PDA

View Full Version : How much food to carry in park

Lemni Skate
02-22-2008, 14:46
I'm a new backpacker and plan to hike through Shenandoah National Park the second half of May. I know there are lots of opportunities to stop and resupply and get a bite to eat and I figure I'll be hiking 8-12 miles per day (I hope more, but don't want to overestimate). How much food should I carry at a time?

doggiebag
02-22-2008, 14:52
I would probably just carry one emergency ration going through the Shenandoahs. You'll always be within a day's hike from any of their waysides. Though the prices are a little steep for the burger and fry type of meals that you can expect. If the prices at the waysides aren't a concern ... then you can do the Shenandoahs with nothing more than a day's worth of food - just in case you run a little late and if the wayside has closed for the day. The Shenandoahs are an easy hike.

Just Plain Jim
05-14-2008, 16:24
I carried 5 days worth when I did the SNP in May, 2006 and came out with 2 days left. My plan was to try and stop at the hotels and waysides as much as possible and it worked. You might want to check with the park for the opening dates. Also, there are at least 2 places to shower and wash your clothes in the park near the campgrounds and hotel.

sofaking
05-14-2008, 16:31
everything except lewis wayside was open as of last month, and it looked like they were getting it ready. it should be open by now.

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 16:36
Some of the waysides have overpriced very mediocre fast food that is barely worth climbing off the mountain for, much less back up. Some of them even use blackberry syrup instead of blackberry ice cream for the blackberry shakes. I would carry full supply and plan to eat in the real restaurants if the timing is convenient, like at Big Meadows Lodge. I wouldn't count on the limited resupply being stocked in the camp stores unless you're okay with candy bars. The campgrounds are a good place to get a shower (you may need quarters and you may have to wait in line) or clean up in the laundry sink some of the satellite restrooms have.

Blissful
05-14-2008, 21:48
Big Meadows Wayside has a decent resupply stock. Was there this spring.

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 21:57
Big Meadows Wayside has a decent resupply stock. Was there this spring.Sorry, I wasn't clear on that point. I'm not talking about the selection, I'm saying I wouldn't count on them having things well-stocked, in other words, they might be sold out of a lot of stuff. I doubt you would get to Neels Gap and find the shelves bare of backpackable food, but you might not be able to be picky in the park. The stores cater to car campers anyway.

CherrypieScout
05-26-2008, 22:11
I am planning on hikiing from Dripping Rock, South of Humpback, to Harper's Ferry. I like to read the trail guide books. Should I purchase both the Shenandoah and the North VA and Maryland books? Does anyone have old copies I could purchase? Even with my ATC membership both books would be $62 with shipping. I am alos interested in a shuttle. I could hike south or northbound. Any advice is welcome. I have been section hiking for quite a few summers.

Lemni Skate
10-13-2008, 19:36
Just so you all know. I did the park. It was slow going for some of your standards I'm sure. 10-11 miles per day and then I hit a wall, pitched my tent and took it easy and went to sleep. One day I only did eight.

I was a little uncomfortable most of the time as May 17-June 1 turned out to be chilly up in the park and I would start off in a jacket and then sweat and not be able to take off the jacket because I would get cold in my wet clothes. It finally turned warm as I was heading out of the park and a coke seemed like a good idea so my last day in the park I hiked 18 miles to Rockfish Gap so I could go to Waynesboro and get a coke.

I struck out the next day and made it to Humpback Rock, but my lack of a goal after that made me lose focus and I stopped after 10 days.

I had the time of my life and I learned a lot. The one thing I know for sure is that when I finally do my thru-hike, I need a partner. Man, I was lonely after a week out there.

Anyway, I never needed more than 4 meals with me. Get water every chance you get in the South section of the park as it gets a little scarce.