PDA

View Full Version : Drought in southern VA

visionrider
02-21-2008, 12:17
I'm planning in leaving Damascus in early April and hike north through Va. Anyone know how the drought has affected water supplies in Va?

Jeff

CaseyB
02-21-2008, 12:18
Fine shape

Tennessee Viking
02-21-2008, 14:18
The area is still considered in drought conditions from last year. But water levels are coming back up. Shouldn't have a problem find water.

straps
02-21-2008, 14:50
Water was abundant in Grayson Highlands this past weekend.

Skyline
02-21-2008, 15:19
For now, the SNP area is in decent shape. We've had enough precip the past couple months to get most shelter sources and a lot of others recharged. However, a solid month or so without rain/snowmelt, coupled with Spring's green-up pulling a lot of ground water towards the trees and other plants could put us right back where we were. The 2007 drought has been put on hold for awhile, but we don't have a lot of water in reserve.

Do a rain dance!

In SNP, we are fortunate in that once all the picnic areas, campgrounds, visitor centers, lodging, and restaurants open up it is possible to hike most of the AT within the Park without regard to spring or stream water sources. The exception is the extreme north and south parts but most hikers can get by just carrying more between Rockfish and Loft Mt., and between Elkwallow and US522.

visionrider
02-21-2008, 16:09
Thanks for the info. I'll have to pay attention to what the weather in Va is like in the next month.

Jeff

tina.anderson
02-21-2008, 16:37
It doesn't sound like it's in that bad of shape now, and hopefully it will be ok this summer. My family loves to go hiking in Virginia probably more than any other place.