PDA

View Full Version : Convincing a Mother?

bredler
02-20-2008, 18:20
Does anyone have tips for convinving a worried mother that an 18y/o male in good shape with good gear and common sense will be fine for three days in the shenandoahs?

I'm gonna be home from school in a couple weeks, but all my friends are going to be out of town (different spring breaks) so I'm going to go solo.

The problem is that my mother is prone to worry. She says that I really shouldn't go unless I have another person at least. The only problem with this is that her or my father would be my ride, since all my friends are out of town that week...I have to convince her.

taildragger
02-20-2008, 18:29
I think I'd just tell them that I've been living on my own for x-months.

If that doesn't work, show her the alcohol related fatalities amongst college freshman and tell her that you're safer on the trail than with friends at an apt. (actually, don't tell her this...)

If that doesn't work, you could try to get a ride with or hookup with someone from this site, I know that would probably worry her more, but if you're gonna make em stop worrying you gotta get out there and show that they have no reason to worry.

What worked for me was telling my mom that I've done a lot of outdoor activities and that hiking was far less dangerous than me four wheeling (which she was fine with till I rolled my jeep end over end over :eek:)

Don't know how your dad will react. Mine would have actually preferred me going solo, he was worried that I'd have to carry my hippie ass eagle scout friend out of the woods :D

take-a-knee
02-20-2008, 18:29
Does anyone have tips for convinving a worried mother that an 18y/o male in good shape with good gear and common sense will be fine for three days in the shenandoahs?

I'm gonna be home from school in a couple weeks, but all my friends are going to be out of town (different spring breaks) so I'm going to go solo.

The problem is that my mother is prone to worry. She says that I really shouldn't go unless I have another person at least. The only problem with this is that her or my father would be my ride, since all my friends are out of town that week...I have to convince her.

Tell her you will join the Marines if she gives you anymore crap about it.

taildragger
02-20-2008, 18:32

Why not the French Foreign Legion, now she has to worry about you hanging out with French women (assuming that you live long enough to)

aaroniguana
02-20-2008, 18:33

LOL I doubt anyone will give you a better idea. Bravo!

wrongway_08
02-20-2008, 18:36
Mine is a big time worry wart also. Just tell her you'll call every now and then...... now, start your hike.

She will keep sayn small things that'll make you feel kinda bad (outta concern for your well being), just get her involved in your plans, let her help some. Then just go do it like planned.

WAIT......I thought you were thru-hiking,3 day trip?................., just go.... she'll be fine.

Hertz rental car.

88BlueGT
02-20-2008, 18:58
I dont know how Hertz is in other states but in NJ I believe you have to be 24 anywhere to get a rental car (I thought anyway), or maybe it was 21? Whatever...

Just tell her to make sure dinners ready and you'll be back whenever you feel like it. She'll understand :)

ScottP
02-20-2008, 19:00
Tell her you plan to hitch to the trail if she is busy when you need a ride

Rambler
02-20-2008, 19:07
Point out to her that the Skyline Drive passes very close to the trail and can even be seen from the trail at several points. It is rare not to see people along the AT.

clured
02-20-2008, 19:09
Don't go begging at her; that'll just make it seem like she has a point. Be astonished and indignant, because you should be. What's going to happen in the woods? Nothing.

Hooch
02-20-2008, 19:12
Tell her you will join the Marines if she gives you anymore crap about it.Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

Appalachian Tater
02-20-2008, 19:13
Tell her you're going to join the Marines, plus you're going to buy a motorcycle with your first paycheck.

Or you can just tell her that although you are going by yourself, there will be a lot of other people on the trail, and the trails frequently cross the road. If you have a cell phone, maybe that will make her feel better, too.

WalkingStick75
02-20-2008, 19:15
I was 18 when I started a thru... that trip ended with a dislocated ankle, finally finished in 2007!

Mom worried a lot but she got use to it. After my ankle healed I joined the Air Force. I think she would have preferred that I went hiking again. But even in my 30's she liked it better when I hiked with somebody else.

