PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Eclipse is Starting

warraghiyagey
02-20-2008, 21:39
Looking at the full moon's reflections over the ocean. And the faintest shadow is just beginning to show.
If you're out looking when the eclipse is nearly full Saturn will be visible just a couple degrees up and to the left.
It will be at full totality here on the east coast at around 10 pm. It is perfectly clear here tonight.
A dazzling show straight ahead!:sun

Blissful
02-20-2008, 21:41
Looking forward to it as the weather moved out just in time.

SmokyMtn Hiker
02-20-2008, 21:44
Mostly clear sky and a bright moon shining here in western NC and I'm waiting for it also.

Monkeyboy
02-20-2008, 21:46
Unfortunately, it is cloudy here.......

Open patches are few and far between tonight.

Cookerhiker
02-20-2008, 21:50
I'm driving up to Big Savage Mountain to watch it. After snowing all day, I think the skies are clearing. Just hope I can handle the single digit temps.

Critterman
02-20-2008, 21:50
Local radio news person said " there will be a total solar eclipse tonight ". I have seen one during the day but a night time one would be neat.:)

tazie
02-20-2008, 21:55
Beautiful view here..bundle up cookerhiker, it's biting cold out there!

BackTrack1
02-20-2008, 22:06
was hopeing to see it here in upstate NY , was nice and clear awhile ago, now the clouds have moved in and its snowing like crazy,

40" fell just north of me today.

Dances with Mice
02-20-2008, 22:15
Scattered clouds here in GA, nice view of it now with a big bite taken out of the moon.

News of the eclipse was enough to cause France to surrender.

oops56
02-20-2008, 22:22
I can see it good but my camera not taking good picture even with tripod not to bad.

Footslogger
02-20-2008, 22:27
Bummer ...really overcast in Laramie tonight. Covered with snow clouds so no ecipse for us :(

'Slogger

No Belay
We're expecting one of our notorious Ozark icestorms tonight so I guess I'll do without. Reported to be the last one for three years in the northern hemisphere. Sounds like a good excuse to head to New Zealand.

rafe
Very cool. Clear night in Beantown. Just discovered my binocs are mucked up. :(

Montego
Overcast here just SE of Oklahoma City. No eclipse will be seen here tonight but hope the forcast for snow is good to go.

Marta
02-20-2008, 22:33
Clear night here. Lots of light pollution, of course, but still a great view from my front steps.

Patrickjd9
02-20-2008, 22:36
Been going outside with my daughter to look with binoculars every 10-15 minutes. No east facing window view because of the carport.

jesse
02-20-2008, 22:41
very cloudy here. I just saw about 3/4 eclipse thru a hole in the clouds. Oh well, there will be another one in 2010.

Micky
02-20-2008, 22:42
Clear skies here in northern Indiana. I'm lucky here at work tonight, I can watch thru the sky light above me.:)

Gray Blazer
02-20-2008, 22:53
We're expecting one of our notorious Ozark icestorms tonight so I guess I'll do without. Reported to be the last one for three years in the northern hemisphere. Sounds like a good excuse to head to New Zealand.
Forgive me.:o When you said there wouldn't be another one for 3 years, I thought you were talking about the notorious Ozark icestorms. I did not intend for this thread to get closed down. BTW, with the scudding low clouds, the eclipse is beautiful here in G'ville.

Monkeyboy
02-20-2008, 22:54
Lucky dog.....Tampa Bay is overcast big time.

naturewanderer
02-20-2008, 22:54
Awesome in PA !!!!!

Gray Blazer
02-20-2008, 22:55
Lucky dog.....Tampa Bay is overcast big time.
Ya gotta move to North Florida.

warraghiyagey
02-20-2008, 23:04
Just came in from a very brisk walk to watch the show. Saturn is looking bright to the left and there's a star just to the upper right that apparently is rarely visible to the naked eye.
It's perfectly clear here.
Headed back out to watch the totality. Hope everyone's got a good view!!!:sun

warraghiyagey
02-20-2008, 23:06
was hopeing to see it here in upstate NY , was nice and clear awhile ago, now the clouds have moved in and its snowing like crazy,

40" fell just north of me today.
Tell me it wasn't Parish again. That's just about my hometown.

Skidsteer
02-20-2008, 23:07
Clear night here. Lots of light pollution, of course, but still a great view from my front steps.

