PDA

View Full Version : Hanover Updates, 2008

Jack Tarlin
02-20-2008, 20:03
As most of you know, the 2008 Trail guidebooks have all recently come out. Each contains information that is not found in any other book. And each contains errors and ommissions. Those of you planning to visit or hike thru Hanover NH this year may wish to be aware of the following:

*Several businesses have closed their doors. This includes Woof and Hoof, a
designer pet store that had specialty dog foods and accessories

*The Subway on Lebanon Street (next to Ben and Jerry's) has closed but may
be opened under new owners by summertime

*The Foodstop store is now called "Irving" and is no longer open 24 hours. In
fact, it closes at midnight.

*The CVS Pharmacy is now open 24 hours, and has added to its food
selections.

*Stinson's on Allen St, still has the best beer and tobacco selection on the
Trail; also makes great sandwiches.

*The burrito store on Main St., formerly "The Wrap", is now called "Boloco"
and serves great food.

*Eastman Pharmacy on Main Street may be closed by summertime.

*Murphy's on the Green Restaurant on Main St., is up for sale, and may or
may not be open in summertime. If it closes, another restaurant will surely
occupy the same space.

*The Camera Shop of Hanover on Main St. has closed.

*There's a new bakery/cafe called Umpleby's, on East South St. by the
hardware store. It's friendly, but sort of pricy. best baked goods in town
and best coffee on the Trail is still at the Dirt Cowboy Cafe on Main St.
The bagel basement on Allen St. has recently changed owners and has
expanded its menu.

*Five Olde Nugget Alley Restaurant has been sold, but is still very welcoming
to hikers.

*Tigger's Tree House hostel, outside of town, will be open and is looking
forward to seeing lots of hikers.

*Hikers in need of footwear, outerwear, and small accessories can check out
Omer and Bob's Sporting Goods on Allen to next to EBA's. It's not mentioned
in all the guidebooks, but is a well run and very friendly little shop, and may
save you a visit to the "real" outfitters in West Lebanon.

*Your main Re-Supply option is still the Food Co-op at the North end of
town. It is still hellishly overpriced and extremely crowded between four
and six. Prudent shoppers will try and shop in West Lebanon if they can;
of the major supermarkets there, Price Chopper is probably better than
Shaw's, and in addition, is in the same mall as Wal-Mart, Borders Books, and
a Dollar Store. Both markets are on the bus line; remember that the bus
runs weekdays only.

Odds and ends: There were recurrent problems on the Dartmouth campus this year with hikers. Word to the wise: Do NOT crash out, or attempt to do laundry in any Dartmouth building unless specifically invited. Do NOT sleep in the DOC building; it is now patrolled and you may well get arrested. Do not drink either in the DOC building, on the Dartmouth Green, or anywhere on campus or in public.

Likewise, don't camp on the campus anywhere, or in the nearby cemetery.

One of the publishers of a 2008 Guidebook recently told me that they were informed of hikers having problems while staying at the "soccer field" campsite at the North end of town. I haven't heard of any problems there, and I know of dozens of folks who overnighted there this summer. As recently as yesterday, a Hanover police officer told me that the Department has no problem with folks camping there, provided they stay quiet (as there are houses nearby); they pack out their trash; and that local and state laws regarding drugs and alcohol are obeyed. Also, don't camp ON the soccer field itself unless you want a citation. There are good sites in the woods just to the left of the Trail, IMMEDIATELY after you enter the treeline past the soccer field.

Bits and Pieces: Ramunto's on East South St. still plans on giving out free slices to thru-hikers. Make sure you sign their register. The best time to hit town is Monday or Thursday; EBA's has an AYCE Pizza/salad bar deal on Mondays and an AYCE fajita bar on Thursday's. Also, their Sunday Brunch is pretty amazing.

That's all I can think of, will add more later.