Enjoy your hike, call home frequently until she gets use to things.

The Weasel
02-20-2008, 19:25

As a parent myself, I suggest 4 or 5 things:

(1) Show her a map of Shenandoah National Park, and your proposed route, with scenic features. Help her understand that it's a special and exciting place that is worth exploring, so she sees some of where you will be. You can augment it with pictures of that route from Google Images or possibly YouTube. Once she is a little familiar with it, she'll feel better.

(2) Tour her on the Shenandoah National Park webpage, so she understands that it's a fairly heavily used area, not "Alaskan Wilderness" in character, with Rangers, access to phones/roads in emergencies, and more. Seeing that it is developed, even in the outback, will help her realize you're not away from help if needed.

(3) Demonstrate some of your equipment for her, so she sees you're not a total doofus. Set up the tent, cook her some soup on your stove, show her your hiking shoes and how to take care of a blister and a few things. Those will demonstrate her confidence that you have things you need.

(4) Ask her advice about what to do, and take some of it (and do NOT tell her she's wrong about the rest). She'll have some good thoughts, and by asking, you're telling her that you understand her concern, and also you're dealing with the "My baby is growing up and doesn't need me!!!!!!" fears she is subconsciously expressing, by showing her you still DO need her.

(5) Avoid any of it being a confrontation or even disagreement. When she says something you don't agree with, say, "Thanks, Mom. That's a good idea." If she asks if you'll do something that you absolutely, positively, totally can't do, don't tell her that. If she insists, tell her you really value her opinion, but you need to make some of these decisions on your own. By avoiding the confrontational aspect, you show her you love her and let her 'act out' a little.

Good luck. It's a great place to hike.

The Weasel

bredler
02-20-2008, 19:44
As a parent myself, I suggest 4 or 5 things:

(1) Good call
(2) Seeing that it is developed, even in the outback, will help her realize you're not away from help if needed. Very good call, that's really what she's worried about.

(3) Demonstrate some of your equipment for her, so she sees you're not a total doofus. Set up the tent, cook her some soup on your stove, show her your hiking shoes and how to take care of a blister and a few things. For this part I'll just have to recount all that she's helped me with already. I have a knack for sharing what I know, so she's heard it all and helped set up the hammock/seen me cook on my alcohol stove, seen my gearlist, she should be cool with this.

(4) Yet another good call.

(5) Avoid any of it being a confrontation or even disagreement. Best advice.

Good luck. It's a great place to hike.

The Weasel

You've got some great advice, thanks a bunch.

Mine is a big time worry wart also. Just tell her you'll call every now and then...... now, start your hike.

WAIT......I thought you were thru-hiking,3 day trip?................., just go.... she'll be fine. :rolleyes: yeah I know...she's cool with a two week trip with a buddy, but not a three day by myself...puzzling.

wrongway_08
02-20-2008, 20:13
:rolleyes: yeah I know...she's cool with a two week trip with a buddy, but not a three day by myself...puzzling

Go figure, Moms, gotta love cause you'll never figure them out. Hmmmm..... this must be a rule for all women, it applies to them all..... :)

take-a-knee
02-20-2008, 20:18
Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

That's why I suggested it, though the Rangers would be even better.:D

Gaiter
02-20-2008, 20:35
when i first talked about hiking alone w/ my mom, she was freaked out, then i pointed out that i was working in jersey and nyc, the trail would be alot safer than any city/rural area, going on the trail is alot safer than going some populated place to get party for your entire break

that and do your research, and talk about hiking non-stop prove your knowledge and that you are prepared

berninbush
02-20-2008, 20:42
I'll second Weasel's advice, and add to it.

For years my mom begged me not to camp, even in a campground, by myself. Her reasoning was "bad things happen to women in state parks." Of course it's rare for anything bad to happen in a state park, but unfortunately, for that very reason it makes big headlines when something does. Unfamiliar situations are always perceived as more dangerous than familiar ones, even when the actual risk is less.

