PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag???

shaggy2004
01-10-2004, 20:26
:( I know this has been discussed before in here, but I was just curious about sleeping bag selection. I liked the way the last post worked on the tent question, so let's do this one something like that. What bag(s) did you thru-hikers use? Also, please mention when you started and finished (month?) and how satisfied you were with it. Thanks a lot, and sorry for the probably repetitive question. :)

uscgretired
01-10-2004, 20:55
North Face Blue Kazoo with Silk Cocoon Mummy Liner - Started at Amicalola on 21 April 03 - Ended at Hiawasse on 29 April (Section Hike). :datz

Frog
01-11-2004, 07:36
First off i just section hike. For winter hikes i use North Face Ibex -15 a bit heavy but well worth it. I also use a blue Kazoo but find it to have alot of cold spots as you have to shift the down around alot. For wet times i use a 15 degree marmot this would be my choice for a thru hike.

Peaks
01-11-2004, 10:20
Like all gear, there is no consentous on which bag is preferable. There are many fine bags used. However, there are a couple of basics.

First, some of the best advice that I heeded was to keep my cold weather gear until after Mt. Rodgers (and Memorial Day). And then to get it back before the White Mountains.

Second, down or synthetic. Although synthetic offers some loft while wet, it's still cold and unpleasant. And bags do get wet dispite all attempts to keep them dry. If from nothing else, the mist blowing in at night.

Bag choice is sometimes a matter of weight and cost (like all gear). The newer synthetics weight about the same as say 600 fill down, and cost less. Sleeping bags with a higher fill power down cost considerably more, and weight less. Some fine quality down bags include Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering.

Many people use two bags. One for the colder months, and another for the mid Atlantic states during the summer months. Others use one bag with a good liner during the colder months.

gravityman
01-12-2004, 16:12
Actually, started with EMS 0 degree bag, got the Western Mountaineering 20 deg Ultralight for my b-day in Catabaw, and this is what I am going to take on my next thru. Spendy, but worth it IMHO.

Started March 1, 2001

didn't finish :( (But watch out 2005!)

max patch
01-12-2004, 17:03
Started 5/1 and finished 10/6.

North Face Blue Kazoo (synthetic) which I think was rated 20 degrees. Had several very cold nights in the beginning (and some snow in the Smokies even at that late start date).

Would use 2 bags next thru.

Have since upgraded to down and wouldn't go back to synthetic.

chris
01-12-2004, 17:39
On the PCT I used a Western Mountaineering Highlite, which is rated to 40, along with an Integral Designs silk liner. I started May 9 and finished Aug. 21. If I finish up the AT this summer, it will be the bag that goes with me.

hungryhowie
01-13-2004, 01:01
:( I know this has been discussed before in here, but I was just curious about sleeping bag selection. I liked the way the last post worked on the tent question, so let's do this one something like that. What bag(s) did you thru-hikers use? Also, please mention when you started and finished (month?) and how satisfied you were with it. Thanks a lot, and sorry for the probably repetitive question. :)

I started March 9, 2000, on Springer and finished August 29, 2000 on Katahdin.

I used a Marmot Arroyo, a 700+fill down bag rated to +30*F. It weighed approx 1lb 12oz and was compressed into the size of a canteloupe for ~175 consecutive nights (I realize now that this was unnecessary and detrimental to its lifespan, although it performed admirably throughout the entire duration on the trail). Incidentally, Marmot has changed the Arroyo since the model year that I used. The closest design to what I used is actually the Hydrogen 900+ fill down bag rated to +30*F. It is made lighter (1lb 5oz!) by its lighter-weight fabric, half-length zipper, and higher quality down. The Hydrogen uses the same internal dimensions as my older Arroyo, whereas the new Arroyo has been expanded by several inches (and ounces).

If I were to use a commercially-made sleeping bag on my next thruhike, I wouldn't hesitate to use a high-end down Marmot bag. I would probably use one in the early spring anyway, and switch to my homemade down quilt design as early as feasible.

-Howie

-Howie

Mountain climber
01-14-2004, 14:40
I use the Mountain Hardwear 2nd Dimension +15 - Long. I used it in North Carolina last March, we had 9 inches of snow the first night I was there, and it did fine down to 10 Deg. It was a rather sudden storm but the bag worked fine. I was on Blood Mountain OCT for 5 days and it did fine then as well but it did not get as cold. I have always had down bags before this one but it has convinced me that Synthetic bags can be just as good.