PDA

View Full Version : $1.02/mile Cost breakdown!

Fourcheese
02-21-2008, 11:12
I've been lurking around for a while and decided to say HI to everyone with some (hopefully) useful info for all the '08ers. I have converted the best trip of my life, NOBO '05, into a spreadsheet with daily milage and cost breakdowns for each resupply.

The overall breakdown was
156 Days / 2175.9 miles / $2209.15
$760 on trail Food
$607 on Town Food
$155 on Hotel/hostel/shelter fees... (cheap cause I like me Hammock)
$568 on New/replacement Gear (Hammock, Shoes x4, Leki's, DEET,...)
$118 of other stuff (When i cant figure out my notes.)

My hike was faster than many and not as luxurious as some, but I feel like I missed out on little. Any faster or cheaper and it may have been less fun.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pGca4CB3l65zkwBWE97FcaA&hl=en

4-cheese
GA->ME'05

jersey joe
02-21-2008, 11:16
Nice breakdown Fourcheese. I give you credit for being so diligent in your record keeping.

wrongway_08
02-21-2008, 11:21
Very nice! great job record keeping. :)

MOWGLI
02-21-2008, 11:27
Nice job! Most people will tell you that you can't do the trail on $1/mile. Obviously you can. The fact that your figure includes $568 in gear is pretty amazing.

Aubee
02-21-2008, 11:29
I really appreciate this break down. Glad you're sharing it w/ us. It seems like you saved alot in the lodging area. Did you eat what you wanted or did you find yourself not going to town restaurants in order to save money? Thanks again for this.

mountain squid
02-21-2008, 11:52
Looks good. A couple of questions:

Lodging costs at The Barn, Pine Ellis and then at Stratton Motel?
Transportation costs to/from the trail and when you went home in May?
Lodging costs associated with transportation to/from the trail and when you went home?

I'm not trying to be picky. If you did incur these extra expenses it might be helpful for those currently planning. Otherwise, how did you manage to get around these expenses? Did someone drop you off, pick you up, etc? Did you chip in for gas money?

Just some thoughts. I think it is a great list and should be very helpful for many. You don't appear to have indulged much, but still spent over $2000.00.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

PS. Can everyone access the list? The google link requires a log-in.

Fourcheese
02-21-2008, 16:56
MS-Hmmm, I may have missed some of those hostel expenses in my journal, oops. I think i got some floor space for 5 at Stratton. The barn if i remember from 3 years ago (And its amazing how vivid i still can remember most of the hike!) was around 20. Somone else picked up the Pine Ellis Tab and in exchange I paid for a double @ Shaws. I also did lots of work for stay in the whites and some nice nero days into and out of town.

My Starting gear and transportation wasn't included. I was lucky that I had family in the area to drop me off/pick me up. If you include starting gear and transportation, $1/mile would be a tough goal.

Aubee- For food I ate pretty much whatever I wanted in town, but just limited the amount of time spent there and took it easy on the beer. I ate lots of cheap junk (mac& cheese, ramen, Sardines, little debbies...) on the trail. I didn't skimp on food, I just like junk.

ZEKE #2
02-21-2008, 18:08
Like it!

jersey joe
02-21-2008, 18:47
I also did lots of work for stay in the whites and some nice nero days into and out of town.

I also did a lot of work for stays through the whites. Sucks at the end of a long day to go relocate trees for an hour, but helped save some money.

paradoxb3
02-21-2008, 22:22
Awesome record keeping! I'm planning a 2010 thru and have been wondering about how many of you keep track of funds. do you just hit an ATM in town and check the balance from time to time and keep a mental record, or do any of you go as far as to keep a balanced checkbook?

Fourcheese
02-22-2008, 00:00
I had everything I had saved up in my checking account when I started so I just kept a general mental balance with the occasional ATM check. In my journal I kept every night I would try to remember if I had spent anything that day.

gungho
02-22-2008, 00:24
Not a bad idea,to account account for expenses while writing your journal