My mom is semi-ok now with the fact that I do hike and camp alone. (I'm sure she still worries, but she tells me "Have fun and be careful.") I've done all I can to allay her fears by addressing specific concerns with undeniable logic and reassurance. It might help if you ask your mom what, specifically, she's afraid of. This can be a better approach than throwing "blanket assurances" at her... because you might actually inspire her to worry about something she hadn't thought of before!

Here's how I would answer some of the most common concerns:

1. "Someone will attack you/ rob you/ beat you up while you sleep."

Though not impossible, this is highly unlikely. In a campground, there is security and other campers. People don't usually have a lot of valuables in a tent (other than perhaps their gear). A thief would rather break into a house where there's better stuff to steal. Insane/ evil people could try, but there are probably lots of other campers within earshot (more so than in a house). If you are stealth camping off a trail, nobody can even find you... it doesn't get much safer than that.

2. "Someone will attack you on the trail." (perhaps with the Hilton incidents in mind).

This is so rare that it made national headlines when it did happen. That guy is in jail, and there's not likely to be another one. On the other hand, people get mugged in the city and on college campuses all the time and no one even hears much about it. The woods is safer. It also helps to know that the trail is full of responsible, helpful people who look out for one another.

3. "You'll get hurt somehow and unable to get help."

Again, the trails are full of helpful fellow-hikers. You can also talk about how you'd handle various emergencies. And this is where having a cell phone could really help put her mind at ease, if you know you can get reception most places. In fact, you could offer to check in with her once per day if this will make her feel better. Might be worth it for her peace of mind.

4. "You'll be hurt by a bear or other wild animal."

Find some statistics on how rare this is. Explain that if you don't feed bears and hang food away from your tent, the possibility of injury is very very remote.

Parents are parents no matter how old you are. And people who've never hiked alone have a hard time evaluating the level of risk. Telling your mom she's being "ridiculous" isn't going to help... educating her about what you're doing, and answering her fears, will. The bottom line is, hiking alone does present a certain level of risk, but it's less than most people think. She'll be happier when she understands that.

shelterbuilder
02-20-2008, 20:42
bredler, you've got to realize that, as your MOTHER, she will NEVER stop worrying about you - mine never did, until we lost her in the mists of
Alzheimer's. Be glad for this - yes, it can seem annoying at times, but she loves you.

Involve her in the planning whenever possible. If you're determined to go, make your plans so that you DON'T depend on her for your out-bound transportation (in-bound transportation is fine - you're done with the hike at that point, and you've included her in the hike in that way). Ask for her advice on little things (if you haven't already made up your mind on those little things). Take lots of pictures to show her when you get back. Got a cell phone? Call her every night - she'll love knowing that you're okay, and how the day went.

You'll figure it out!!! Have fun.

Lost My Mind
02-20-2008, 21:16
I was/am one of "those" mothers! My son starts his thru in 19 days. I know this because he has been doing the countdown for 45 days now!

My main concern was not that he was planning to hike for 5-6 months, but that he was doing it alone. I was also concerned about food, bad weather, bears, crazy people... sound familar?

The first thing my son did was get me out for a few weekends camping with him, helping me get my own hammock set up, picking out my gear, etc. Big mistake - I've been bitten by the bug!

One of the best things he did to convience me this was "safe" was introduce me to this web site and Hammock Forums. Seeing the 2008 thru list let me know that he most definitely would not be alone. He showed me some threads about mail drops, hostels, resupply areas, etc made me realize that food/water were not going to be issues.

The fact that he calls out hammocks Bear Tacos and Bear Burittos did not instill and lot of comfort on the bear issue, but hey - that is funny.

As far as crazies on the trail - they're everywhere and I know I can't always protect my kids from the world no matter how much I want to. But frequenting this site has shown me that there are a lot of good folks slong the trail, and I have no doubt if my son runs into any problems, these folks would just be a phone call away. (The names are kinda scary, but I really think they're harmless;))

I feel very confident that he was already well prepared for this adventure, and that the input from folks on this site and HF have served well to reinforce the things he was already planning, as well as new ideas and things to consider. But the bottom line is, he was the one who had to make me comfortable with all of this.

