PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Southbounders!!! Lookit!!

TJ aka Teej
02-21-2008, 10:42
http://www.katahdincam.com/
Don't worry, the snow'll be (mostly) gone by June. :D

attroll
02-21-2008, 10:45
I was snowmobiling in Baxter yesterday. There are tons of snow. It will be a while. Be patient.

Foyt20
02-21-2008, 10:48
Nice, bring your mittens :)

TJ aka Teej
02-21-2008, 10:55
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/3/1/4/abolbridgestore2005-med.jpg
The Mountain in Mid-May.
Big difference just a few months will make! How was the weather yesterday, Rick?

Blissful
02-21-2008, 11:01
That is spectacular. Can't believe I climbed that thing, wowsie.

Phreak
02-21-2008, 11:08
Damn, that makes me want to take a trip to Maine!

attroll
02-22-2008, 21:52
TJ
Here is what the weather was like the two time I was up there this month.

02 Feb 2008
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/8/dsc02386.jpg

21 Feb 2008
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/8/dsc02398.jpg

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-22-2008, 22:10
::: Shivering Dino pokes head out for under pile of down quilts and is frightened by sight of snow:::

quasarr
02-23-2008, 00:59
I'm frightened too!! LOL here in North Carolina they close the schools if there's even a forecast of snow :p

mudhead
02-23-2008, 13:11
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/3/1/4/abolbridgestore2005-med.jpg
The Mountain in Mid-May.
Big difference just a few months will make! How was the weather yesterday, Rick?

That is one sweet shot.

One of my favorite shades of green. (new leaves.)

highway
02-23-2008, 14:44
You northerners are crazy! Thats waaayyyyy to cold for me:D

Pathfinder
03-02-2008, 21:15
We've got over 120 inches of snow this winter in Maine and over 150 inches in the mountains. It's getting pretty crazy up here!

Nightwalker
03-02-2008, 22:08
That is spectacular. Can't believe I climbed that thing, wowsie.

I'm with ya. That was the hardest single climb that I've ever done.

Freedom
03-02-2008, 22:12
Grrr... I was going to start SoBo mid-May... looks like I'll be changing that schedule - - - - again.

ryan207
03-03-2008, 17:24
Grrr... I was going to start SoBo mid-May... looks like I'll be changing that schedule - - - - again.
trust me, you'll be glad you didn't. Rivers will probably be higher this year than they have been in about 4 years. plus, remember those lovely black flies and mosquitoes. Its gonna be a buffet!!

warraghiyagey
03-03-2008, 18:44
trust me, you'll be glad you didn't. Rivers will probably be higher this year than they have been in about 4 years. plus, remember those lovely black flies and mosquitoes. Its gonna be a buffet!!
Trail rule. The trail name Hot Pursuit is for dorks!!
:D:D

attroll
03-04-2008, 01:42
You got that right. The crossing will be high this year. The bugs will most likely be worse but they may be a little later coming out in the mountains.

Almost There
03-04-2008, 09:47
You got that right. The crossing will be high this year. The bugs will most likely be worse but they may be a little later coming out in the mountains.

Later would be around when?

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 09:50
mid to late june. head nets and deet a must. don't forget to ford the kennebec

mudhead
03-04-2008, 09:58
May 19th. 9:04AM. As opposed to May 17th.

Seriously, I think he means that it will take longer for the snow/ice to go away, therefore the bugs will be delayed.

Almost There
03-04-2008, 10:16
May 19th. 9:04AM. As opposed to May 17th.

Seriously, I think he means that it will take longer for the snow/ice to go away, therefore the bugs will be delayed.

Figured that, but starting June 10th, was wondering if that means we could get thru the wilderness before they get "really" bad...really being a relative term, of course.

Freedom
03-05-2008, 02:26
Okay - so - I know the trail usually opens in mid-May. Will the 2 weeks to the beginning of June really make that much of a difference in the weather?

And when you say high river fordings do you mean impossible or just really really wet and cold?

So, basically what I'm saying is that if it CAN be done, I want to start mid-May, but if it's impossible, I'll have to delay. Anyone know?

warraghiyagey
03-05-2008, 02:39
Okay - so - I know the trail usually opens in mid-May. Will the 2 weeks to the beginning of June really make that much of a difference in the weather?

And when you say high river fordings do you mean impossible or just really really wet and cold?

