PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for 3-day hike on southern AT

flagator
02-22-2008, 12:02
Hey all. I am planning a hike the second week of March. I have done some sections from Amicalola through Unicoi in my last visits. I do know that a bunch of thru-hikers will be beginning the first of March. So to beat a little bit of that traffic I wanted to go a bit farther north. How far do you think a swarm of thru-hikers will be about March 6thish. Im not sure how many there would be and if it would be that many people to even worry about. I prefer to stay in shelters but I always have my tent with me and did not want to take a thru-hikers spot. If you had just three days, what section would you do that was from say... Tray Mountain to Fontana Dam? any section that is around 35-45 miles. I know there arent that many options to shoose from in that 100 miles of trail but I live in Jax and to me its not worth driving too much more north for just a few days. Thanks in advance

Lone Wolf
02-22-2008, 12:06
I prefer to stay in shelters but I always have my tent with me and did not want to take a thru-hikers spot.

there is absolutely no such thing as a "thru-hikers spot" in any shelter. first come, first served. :)

flagator
02-22-2008, 12:10
Well I know that, but its common courtesy, no?

max patch
02-22-2008, 12:11

nope. first come, first served.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2008, 12:13

why? what the hell makes a potential "thru-hiker" so special? if anything they should tent/hammock/ tarp and leave the shelters for others

flagator
02-22-2008, 12:14
I'll still feel bad, but I will take yoiur advice. So how about crowds that time of year, is there truly a thru-hike rush? And any particular segment you recmmend in that 100 mile section I named? Im willing to go a bit farther north if need be

Lone Wolf
02-22-2008, 12:15
to answer your question, i would do dicks creek gap to winding stair gap

flagator
02-22-2008, 12:17
Thanks a lot L. Wolf.

Snowbird 2004
02-22-2008, 12:21
FlaGator, Look at driving 10 miles west of Franklin, NC. Park your car at Standing Indian campground. Take the "Kimsey Creek" trail about 4 miles to the AT at Deep Gap NC. Turn north for about 20 miles and come out at "Rock Gap" shelter. Then jog 1.3 miles sans pack down a paved road to get your car. Lots of shelters,water, Privi's and bluff walking. Great three day hike in one vehicle.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2008, 12:22
I'll still feel bad, but I will take yoiur advice.

dude, seriously, "thru-hikers" are no different than you except they'll be in more of a rush and most of them will be going home shortly. enjoy you your section and the shelters :)

Thoughtful Owl
02-22-2008, 12:30
dude, seriously, "thru-hikers" are no different than you except they'll be in more of a rush and most of them will be going home shortly. enjoy you your section and the shelters :)

LW, thanks for your sentiments. Although I don't stay in shelters except for a vary rare occassion when there is extreame weather conditions, I have always felt like a second class hiker when on the AT and throughs were around. If I am the only one out there or hiking with other sectionsers I don't feel this way. Again, thanks!

Gray Blazer
02-22-2008, 12:33
Both of the above are good suggestions and about the closest to Jax. Another suggestion would be from Rock Gap near Franklin to the NOC at Wesser, a little over 30 miles. A couple of towers and a walk thru the Nantahalas. Nice view of Clingman's Dome from Wesser Bald. A lot of good camping spots, 2 of my favorites, Rocky Bald and Silers Bald. Dicks Creek Gap is a safe place to leave your car. I have left my car at Rock Gap several times as do many others. I think it's pretty safe there as well.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2008, 12:34
I have always felt like a second class hiker when on the AT and throughs were around. If I am the only one out there or hiking with other sectionsers I don't feel this way.

you should never feel that way. most of them won't make it or go backpacking again but you'll be out there year after year.

Kirby
02-22-2008, 13:22
There was one thru hiker this past summer I met who clearly thought he was holier than thou.

It was funny though, at spots where I sat for 1-2 hours, they blazed right by.

Kirby

eventidecu
02-22-2008, 14:14
I've done that loop from Standing Indian several times with my daughter. It's a great loop that was about 28 miles I think. Water is good at anytime of the year and I've never filtered one drop there. Nice camp spot at summit of Standing Indian. Albert Mnt is a nice challenge ( boulder climb ) with a fire tower reward. Then the last 5 miles or so is pretty much down hill so bring a knee brace if you need one. Great one car hike. You come out less than a mile from where you park / start. I always park in the camp ground by the amphitheater / bathroom where you start up Kimsey Tr. Cost 2.00 a day to park but worth it knowing your stuff is safe. Plenty of bail out trails that come directly back to the camp ground if you need to bail.

