PDA

View Full Version : Dog Safety Issue

MamaCat
02-22-2008, 12:46
Hi All,

I ran across an interesting issue while on a trip to do some maintenance on my section. I came across a couple with a dog on a leash and usually I pet the critters, but they said not to because the dog was not so friendly. I talked to them for a while -- come to find out the dog was a rescued greyhound still learning his manners.

Anyway, the interesting part of this is that the greyhound would attack other dogs running up to it. So, they were being responsible for keeping their dog under control and on a lease but the other dogs running up to it w/o leases may have been at risk for an attack. I warned several others coming up trail w/o leashes about it because I knew they would be turning around and coming back. But it was an interesting take, that even though a person's dog is sweet and wouldn't hurt nothing that being off leash was putting them in danger.

I'm still not sure what I think about this -- was the dangerous dog's owner irresponsible for just having him in the environment? Are the non-dangerous dog's owners irresponsible for no leash? Anyway, thought I'd post about a different angle on safety from other dogs.

Appalachian Tater
02-22-2008, 12:49
I'm still not sure what I think about this -- was the dangerous dog's owner irresponsible for just having him in the environment? Are the non-dangerous dog's owners irresponsible for no leash?

Definitely the latter. Even if a dog is under voice-control, other people can't tell that by looking. The "dangerous" dog's owners have him under their leashed control, he won't hurt any other dog that is also controlled.

mudhead
02-22-2008, 12:51
This is a good issue to bring up.
Wise to ask.

Don't feel poorly when it turns into a hissy fit.

Ashman
02-22-2008, 14:30
Greyhound owner was being responsble. The dog won't leanr manners until it is given a chance to learn them. Not right to coop him up. The owner's dog who lets them roam free do so at their peril. They are the ones not doing what they are supposed to. When I am walking my dog, I never let her approach another dog. I tell my kids, all dogs are unfriendly until their owners tell you otherwise and give you permission to pet them

wrongway_08
02-22-2008, 14:47
Grayhound owner is doing the correct thing.

I had a dog that was a rescue and really mean. Was out hiking and of course he was on a leash. I was hiking around a group of people I didnt know) and just let them know not to pet him - they were fine with my dog.
Problem came up when a lady came hiking onto the rocks (we were climbing across a "ledge") with her dog off the leash - the other people told her to leash the dog cause they didnt want it loose, she didnt and her dog went to say hi to my dog, I yelled to the lady to call the dog back - she didnt , just looked at me with that "whatever" look.

My dog and I were on the ledge and when the dog got close, my dog went to protect me - almost ended up pushing me off the rock to get to the other dog - I was able to get my dog to stay for a minute. Thats when I punched the ladys dog on top of its head - the dog took off, (he wasnt a mean dog but my dog would have tore him up) the lady was going to bitch about me hitting her dog but the other people told her to leave the area..... she did, with her dog still off the leash!.

Anyways, the Grayhound owner did the right thing. You also did the right thing to warn the other dog owners, you didnt have to do that but it was great you did - :sun

* This was my dog Cody, that passed away last year, not Hudson - he would never hurt someone on purpose.

wrongway_08
02-22-2008, 14:50
When I am walking my dog, I never let her approach another dog. I tell my kids, all dogs are unfriendly until their owners tell you otherwise and give you permission to pet them

Right on! Glad to hear that, even when the owners say they are friendly, I still try not to startle a dog by just heading over to it fast - you never know.

Always let the dog check you out and approach you.

doggiebag
02-22-2008, 14:55
Right on! Glad to hear that, even when the owners say they are friendly, I still try not to startle a dog by just heading over to it fast - you never know.

Always let the dog check you out and approach you.
Wrongway ...
here's a picture of Aldo when he doesn't want to give his frisbee back. Just adorable huh?
http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/6536/tj6536_021108_161958_294724.jpg (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=294724&back=1)

shelterbuilder
02-22-2008, 21:13
Grayhound owner is doing the correct thing.

