PDA

View Full Version : Leg Cramps

Fastforward
02-22-2008, 12:22
Would someone please explain leg cramps? Why after strenuous exercise do I have the leg cramps at night? Is there something I can include in my diet to prevent cramping? Will they abate with further conditioning.

Thank you

Survivor Dave
02-22-2008, 12:28
I am not a doctor, but in my experience, it is a build up of lactic acid in the muscles. I get them less often now as HYDRATION is key. The first few nights on Trail after not excercizing usually is the culprit.

SD

Would someone please explain leg cramps? Why after strenuous exercise do I have the leg cramps at night? Is there something I can include in my diet to prevent cramping? Will they abate with further conditioning.

Thank you

DesertMTB
02-22-2008, 12:28
You need to potassium!

I get that all the time from mountain biking. I'm usually too lazy to eat the right things during and after a ride.

Also, drinking a bottle of a sport's drink will help.

Survivor Dave
02-22-2008, 12:37
Thanks for the correction Desert.

You need to potassium!

I get that all the time from mountain biking. I'm usually too lazy to eat the right things during and after a ride.

Also, drinking a bottle of a sport's drink will help.

envirodiver
02-22-2008, 13:19
Increase electrolyte intake. The key is pre-hydrating, to get very well hydrated prior to using up a bunch of fluids. Once you get behind the hydration curve it's hard to catch up.

tazie
02-22-2008, 13:24
yep, good advice from everyone. What helped me was making sure to stay well-hydrated and increased potassium intake- especially bananas, dried apricots and potatoes. A good daily multi-vitamin, too. Good luck.

Appalachian Tater
02-22-2008, 13:29
Here's a good overview on the subject:

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/healthy_living/lifestyle/exercise/running/cramps.html

Pennsylvania Rose
02-22-2008, 13:32
In addition, stretch your calves every time you stop.

GratefulHike
02-22-2008, 14:17
I find that if you can just drink more rum the cramps don't hurt as bad.

Purple
02-22-2008, 15:22
do you take Bextra or Advair?

Wags
02-22-2008, 15:52
i know before all my sports my whole life i ate a banana to help with cramping...
i also 2nd the gatoraid or sports drink idea

Phreak
02-22-2008, 16:00
Try Endurolytes. You'll never have leg cramps again.

Miles
02-22-2008, 16:08
i know before all my sports my whole life i ate a banana to help with cramping...
i also 2nd the gatoraid or sports drink idea

It is true. According to the doctors that do blood work during Trail Days, long distance hikers are typically potassium deficient. Drink water, stretch, try to rest, and eat a few bannanas. :o

Fastforward
02-22-2008, 16:33
Thank you to everyone who provided such excellent feedback

WILLIAM HAYES
02-22-2008, 18:13
stretch everytime you stop as u hike - drink gator aid -I use the powdered form- and keep one nalgene bottle full of gator aid all the time-drink water-stretch at nite before u turn in and when u get up in the morning-don't get behind the power curve with your water intake if your urine is clear you are hydrating correctly-The first ime I set foot on the AT I did a 16 mile day trying to keep with a more experienced hike-I thought I was hydrating properly=long story short I spent two days at Mission ST Joes Hospital in Ashville almost totally dehydrated lesson learned when u cramp up you body is talking to u-drik plenty of water and camel up when you filter water

Hillbilly

Hooch
02-22-2008, 18:31
It is true. According to the doctors that do blood work during Trail Days, long distance hikers are typically potassium deficient. Drink water, stretch, try to rest, and eat a few bannanas. :oThe docs are right. I'm no doctor, but I am a nurse and know this: cramps in the legs or otherwise may or may not be caused by a potassium deficiency (hypokalemia). When you experience leg cramps, it's not a bad idea to add some higher potassium foods to your diet if at all possible. For hikers, that means goodies like bananas, oranges, dates, raisins, almonds, peanuts, white beans, etc. Electrolyte replacement drinks like Gatorade, Powerade and Gookinaid aren't a bad idea, either. There is an excellent list of high potassiums foods here (http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm). Although there are a ton of the foodstuffs on this list that aren't practical to carry while hiking, your time in town is a great place to load up on all the kids of things that your trail diet may be lacking, including replacing depleted potassium. To help cramps on the trail, stretch, stretch, and stretch some more. And that's all I got to say about that. :D

Survivor Dave
02-22-2008, 19:01
Thanks for that Hooch.

Speaking of bananas, I enjoy the Trader Joes Nothing but Bananas...Flattened. The 4.4 oz. package is only $0.99 here in Atlanta. According to the nutritionist at corporate headquarters, each ounce has 1000 mg. of potassium. That's about 40% of the RDA. Not bad.

They are addictive. The pack has about 540 calories. It says there are 6 servings(20 grams/serving, about 3/4 oz.) at 90 cal. per serving.

Sure would make oatmeal taste better..........

The docs are right. I'm no doctor, but I am a nurse and know this: cramps in the legs or otherwise may or may not be caused by a potassium deficiency (hypokalemia). When you experience leg cramps, it's not a bad idea to add some higher potassium foods to your diet if at all possible. For hikers, that means goodies like bananas, oranges, dates, raisins, almonds, peanuts, white beans, etc. Electrolyte replacement drinks like Gatorade, Powerade and Gookinaid aren't a bad idea, either. There is an excellent list of high potassiums foods here (http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm). Although there are a ton of the foodstuffs on this list that aren't practical to carry while hiking, your time in town is a great place to load up on all the kids of things that your trail diet may be lacking, including replacing depleted potassium. To help cramps on the trail, stretch, stretch, and stretch some more. And that's all I got to say about that. :D

Hooch
02-22-2008, 19:03
Thanks for that Hooch.

