PDA

View Full Version : Best all around pants?

timcar86
02-20-2008, 21:19
I'm looking at getting some good all-around pants to hike in. The weather will be anywhere between 40 and 80. I'm not looking to spend a lot. Any suggestions?

- yes, I've done a search...

mudhead
02-20-2008, 21:21
Do you need pants to protect your legs?

Else: Patagonia Baggies. Shorts.

FanaticFringer
02-20-2008, 21:24
Nylon shorts

warraghiyagey
02-20-2008, 21:25
Any that come with Angelina wearing them.

hopefulhiker
02-20-2008, 21:31
I'd go with the nylon shorts too.. For colder weather the full zip Marmot rain pants...

ScottP
02-20-2008, 21:48
kilt ............

Footslogger
02-20-2008, 21:53
Well ...I hike pretty much all year in shorts and when necessary I add a pair of long gaiters as lower leg covering.

That said, I do carry and wear long legged nylon pants around camp at night, in towns while I'm doing laundry and sometimes as an extra layer to sleep in.

The long pants I own are the old Sahara's from REI. Don't think they even sell them anymore ...so when they die I'm SOL. But since I bought those in the late 80's (yes, they are old and have a lot of burn holes from standing too close to camp fires) there have been a lot of good lightweight nylon pants introduced by other companies. Mtn Hardware comes to mind as one of those vendors.

'Slogger

SmokyMtn Hiker
02-20-2008, 21:53
I like the convertable pants that zip off at the knees for summer time, 70% cotton and 30% nylon. They are not super warm in the winter but dry much faster than 100% cotton when they get wet. Try stores such as Kohls, much cheaper than outfitter stores.

take-a-knee
02-20-2008, 22:00
REI brand convertible pants, 55$, on sale several times yearly for $38.

hnryclay
02-20-2008, 22:18
REI still sells sahara's I have a convertible pair and love them. Maybe not the best but real good for the price (24.99) when they closed out the pine color. I think regularly they are $55 USD.

Footslogger
02-20-2008, 22:29
REI still sells sahara's I have a convertible pair and love them. Maybe not the best but real good for the price (24.99) when they closed out the pine color. I think regularly they are $55 USD.
=========================

Mine are the straight legged - non convertible ones in kahki. Wear like iron and dry fast.

'Slogger

Wags
02-20-2008, 22:44
us army surplus bdu's... less than 10 bucks at your neighborhood surplus store (get the old ones, the new camies are **** material). dry fairly fast and breath very well. not to mention bomb-proof

earlylight
02-20-2008, 22:52
I think the EMS convertible pants are on sale now. They've got heavy duty zippers that last. If you get them in khaki the zipper fabric is a different color on each leg...at least mine are..so it's easier to figure out which bottom goes with which top.

14.7 oz in a men's large. nylon.

Foyt20
02-21-2008, 00:00
us army surplus bdu's... less than 10 bucks at your neighborhood surplus store (get the old ones, the new camies are **** material). dry fairly fast and breath very well. not to mention bomb-proof

Well maybe not bomb proof... But very durable.

Jaybird62
02-21-2008, 00:49
I think the EMS convertible pants are on sale now. They've got heavy duty zippers that last. If you get them in khaki the zipper fabric is a different color on each leg...at least mine are..so it's easier to figure out which bottom goes with which top.

14.7 oz in a men's large. nylon.
I've got this same pair of pants and like them a lot. They were a good deal- can't remember exactly but it was less than 30 bucks

Tennessee Viking
02-21-2008, 00:55
I'm looking at getting some good all-around pants to hike in. The weather will be anywhere between 40 and 80. I'm not looking to spend a lot. Any suggestions?

Go shorts or kilt.

I go cheap. I usually where just plain athletic pants for cold weather. Then wear thermals underneath if needed.

Spring and summer I go to gym shorts.

At Target, in the Champion line, there is a hiking pant. Light weight in fabric. They were around $25 last I saw.

envirodiver
02-21-2008, 01:10
I always take the REI convertible Sahara pants. I like the ability to have shorts during the day and long pants at night. You can also take the lower legs off of 1 pair and use the shorts, then just take 1 pair of lower legs for both pair of shorts.

They are lightweight, dry real fast and tougher than they would appear.

North face, Columbia, Mountain Hardware also make some nice nylon convertibles, but the REI are lighter than all of those.

Jimmers
02-21-2008, 01:17
I'd second Envirodiver and suggest the REI Sahara pants. I just bought my second pair. The first pair lasted 6 years, through many trips out west and on the AT, and lasted surprisingly well considering how much abuse they took. Well worth the price in my opinion.

highway
02-21-2008, 06:27

To answer your question, there is only one "Best All-Around Pants to hike in: RailRiders, billed as the toughest clothes on the planet...and they are. There are lots of hiking pants but these are the lightest and best!

http://www.railriders.com/men-pants-c-104_110.html

I discovered them when i saw the Reverend Yukon Jack wear a pair from Ga-ME in 2004. I started wearing their clothes for my hiking and I cannot wear out a pair of their hiking shorts.

highway
02-21-2008, 07:06

To answer your question, there is only one "Best All-Around Pants to hike in: RailRiders, billed as the toughest clothes on the planet...and they are. There are lots of hiking pants but these are the lightest and best!

I discovered them when i saw the Reverend Yukon Jack wear a pair from Ga-ME in 2004. I started wearing their clothes for my hiking and I cannot wear out a pair of their hiking shorts.

budforester
02-21-2008, 08:38

Those are very interesting; I bookmarked their site. Thanks

Tinker
02-21-2008, 10:31
I have two pair of RailRiders. Very nice pants. Keep in mind that looser fitting clothes are prefered for warm weather for ventilation, but tighter, more form fitting clothes are lighter in weight. I like to buy them on the large side (I usually GROW into them, anyway :p).

wrongway_08
02-21-2008, 10:35
REI brand convertible pants, 55$, on sale several times yearly for $38.