So, keep Mom included, show her the maps, let her help plan, and when you decide to hike, it will become her hike, too.:D

shelterbuilder
02-20-2008, 21:25
I was/am one of "those" mothers! My son starts his thru in 19 days. I know this because he has been doing the countdown for 45 days now!

My main concern was not that he was planning to hike for 5-6 months, but that he was doing it alone. I was also concerned about food, bad weather, bears, crazy people... sound familar?

The first thing my son did was get me out for a few weekends camping with him, helping me get my own hammock set up, picking out my gear, etc. Big mistake - I've been bitten by the bug!

One of the best things he did to convience me this was "safe" was introduce me to this web site and Hammock Forums. Seeing the 2008 thru list let me know that he most definitely would not be alone. He showed me some threads about mail drops, hostels, resupply areas, etc made me realize that food/water were not going to be issues.

The fact that he calls out hammocks Bear Tacos and Bear Burittos did not instill and lot of comfort on the bear issue, but hey - that is funny.

As far as crazies on the trail - they're everywhere and I know I can't always protect my kids from the world no matter how much I want to. But frequenting this site has shown me that there are a lot of good folks slong the trail, and I have no doubt if my son runs into any problems, these folks would just be a phone call away. (The names are kinda scary, but I really think they're harmless;))

I feel very confident that he was already well prepared for this adventure, and that the input from folks on this site and HF have served well to reinforce the things he was already planning, as well as new ideas and things to consider. But the bottom line is, he was the one who had to make me comfortable with all of this.

So, keep Mom included, show her the maps, let her help plan, and when you decide to hike, it will become her hike, too.:D

LMM - Glad to hear from a Mom - I, too, had taken my Mom out on some overnights and 3 day trips in my younger days. She never stopped worrying, but she understood what the routines were, and what the hiking was like, and how the equipment worked, and she eventually changed from "mindless worry" to worrying about specific, "fixable" things. And I felt better knowing that she wasn't frantic with worry!

MtnBikerGuy
02-20-2008, 22:21
Mom's start worrying about their children from birth. It doesn't end. I am 43 and my mother still worries about me when I hike. She always tells me to drive safe and tells me to eat more veggies. Isn't it great to have a mothers love!

Even though she will worry about you, she will be proud of you as you spread your wings. Share your picture and journal and make her part of your experience. It will make her feel a little bit better each time afterwards.

bredler
02-20-2008, 23:37
Just talked to her on the phone, she's still about 60% opposed, but my dad is warily accepting. I'll talk to her more and in person and I think she'll be okay with it.

Thanks guys,
bred

Tennessee Viking
02-21-2008, 00:50
Tell her you will carry a cell phone

Tell her SNP is pretty touristee. Hard to not to be around people.

Or convince her to go hiking with you. If she is not the hiking type, she will drop off trail fast.

Mrs Baggins
02-21-2008, 07:05
I'm 52 and my mom still worries about me on the trail. Both of my parents are the gloom and doom types - everything will kill you so you shouldn't do anything. My way of dealing with it (since I was about 16) is to nod, smile, and do it anyway. Because of their life long fear and negativity I've always made a real effort to never do that to my own kids who are now adults. When they tell me about doing something that is daring or adventurous I just cheer them on and tell them to have a great time! My parents hate that. :mad: They think I should have kept them "leashed" and out of "danger" all this time.

Hooch
02-21-2008, 09:01
That's why I suggested it, though the Rangers would be even better.:DSure, if he wanted to take the easy way out. :D Seriously, we used to train with the Rangers at Hunter AAF in Savannah once in a while. Hardcore guys, much respect for them. Of course, if he wanted to get really serious about it there's always Air Force Pararescue. :eek:

Thoughtful Owl
02-21-2008, 09:50
There has been a lot of good advise given here and you would be wise to use some of it.

I can't forget the first time I went solo, mom had worried herself sick. She knew I could take care of myself and all, (after all I was her Eagle Scout son) but... None the less I told her I respected her and understood her fears, but still this was something I had to do for myself and off I went. To this day my mother still worries about me and exspecially when she knows I am off to the woods.

