PDA

View Full Version : dry/powdered tooth paste

mark schofield
02-22-2008, 09:01
Rather than bring along a small tube of regular paste; any suggestions on a dry type that might, for the same weight, last longer? brand names welcomed. Thanks, Mark S.

Monkeyboy
02-22-2008, 09:31
It's called SALT.

:)

Just kidding, but you can use salt as an alternative if you run out of toothpaste. I just wouldn't do it on a regular basis, but is excellent at polishing teeth periodically.

rafe
02-22-2008, 09:39
Baking soda works also...

Micky
02-22-2008, 09:40
You can use baking soda. if you can handle the taste.

Smile
02-22-2008, 10:37
A little baggie with baking soda mixed with a drop or two of peppermint extract or oil would work. Be sure it's an edible oil, and not some "aromatherapy" fragrant oil which are not good to eat. :)

Pennsylvania Rose
02-22-2008, 10:42
Brushing with baking soda takes me back to childhood...my mom would make me brush with baking soda and peroxide every now and then to whiten my teeth (she was way ahead of Crest and Colgate). She also made me soak my elbows in lemon juice periodically. Now I'm totally self-conscious about the color of my teeth and scalyness of my elbows.

Appalachian Tater
02-22-2008, 11:00
Scaly elbows are indeed unattractive. Your mother was onto something.

walkinfool
02-22-2008, 11:06
I've been using baking soda for at least 4 months now, trying to get used to it before my thru. I went to my dentist for a cleaning last week and they said my teeth looked great and there was hardly any plaque, so it seems to work really well. I like it better, anyway...too many chemicals in toothpaste.

wrongway_08
02-22-2008, 11:09

:-? Have you ever checked out someones elbow.... and thought damn, he/she would be a knockout...... if it werent for those ratty ass elbows??????:D........I dont remember ever even noticing elbows at all.....:D

Appalachian Tater
02-22-2008, 11:18
:-? Have you ever checked out someones elbow.... and thought damn, he/she would be a knockout...... if it werent for those ratty ass elbows??????:D........I dont remember ever even noticing elbows at all.....:D

That's always the first thing I check out, it's a good proxy for their general hygiene. And I have a feeling this is something you'll be paying more attention to in the future!

vonfrick
02-22-2008, 11:45
i was checking out toothpowder the other day, and it IS baking soda, with a lot of other crap thrown in. i brought baking soda with me last year and i'm sticking with it as it doubles as deodorant. only downside is there's no fluoride ion.

Pennsylvania Rose
02-22-2008, 11:49

:-? Have you ever checked out someones elbow.... and thought damn, he/she would be a knockout...... if it werent for those ratty ass elbows??????:D

That's always the first thing I check out, it's a good proxy for their general hygiene. And I have a feeling this is something you'll be paying more attention to in the future!

:datzto you all!!! Now that I know my mother was right, people really do notice my horrendous elbows, I'm going to need counseling to overcome my poor body image :):):) I can't imagine what you're saying about my knees behind my back...

DesertMTB
02-22-2008, 11:53
Toothpaste drops in a food dehydrator

mudhead
02-22-2008, 12:11
:datzto you all!!! Now that I know my mother was right, people really do notice my horrendous elbows, I'm going to need counseling to overcome my poor body image :):):) I can't imagine what you're saying about my knees behind my back...

Just smile.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/scat.jsp?sc=Toothpaste+%26+Tooth+Powder&num_pages=8&q=&l=&pt=&b=&d=&pr=&k=&u=&ist=Powder

vonfrick
02-22-2008, 12:22
Just smile.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/scat.jsp?sc=Toothpaste+%26+Tooth+Powder&num_pages=8&q=&l=&pt=&b=&d=&pr=&k=&u=&ist=Powder

yeah, that's the stuff i saw. its baking soda. they also throw in some tartaric acid and a few carbonates to make it fizz, so you think it's working i guess. i can't see spending 6 bucks for baking soda. i really actually like the idea of dehydrating regular toothpaste- at least you get the fluoride ion.

rhjanes
02-22-2008, 12:37
baking soda with a pinch of salt. My great grandparents (and probably yours) used it.

kytrailman
02-22-2008, 12:54
someone on BPL put drops og toothpaste on a strip of wax paper and dried in a dehydrator. Just add water they say. The thread also said it sould be done the same way by laying it on your dashboard in the sun. Let me know if it works!!!

vonfrick
02-22-2008, 13:49
someone on BPL put drops og toothpaste on a strip of wax paper and dried in a dehydrator. Just add water they say. The thread also said it sould be done the same way by laying it on your dashboard in the sun. Let me know if it works!!!

doing it right now...

dessertrat
02-22-2008, 14:01
Just take a little travel tube of toothpaste with you. It weighs all of 1 or 2 ounces?

jesse
02-22-2008, 14:44
Just take a little travel tube of toothpaste with you. It weighs all of 1 or 2 ounces?

really. the only reason to use an alternative would be if you prefer that to toothpaste. As a weight saver, not worth it.

