PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen this on the CDT?

Cuffs
02-22-2008, 12:55
Reading reports that JAGUARS are slowly moving back into the southwest (specifically Arizona and New Mexico.)

They have been confirmed in the areas since 1996, but are being seen more and more often by use of digital cameras with motion sensors.

How cool is this!?! And how cool would it be to actually see one!?!?

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/es/jaguar_management.shtml

mudhead
02-22-2008, 12:59
I would be quite happy.

Almost There
02-22-2008, 13:07
Reading reports that JAGUARS are slowly moving back into the southwest (specifically Arizona and New Mexico.)

They have been confirmed in the areas since 1996, but are being seen more and more often by use of digital cameras with motion sensors.

Um:-?....you do realize that Jaguars are stalking cats...which means the liklihood of seeing one would probably include the fact that it was stalking you...I'd rather see a Grizzlie, at least I know it most likely isn't looking at me as "food".:eek:

mudhead
02-22-2008, 13:15
I have spent numerous hours seeking a cougar sighting. Only to see footage of one running across a local school football field.

I don't want to smell it's breath, just eyeball it! Would be very slick!

rafe
02-22-2008, 13:15
From what distance? If I knew for certain I'd survive the incident without pain or injury, I'd be thrilled. Otherwise, I'd prolly be scared ****less.

burger
02-22-2008, 13:18
There's an excellent article here (http://www.hcn.org/servlets/hcn.Article?article_id=17275) about jaguars and the border fence the government is trying to build.

tazie
02-22-2008, 13:18
Thanks for the link Cuffs, that is cool! We lived in NM from '94-'99 and I remember when they reported the first sightings. (it is the Land of Enchantment:)) The kids and I were thrilled to see prarie dogs, gila lizards and hear coyotes, right from our own backyard. Now the only Jags we see here are in DC commuter traffic. (sigh) Thanks again cuffs, good stuff!

Sly
02-22-2008, 13:21
I didn't have the good fortune of seeing a jaguar but I did see a mountain lion in southern CO.

Mags
02-22-2008, 13:27
Jaguars/Mountain Lions/Cougars/Catamounts/Pumas are essentially the same animal by different local names.

Where I live, there are mountain lions (and black bears) in town.

http://www.ci.boulder.co.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2859&Itemid=1016

Sly
02-22-2008, 13:34
Jaguars/Mountain Lions/Cougars/Catamounts/Pumas are essentially the same animal by different local names.

The Jag in the article has spots. The lion I saw was mostly solid tan.

Mags
02-22-2008, 13:48
The Jag in the article has spots. The lion I saw was mostly solid tan.

Some places call what is a jaguar a mountain lion/puma/cougar/etc. In the southern Appalachians, a catamount is the same as a lynx. In the northeast a catamount is the same as mountain lion.

Confusing indeed. :)

eventidecu
02-22-2008, 13:51
In that article it said that Jags are the only big North American cats that "roar" vocally to announce their presence. Don't Mountain Lions roar? And Panthers? Or would that be considered "screams".

taildragger
02-22-2008, 13:52
From what distance? If I knew for certain I'd survive the incident without pain or injury, I'd be thrilled. Otherwise, I'd prolly be scared ****less.

I completely agree with this. Theres something about being looked at as food that is kinda odd....

eventidecu
02-22-2008, 13:53
A Jag has spots, a Mountain Loin is tan. They are not the same animal species.

Mags
02-22-2008, 14:10

No arguement. But some places interchange the names be it incorrectly or not(re: Lynx = catamount in the south. Catamount = mountain lion in the north)

I am not going to argue with the biology..but I am not going to argue with local names that are used as well.

I hope that makes sense.

ScottP
02-22-2008, 15:04
Looks like Cuff's article is using a more biologically-true meaning of jaguar (as a very different species than a mountain lion). Cool to know that they're making a comeback.

I got stalked by a Mtn. Lion in Southern Washington, just south of White's Pass. Most afraid I've ever been in my life.

highway
02-22-2008, 15:31

They are (almost) completely different species

Mags
02-22-2008, 15:38
Looks like Cuff's article is using a more biologically-true meaning of jaguar (as a very different species than a mountain lion). Cool to know that they're making a comeback.

I got stalked by a Mtn. Lion in Southern Washington, just south of White's Pass. Most afraid I've ever been in my life.

Now that I RTFA, see the confusion.