So, basically what I'm saying is that if it CAN be done, I want to start mid-May, but if it's impossible, I'll have to delay. Anyone know?
The fords are navigable generally by the last week in May and earlier if you pick your spots. The water may be deeper and a couple degrees colder but they shouldn't be cause for concern. I've yet to cross a ford in Maine that is more than upper-thigh high. And even then you can ove up or down the stream a little bit and find an easier crossing if need be.
And many of the fords have some type of either rocks or logs that will aid the process.
As far as bugs, DEET always was adequate for me, I've yet to have the nightmare with bugs that are spoken of so frequently.
Have a great hike.
Peace
SOBO8

attroll
03-05-2008, 03:23

I would not hold my breath on starting in mid May the way the weather is here in Maine right now. We have over 40 to 50 inches of snow in some of the mountains in Maine right now. That is a lot more then years past. As for if the crossing being impossible. That is hard to say. There have been times in the past when some were impassable. It all depends on how fast the winter thaw is and how long it takes the snow to melt in the mountains. In the past I have hiked on mothers day weekend and have not been able to hike over some of the mountains on the AT.

This could change depending on the weather but it is not looking good right now but it is still 2 1/2 months away.

You can view the snow depth charts daily here www.erh.noaa.gov/er/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/sd1_today.jpg (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/sd1_today.jpg)

peakbagger
03-05-2008, 14:02
I live in the Whites and there have been years where snowshoes were needed on Memorial Day weekend to avoid postholing. North facing slopes in softwoods can really hold in the snow. Mahoosuc notch is going to be real interesting early season this year. I expect the skiers will be sking Tuckermans well into June this year.

Scaper
03-05-2008, 14:32
Its still to early to tell what conditions will be like on Katahdin in May.

Red Hat
03-05-2008, 17:36
I knew there was a reason to wait until July... Getting anxious though...

Tinker
03-05-2008, 18:00
I slept on snow near Rattle River Shelter (NH) for first time this year. Nothing like it except possibly sand sculped to your body's shape. What little heat that makes it through your pad causes the snow to soften and conform to your body's shape. ZZZZZZZZZZZ! :)

Christopher Robin
03-05-2008, 19:09
I ammore concern about the Mahoosuc area w/little sun to melt the snow. I also can't wait for the end of June.

Autumnwind
03-05-2008, 21:25
:sunSun and rain will wash all this white stuff away throughout April. May at Kathadin is beautiful no blackflies............they are the nasty. I would say if this weather stays warm as it is all this snow will melt quickly. It is amazing how fast the glaciers disappear with a little solar heat. But the water may be high and the trails a bit muddy. But if you want to see beauty without bugs go for it. Just wear the right clothes for your journey through water and mud. Have an awesome trip. Blackflies get bad around Memorial day till July 4. Believe me they never go away but they are less annoying.

weary
03-05-2008, 23:00
mid to late june. head nets and deet a must. don't forget to ford the kennebec
In my experience you can expect black fly problems in Maine from late May through July 4. Not every day. A brisk breeze and a bright sun, together, will keep them away.

The flies are attracted by dark colors. I once watched a dark blue sleeping bag covered with the things. A light blue bag nearby was bug free.

I alway dress in white, light yellow, and light tan, during black fly season.

Dark reds, browns, and blues are deadly.

The only repellant that works in my experience is 100 percent "deet."

Black flies are a daylight bug. They disappear with the arrival of darkness -- only to return full force by an hour after daylight. Eat breakfast early during bug season unless you need extra protein in your diet.

Weary

Freedom
03-06-2008, 20:10
The fords are navigable generally by the last week in May and earlier if you pick your spots. The water may be deeper and a couple degrees colder but they shouldn't be cause for concern. I've yet to cross a ford in Maine that is more than upper-thigh high. And even then you can ove up or down the stream a little bit and find an easier crossing if need be.
And many of the fords have some type of either rocks or logs that will aid the process.
As far as bugs, DEET always was adequate for me, I've yet to have the nightmare with bugs that are spoken of so frequently.
Have a great hike.
Peace
SOBO8

Thanks once again for the optimism and encouragement!

ryan207
03-06-2008, 22:29
Trail rule. The trail name Hot Pursuit is for dorks!!
:D:D

you're just jealous wargey!:D I still can't say your name right.

attroll
03-07-2008, 00:58
Have a great hike.
Peace
SOBO8
Evidently you have not been in Maine in May after a good winter. There are some places that will be waist lever or higher and very swift moving and very very very cold.

My advice is if you feel you have to ford something like this, first unbuckel all your straps on you backpack so if you fall you can get out of your pack real easy. Second bit of advice is do not ford alone on places that are high and swift moving.

TJ aka Teej
03-07-2008, 11:37
What opens in mid-May is just that Baxter Park for overnight camping. I've been at Katahdin Stream Campground almost every May 15th for the last 25 years. The Hunt Trail has been open about 3-4 times. In the next few weeks after the earth tilts so the sun gets onto the iced over streches of the AT, the temp goes up about 10 degrees, and the woods wake up. Big difference between 5/15 and 6/7.
Early June in Baxter:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7587&catid=member&imageuser=314

Almost There
03-10-2008, 09:37
Look at the snow on Katahdin today!!! I'm supposed to be up top in three months from today!

weary
03-10-2008, 10:38
Figured that, but starting June 10th, was wondering if that means we could get thru the wilderness before they get "really" bad...really being a relative term, of course.
I find they start in mid May, reach there peak by Mid June, and pretty much end by early July. Sorry about that.

