PDA

View Full Version : Tuscarora Trail

dctax4u
02-21-2008, 23:38
I was looking at my PATC map this afternoon and was curious if anyone has hiked the Tuscarora Trail from Shenandoah NP to the GW Forest specifically Massanutten Mountain. The trail itself appears to link up with Matthew's arm in the SNP and meet up with Elizabeth Furnace on Massanutten. However, I cannot tell if this is a trail or really just country road. Would be interested to know if anyone has hiked this route and how long it would take.

CaseyB
02-22-2008, 02:11
Check out Trail Journals.

Hammock Hanger
02-22-2008, 10:25
I was looking at my PATC map this afternoon and was curious if anyone has hiked the Tuscarora Trail from Shenandoah NP to the GW Forest specifically Massanutten Mountain. The trail itself appears to link up with Matthew's arm in the SNP and meet up with Elizabeth Furnace on Massanutten. However, I cannot tell if this is a trail or really just country road. Would be interested to know if anyone has hiked this route and how long it would take.

Last year we hiked on the Tuscarora from the south end where it connected with the Great North Mt Trail up to Cowan's Gap SP in PA. This was a pretty nice trail, lots of nice shelters, lots of ridge walks. There are a few spots where you will have a little road walk but nothing too horrible. I think the longest stretch we did on the road was when we left the C&O trail up to the next ridge, about a half day's walk.

The trail is pretty well marked and there are maps and guidebooks. Our only issue was in last summer's drought we often had to come down off the trial ridge to find water. We could see where water was normally but no last summer.

My partner and I were suppose to finish this trail and head to the Link Trail come spring. However, due to some knee problems that has been put off.

Hammock Hanger

CaseyB
02-22-2008, 10:40
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5400

Here's e's a link to an 06 trailjournal on the Tuscarora.

ki0eh
02-22-2008, 14:05
There are definitely issues with 11 year old guidebook and maps. But it's my impression most changes in the TT have been for the better as PATC adds shelters and puts trail off roads.

Other trails have erratum pages on the web site showing changes to guides and/or maps. If PATC has one for the TT, I haven't found it. Might be worth considering. why not take credit for a decade of improvements?

(Along with printing PATC maps two-sided as others have pointed out in other threads.)

Sue, how were guidebook changes handled on your hike?

Hammock Hanger
02-22-2008, 14:22
There are definitely issues with 11 year old guidebook and maps. But it's my impression most changes in the TT have been for the better as PATC adds shelters and puts trail off roads.

Other trails have erratum pages on the web site showing changes to guides and/or maps. If PATC has one for the TT, I haven't found it. Might be worth considering. why not take credit for a decade of improvements?

(Along with printing PATC maps two-sided as others have pointed out in other threads.)

Sue, how were guidebook changes handled on your hike?

The guidebook was pretty good even if old. With the exception of a grocery store that we were suppose to pass and the trail had been re-routed. I would have to look where that was exactly. I'll get back to you.

dctax4u
02-22-2008, 14:40
CaseyB - thank you for the link, Might have to give it a try when the weather gets better

jlb2012
02-22-2008, 15:09
A couple items on PATC website: http://potomacappalachian.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=1&id=1&Itemid=2

wilconow
02-22-2008, 15:18
Massanutten and Great North Mountain are both excellent areas. The trails are well maintained by the PATC. Lot less crowded than Shenandoah.

AlwaysHiking
02-22-2008, 15:31
In that portion you do have about 4 miles on public roads. Before going though, check the water levels for Front Royal. Per the Tuscarora Trail guide, Indian Hollow Bridge is under water at 3.25'. Shenandoah water levels (http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/river.php?wfo=lwx&wfoid=18691&riverid=203560&view=1%2C1%2C1%2C1%2C1%2C1%2C1%2C1&toggles=10%2C7%2C8%2C2%2C9%2C15%2C6&pt%5B%5D=143433&allpoints=144450%2C143433&data%5B%5D=hydrograph&submit=Make+my+River+Page%21).

dctax4u
02-22-2008, 15:52
I like the trails in Massanutten for the same reason - less crowds than SNP, plus you can take the Mtn Bikes out

ki0eh
02-22-2008, 16:43
A couple items on PATC website: http://potomacappalachian.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=1&id=1&Itemid=2

Pales in comparison to the changes noted by FireBall in his journal. Although he also notes he met the PATC president on his hike - I know there's a lot on their plate, but other organizations from MSTA to NYNJTC keep comprehensive erratum lists for their publications, and FireBall certainly noted several times in his journal that would have helped.