I had a dog that was a rescue and really mean. Was out hiking and of course he was on a leash. I was hiking around a group of people I didnt know) and just let them know not to pet him - they were fine with my dog.
Problem came up when a lady came hiking onto the rocks (we were climbing across a "ledge") with her dog off the leash - the other people told her to leash the dog cause they didnt want it loose, she didnt and her dog went to say hi to my dog, I yelled to the lady to call the dog back - she didnt , just looked at me with that "whatever" look.

My dog and I were on the ledge and when the dog got close, my dog went to protect me - almost ended up pushing me off the rock to get to the other dog - I was able to get my dog to stay for a minute. Thats when I punched the ladys dog on top of its head - the dog took off, (he wasnt a mean dog but my dog would have tore him up) the lady was going to bitch about me hitting her dog but the other people told her to leave the area..... she did, with her dog still off the leash!.

Anyways, the Grayhound owner did the right thing. You also did the right thing to warn the other dog owners, you didnt have to do that but it was great you did - :sun

* This was my dog Cody, that passed away last year, not Hudson - he would never hurt someone on purpose.

The greyhound owners were definitely on the right track, but your story brings up another point.

I always hike with my own dog on a leash, and she responds to my commands, but those commands are non-verbal, since I can no longer speak. However, because I can't speak, I also cannot call off someone else's dog with a command that the other dog might understand. I can't even ask the other people to leash their dog, because of my inability to talk. Because of this, if I sense a threat from the other dog, I have very limited options: I can step in between the two dogs and stamp my foot repeatedly, I can plant my staff in between the two dogs, or I can swat the other dog (with my staff, my foot, or my fist). Now, I'm not afraid of being bitten (been there, done that, and I have medical insurance for myself), nor am I afraid of the aftermath of swatting the dog (I know a few good lawyers, if it came down to that), but you never can tell what kind of handicap someone else may have just by looking at them coming down the trail. A loose dog in this situation can really precipitate an unexpected problem when I try to protect my dog from the loose one.

"Leash 'em up!"

AlwaysHiking
02-24-2008, 10:37
Wow, this brings back memories of my dog Bonnie. She was a rescue with real baggage. I had a heck of a time with her around other dogs. She was a great trail dog up until someone decided to let their dog off leash. People coming the opposite direction behind their unleashed dog would always say, "Don't worry he's friendly," well, good for you, mine isn't. For the most part a quick sidestep off the trail was all it took and I'd put myself between the two dogs. Sometimes that wasn't always a possibility. If the trail was narrow with high sides or a drop on one side, etc. there was no way for me to step off trail. Nothing bad ever happened but it was beyond frustrating for me to have some strange dog chasing us in circles as I kept myself between the two. Looking back, I should have just stepped out of the way and let my dog at the other. I don't know why I cared so much about protecting the unleashed dog when I'd repeatedly told the other owner to get it to back off.

I had Bonnie trained to automatically step to my right side whenever anyone came the other direction and where possible I'd move over with her and she'd sit and let the other hiker(s) pass. She was also trained with the 'after me' command so on narrow sections she was directly behind me and not the first thing people saw as they approached. So the only time she was a problem was when another dog got in her space. Only dogs who ever got in her space were dog's off leash and not trained to recall on command.

mudhead
02-24-2008, 12:18
And then you have the owner that says yes, it's ok.

After the nip, oh I forgot she doesn't like uniforms.

Suburban, but memorable.

(Aldo just wants more gravy.)

Gaiter
02-24-2008, 15:53
my coco was a rescue that didn't get along w/ other dogs, i had a hard time just walking her when i first got her, wouldn't think of taking her on a trail or anywhere there would be other loose dogs, it took alot of work, but walking in my neighborhood, i started getting her to remain calm when another dog would be walking accross the street, then walking being okay when we pulled aside to let another dog pass, then walking near a smaller than her neighbor dog, then walking next to that dog, then walking w/ a bigger than her neighbor dog, u get the idea, and each of these big steps can be broken down in to many smaller steps. it wasn't untill after a few months of her acting fine around other dogs that i would take her on day hikes.