Speaking of bananas, I enjoy the Trader Joes Nothing but Bananas...Flattened. The 4.4 oz. package is only $0.99 here in Atlanta. According to the nutritionist at corporate headquarters, each ounce has 1000 mg. of potassium. That's about 40% of the RDA. Not bad.

They are addictive. The pack has about 540 calories. It says there are 6 servings(20 grams/serving, about 3/4 oz.) at 90 cal. per serving.

Sure would make oatmeal taste better..........Anytime, SD and gang. :D

Footslogger
02-22-2008, 20:49
The big problem is that many athletes/hikers attempt to deal with this problem AFTER it happens.

A cramp (contraction or spasm) in a muscle occurs most often due to the combination of overuse and a deficiency of some sort (either simply hydration or an electrolyte shortage/imbalance).

The trick is to stretch before and after exertion, staying well hydrated and maintaining adequate levels of electrolytes to offset what is being lost due to metabolism and perspiration.

'Slogger

desdemona
02-23-2008, 17:03
The electrolyte replacement drink I like most is called "ElectroMix" by Alacer. Sadly they lost the packets with the teeny spoons and have you mixing by the liter. It is low sodium, so if it were really hot you'd need to add a pinch of salt. It has a nice mild lemon lime taste (adult palatte here) and no sugar. The packets are very light (probably weighing close to nothing each). It has a rather refreshing taste. It is about $8 for a box of large no. of packets. Some health food stores sell it by the single packet so you could try it cheap.

--des

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 17:22
Stretch. Before, after, during. Even if you're not hiking/working out.
Stretch everything starting with lower back then quads and work your way to your extremities.
You'll likely get rid of post workout cramps. During? Plenty of potassium, fluid and electrolytes.

fiddlehead
02-23-2008, 22:35
I get them too. Really bad ones. I've tried many of the above remedies and finally found something that works for me: Magnesium tabs! It's the only thing that seems to work for me.
I know the problem is hydration related as i get them worse when i have a hangover after a strenous day of running more than usual or hiking far. I spent a lot of money on gatorade before learning about these magnesium tabs. (and bananas or potassium tabs never did the job for me either)

Wags
02-24-2008, 03:12
here's some info from people much smarter than me

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/what-are-cramps.shtml

http://menshealth.about.com/od/conditions/a/cramp.htm?once=true&

the 2nd article gives an idea not mentioned (sleeping not so snug)

Sly
02-24-2008, 03:19
It's nice, light and convenient but does Propel powder help at all, or is it hype?

budforester
02-24-2008, 09:34

Thank you

Maybe refer back to this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30973&highlight=low+sodium+leg+cramps), too. I receivel lots of good advice.

Frau
02-24-2008, 10:12
Not only am I troubled by leg cramps, I also have occasional cramps in my torso muscles, front back and sides. For a while it seemed like adding bananas to my diet helped, then I discovered that I was not adequatly hydrating. BUT, I still get cramping, just less often. I have read the link to Endurolytes and the post about magnesium tabs. The mustard didn't work.

I already take multi-vits, B12, D and calcium everyday (because of my gastric bypass). I am wondering if the bypass is sending what vits I do take through my system too quickly.....The surgical program I used provides lifetime nutritional support. An email to them might help with this problem.

Does anyone else get cramps in torso muscles?

Frau

budforester
02-24-2008, 12:32
Not only am I troubled by leg cramps, I also have occasional cramps in my torso muscles, front back and sides. For a while it seemed like adding bananas to my diet helped, then I discovered that I was not adequatly hydrating. BUT, I still get cramping, just less often. I have read the link to Endurolytes and the post about magnesium tabs. The mustard didn't work.

I already take multi-vits, B12, D and calcium everyday (because of my gastric bypass). I am wondering if the bypass is sending what vits I do take through my system too quickly.....The surgical program I used provides lifetime nutritional support. An email to them might help with this problem.

Does anyone else get cramps in torso muscles?

Frau

My only cramps have been leg and foot muscles, usually in the calf.

Your suspicion of an absorption problem for vitamins and minerals is certainly a possibility... tablets or capsules may need more "stomaching" to release their contents. Yes, check with your nutritional- support resource. You may get some input, too, from drug company or pharmacist. They may suggest taking a syrup or powdered form or adjusting time of dose to help. Your physician may have some suggestions.

Hooch
02-24-2008, 12:54
It's nice, light and convenient but does Propel powder help at all, or is it hype?I like to carry Propel powder with me for a change from plain water once in a while (I like the lemon flavor), but as far as electrolytes (Na, K, Mg, Ca, Cl, PO4 and HCO3) go, they don't contain significant amounts, if any. Propel does contain vitamins, and one new formula of it does have calcium. However, in as much as overall electrolyte replacement in concerned, look elsewhere. Definitely tasty stuff, but not a good electrolyte source at all.

tina.anderson
03-05-2008, 15:15
Sports drinks that replace electrolytes can often help leg cramps, but I have found that a glass of water before, during and then after exercise, along with adequate stretching, can really help to prevent leg cramps.

Neurosis
03-05-2008, 15:19
Bananas, Rasians, Spinach!! Potassium!!!!!

MoBill122
03-05-2008, 19:12
Mustard For years coaches have given mustard to their athletes with leg cramps. Cramps are sometimes caused by a deficiency in acetylcholine, the neurotransmitter that stimulates your muscles to work. Mustard has acetic acid, which helps the body make more acetylcholine. Take a spoonful or two of mustard.

DGG
03-05-2008, 23:39
You don't take Lipitor or another statin to control cholesterol, do you? I did, and I learned that leg cramps & muscle weakness are a well-documented side effect in some people. I'm off statins now & the cramps are gone. My cholesterol level is another story. Cheers, Dennis