Agreed.

Awesome view from Independence Blvd! Very clear night in Charlotte, NC. ;)

Marta
02-20-2008, 23:10
Agreed.

Awesome view from Independence Blvd! Very clear night in Charlotte, NC. ;)

You're going outdoors on Independence Blvd? I hope you have your body armor on.

wakapak
02-20-2008, 23:11
Just came in from a fantastic view!!! love the reddish hue, and all the stars you can see....and Saturn too!!
Beautiful!!!!!

Cookerhiker
02-20-2008, 23:12
We're still having snow showers along with 2 degree wind chill but I was able to view it through my car sunroof. Caught glimpses of it between swirling cloud cover but the clouds became more prevalent and soon blanketed the entire night sky.

No Belay
02-20-2008, 23:13
Nice graphics Terrapin. It's like you read my thoughts......hey....They're gone.:confused:

Skidsteer
02-20-2008, 23:14
You're going outdoors on Independence Blvd? I hope you have your body armor on.

I tied twenty feet of triptease to the hotel door so I can drag myself back in if necessary.

rafe
02-20-2008, 23:34
Nice graphics Terrapin. It's like you read my thoughts......hey....They're gone.:confused:

. . . .

Gray Blazer
02-20-2008, 23:39
Dixi, you're on your toes tonight.:o Hope you're enjoying the eclipse.:sun

bloodmountainman
02-20-2008, 23:44
Beautiful!!! Went up to Neel's Gap and watched. Clear and cold! The best I've ever seen!!!

weary
02-20-2008, 23:45
Midcoast Maine is absolutely cloudless -- despite a forecast to the contrary this afternoon. At my house we have constant light pollution from the shipyard six miles to the north, but that doesn't interfere with the eclipse, which is pretty much directly overhead and moving east to west.

Weary

Erin
02-20-2008, 23:45
We were so looking forward to it, but at six pm the clouds came in for yet another ice storm. For those of you that can see it, enjoy!

The Old Fhart
02-20-2008, 23:52
It looked better than this.
3394(click image to see full size)

Skidsteer
02-20-2008, 23:56
It looked better than this.
3394(click image to see full size)

Awesome shot!

warraghiyagey
02-20-2008, 23:57
We were so looking forward to it, but at six pm the clouds came in for yet another ice storm. For those of you that can see it, enjoy!
Such a bummer that you might not be seeing this. It is by far the best lunar eclipse I've ever seen. Hope the clouds clear for ya. I'm headed back out to watch it move on. It's already starting to show the tiniest sliver of shine again.
During totality it was reddish glow, almost like an eye peaking in from heaven and slowly turning to look straight at us.
Aaaaanywho, I'm off to watch again. Still cold out there.:rolleyes:

Jan LiteShoe
02-20-2008, 23:57
She's starting to come back in mid-state NC.
Looks like an eyeball right now.

I agree, best I've ever seen. Won't be another til 2010.
Thanks for the pic OF.

Footslogger
02-20-2008, 23:58

Thanks for the pic OF.

====================

C'mon Jan ...get me a pic. We're snowed in here in Laramie.

'Slogger

vonfrick
02-20-2008, 23:59
Local radio news person said " there will be a total solar eclipse tonight ". I have seen one during the day but a night time one would be neat.:)

went out with a guy for a while. one time he said, "isn't it funny how you can sometimes see the moon during the day, but you can never see the sun at night?"

i wonder what he's been doin' for the last 20 years.

Footslogger
02-21-2008, 00:00
went out with a guy for a while. one time he said, "isn't it funny how you can sometimes see the moon during the day, but you can never see the sun at night?"

=============================

Searching ...

'Slogger

warraghiyagey
02-21-2008, 00:01

Thanks for the pic OF.
Jan, after the timing of our last to posts, it's apparent we saw a very similar thing.:)

warraghiyagey
02-21-2008, 00:05

Great story VF. Well told:):Dhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing010.gif

Jimmers
02-21-2008, 00:09
Missed the whole thing. Maybe next time the weather will cooperate. Darn rain.:mad:

ed bell
02-21-2008, 00:12
Very nice from my back porch in Greenville, SC. "Total" for quite a while. Just now getting a sliver of bright light back.