I think the greyhound owners would be at fault if some thing happened, they knowingly took a dog thats aggressive towards humans and dogs, into an environment w/ high possibility of loose dogs and loose kids.
w/ an aggressive dog you must be careful, you can't go just anywhere, just because other dogs can go there. they must keep their dog in a controllable environment to deal with its issues slowly.

aaroniguana
02-24-2008, 17:04
I've had problems like this at Patapsco State Park. Angus and I hiked there almost every weekend for a year. Occasionally we'd get backed up against a tree or an outcropping by an unleashed dog. Angus wouldn't hurt a flea, that's part of the reason he's such a great dog, he's very submissive (though he does keep the backyard free of squirrels and bluejays). I'd simply call out, "You have one minute to get this dog" and then when the minute passed he'd get a few stern pokes with the business end of a hiking pole.

Cruel? Perhaps. But it was nicer that the business end of my Mora should I or my dog have been attacked.

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2008, 17:13
Other folks have it right.....while dogs are ALWAY the owner's responsibility, when one lets their dog run free, it is the owner's risk, period, and their liability, if it comes to that.

But on the other hand, people need to use common sense when around dogs, even if they are leashed. It's not just "free" dogs that cause problems. The worst experience I've had in recent years with a dog was was with one who was tied to a post, unattended. With no exaggeration whatsoever, the owner is lucky he did not complete that afternoon with either a lawsuit or a dead dog.

THAT being said, people frequently make the mistake that ALL dogs are friendly, and this just isn't so. Some are skittish when left unattended. Some get skittish and overly defensive not when leftunattended, but instead, they get this way when they are "protecting" their owners (this happens MUCH more frequently with dogs owned by women). So the person that said approach ALL dogs with caution and suggested that one ASK before petting a dog was making a great deal of sense.

cowboy nichols
02-24-2008, 20:39
All dogs on a trail should be on leash. The people letting their dogs run loose should stay off trails.

wrongway_08
02-24-2008, 20:43
I think the greyhound owners would be at fault if some thing happened, they knowingly took a dog thats aggressive towards humans and dogs, into an environment w/ high possibility of loose dogs and loose kids.
w/ an aggressive dog you must be careful, you can't go just anywhere, just because other dogs can go there. they must keep their dog in a controllable environment to deal with its issues slowly.

Sorry but I disagree 100%. The person being unresponsible is the unleashed dog. No matter if you bring a agressive dog into a area around other people/kids - fact is, that dog is under controll. If the other people do not watch their kids or have a dog unleashed, its their fault if the kid/other dog gets bit.

I took my dog (Cody - the aggresive one) to a park that has a lot of kids/people and dogs around. I kept control of him, kept him away from everyone. This one parent was at the park, watching her other kid play soccer. I was walking Cody about 50 feet from the people when that lady had her child run from her and go to pet my dog. Even before the child got close, I yelled to the lady about her kid and told the kid the dog would bite her. The child looked back at her mom, her mom just sat there on her fat arse, the child started to come closer at which time I put Cody behind me and told the child to get away or the dog will bite her. The childs mom never even said anything or trie to get her kid away, the child is the one who walked back over to her mom - after I yelled at her.
This is what I woul consider child abuse - the mom knew her child was in direct danger of bodily harm and did nothing to stop it.

Same as if you had your dog unleashed on the trail, if your dogs loose and got mauled by my dog - too bad, it happened because your dog wasnt under your control or comand. Your at fault.

Not that I wouldnt try to stop it from happening but if your not taking control of your dog or keeping your child safe - only one you have to blame is yourself.

Also, to add, I would never had taken Cody around in a tight space with other people/animals. I also always got off the trail so others could pass safely. He was never in close enough area to lunge and grab someone - at the same time he was only aggressive to people or animals that approached us.

*Not sayn you are like this......:D

HHmmmm..... going by your statement.... they knowingly took a dog thats aggressive towards humans and dogs, into an environment w/ high possibility of loose dogs and loose kids......., I would think it safe to say that everyone that drives past a dog park or school would be at fault for hitting a dog/child that runs into the road because they knowingly drove a deadly weapon (car) where there was dogs/childeren play'n? I know its stretching it but the same common sense theory applies.

