The most fascinating trip I have ever done!
I did it in shorts & sandals

JoeHiker
03-06-2006, 16:21
I will be biking, not hiking this trail, for two weeks this may.

highway
03-06-2006, 17:09
I think you may have less rain in May. I walked through snowy slush over O cebreiro and was really cold for a few days. Otherwise an outstanding experience. If I can help let me know.
Other source for info on the trip is the forum at:

http://www.caminosantiago.com/web_ingles/foroperegrinos.htm

Good luck!:) :)