2nd that, these pants do a decent job at blocking wind, comfy as all get-out and do not weigh a lot.

You can stack wool pants under them with out any loss in comfort also.

As for the weight, my size med weighs in a 13.10oz on a ditigal scale, this is with the legs attached.

earlylight
02-21-2008, 10:45
The problem with Railriders is that they don't have a convertible pant. I like the flexibility of hiking in shorts or long pants depending on weather conditions.

whiterockjock
02-21-2008, 10:54
Yes I also like my Railriders so much I own 2 pair of Weatherpants and 2 pair of Adventure Khakis. VERY TOUGH pants and LIGHT! They even posted my review in their catalog under "keeping dogs at bay" about how they saved me from a potential serious dog bite! I also will not hike or kayak with out their Ecomesh shirt! Very pricy but worth it stuff.

Alligator
02-21-2008, 11:03
You can go lighter than convertibles by using lightweight swim trunks/nylon shorts and a microfleece set of pants. A lot of times in warmer weather hikers tend to not wear rain pants so the shorts get wet. With shorts and pants you will have something dry and warm to wear in camp in the evening.

BTW, I only wear shorts in the temperatures you mentioned, as I generate sufficient heat to stay warm. YMMV.

Jaybird
02-21-2008, 11:10
I'm looking at getting some good all-around pants to hike in. The weather will be anywhere between 40 and 80. I'm not looking to spend a lot. Any suggestions?- yes, I've done a search...

i really like "convertibles" pants.

theyre lite-weight...water resistant, & of course, if it gets too warm....lose the bottom part of the pant legs....SHORTS!

i've been hiking in them for about 10 years now...you can catch some on SALE @ many outfitter stores (REI, etc)

Good Luck on your hike!

Mrs Baggins
02-21-2008, 11:12
REI's own brand of zip off pants - I think they're called Sahara? :-? I've had 2 pairs of them for 5 years and they are as good as new. They are the only pants I use for hiking - ever. I think the usual retail is $55 but they can occasionally be found on sale for much less. They will go from dripping wet to dry in no time flat, even indoors on a hangar. And in the Ladies version they come in Petite lengths, which makes them my very best friends as I'm under 5 feet tall and there is no good way to hem hiking pants that have snaps and zips and velcro fastenings at the ankle.

Footslogger
02-21-2008, 11:13
If you like Rail Riders ...there offering a discount right now:

We've extended the 10% off through Sunday the 24th as a special thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Use code RR30 in the discount box at checkout

'Slogger

Pootz
02-21-2008, 11:18
ExOfficio Convertible Amphi Pants

I wore a pair on my 07 thru hike and they made it the whole way. I sent the zip off legs home once the weather got warmer. Good solid paints with lots of pocket space. On cold days after that I wore Golite Reed rain pants 6oz. over the shorts.

wrongway_08
02-21-2008, 11:19
The problem with Railriders is that they don't have a convertible pant. I like the flexibility of hiking in shorts or long pants depending on weather conditions.

Looking at the site, they claim a 13oz weight, but thats without the detachable legs and etra pockets that the REI have.

Pros to the Railriders: 13oz?
- maybe a stronger material being that they weigh as much as the REI. - just dont have the extra features.

Cons to Railriders:
- No extra pockets - or any pockets on this 13oz model?
- No zipper off legs
- price

Pros to REI: Med size - 13.10oz, ditigal scale
- Price
- pockets - one fully zippered to keep small items in.
- detachable legs

Cons to REI:
- Maybe not as durable material as Railriders.

Just thinking as if about to buy a set, would have to see both side by side to make fair judgment.

Jason of the Woods
02-21-2008, 11:21
I have REI convertibles as well and love them but I also spent a little more on a pair of North Face convertibles for the colder days. They are a bit thicker.

Lyle
02-21-2008, 11:21
You can go lighter than convertibles by using lightweight swim trunks/nylon shorts and a microfleece set of pants. A lot of times in warmer weather hikers tend to not wear rain pants so the shorts get wet. With shorts and pants you will have something dry and warm to wear in camp in the evening.

BTW, I only wear shorts in the temperatures you mentioned, as I generate sufficient heat to stay warm. YMMV.

Very good point Alligator, one I haven't thought of, but have experienced. Any specific suggestions for microfleece pants?

Alligator
02-21-2008, 11:44
Very good point Alligator, one I haven't thought of, but have experienced. Any specific suggestions for microfleece pants?It's hard to get the weights for the pants sometimes. I have a pair from MEC, it was their expedition weight long johns (7oz). They change their product lines annually it seems, at least colors, then sometimes materials. I'm not sure they still have them at that weight or not. Downside was these pants have a full length front to back zipper for climbers:eek:.

My REI convertible pants are 13 oz. I don't find they dry that well. They are an older pair though. Also, if you have to take them off to dry them, the leg bottoms are useless.

I do like my convertibles for day hiking and car camping though.

take-a-knee
02-21-2008, 12:10
I have REI convertibles as well and love them but I also spent a little more on a pair of North Face convertibles for the colder days. They are a bit thicker.

I have an older pair of those North Face pants and I hate them, anything you stick in those awkward pockets (on the front of your thigh) drops down to your knees. I just use them to wear to the gym, since they have ankle zips, I don't have to take my shoes off at the locker.