Critterman
02-24-2008, 21:13
THAT being said, people frequently make the mistake that ALL dogs are friendly, and this just isn't so. Some are skittish when left unattended. Some get skittish and overly defensive not when leftunattended, but instead, they get this way when they are "protecting" their owners (this happens MUCH more frequently with dogs owned by women). So the person that said approach ALL dogs with caution and suggested that one ASK before petting a dog was making a great deal of sense.

I used to teach safety around dogs and cats to pre-schoolers. #1 ask the owner if the dog is friendly and can you pet him before approaching dog on a leash. #2 never approach a dog in a car or tied up. #3 never approach a stray animal.

AlwaysHiking
02-24-2008, 21:19

Can't agree with you on that. The greyhound was under control and the owners were responsible in giving everyone fair warning. They did their part to safely keep their dog at distance. If the greyhound somehow got out of their control and away from them, then yes, they would be at fault for any resulting injuries. But a dog running up to the greyhound while it's under direct control, it's the owner of the other dog who's at fault. If a person lets their dog violate another person or dog's space, and the dog gets hit, bit, kicked, etc... it's the owner of the loose dog's fault, not the other person or other dog's fault.

A responsible dog owner will also be more than willing to accommodate another dog's limits. I was on a group hike a couple weeks ago where one lady had two dogs who were fine being around other dogs but just didn't like being approached by them. She made a great hiking partner b/c her dogs were under her control and everyone else respected their limits. If my dog had gotten nipped because of approaching her dogs after she told me not to let it happen, then yes, it would have been my fault for not keeping my own dog under control and away from her dogs.

bfitz
02-24-2008, 21:54
Greyhound owner was being responsble. The dog won't leanr manners until it is given a chance to learn them. Not right to coop him up. The owner's dog who lets them roam free do so at their peril. They are the ones not doing what they are supposed to. When I am walking my dog, I never let her approach another dog. I tell my kids, all dogs are unfriendly until their owners tell you otherwise and give you permission to pet them
That is so true. Why are so many people so oblivious to this idea?

gumball
02-24-2008, 22:16
Greyhounds are generally not agressive dogs--spooks, yes--aggressive, no. They will tussle it up with other dogs if provoked, and they have very thin skin (meaning if they get in a tussle, they are likely to bleed more easily than most other dogs).

Might have been they just didn't want anyone petting their dog, so they said he wasn't friendly--or they might have been trying to socialize him a little more than he was used to...or I suppose he could have been absolutely vicious, but this would surprise me (easy to say, since my retired greyhound is loudly snoring by the fire and has been doing so most of the day)...but they did have him on leash and they did give verbal warning. I think they were handling it correctly, if the dog really was a bit aggressive.

JLB
02-24-2008, 22:44
All dogs on a trail should be on leash. The people letting their dogs run loose should stay off trails.

Nature isn't just for people to enjoy.

http://www.fototime.com/%7BFA715119-DDD4-448B-A437-51C2091C7276%7D/picture.JPG

AlwaysHiking
02-24-2008, 22:52
Greyhounds are generally not agressive dogs--spooks, yes--aggressive, no. They will tussle it up with other dogs if provoked, and they have very thin skin (meaning if they get in a tussle, they are likely to bleed more easily than most other dogs).

Might have been they just didn't want anyone petting their dog, so they said he wasn't friendly--or they might have been trying to socialize him a little more than he was used to...or I suppose he could have been absolutely vicious, but this would surprise me (easy to say, since my retired greyhound is loudly snoring by the fire and has been doing so most of the day)...but they did have him on leash and they did give verbal warning. I think they were handling it correctly, if the dog really was a bit aggressive.

I have a friend who's retired racing greyhound was dog aggressive. When it came to fight or flight, tho, she always chose flight. But if she was pinned in somewhere or on a leash, which seemed to be part of her problem, then she'd get snarky.

aaroniguana
02-24-2008, 23:27
Consider the life of a racing greyhound. Can you blame her?