Skyline
02-22-2008, 17:20

The Tuscarora Trail doesn't follow Mathews Arm (the land mass), tho it comes close to Mathews Arm Campground. Actually, the Mathews Arm Trail shown on PATC's North District SNP map (#9) has been abandoned (not maintained). It doesn't connect to the Thompson Hollow Rd. anymore because of private landowners.

The TT follows (westwardly, or northbound on the TT) the Overall Run Trail to a brief right on the Thompson Hollow Trail, then left to continue on the TT to US340. All of TT up to this point is on woods trails or SNP fire roads. Once on US340, the roadwalking begins. Between here and the Shenandoah River, you eventually go back into valley woods for awhile but mostly roadwalk. Then you take the low water bridge (unless the water is up) across the Shenandoah River, and roadwalk some more. Finally, you turn left back onto woods trails through the GWNF/Massanutten Mt.

If you are trying to do the whole TT, I guess you'll want to do this roadwalking. Frankly, having done it, I'll avoid it next time.. It's not much fun. And if you're not doing all of the TT and have no other reason to do the roadwalking, I'd just skip it.

There are better parts of the TT than crossing the two main valleys on roads (this one, and roadwalking/pasturewalking west of the Massanutten over to Great North Mt.). The SNP part, especially along Overall Run, is fine. So are the woods mountain trails on the Massanutten section, and Great North Mt.

The area between the two main ridges of the Massanutten, in Fort Valley near Elizabeth Furnace Campground, doesn't require much roadwalking at all. In fact the EF site makes a nice place to stop for a rest.

If the water is significantly higher than the low water bridge near Bentonville, it can be a difficult ford. In that case it is likely to be a swifter current, too. All the more reason to avoid the TT between its connection with US340 and the return to the woods in the Massanutten part of GWNF.

YMMV.

Hammock Hanger
02-22-2008, 17:22
The members of the PATC were so helpful and hospitable. I can't say enough kind words about them. Tom Johnson was extremely helpful. He has a hiker Loft about a mile off of the AT near Front Royal, most AT hikers don't know he is there but they should. His wife Sharon does shuttles and is a gourmet cook.

AlwaysHiking
02-22-2008, 18:15
Pales in comparison to the changes noted by FireBall in his journal. Although he also notes he met the PATC president on his hike - I know there's a lot on their plate, but other organizations from MSTA to NYNJTC keep comprehensive erratum lists for their publications, and FireBall certainly noted several times in his journal that would have helped.

PATC actually published a new maintenance plan in December for the TT.

http://www.acmetreadway.net/content/blogcategory/57/85/

Hopefully that's a sign that the trail guide will be updated.

I don't remember what year the version I have at home was last updated.

dctax4u
02-22-2008, 19:55
Skyline - looking at the map in more detail that is what I have the trail crosses the Matthews Arm Trail and then follows the Overall Run trailand crosses Route 628. Thank you for the guidance

ki0eh
02-22-2008, 20:12
PATC actually published a new maintenance plan in December for the TT.

http://www.acmetreadway.net/content/blogcategory/57/85/

Hopefully that's a sign that the trail guide will be updated.

Sure will be looking forward to it! Updating guides and maps is a lot of hard work - but needed to ensure the even harder work of building the fine shelters and quality treadway that are hallmarks of PATC can be appreciated...

Skyline
02-22-2008, 20:45
Skyline - looking at the map in more detail that is what I have the trail crosses the Matthews Arm Trail and then follows the Overall Run trailand crosses Route 628. Thank you for the guidance

Yes, and I should clarify that the part of Mathews Arm Trail that is not being maintained is that part which actually traverses the "Arm" from the Tuscarora Trail out to the SNP boundary and beyond to Thompson Hollow Rd.

Also, it should be noted that the Tuscarora Trail and tje Overall Run Trail run concurrently for quite a distance within the Park.

There is a part of the Mathew Arm Trail that still exists—that part which starts at the rear of the campground, and leads to both the Weddlewood and Tuscarora Trails.

Route Step
02-22-2008, 21:31
I bought the Tuscarora guidebooks and maps a few weeks ago. I plan on hiking it this year. I think I will start in the north and go south, but will have to make a 12 or 15 mile detour at Green Valley Rd to Col Denning State Park because land owners have posted their property No Trespassing.

CaseyB
02-23-2008, 03:08
I bought the Tuscarora guidebooks and maps a few weeks ago. I plan on hiking it this year. I think I will start in the north and go south, but will have to make a 12 or 15 mile detour at Green Valley Rd to Col Denning State Park because land owners have posted their property No Trespassing.
Please post a TJ if you can. If not during then after. Tuscarora and Allegheney are worthy of more attention and traffic, I think. Somebody with a bike or canoe could make a bad-ass figure 8. C & O path as connector.