PDA

View Full Version : temporary employment

clong
02-21-2008, 15:15
So here is my situation.... I graduate about a year from now, in December 2008, but grad. school (History) doesn't start until the following August. I am planning on a thru-hike starting around April 09, but will need to find some type of work from December until then. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of somewhere I could get a job for that period of time that would keep me close to the outdoor/hiking community, I am from Ohio so east coast would be preferable, other than that I am pretty much open to anything. Thanks for any info

clong

hobojoe
02-21-2008, 15:18
Asheville is a pretty big town, about 20 minutes from the trail, might be kinda dead during that time of the year. Any skills?

Lone Wolf
02-21-2008, 15:30
ski areas

DesertMTB
02-21-2008, 15:40
I bet the Natahala Outdoor Center hires seasonal help. Also the National Whitewater Center in Charlotte hires a lot of people on temp basis

Lone Wolf
02-21-2008, 15:42
not in the winter

taildragger
02-21-2008, 15:46
check out craigslist

you might be able to work the floor at an outfitter if you're knowledgeable

Freeleo
02-21-2008, 15:47
I bet the Natahala Outdoor Center hires seasonal help. Also the National Whitewater Center in Charlotte hires a lot of people on temp basis

they are starting to list on craigslist/asheville...i saw quite a few jobs a few days ago

Tennessee Viking
02-21-2008, 19:35
TriCities (Kingsport, Johnson City, Bristol) with Erwin and Elizabethton nearby.

Franklin to Clyde, NC

Tennessee Viking
02-21-2008, 19:36
Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg/Sevierville is mostly seasonal work. But housing is expensive there.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-21-2008, 19:44
Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg/Sevierville is mostly seasonal work. But housing is expensive there.They are pretty much closed down during the winter. A ski area would be your best bet.

whitefoot_hp
02-21-2008, 19:52
yeah, for 5 an hour.

whitefoot_hp
02-21-2008, 19:54
you really just need to keep your eyes open and look for a good job. dont expect the job itself to keep you close to hiking, you can do that on your time off. any outdoor/rec jobs you find will barely pay for the one room shack they offer you. but if thats what you want, go for it.

Blissful
02-21-2008, 20:07
ski areas

Maybe like Snowshoe Ski area in WVa that gets a lot of snow. They are the biggest one in the Mid Atlantic, I believe.

skyspy17
02-21-2008, 20:16
Texas A and M Wildlife Dept has a fantastic seasonal job database online, many which require working outdoors! Just google them.

Appalachian Tater
02-21-2008, 20:17
Maybe you could get a higher-paying, unrelated job in a location where you can hike on the weekends rather than getting $5.85 an hour to watch everybody else having fun.

whitefoot_hp
02-21-2008, 20:20
Maybe you could get a higher-paying, unrelated job in a location where you can hike on the weekends rather than getting $5.85 an hour to watch everybody else having fun.
edzachari.

Ron Haven
02-21-2008, 20:28
So here is my situation.... I graduate about a year from now, in December 2008, but grad. school (History) doesn't start until the following August. I am planning on a thru-hike starting around April 09, but will need to find some type of work from December until then. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of somewhere I could get a job for that period of time that would keep me close to the outdoor/hiking community, I am from Ohio so east coast would be preferable, other than that I am pretty much open to anything. Thanks for any info

clongclong if you hike thru Franklin talk with me and I might have something.We are 7 miles from the trail.

The Weasel
02-21-2008, 20:31
Frankly, Washington, Philadelphia, New York and Boston are all good places to find short term employment, and each is no more than an hour or so from the AT. Richmond, smaller, is good, also.

Proably the easiest job for you to get would be as a substitute teacher. Pick the area you want to go to, and contact NOW the school districts in the area. You usually do not need teaching credentials, and depending on demand can make 50-70 bucks a day. Most districts will tell you how often you're likely to be called; some will almost guarantee you full time work, although probably not with benefits.

TW

whitefoot_hp
02-21-2008, 20:35
Frankly, Washington, Philadelphia, New York and Boston are all good places to find short term employment, and each is no more than an hour or so from the AT. Richmond, smaller, is good, also.

Proably the easiest job for you to get would be as a substitute teacher. Pick the area you want to go to, and contact NOW the school districts in the area. You usually do not need teaching credentials, and depending on demand can make 50-70 bucks a day. Most districts will tell you how often you're likely to be called; some will almost guarantee you full time work, although probably not with benefits.

TW
my girlfriend has been jumping through the hoops of substitute certification for a month or two now. you are right in your emphasis on NOW.

A-Train
02-21-2008, 20:38
my girlfriend has been jumping through the hoops of substitute certification for a month or two now. you are right in your emphasis on NOW.

Indeed, you're both right. I've been given the ole' run around for almost 2 months with beauracratic paperwork. Start early!

I'm now in the saddle, and the pay at least for the NYC DOE is closer to 150 bucks a day, however, no benefits. Still, lots of flexibility.

Almost There
02-21-2008, 20:40
Substitute teach, work the days you want, and make decent part-time money leading up to your hike.

clong
02-21-2008, 20:55
thank you everyone for your answers, I didn't think about substitute teaching but that is a good idea, I won't be fully certified to teach in a high school until after grad school but will be certified to sub after my undergraduate degree in december which would be perfect, I'm trying to find somewhere that rent would not be outrageous or if I'm lucky even part of the "job package" such as working at a camp or something like that, thanks you all

Patrickjd9
02-21-2008, 21:53
thank you everyone for your answers, I didn't think about substitute teaching but that is a good idea, I won't be fully certified to teach in a high school until after grad school but will be certified to sub after my undergraduate degree in december which would be perfect
Experience relevant to your career is important for entry-level work when you finish school.

If substitute teaching is relevant to what you want to be doing, it is far better use of your time than retail.

Sticking with a union retail job through three years of college at the expense of relevant summer experience was one of two significant mistakes I made in school.

The other was not taking four years of high school math when I knew I wanted to major in engineering:datz.

corialice81
02-21-2008, 22:11
Have you thought about colleges? I graduated from Appalachian State University in Boone, NC in August 07 and am planning on starting my NOBO on April 19, 2008. Since August, I've been working 4 different jobs to save money for my hike. I've worked at ASU teaching chemistry labs and in the bookstore. I've also found jobs working at a fish and goat farm making 8/9 hr. So...my advice...find something you like doing and is related to your field of study. The only downside to my plan was not having enough time for fun BUT I've only been saving since August SO I didn't have as much time. Oh, Boone is a great area to live in! Go 'Neers!

dctax4u
02-21-2008, 23:27
Sell Insurance. Hey it is not outdoors but it gives me enought income to play outdoors. For instance I do all of my work from the house. I get up in the mornings and go for a jog, speak with clients from 9-4 and then call it a day. Afterwards I usually go for a hike or kayak along the Potomac (Riverbend Park and Great Falls Park are close to my house in Virginia). Also, allows me to spend friday - sunday out in the Shenandoah.