AlwaysHiking
02-24-2008, 23:36
Consider the life of a racing greyhound. Can you blame her?

Absolutely not... she was a really awesome dog. Definitely grateful for the life she led with my friend, she showed her appreciation in her own way. Very loyal too. I was just pointing out to the other poster that greyhounds can be aggressive even if it is rare. Shiloh though was leash aggressive and fence aggressive. Only times she'd have any issues with another dog was when she couldn't get away from it... then ya'd better watch out.

MamaCat
02-25-2008, 12:04

The greyhound in question was a retired racing greyhound and according to the owner, had already been in several spats with other dogs. They had only had it about 3 months. Apparently took awhile just to warm up to them. But, I think you are right about the breed they are supposed to be quite sociable.

chiefdaddy
02-25-2008, 12:13
hmm well Chief(my boston terrier) hikes a lot off leash and I understand he is harmless and wont cause trouble ect, on the other hand he has been at a shelter and had a lab bite his face for no reason at all. I was not mad at the dog owner at all and just cleaned the little cut added ointment and everything was peachy. Dogs are dogs and you either understand them or you dont.

Once I ran into a bear in NC on the AT, I told chief to wait and he froze like always, this works for other situations as well. If I see or hear hikers ahead I call him to me and pick him up. I know and understand he is not 100% safe off leash, being trained well helps a lot and if anything ever happens I guess you can't live life afraid of everything.

I vote mean dogs off the trail, that's just me though.

hmmm 1 in 88 people die in a car wreck and something like that....I still drive and ride.

wrongway_08
02-25-2008, 12:17
Nature isn't just for people to enjoy.

http://www.fototime.com/%7BFA715119-DDD4-448B-A437-51C2091C7276%7D/picture.JPG

That is awesome!!!!

I am guessing you threw him onto a bed or couch?

Rouen
02-25-2008, 12:20
Greyhounds are generally not agressive dogs--spooks, yes--aggressive.

depending on the line the hound came from your statement may or may not be true, there is a reason racing greyhounds wear a muzzle everytime they are with another dog. I personally know several people and am related to a few who've been hurt pretty badly from breaking up racing greyhounds on turn-out. I'm sure show bred hounds are different though.

http://www.gcnm.org/muzzlenews.html

AlwaysHiking
02-25-2008, 13:57
I vote mean dogs off the trail, that's just me though.

If your dog is under your control at all times, then you don't have to worry about mean dogs.

A mean dog should also never be out of their owner's control, ever.

Frau
02-25-2008, 14:24
I have a different perspective on this issue. Winston is a scaredy-cat, submissive, wonderful, trail dog. He responds to hand and voice command. If he is loose and acts an idiot (runs up to strange, vicious dogs) I am to blame.My #1 dog is a voice and hand signal-trained Rottie. She doesn't like anyone other than family, including my other dogs. Rotties have been bred to guard, and she does just that. WE maintain an uneasy peace on our home. I have had to research what the state (other states may have different laws) and the county, AND the insurance company consider a vicious dog, and learned the following:If you know your dog is aggressive, a leash is NOT sufficient control. In such a case a muzzle is also required. A properly muzzled dog will not be biting anyone. My Rottie has been out on trails with me several times, always muzzled. It is a hassle, though, AND she cannot go far because of her dysplasia. She remains home 98% of the time. The other 2% is early Sunday mornings in an empty field near my home.So--I know very few will agree. BUT, if Win is loose and gets hurt, it is on me. If Gypsy is out without a muzzle it is on me TOO, because I KNOW she is aggressive. She has never bitten anyone, but I canNOT take a chance on that. A leash alone, is not enough when one takes a dangerous dog out in public.The alternative: train the biter around volunteers. This is what dog trainers advise. Volunteers and their volunteers dogs can at least prepare for the socialization sessions. Strangers on the trail cannot. If a hiker is wearing earphones or is deaf, he can't hear your warning, even if you call out.JMHO, from my personal experience with a very dominant breed.Frau

chiefdaddy
02-25-2008, 14:27
in control.. does that mean the dog will listen to you or is it that they have to be leashed?