Tennessee Viking
02-22-2008, 14:56
Hey all. I am planning a hike the second week of March. I have done some sections from Amicalola through Unicoi in my last visits. I do know that a bunch of thru-hikers will be beginning the first of March. So to beat a little bit of that traffic I wanted to go a bit farther north. How far do you think a swarm of thru-hikers will be about March 6thish. Im not sure how many there would be and if it would be that many people to even worry about. I prefer to stay in shelters but I always have my tent with me and did not want to take a thru-hikers spot. If you had just three days, what section would you do that was from say... Tray Mountain to Fontana Dam? any section that is around 35-45 miles. I know there arent that many options to shoose from in that 100 miles of trail but I live in Jax and to me its not worth driving too much more north for just a few days. Thanks in advance
The main pack wont start until mid to late march. You will

Go for Iron Mtn Gap on TN107 to 19E.
One night at Cylde Smith then up Roan. Stay at Roan High Knob. Then down to the Barn, and out at 19E.
Clyde Smith is the smallest of the shelters. But a few camping opps around.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2008, 15:06
The main pack wont start until mid to late march. You will

Go for Iron Mtn Gap on TN107 to 19E.
One night at Cylde Smith then up Roan. Stay at Roan High Knob. Then down to the Barn, and out at 19E.
Clyde Smith is the smallest of the shelters. But a few camping opps around.

he's not looking to hike further north than fontana dam

Gray Blazer
02-22-2008, 15:17
I feel the same way when I drive up from G'ville that I want to get on the trail fast and N GA is pretty fast if you come up I-75. However, if you come up I-95, cut over to Columbia, SC and then straight north to Asheville, It's about the same length of time and you have more options. Davenport Gap and Max Patch are less than an hour from Asheville as is Sam's Gap, Spivey Gap, Devil's Fork Gap and Allen Gap.

Blissful
02-22-2008, 15:25
LW, thanks for your sentiments. Although I don't stay in shelters except for a vary rare occassion when there is extreame weather conditions, I have always felt like a second class hiker when on the AT and throughs were around. If I am the only one out there or hiking with other sectionsers I don't feel this way. Again, thanks!

Sectioners should get way more support - they go out there time and time again, doing it the hardest way, never getting true trail legs, having to go through all the hurt and pain of reconditioning all the time. Much tougher to complete the AT like this, IMO. Esp when it gets tough up north.

Would those who have done the whole AT by section hiking only please stand up? I'd love to know who they are (I know Terrapin finished just last year)

Summit
02-22-2008, 15:37
I would almost recommend snowbird's suggestion, 'cause I've done that before. The better way to do the same stretch is park your car at the backcountry parking just past Standing Indian Campground. Go across the road up Long Branch Trail. In 2 mi. you will hit the AT . . . turn right and hike to Deep Gap (over Albert and Standing Indian Mtns.) From Deep Gap take the Kimsey Creek Trail down about 4 mi. (beautiful streams) to and thru Standing Indian Campground back to your car. In all, it's about 24 miles.

There's a real nice camping spot up Long Branch Trail - clearing with creek beside it. If you get in (drive) late to the trailhead, I have night-hiked to this clearing with a headlamp. That was a blast. The trail follows a stream all the way, so no need to start out carrying water.

Have fun!

Newb
02-22-2008, 15:39
When I was on the trail last year I spent a lot of time answering questions for thrus. I mentored one fellow for several days who had started the trail with way too much equipment and need some schooling. I ran in to some of the folks I met later at Trail Days. I never felt like a second class citizen and refuse to feel that way. The trail is for all of us, and I put my money where my mouth is with annual donations to the ATC and the PATC.

Summit
02-22-2008, 15:50
My second choice for you would be Rock Gap to NOC as someone else suggested, and third choice (suggestion) would be NOC to Fontana Dam, about 32 miles. Both of these, however, require dealing with transportation from one end to the other, whereas the "Standing Indian Loop" mentioned above does not.

BTW, Long Branch hits the AT at Glassmine Gap (forgot to include that), and if you want to add some mileage, about 1/2 mile S. of Carter Gap is the Timber Ridge Trail (2.3 mi. to USFS 67 - same road your car would be parked on), with nice stream camping near the end of the trail (road).

Summit
02-22-2008, 15:56
I always park in the camp ground by the amphitheater / bathroom where you start up Kimsey Tr. Cost 2.00 a day to park but worth it knowing your stuff is safe. Plenty of bail out trails that come directly back to the camp ground if you need to bail.The variation I suggested avoids the dull, dry stretch from Glassmine Gap to Rock Gap, adding the beautiful Long Branch Trail, and no paved road walking back to your car. Also, the backcountry parking area right there at Long Branch Trailhead is free and considered a safe place to park - at least I've never had a problem parking for several days at a time there.

max patch
02-22-2008, 15:58
The better way to do the same stretch is park your car at the backcountry parking just past Standing Indian Campground.

Safer to park INSIDE the campground as someone suggested earlier.

Summit
02-22-2008, 16:20
Safer to park INSIDE the campground as someone suggested earlier.Maybe, maybe not. Lots of kids running around, into all sorts of mischief in the campground. I've parked for several days at the backcountry parking on several occasions, with zero incidents. But, not to argue the point, if $2/day inside the campground boundaries makes one feel more secure, go for it! ;)