PDA

View Full Version : Capilene vs. Thermasilk

Brushy Sage
01-10-2004, 16:41
I'm looking for a bottom layer and noticed the Thermasilks are real silk, lighter, and less expensive than silkweight Capilene. Any one have a preference for one over the other? I hike pretty warm but sleep very cold so they'd be mostly for sleeping. My start date is 3/18.

I pick Capilene as being more durable and more absorbent, and worth the price difference. To me, Capilene silkweight is like a miracle fabric.

Peaks
01-10-2004, 17:16
Here's the skinny:

Silk generally wears out fast.

Capilene is a Patagonia product. Nice, but you pay for it.

Almost any other brand of poly pro will be cheaper, and work the same.

If you have the money, then by all means, feel free to get the really nice stuff. Myself, my base layer is a hodge podge of various brands, including Lifa, EMS house brand, LL Bean house brand, and others.

Kerosene
01-10-2004, 17:31
I purchased a lightweight (step above silkweight) Patagonia capilene shirt and was disappointed with its wicking properties and drying time. I've been much more satisfied with the CoolMax Alta shirts (6 oz. for a long-sleeve men's medium) which seem to dry much faster. I did a quick search and found a women's (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=22214236) at Campmor on sale for $9! Here's a short-sleeve men's T-shirt (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47608591&parent_category_rn=4501414) from REI, probably 4-5 ounces.

MedicineMan
01-18-2004, 08:07
Not dumb wool but SmartWool. The Aero-tights I have are 2oz lighter than an equivalent pair of Capilene and 4oz lighter than a pair of LLBean tights and much warmer, they also wick better than the synthetics and dont get the funck as easily. I can't hike in them-too hot but I'm in shorts when its 16F, so they are 5oz. sleepwear for me...
also the advertisements are true,it doesnt itch and you can wash it like normal clothes...the only down side is the price.....

Kerosene
01-18-2004, 15:50
Simva, the SmartWool website notes that the men's Aerotights won't be available until Fall 2004! Where did you get yours and what is the actual weight?

oliander
08-11-2005, 18:59
I sleep in pure silk long underwear & top. Love them! They pack small. Silk packs the best warmth per weight, I believe, more than "silkweight" Capilene. The silk does wear out faster, but if your intention is to SLEEP in it (not hike in it) then that shouldn't matter. For cool evenings in camp, I slap my ultralight rainpants (Reed by Golite) over my silk long underwear and it keeps me very, very warm. If I'm expecting especially cold weather, I actually pack 2 silk tops and wear one over the other!