A-Train
02-20-2008, 20:44
Too bad Murphy's on the Green maybe closed. I'd never heard of it till I was there briefly in December, for dinner. The food was decent, and the portions big. While examining that my dish seemed to be fried over about 3 different times (all ingredients) I deemed it a GREAT place for hikers to eat. Narrowly escaped a heart attack myself.

Also enjoyed a Maker's at the Canoe Club which is absolutely too swanky for any self-respecting Hiker Trash. Though, the bartender was rather entertaining.

Jack Tarlin
02-20-2008, 20:47
Note: Murphy's has NOT closed. It is merely up for sale, and may well continue as Murphy's under new ownership/management. In my opinion, by the way, the food is better, and cheaper, around the corner at 5-Olde.

Canoe Club is indeed swanky, but on the other hand they have $2 PBR's on tap, which is sorta unique in chi-chi Hanover.

Appalachian Tater
02-20-2008, 20:48
There is also a large, convenient public library with helpful librarians and plenty of internet access.

Jack Tarlin
02-20-2008, 20:54
Well, yeah, of course there is. Note to Tater: This is not meant to be a full description of what's available to hikers in Hanover. It is instead a list of updates, changes, or things that weren't mentioned in the 2008 Guidebooks.

In that the Howe Library has been in continuous operation since 108 years and is mentioned in all of the major Guidebooks, I didn't seee any need to mention it here on the "Hanover Updates" thread. But yeah, it's a great library, is extremely hiker friendly, and is a one minute walk from the Trail.

Slim aka Nancy
02-20-2008, 20:59
Thanks for the info. Jack. We have made a copy of this post and will add it to your re-supply information which we will take along on our thru-hike this year. You have always been very willing to help with any questions we, and I,m sure anyone else, has ever needed answers to. Hope to see you out on the trail somewhere this year. Bogey and Slim

Sleepy the Arab
02-21-2008, 01:18
That's all well and good, but what hours does the ferry run on the Connecticut River?

Am I still a purist if I ford it?

Appalachian Tater
02-21-2008, 01:57
Well, yeah, of course there is. Note to Tater: This is not meant to be a full description of what's available to hikers in Hanover. It is instead a list of updates, changes, or things that weren't mentioned in the 2008 Guidebooks.

In that the Howe Library has been in continuous operation since 108 years and is mentioned in all of the major Guidebooks, I didn't seee any need to mention it here on the "Hanover Updates" thread. But yeah, it's a great library, is extremely hiker friendly, and is a one minute walk from the Trail.Yeah, but it's one of the best libraries on the trail if not the best, so you ought to mention it. You mentioned the food co-op and the fact that the convenience store is now named Jimmy.

minnesotasmith
02-21-2008, 02:51
Do NOT order the AYCE pasta "specials". It's a scam they run. How it works is, you see AYCE on veal parmesan, say. Only after they bring you the first platter and you've had some do they tell you you don't get meat after the first time, just sauce and pasta.

The salad bar is still a good deal, though, and they have free internet for while you're waiting. The best time to go IMO is after the lunch crowd has thinned out, but before the higher dinner rates kick in. That way, your internet access is best.

warraghiyagey
02-21-2008, 02:58
Two years ago I tented in the back yard of the Z house with their permission. Is that technically on campus or is it frowned on??

Tinker
02-21-2008, 11:19
Thanks, Jack. Hanover is still my favorite New England trail town. So much to do and see. Nice laid back atmosphere AND (or maybe because of) a college. Young people are always interesting to talk to.
I try to take folks there just for the atmosphere (and to hike a few miles, if possible).

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2008, 14:11
There may be some frat houses or dorms that take hikers in (or let them tent), but this is on a day-by-day or selective basis. Hikers shouldn't expect this. If you get invited, you're lucky, but with every passing year, as there are more and more problems with hikers, damage to property, theft, rowdiness, etc., this happens less and less.

Oh, and I've eaten the EBA's specials many, many times. Never hasd a problem there. I'm sorry Smitty's one visit was an unhappy one.