It's a mom thing...once a mom always a mom...they love you and are going to worry about you no matter what. Just let her know you love and respect her too.

TO

unl1988
02-21-2008, 10:01
I agree with shelter builder and the weasel, the Shenandoahs are pretty tame, once you pull out the map and show her where your hiking, how close it is to civilization and how well set up the state park is, she will get more comfortable. Let her know that there will be several folks out on that part of the trail, and you won't be out in the middle of no-where. Talk her up about the ridge runners and maybe try to make contact with one or two of the folks that hike that area regularly.

If you incorporate her into the planning "hey mom, what do you think I should have for supper on day 2?" or, "Mah, can you drop me off and maybe pick me up?" she will be part of the plan and co-opted to your scheme.

Promising to call her every night to tell her your OK and that you are having a blast, should work, too.

Moms are moms.

taildragger
02-21-2008, 10:18
I'm 52 and my mom still worries about me on the trail. Both of my parents are the gloom and doom types - everything will kill you so you shouldn't do anything. My way of dealing with it (since I was about 16) is to nod, smile, and do it anyway.

I can really relate to this, I just talked to my parents last night and told them that I was going hiking for a week in the Catalina's in Arizona for a psuedo shakedown. My dad immediately inquired as to whether or not I was gonna take the pistol with me for protection since there are illegal immigrants in Mexico. Fortunately he was easily convinced that since the area should see a fair amount of day hikers that we should be safe. That, and I just don't think that people immigrating to this country would take the higher more mountainous routes that I want to take.

Also, he said all of this while he is on a medical mission trip in the Yucatan :-?

Lellers
02-21-2008, 10:32
I'm 46 and just about everyone I know, non-hikers that is, worries when I'm on a trail somewhere. Tell your mom that as an 18-year-old girl I hiked the length of SNP solo. And back then, there were dinosaurs on the trail.

As a mother, I would say that you have two choices, and you can maybe combine bits of both ... try to educate your mother, all the while showing her how responsible, knowledgeable and prepared you are. Show her your resources, maps, trail guides, the people on WB. Let her see how close to the road you'll be in SNP and how may opportunities you'll have to come out of the woods and be in civilization at the waysides, campgrounds and lodges. Then, if she won't give you a ride, it shouldn't be hard to get a ride down there with someone else. The fact of the matter is, you're 18. My kids are over 18 now, and that last rip of the apron strings right around age 18 was a tough one for me, too. Moms worry. And often we worry needlessly. But if we didn't worry, it would mean we didn't care. And that would be really lousy.

So, if you show your mother that you are concerned that she is worried that will go a long way. That's not to say that you agree with her reasons for worrying, just that you, as her son would never want to cause her needless worry. And somewhere along the trail, take a picture of yourself for her, or press a tiny green leaf in your trail guide for her. When you return, tell her that you were thinking about her along the trail and wanted to bring a bit of it back for her. Your mom will see you in a different light.

Enjoy your trip!

Catnip
02-21-2008, 18:48
As the mom of an 18yo son, my 2nd child, it might help to remind her that your mama didn't raise no dummies. Well, say it in a light, humorous and loving way. Then share some of the research you've done with her, and plans you've made for the more common "what-ifs" that are possible.

I'm impressed when my kids give me an overview of whatever project they want help or permission or something for. In fact, I LOL at a comment above, something about buying a motorcycle. Because we just went through that whole decision-making process a couple months ago and now my 18yo son has a motorcycle, with my cautious permission.

But hey, we're moms from before the time you're born. We'll always worry. Just keep the respect and communication open.

The Weasel
02-21-2008, 19:26
As the mom of an 18yo son, my 2nd child, it might help to remind her that your mama didn't raise no dummies.