Jan LiteShoe
02-21-2008, 00:14
Jan, after the timing of our last to posts, it's apparent we saw a very similar thing.:)

You mean up in the sky?
:)

Tootslogger, while I did go out and try a couple shots:sun, the magnificent shadow on the moon looks like a pin prick.

OF might share his photo secret. Technology is not my strong suit.

Footslogger
02-21-2008, 00:16
[quote=Jan LiteShoe;544296]Tootslogger, while I did go out and try a couple shots:sun, the magnificent shadow on the moon looks like a pin prick.

=======================================

I'll settle for the pin prick ....

'Slogger

Skidsteer
02-21-2008, 00:28
I empathize with Jan.

This is the best shot I could manage with my dirt bag camera:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Lunar%20eclipse/th_LunarEclipse013.jpg (http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Lunar%20eclipse/LunarEclipse013.jpg)

Footslogger
02-21-2008, 00:32
I empathize with Jan.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Lunar%20eclipse/th_LunarEclipse013.jpg (http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Lunar%20eclipse/LunarEclipse013.jpg)
===========================================

Thank goodness for dirtbag cameras ...

Thanks for sharing Skids !!

'Slogger

mweinstone
02-21-2008, 00:40
walked stonewall out to his truck about 945 without knowing about an eclips. stonewall pulled away and as i walked to my door i stopped cause somthing was wrong with the moon. never thaught the word eclips. just stared and figured it was a weird cloud. but it wasnt and my mind knew it but i didnt. it was like being a caveman who has no reason to care but understands it was different. cool?i realized their was a planet and a star really close and wondered if it was a holiday. like rama dan maby. then walked away.

Jaybird62
02-21-2008, 00:44
Clear and beautiful here in DE. Perfect night to stare into the sky and ponder...

warraghiyagey
02-21-2008, 00:55
Ponder exactly. It seemed so easy to consider the beginnings of a belief set and faithin earliest man. No ambient city lights. Just a light in the night that becomes so regular in their lives - those of surely a partial nocturnal creature (frequently mobile in this hour to hunt. . . or to escape).
On a given evening when it lights the scape at full strength surely was was a good night for those who roamed then.
Without a hint a celestial shadow removes it's glare. Certainly they must have pondered as well.

First - what is happening. And then why did this happen. . . will it happen again.
And they pondered.
In the age of man it's only a few centuries past that this very phenomena as a solar eclipse cast fear into all humans.

Jan LiteShoe
02-21-2008, 01:07
Speaking of stuff up in the sky tonight, remember Skylab?:
News Alert: Official Says Missile Has Hit Dead Satellite in Orbit

A defense official says a missile launched from a U.S. Navy
ship in the Pacific hit a decaying U.S. spy satellite 130
miles above Earth's surface. The results of the strike are
still unclear.

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/?emc=na

Jan LiteShoe
02-21-2008, 01:11
I empathize with Jan.

That's way better than what I took.
One of these days I'll take the time to figure out how to post pics.

By the way, I could see OF's shot in Firefox, but had to shift to Internet Explorer to see yours, Skids. Any ideas why, anyone?

warraghiyagey
02-21-2008, 01:11
I saw a shooting star during the eclipse. It had a nice long track. For such a tiny particle to catch one's attention during a full moon and an eclipse, definite to ponder.
I never 'wished' after seeing one of these- until tonight.

ed bell
02-21-2008, 01:22
I saw a shooting star during the eclipse. It had a nice long track. For such a tiny particle to catch one's attention during a full moon and an eclipse, definite to ponder.
I never 'wished' after seeing one of these- until tonight.You are lucky for sure! I hope you chose a good wish. And I wish it comes true.:sun

warraghiyagey
02-21-2008, 01:35
You are lucky for sure! I hope you chose a good wish. And I wish it comes true.:sun
It certainly feels like it will. Thanks.:)

nightshaded
02-21-2008, 02:26
amazingly, not only was the sky clear in NE ohio, but the light pollution didn't even obscure that bad ol' moon...it was full and juicy-red. sat on the back porch freezing off my fingers and watching the eclipse. what a night!

warraghiyagey
02-21-2008, 04:55
Just after totality there was a deep indigo halo around the moon with magenta fringes. What a beautiful sight and night.

The Old Fhart
02-21-2008, 06:34
Jan LiteShoe-"OF might share his photo secret. Technology is not my strong suit."The photo was taken with a tripod mounted Pentax K100D DSLR with a 900mm (35mm eq) mirror lens.

