PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Spending

Kirby
02-21-2008, 11:20
How much would you say one should expect to spend on any given week on a through hike?

Kirby

Lone Wolf
02-21-2008, 11:22
$30 to $150. there is no answer to your question really.

Pootz
02-21-2008, 11:36
All depends on how much time you spend in town. On the trail you just need to pay for your food. In town you will need to budget for overnight stays and town food. Many of the trail towns along the way have options like hostels that are cheaper than hotels. I did a mixture of both. Sometimes a hotel room was just more relaxing than a hostle. The larger your budget the better. And once your budget is set stick to it. If you have money left after your hike it will not be a problem but if you run out of money you are done.

jersey joe
02-21-2008, 11:36
The number one factor is time spent in towns. more time in town = more money spent

Thoughtful Owl
02-21-2008, 11:38
Kirby,
Depends upon what you eat when you are in towns. Where you stay in towns: hostels, motels etc. How & what you resupply with. Any replacement gear etc.

As LW said there is no real answer.

If you need anything when you hit Central VA area give me a call. 434 841-8087 or send me an e-mail [email protected]

Jan LiteShoe
02-21-2008, 11:47
Yeah, that's a toughie.
Save some extra bucks for motels up north, they are pricier.

Kirby
02-21-2008, 11:50
$30 to $150. there is no answer to your question really.

I fall somewhere in there.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
02-21-2008, 12:05
Figure $20 to $50 for resupply, $10 to $60 for lodging, $8 to $60 a day for meals, $0 to $300 for equipment, twenty bucks for a milkshake, laundry, library donation, ice cream, and postage. Does not include alcohol or tobacco or other drugs which could be expensive for a lot of hikers. Are you using a phone card? Are you paying for shuttles? Do you eat in expensive restaurants? Go to a movie? Float down the river? It's surprising what you need to spend money on--$125 worth of socks in five months???? Yes.

And as others said, time spent in town is a big factor. If money is a factor, go in town, resupply, shower, do laundry, check your email, eat a meal, and leave. It's easier to sleep in your tent, anyway.

tina.anderson
02-21-2008, 16:43
Yeah, hiking can get rather expensive if you aren't careful and you don't set a budget.

Cuffs
02-21-2008, 16:46
Isnt the group you are PAYING to hike with covering some of these expenses?

bfitz
02-21-2008, 16:51
I can't stress it enough, bring more than you can imagine you'll need. At some point you'll have an issue or break a toe or meet a girl or something and end up spending a whole week in the same town eating out, going to the movies or something....also, tater's right about stuff like the sock budget, etc...

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2008, 16:54
Lone Wolf had it pretty much right.

But you don't smoke or drink, so that should save you a whole lot right there.

If you limit your town time, you should be able to get by on well under $100.00 a week. Remember: The more time you spend in the woods and mountains and the less time you spend in town, the less you'll spend.

Limit your town time, do some "in and outs" (meaning go into a town, re-supply and run your town errands, and then GET OUT and stay in the woods) and you'll save a ton of money on lodging, restaurant meals, and other frills.

Also, hotels can be cheaper than hostels if you split the room with some friends, so plan ahead BEFORE you arrive in a town. And if you stay at a hostel with a kitchen, by all means use it, i.e. do some communal meals with friends. If everyone throws in on dinner, you'll eat better and lots cheaper than you will if you dine out.