Carry 100 percent deet, wear light colored clothing. No dark reds, dark blues, or blacks. And pray for bright sunny, windy days. I use liquid deet on my skin and spray deet on my hat, the back of my tee shirt or whatever I'm wearing. Replenish as needed, which means every hour if you are sweating.

Early daily starts help, somewhat. Black flies only live one day. They disappear by dark. The new crop doesn't arrive until 6 or so the next morning, so there's usually a bug free window for an early breakfast and an early walk.

Deet works by touch. When black flies land on it they don't realize they are sitting on food. That means it has to be smeared on all exposed skin, not just dabbed here and there.

Finally even when black flies are not biting they can be terribly annoying, just bouncing up and down, and back and forth in front of your eyes.

Weary

mudhead
03-10-2008, 10:51
Pray for wind.

Sometimes we get a very heavy rain at the perfect time, it washes them away before they break their "thread" and hatch.

They only want some blood.

Almost There
03-10-2008, 11:07
Yeah, got my head net, have no problems using deet, light colored shorts...but gotta get new shirts if I go by the color thing as I bought brown shirts already for the hike...how has permathin worked on blackflies? Thinking about buying one of the exofficio shirts. Would I be wasting my money?

mudhead
03-10-2008, 11:11
Just use what you have. Think of clothing as protection. Snug openings, or spray. They crawl up. (Think shorts.) Yeehaw!

Almost There
03-10-2008, 13:18
They crawl up. (Think shorts.) Yeehaw!

That will put a spring in your step!:eek:

weary
03-10-2008, 13:50
I wear long pants in fly season and a light, long sleave shirt -- often an old light colored dress shirt. I tend to tuck my pant leg into my socks if the flies are really bad. Other wise deet on my socks pretty much does the trick.

Aside from observation and experience, my black fly knowledge stems from a two-day scientific conference on black flies that I attended 35 years ago.

In the 1970s Maine for a few years produced black flys that lasted all summer and fall until frost intervened. Speculation was rampant this this was a "new breed" of flies. But old newspaper clips reported a similar occurence in the 1930s, suggesting not a new breed, but a breed that naturally becomes prevalent every 40 years.

Anyway, the "new breed" disappeared after a few years and hasn't returned 40 years later -- so far.

The other theory was that heavy spraying of the forest against a tree-killing budworm, had killed off the natural enemies of the black flies, enabling them to breed longer. Studies in Canada had shown that the chemicals killed off the flies, temporarily. But they tended to recur more numerous than ever when the spraying stopped.

None of the scientists that spoke at the conference had any idea which theory was true, but I remember that it made for an interesting discussion.

Weary

Scaper
03-23-2008, 10:23
There is probably over 12 inches of melt water in the Maine mountains. Is the river and lake ice thinnner this year due to the heavy snow. You are going to have some serious ice jams and major flooding if you get major april rains.

Scaper
04-16-2008, 16:31
Serious melting going on this week !!!!!!!!

rcli4
04-16-2008, 16:44
It is supposed to be 68 in millinocket on friday. Should see some melting going on.

Clyde

Pete Moss
04-22-2008, 17:44
Looks as though the snow is melting a bit up there?

woodsy
04-22-2008, 18:21
Looks as though the snow is melting a bit up there?
Yeah, its melting, how long it will take to go away in the mountains is anyones guess, but, progress is being made, its those shady and north slopes areas that take awhile....

Captain
04-23-2008, 04:12
i so want to live in maine im tired of living in cincinnati where when we get TWO inches everyone is like in a panic like OMG are they closing the roads!! have we got enough water , hey wheres the flashlights!! its pathetic to watch

boarstone
04-23-2008, 06:37
Yeah...I hear'ya...we're disappointed if it's less than 6! With this year being the exception...we were getting hammered every week w/those 6"+ storms...now it's looking so much better...my daffodils are poking thru the ground, the deer have been following the snow melt back to their summering grounds, water levels are good, at least down here in my neck of the woods...the Matawamkeg river is a foot above flood stage..nothing to worry about..suppose to be 75 deg. today....yiiippeeee!:sun

Captain
04-23-2008, 07:07
i love the joke john pinete makes about maine "so we drive upto maine , which is nice ,but its still the setting of most of stephen kings novels, and we head 9 hours down the main turnpike and.. you cant GO 9 hours were in russia, then we stop and ask for directions and people are saying creepy "maine" stuff like " oh goin way up there huh? , uh yeah .why...WHY!?" you tube "john pinette camping"