Thoughtful Owl
02-21-2008, 11:19
I didn't see this thread until just a few minutes ago. I was wondering if anyone else was watching the heavens last night. Wasn't it awesome. One of the many wonders of the universe. If wasn't to sure if I would be able to see it because of the cloud coverage, but the sky just opened up and there it was in all its glory.

warraghiyagey
02-21-2008, 12:36
Yeah, there were a few folks from down toward your neck who weighed in last night that they had a cloudless and spectacular view of the entire event.
It was by far the best conditions I've ever had for a full eclise and I watched it through it's entirety.
What a great night.

Jan LiteShoe
02-21-2008, 13:04
Yeah, there were a few folks from down toward your neck who weighed in last night that they had a cloudless and spectacular view of the entire event.
It was by far the best conditions I've ever had for a full eclise and I watched it through it's entirety.
What a great night.

I suspect you'll have a great thru-hike (admit it - was that your falling-star wish?).

There was a terrific lunar eclipse in May of 203, during my thru. I was at Trail Days, and friends had taken me to Abingdon to see the second "Matrix" movie, which was fun.
But I kept running outside to watch the eclipse. At that point, the moon's show was as compelling as Hollywood. The ticket taker would just grin and pass me through.
:sun

warraghiyagey
02-21-2008, 13:11
I suspect you'll have a great thru-hike (admit it - was that your falling-star wish?).

:sun
Actually the wish was even more powerful than having a great hike.:)
Natural phenomena can be a great way to connect with the spirit, memories and love of people in your life.:sun:sun
But yes, the stars seem aligned for a great hike this year.:)

Chenango
02-21-2008, 13:21
Beautiful clear, cold night in central NY. It was perfect conditions for veiweing the great show in the sky. I called my kids at college in SC and it was nice to talk to them while they too viewed the same show.

Note to Self: Wear shoes outside when it is 10 degrees. Then you will not have to keep running inside to stand by the wood stove every 5 minutes.

Yeah, I know. 52 years old and still too dumb to take care of myself.

warraghiyagey
02-21-2008, 13:23
Beautiful clear, cold night in central NY. It was perfect conditions for veiweing the great show in the sky. I called my kids at college in SC and it was nice to talk to them while they too viewed the same show.

Note to Self: Wear shoes outside when it is 10 degrees. Then you will not have to keep running inside to stand by the wood stove every 5 minutes.

Yeah, I know. 52 years old and still too dumb to take care of myself.
Yeah, no shoes? A CNY guy already knows that. I find myself doing the same thing. Always knowing a warm floor is just a few steps away.
A Syracuse poster said they got 40" of snow north of there yesterday. Just wondering what town/area. Do you know??

Chenango
02-21-2008, 13:27
Yeah, no shoes? A CNY guy already knows that. I find myself doing the same thing. Always knowing a warm floor is just a few steps away.
A Syracuse poster said they got 40" of snow north of there yesterday. Just wondering what town/area. Do you know??

I live in Norwich, NY. Make a triangle with Syracuse, Utica, and Binghamton. It is right in the middle. I went to grad school at SU so I lived in Syr for 4.5 years. Yes, CNY is a cold and snowy place, but I love it.

warraghiyagey
02-21-2008, 13:29
I live in Norwich, NY. Make a triangle with Syracuse, Utica, and Binghamton. It is right in the middle. I went to grad school at SU so I lived in Syr for 4.5 years. Yes, CNY is a cold and snowy place, but I love it.
Any idea who got all the snow yesterday??

Tinker
02-21-2008, 13:31
The only memorable eclipse in my life was one over the pond in front of a shelter on the Long Trail. Owl was hooting on far side of the pond while eclipse progressed. Once moon was fully shadowed, owl flew to tree in front of shelter and hooted from there. At the same time, a moose waded into the pond in the dim light and began to feed on pond plants. A great memory shared with some friends last night.

Chenango
02-21-2008, 13:31
Any idea who got all the snow yesterday??

No idea. It was not here. We only got a dusting.

Jan LiteShoe
02-21-2008, 15:30
Here's the NASA shakedown:

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/LEmono/TLE2008Feb21/TLE2008Feb21.html

including a "how to photograph and eclipse" link.
;-)