The Weasel
02-22-2008, 14:46
Rather than bring along a small tube of regular paste; any suggestions on a dry type that might, for the same weight, last longer? brand names welcomed. Thanks, Mark S.

Tom's. Available at Whole Earth and similar stores.

TW

highway
02-22-2008, 15:33

tastes great, lightweight

NICKTHEGREEK
02-22-2008, 15:52
Teeth are hard to come by after you abuse the factory originals. Save the molars not the oz's bring plenty of floss and toothpaste and use it- yes on a brush.

sb5walker
02-22-2008, 16:38
I've been lurking here for a number of months, mainly doing a lot of reading to educate myself and I'm very impressed with the remarkable store of wisdom, trail- and otherwise, that can be found here. I haven't felt I had much to offer but this thread may be an exception. There is a great tooth powder formula that came from the Cayce readings and is sold by the Heritage Store in Virginia Beach. It's called Ibsab Tooth Powder and it contains salt, baking soda, prickly ash bark and peppermint oil. Prickly ash bark was used by many Native Americans who called it "toothache bark". This stuff is great. The taste takes a little getting used to but it leaves your mouth feeling very clean and tingly, is good for the breath, and best of all when you spit it out it's natural ingredients disappear harmlessly into the soil and don't leave an unsightly white spot. Also it's very light. I always carry some in a film canister (getting harder to find those) but any small plastic container will do.

http://www.caycecures.com/Catalog/catalog/ipsabtoothpowder.htm

Thanks to all of you who have created what is hands down the best collection of trail knowledge and wisdom on the net.

highway
02-22-2008, 16:43
Another possibility occurred to me. When the dentist last cleaned my teeth he gave me a small head, soft tooth brush and a small tube of tooth paste. Consider asking your dentist for a "handout":D

Lone Wolf
02-22-2008, 16:44
http://www.google.com/products?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=powdered+toothpaste&um=1

rafe
02-22-2008, 16:46
Another possibility occurred to me. When the dentist last cleaned my teeth he gave me a small head, soft tooth brush and a small tube of tooth paste. Consider asking your dentist for a "handout":D

A lot of chain drugstores have a "sampler size" section where you can get those tiny (1 oz, 2 oz) tubes of toothpaste. Also good for sun block and similar "personal care" items. Linens & Things and Bed & Bath also have such sections.

theinfamousj
04-07-2008, 21:41
I take baking soda (because I mostly hike in bear country), however I've had a tube of fluoride gel sitting around ever since I wore braces. Aside from the fact that all of the fluoride is probably worthless at this point due to how many years over its expiration date it is, I'm going to try dehydrating fluoride drops for brushing in the morning. I wonder if I can powder dehydrated fluoride gel drops to add to the baking soda.

sofaking
04-07-2008, 21:47

what are your knees doing behind your back?:eek::clap

sofaking
04-07-2008, 21:52
I've been lurking here for a number of months, mainly doing a lot of reading to educate myself and I'm very impressed with the remarkable store of wisdom, trail- and otherwise, that can be found here. I haven't felt I had much to offer but this thread may be an exception. There is a great tooth powder formula that came from the Cayce readings and is sold by the Heritage Store in Virginia Beach. It's called Ibsab Tooth Powder and it contains salt, baking soda, prickly ash bark and peppermint oil. Prickly ash bark was used by many Native Americans who called it "toothache bark". This stuff is great. The taste takes a little getting used to but it leaves your mouth feeling very clean and tingly, is good for the breath, and best of all when you spit it out it's natural ingredients disappear harmlessly into the soil and don't leave an unsightly white spot. Also it's very light. I always carry some in a film canister (getting harder to find those) but any small plastic container will do.

Thanks to all of you who have created what is hands down the best collection of trail knowledge and wisdom on the net.
it's been recommended to not reuse film containers for edidles. the film apparently leaves behind traces of heavy metals and other not so good toxins in the plastic.

Montego
04-07-2008, 21:55

Welcome to WhiteBlaze sb5walker :welcome. Yep, a lot of great info here, enjoy and add what you can.

Appalachian Tater
04-08-2008, 18:20
Most people use too much toothpaste. You only need a little dab the size of a pea. Not a baby pea, but a regular pea. A tiny travel tube should last for weeks.

Drying it out only proves you are an obsessive-compulsive gram weenie. A mouthful of water weighs more, or a bite of a candy bar.

mkmangold
04-08-2008, 19:41
Most people use too much toothpaste. You only need a little dab the size of a pea. Not a baby pea, but a regular pea. A tiny travel tube should last for weeks.