But what if that's exactly what she's afraid of? Maybe, in her heart of hearts, she's convinced that he's dumber than a box of rocks and has all the talent of stale beer. Maybe she's terrified that he has the judgment of a two-stroke engine coupled with the physical abilities of last week's dishwater? Possibly she believes that he is only marginally more prudent than the Black Knight and fears for his limbs in some unmentionable confrontation. In short, she knows him better than do we, and we must be careful not to insult someone who has known him all his life, plus nine months.

Depressing though it might be to contemplate, not every mom thinks her kid is Einstein, and that includes Bertie's mom, who, by all accounts, was convinced that he would never be able to count to twenty with his shoes on. Some moms are dead out wrong, of course, but who are we to tell a mother that she's wrong about her son?

[Note: On the assumption that he has more brains/talent/judgment than this, I gave some useful suggestions earlier. I hope, but do not assume, that his mom is wrong about him, though.]

In short, she knows him better than do we, and we must be careful not to insult someone who has known him all his life, plus nine months.

Perhaps it will help if he gives her this observation, so that she can nod and say, "Yes, this wise man known only to me as The Weasel has captured precisely my terror at letting my babbling dullard of a sniveling son go off on a Friday-Sunday walk in the park! Truly, he knows Momdom, and respects me more than does my babbling, etc. son!"

Please give her my regards, if you do.

TW

BarFight
02-22-2008, 12:31
Two years ago my younger brother hiked the long trail solo. He was nineteen. My parents are good about this sort of thing, but they still worry. They lobbied hard for the Long Trail, being less thrilled about his other plan-hitchiking to Alaska and back.

Appalachian Tater
02-22-2008, 12:35
But what if that's exactly what she's afraid of? Maybe, in her heart of hearts, she's convinced that he's dumber than a box of rocks and has all the talent of stale beer. Maybe she's terrified that he has the judgment of a two-stroke engine coupled with the physical abilities of last week's dishwater? Possibly she believes that he is only marginally more prudent than the Black Knight and fears for his limbs in some unmentionable confrontation. In short, she knows him better than do we, and we must be careful not to insult someone who has known him all his life, plus nine months.

Depressing though it might be to contemplate, not every mom thinks her kid is Einstein, and that includes Bertie's mom, who, by all accounts, was convinced that he would never be able to count to twenty with his shoes on. Some moms are dead out wrong, of course, but who are we to tell a mother that she's wrong about her son?

[Note: On the assumption that he has more brains/talent/judgment than this, I gave some useful suggestions earlier. I hope, but do not assume, that his mom is wrong about him, though.]

In short, she knows him better than do we, and we must be careful not to insult someone who has known him all his life, plus nine months.

Perhaps it will help if he gives her this observation, so that she can nod and say, "Yes, this wise man known only to me as The Weasel has captured precisely my terror at letting my babbling dullard of a sniveling son go off on a Friday-Sunday walk in the park! Truly, he knows Momdom, and respects me more than does my babbling, etc. son!"

TW

All children are above average.

Ashman
02-22-2008, 13:36
All children are above average.
Kinda like these kids?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T1LIrzsgqA

envirodiver
02-22-2008, 13:42
Always look on the bright side of life

peter_pan
02-22-2008, 15:24
You'll not be alone..... Spring weekends have folks on every mile of the SNP....You will end up hiking with someone.... or between groups.... and, the next goup will be along in an hour or two.

Pan

Paul Bunyan
02-22-2008, 15:34
Hey, don't worry about convincing your parents abut it. Shendoah is a really nice park, it's one of the safest ones i know. When you going?

bredler
02-22-2008, 19:48
Hey, don't worry about convincing your parents abut it. Shendoah is a really nice park, it's one of the safest ones i know. When you going?

hey, you don't have to convince me that SNP is great and safe, I've hiked it plenty. My mom just worries.

2nd or 3rd week in march.

bredler
02-22-2008, 19:49
You'll not be alone..... Spring weekends have folks on every mile of the SNP....You will end up hiking with someone.... or between groups.... and, the next goup will be along in an hour or two.

Pan

I'm going in the week for sure. I'll be home from spring break so no work or classes.

bredler
02-22-2008, 19:58

TW

Thanks again for your advice earlier.