my dog is always under control when he is with me and that's not always on a leash. He's run free from Dick's creek gap to Fontanna with out a hitch...well except for that random bite from that lab.

chiefdaddy
02-25-2008, 14:31
I have a different perspective on this issue. Winston is a scaredy-cat, submissive, wonderful, trail dog. He responds to hand and voice command. If he is loose and acts an idiot (runs up to strange, vicious dogs) I am to blame.My #1 dog is a voice and hand signal-trained Rottie. She doesn't like anyone other than family, including my other dogs. Rotties have been bred to guard, and she does just that. WE maintain an uneasy peace on our home. I have had to research what the state (other states may have different laws) and the county, AND the insurance company consider a vicious dog, and learned the following:If you know your dog is aggressive, a leash is NOT sufficient control. In such a case a muzzle is also required. A properly muzzled dog will not be biting anyone. My Rottie has been out on trails with me several times, always muzzled. It is a hassle, though, AND she cannot go far because of her dysplasia. She remains home 98% of the time. The other 2% is early Sunday mornings in an empty field near my home.So--I know very few will agree. BUT, if Win is loose and gets hurt, it is on me. If Gypsy is out without a muzzle it is on me TOO, because I KNOW she is aggressive. She has never bitten anyone, but I canNOT take a chance on that. A leash alone, is not enough when one takes a dangerous dog out in public.The alternative: train the biter around volunteers. This is what dog trainers advise. Volunteers and their volunteers dogs can at least prepare for the socialization sessions. Strangers on the trail cannot. If a hiker is wearing earphones or is deaf, he can't hear your warning, even if you call out.JMHO, from my personal experience with a very dominant breed.Frau

GREAT POST IMHO! I had forgoten about the muzzle. Having a small dog that wont bite kinda makes you forget.

wrongway_08
02-25-2008, 14:34
Catch 22 - Legally, you can have voice control of your dog but, if it came down to it and your dog got bit by a dog that was leashed or bit someone - even just a "play bite" --- you would be at fault.

Leash him for his/her own safety.

Let them play off leash if he/she is "voice contolled" when no ones around but when people come near - leash him up.

The Weasel
02-25-2008, 14:37
My dog, Chase The Incredible Rocket Dog is, as his name implies, capable of going totally doggy gaga crazy in a flash. One thing that has worked perfectly in calming him on long walks/trails is that I have him wear almost all the time a "nose collar", which looks like (but isn't) a muzzle. It is a set of easily put on straps that goes over his muzzle, and has the leash clip just under his jaw. This means that when he "surges", it is better for him (no hard pull against his throat, which is bad for a dog!) but also a "surge" means his nose is directed away from where he is going, and he immediately stops being crazy. It is ideal; I can't believe it. He is a totally different dog, and it is also safer for him since, as noted, it doesn't choke him when he pulls hard.

They are available everywhere.

TW

chiefdaddy
02-25-2008, 16:46
My dog, Chase The Incredible Rocket Dog is, as his name implies, capable of going totally doggy gaga crazy in a flash. One thing that has worked perfectly in calming him on long walks/trails is that I have him wear almost all the time a "nose collar", which looks like (but isn't) a muzzle. It is a set of easily put on straps that goes over his muzzle, and has the leash clip just under his jaw. This means that when he "surges", it is better for him (no hard pull against his throat, which is bad for a dog!) but also a "surge" means his nose is directed away from where he is going, and he immediately stops being crazy. It is ideal; I can't believe it. He is a totally different dog, and it is also safer for him since, as noted, it doesn't choke him when he pulls hard.

They are available everywhere.

TW

I was like this is perfect I should look into it... then I thought...
hmmm that's cool if your dog has a nose to speak of, Chief has a compact nose lol and I am sure it would not work on him argg guess I'll have to strap him to my pack just to be safe :D

The Weasel
02-25-2008, 16:54
I was like this is perfect I should look into it... then I thought...
hmmm that's cool if your dog has a nose to speak of, Chief has a compact nose lol and I am sure it would not work on him argg guess I'll have to strap him to my pack just to be safe :D

they have them in all sizes. even dogs with compact noses. :D

Cowgirl
02-25-2008, 17:36
I get REALLY mad when people who's dogs are off leash run up to say "hi" to my leashed dog!!!! Grrrrr!