As I said, biologically is one way. Locally, though, people sometimes interchange them a lot. (Just like a proghorn antelope is not really an antelope.. I know. I know.)

Either way..it is cool they are coming back.

Cuffs
02-22-2008, 18:17
Cougar (subspecies: panther, puma, mountain lion) is the largest of the small cats.

The Jaguar is in the same family as the lion, tiger and leopard.

Cuffs
02-22-2008, 18:17
I agree that while a sighting would be great, I would not like to be "sighted" as prey!

mudhead
02-22-2008, 18:31
I completely agree with this. Theres something about being looked at as food that is kinda odd....

Third. I got eyeballed by a peregrine that floated by a couple of times. I remember the chill the eye gave me and was glad no one saw me hold my arms out. (Big sissy was trying to look larger. Something about the eye, and the way it appraised me.)

Dogwood
02-22-2008, 20:15
A jaguar sighting, not to be confused with a panther, mountain lion, catamount, puma, or cougar sighting, would indeed be an extremely rare event in the U.S., as U can count the number of confirmed jaguar sightings on your two hands! But, it would be memorable! I hope I am wrong, but I don't expect a major comback of the big cat in the U.S. because the moment they kill a cow or a confrontation occurs between humans and jaguars that is deemed negative, some ignorant and fearful human will pick up a gun and declare them a nuisance that should be exterminated! Unless attitudes have changed and habitat is available(not likely), jaguars, will continue to share the fate of other "varmints/predators" like coyotes, wolves, bears, and mountain lions!!! Human beings are at the top of the food chain and they often have problems sharing or relinquishing that spot with/to other species!!! Thanks for the thread though!

OregonHiker
02-22-2008, 20:20

There was a really good show about this a while back. Discovery Channel perhaps?

Cuffs
02-22-2008, 23:49
OH, about the jaguars? Darn, missed it!

Mags
02-23-2008, 00:14
A jaguar sighting, not to be confused with a panther, mountain lion, catamount, puma, or cougar sighting, would indeed be an extremely rare event in the U.S., as U can count the number of confirmed jaguar sightings on your two hands!

Sigh.

If I may clarify myself yet again:

For better or worse, people interchange all the big cat names...which is why (I imagine) the sightings get mixed up in part. Kinda like lumping "bears" into one category for many people when there are major types and several sub-types in the US.

I am not arguing with anyone about the difference on a biological level...I merely saying that throughout North and South America people (incorrectly) interchange them. And why sightings get "mixed up".

That is all I meant. I hope that makes more sense. I probably should have explained myself more clearly. OTOH....man, you guys love to pick those nits. ;)

While you are picking nits, I'll be doing this tomorrow morning: http://www.mountainzone.com/mountains/detail.asp?fid=1251556

:D

OregonHiker
02-23-2008, 00:16
OH, about the jaguars? Darn, missed it!

There was also a segment about disproving photos of wild cats were actually domestic cats

Cuffs
02-23-2008, 00:20
Sigh.

While you are picking nits, I'll be doing this tomorrow morning: http://www.mountainzone.com/mountains/detail.asp?fid=1251556

Thanks, just throw that in our faces why dont ya....

Mags
02-23-2008, 00:24
Thanks, just throw that in our faces why dont ya....

If you say so.... :p

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16638&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=82ef04ee7790dfb7d5f411d525b5b212

Cuffs
02-23-2008, 00:27
all the words I want to type right now, will get filtered, just know Im thinking them!

Shutterbug
02-23-2008, 18:08

I have not seen a Jaguar in the wild in the US, but last year I saw an Ocelot in Saguaro National Park near Tucson, AZ. It passed in front of me about 25 yards.

Dogwood
02-24-2008, 00:15
Sigh.

If I may clarify myself yet again:

For better or worse, people interchange all the big cat names...which is why (I imagine) the sightings get mixed up in part. Kinda like lumping "bears" into one category for many people when there are major types and several sub-types in the US.

I am not arguing with anyone about the difference on a biological level...I merely saying that throughout North and South America people (incorrectly) interchange them. And why sightings get "mixed up".

That is all I meant. I hope that makes more sense. I probably should have explained myself more clearly. OTOH....man, you guys love to pick those nits. ;)

Mags, my post was not aimed at U. I totally agree w/ your post - sightings R confused. U helped clarify that different names may be use for the same cat. By the way, great pic!