That said, if you hadn't gone into such detail this could have been humorous; and with THAT said...you're a dick.

The Weasel
02-22-2008, 20:07
Bred, if you're going to enjoy backpacking, you might want to develop a thicker skin. It helps to prevent you from feeling chafed.

But if I offended, I'm sorry. Smile; life is short, trails are long.

TW

mudhead
02-22-2008, 20:11
Tell her you plan to hitch to the trail if she is busy when you need a ride
Ding. Ding. DING! We have a winner. Give her a hug, and tell her you love her.

Thanks again for your advice earlier.

That said, if you hadn't gone into such detail this could have been humorous; and with THAT said...you're a dick.

Just gotta learn to scroll fast.

bredler
02-22-2008, 20:11
Sorry about the above post...
...that was meant in the most non-angry way possible, and technically since you don't know me or my mom what you said is valid (sort of). It was all just a bit prickly; "dumber than a box of rocks and has all the talent of stale beer," "the judgment of a two-stroke engine coupled with the physical abilities of last week's dishwater," "only marginally more prudent than the Black Knight and fears for his limbs in some unmentionable confrontation," "he would never be able to count to twenty with his shoes on," and this:

That is just flat out insulting. I'm sorry to inform you that she will likely not hear any mention of you. Your ego, no doubt, will sorely lament this news.

Moderators, again I am sorry about the previous post.

bfitz
02-22-2008, 21:08
Sorry about the above post...
...that was meant in the most non-angry way possible, and technically since you don't know me or my mom what you said is valid (sort of). It was all just a bit prickly; "dumber than a box of rocks and has all the talent of stale beer," "the judgment of a two-stroke engine coupled with the physical abilities of last week's dishwater," "only marginally more prudent than the Black Knight and fears for his limbs in some unmentionable confrontation," "he would never be able to count to twenty with his shoes on," and this:

That is just flat out insulting. I'm sorry to inform you that she will likely not hear any mention of you. Your ego, no doubt, will sorely lament this news.

Moderators, again I am sorry about the previous post.Welcome to Whiteblaze. :p

The Weasel
02-22-2008, 21:08
Bredler, I gave you good and sincere advice, and I hardly expected you to commend me to your mother for it. And then I ventured some humor, which, as to you, didn't work. I'm sorry about that, and I apologized. If you missed that, look back a few posts. If you want one again, here it is: I'm sorry.

My ego, by the way, can take the hit if you don't give my regards to your mother. But perhaps it would be good for you to learn to accept apologies, too. You want hers, I'm sure, as in, "You've showed me you were mature enough to hike by yourself." I hope you won't be churlish in accepting hers.

Enjoy the Shenandoah.

TW

bredler
02-22-2008, 21:26
My appologies. I get hot-headed quickly and cool down just a quickly. No harm no foul.

ScottP
02-22-2008, 22:31
Weasel--you made me laugh, a lot.

No Belay
02-23-2008, 12:47
Tell her that due to her concern for your well being that you've changed your mind and you've decided to hike with Edward Abbey. Take one of his great books with you, enjoy your hike and the book, and not feel guilty because you didn't lie to Mom.

wtmntcaretaker
02-23-2008, 15:28
forget your mom. mom's worry. get your dad to take you to the trail head. I am having similar problems with my mother so I can relate. if she is prone to worry there is nothing short of staying home that will make her not worry.

Wise Old Owl
02-23-2008, 16:27
bredler, you've got to realize that, as your MOTHER, she will NEVER stop worrying about you - mine never did, until we lost her in the mists of
Alzheimer's. Be glad for this - yes, it can seem annoying at times, but she loves you.

Call her every night - she'll love knowing that you're okay, and how the day went.

You'll figure it out!!! Have fun.

You will figure it out - everybody had some good ideas. I ran into more c**p with my mother-in-law than my wife worring.

Most important it sounds like you are going to Shanandoah during spring break. I have done that too, be prepared for colder temps and high winds. strangly it doesn't warm up till after April