Dogs are dogs.

No matter how friedly or nice Fluffy is, you never know when it will meet a dog it doesn't particularly like and then the fur starts flying.

Landshark
02-25-2008, 20:34
I tell my kids, all dogs are unfriendly until their owners tell you otherwise and give you permission to pet them

I have to comment on the "getting permission to pet them" part. Why do so many people, seemingly deliberately, break the rules when it comes to animals' well-being? Ever go to a pet store or zoo and see signs everywhere that say "do not pet the animals/stick fingers in cages/knock on glass" you name it... and people do! Even assistance dogs with big vests on them and signs that say, "do not pet me, I am working!" have people trying to pet them and encouraging their children to pet the nice doggy.

There are some jerks (criminals?) out there who will knowingly and willingly violate the rights of other people by getting into their space, touching them, whatever.... but many, many more people who get too close to animals even when told not to! In the case of a zoo or pet store, is it the fun of breaking the rules and defying authority? If you are warned, "Don't touch my dog, he bites" do you secretly hope to be the one who's cool enough to not be bitten?

Just my 2 cents.

By the way, I agree that the greyhound owners were doing the right thing. I was nearly attacked by a dog on a roadwalk in northern VT, residential area, picked up a big stick and had a standoff with the dog while yelling for help. A lady came out in her bathrobe and said, "Oh, Bo never acts like that, he must be growling and barking at you because you're pointing a stick at him!" I should've sent her the drycleaning bill for my pants. :)

Landshark
02-25-2008, 20:36
I mean that the greyhound owners were doing the right thing by keeping their dog on a leash and warning others of the safety risk.

Critterman
02-25-2008, 21:26
I get REALLY mad when people who's dogs are off leash run up to say "hi" to my leashed dog!!!! Grrrrr!

Dogs are dogs.

No matter how friedly or nice Fluffy is, you never know when it will meet a dog it doesn't particularly like and then the fur starts flying.

Nicely put. My dog did not like other dogs. She was always on a leash outside, regularly some dog off the leash would come running up and the growling and snarling would start and the owner would say " don't worry my dog doesn't bite" and I would say " Mine does ". The other dog owner would get a funny look on their face like the idea never occurred to their simple mind.

desdemona
02-26-2008, 10:33
I have to comment on the "getting permission to pet them" part. Why do so many people, seemingly deliberately, break the rules when it comes to animals' well-being? Ever go to a pet store or zoo and see signs everywhere that say "do not pet the animals/stick fingers in cages/knock on glass" you name it... and people do! Even assistance dogs with big vests on them and signs that say, "do not pet me, I am working!" have people trying to pet them and encouraging their children to pet the nice doggy.

When I approach kids with Torie, call this the teacher inside, I coach the kid to ask me if Torie is friendly (she is!).

--des

AlwaysHiking
02-26-2008, 10:58
When I approach kids with Torie, call this the teacher inside, I coach the kid to ask me if Torie is friendly (she is!).

--des

I do that too with little kids. I also tell them to never pet a dog that doesn't know they're there. They have to wait until the dog sees them and then they can pet. Not that my dog would, but some dogs will nip if they don't know a hand is coming and are startled.

desdemona
02-26-2008, 16:39
I do that too with little kids. I also tell them to never pet a dog that doesn't know they're there. They have to wait until the dog sees them and then they can pet. Not that my dog would, but some dogs will nip if they don't know a hand is coming and are startled.

Torie loves kids, but I actually give the kid the question, if they don't come up with it. "Say: Is it ok to pet your dog? Now you ask this." Yikes. :)
Still I think it is a good idea.

If the parent asks, I'll have the kid ask as well.

I also tell them to ask about any dog. I think parents don't always educate their kids about this.

--des