Final note: The computers in the DOC building are available 24 hours a day, so there's no need to limit yourselves to the ones located in local restaurants.

warraghiyagey
02-21-2008, 20:51
Thanks for the info Jack.

MileMonster
04-23-2008, 16:08
I've heard that Omer & Bob's is moving to Lebanon. Not sure when. They never had a ton of stuff for hikers, but at least it was something - shoes, socks. Hanover Sports is still in town but that is more of a fly fishing shop. Now it looks like hikers will have to go to to the West Lebanon Eastern Mountain Sports for all hiking gear needs. If I see you, maybe I'll give you a ride.

- MM.

Mags
04-23-2008, 17:02
Canoe Club is indeed swanky, but on the other hand they have $2 PBR's on tap, which is sorta unique in chi-chi Hanover.

Ah..but it is the choice of "hipsters". I am sure Hanover may have their share of that?

http://tallahassee.com/legacy/special/blogs/dblackburn/2007/05/how-pabst-blue-ribbon-became-retro-cool.html

Cookerhiker
11-13-2008, 20:57
I'm in the Hanover area right now and just returned from dinner at Molly's Restaurant. (http://www.mollysrestaurant.com/) Large pizza selection and sufficient other entres make this a winner as far as I'm concerned. Drank a regional cider (Harpoon) with dinner. Skipped the desserts despite the temptation.

Great place for thruhikers or anyone for that matter.

Jack Tarlin
11-13-2008, 21:23
Sorry I missed you!

Yes, Molly's has been popular for years.

I see that this thread dates from last February. I'll be updating this thread early next year to reflect any changes/additions to the Hanover scene that you guys might need to know about it.

MKnight
12-06-2008, 23:04
I do not know where you get your information from? Eastmans Pharmacy will NOT be closed by summertime. You might want to stick with the facts and not rumors. My wife and I purchased the pharmacy in May 2005 and have been rebuilding it since. We are a growing company and have put the pride back in Eastmans! We are always glad to help anyone on the trail as they pass through Hanover with anything within our means to assist them! Thank you to anyone who has supported us!!! Mark Knight (603) 643-4112

CrumbSnatcher
12-06-2008, 23:12
thanks for the updates jack. i always like lou's diner the best in hanover, bear approved of the burgers. let me know about the ferry crossings when you find something out sleepy?

yappy
01-03-2009, 11:32
I had fantastic chinese food there.. some of the best I have ever had. I would go back just for some of that !

Screech
01-14-2009, 02:29
thanks for the updates jack. i always like lou's diner the best in hanover, bear approved of the burgers. let me know about the ferry crossings when you find something out sleepy?
there is no ferry

Jack Tarlin
01-14-2009, 15:03
Haven't been here awhile. Just so you know, in light of Post #18, I went down and talked to Mark Knight, the owner of Eastman's Pharmacy. First off, they're very much open, and they certainly expect to be during hiker season this year. I was obviously mis-informed (by several folks) about what was going on with the business, and I regret reporting rumors of its impending closing. Mr. Knight was very gracious about this and told me that there were apparently a lot of folks under this impression. In any case, they're open, they're very friendly, and they're looking forward to the 2009 hiker season. As well as being a full-service pharmacy and the best place in town to go for a prescription, they have all sorts of other stuff as well. Mr. Knight asked me what hikers were looking for from a drug store. In addition to first aid supplies, which of course they already have, I mentioned knee braces and bandages, and most important of all, foot care products, insoles, gel pads, etc. If anyone else can think of anything I can pass along to the folks at Eastman, please let me know.

Also, watch this space, as in a few weeks, I'll be doing a full Hanover update in regards to new places and businesses, changes in old ones, etc. I want to wait until all three major 2009 Trail guides come out so I can comment on, or make additions to each one of them.

Perhaps those of you who live in or near other Trail towns will do likewise.