Drying it out only proves you are an obsessive-compulsive gram weenie. A mouthful of water weighs more, or a bite of a candy bar.

Tater: I will NOT brush my teeth with a candy bar! Well, mayber if I dehydrated it first...

I like the idea, though, of multi-use so salt sounds good. But how can we get that elusive "fluoride ion" in it??

mkmangold
04-08-2008, 19:52
This reminds me of an idea I had a few years ago. Soap is traditionally made from sodium hydroxide (lye). Sodium is a positive ion with a charge of one; hydroxide is a negative one. Could a soap be made from calcium fluoride (CaF2)? Add a little aromatic oil and voila: a soap that can also be used for dental hygiene. I think you would get the calcium to reconstitute enamel and the fluoride to prevent decay.
Can this be done? Can anyone do this?

Appalachian Tater
04-08-2008, 20:57
Tom's of Maine uses calcium fluoride instead of other forms of fluoride.

Johnny Swank
04-09-2008, 09:06
A 1-ounce tube of toothpaste lasts me at least a month on the trail. Simple, cheap, and easy.

I used to carry toothpowder, but it was more of a pain than it was worth.

atraildreamer
04-09-2008, 12:46
[quote=Pennsylvania Rose;545854]Brushing with baking soda takes me back to childhood...my mom would make me brush with baking soda and peroxide... /quote]

I tried this when I had a cavity devloping and was short of $$$ for a dentist. I brushed the affected area with baking soda and gargled with peroxide straight out of the bottle (don't swallow!:eek:) making sure the peroxide hit the cavity. After a few days, the pain stopped.

I don't recommend not going to the dentist, but as an emergency procedure, it might help.

johnny quest
04-09-2008, 13:08
really. the only reason to use an alternative would be if you prefer that to toothpaste. As a weight saver, not worth it.

not true not true! i carry baking soda for its swiss army potential, meaning its good for all kinds of things. Add to water to soak dried beans to make them more digestible.
Add to water to remove the "gamey" taste from wild game.
Use to sweeten sour sweatrags
Use soda as an underarm deodorant.
If you spill food on your gear or clothes, moisten a cloth, dip it in baking soda and dab at the stain. The odor will go away.
Along the same lines, to remove strong odors from your hands, wet your hands and rub them hard with soda, then rinse.
Take 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 1/2 glass of water to relieve acid indigestion or heartburn.
Gargle with 1/2 tsp. baking soda in 1/2 glass of water. Freshens and cleans your mouth.
Used as a mouthwash, baking soda will also relieve canker sore pain.
To relieve sunburn or windburn: use a paste of baking soda and water.
Bug bites and beestings: use a poultice of baking soda and vinegar.
Sprinkle baking soda on your wet toothbrush and brush your teeth and dentures with it.
Sprinkle soda in boots, gofasters and slippers to eliminate odor.
Take a soda bath to relieve general skin irritations such crotchrot, junglerot, diaper rash or the fungusamungus
To remove burned-on food from a pan: let the pan soak in soda and water for 10 minutes before washing. Or scrub the pot with dry soda and a moist scouring pad.
For a badly-burned pan with a thick layer of burned-on food: pour a thick layer of soda directly onto the bottom of the pan, then sprinkle on just enough water so as to moisten the soda. Leave the pot overnight, then scrub it clean next day.
Clean combs and brushes in a soda solution.
Wash food and drink containers with soda and water.
Baking soda can be used to put out a cooking-fire-gone-wrong. It won't damage anything it touches. it will also put out fires in clothing, fuel, wood, and gear.
Clean vegetables and fruit with baking soda. Sprinkle in water, soak and rise the produce.

theinfamousj
04-10-2008, 16:40
This reminds me of an idea I had a few years ago. Soap is traditionally made from sodium hydroxide (lye). Sodium is a positive ion with a charge of one; hydroxide is a negative one. Could a soap be made from calcium fluoride (CaF2)? Add a little aromatic oil and voila: a soap that can also be used for dental hygiene. I think you would get the calcium to reconstitute enamel and the fluoride to prevent decay.
Can this be done? Can anyone do this?

What you like about the soap is the hydroxide (HO-) part. So while you can make calcium fluoride (CaF2), it won't be "soap" per se.

Since fluorine is the most electronegative element, making the chemical shouldn't be too hard. That is if you can't just order it from Flinn Scientific (very reasonable rates) as is.

The question is: Would your body be able to use it in that form? Any MDs out there?

Lanthar Mandragoran
04-11-2008, 16:56
Dry Toothpaste = Eco-DenT DailyCare & SpecialCare Toothpowders (http://www.eco-dent.com/dailycare-specialcare-toothpowders.htm)

It's what I use daily at home.

tina.anderson
04-15-2008, 13:13
Baking soda is very effective but not pleasant on the taste buds of course. I have been using it for the past few years.