PDA

View Full Version : If you're flying to Atlanta...

bearbag hanger
01-11-2004, 13:44
... how are you handling your pack? Are you planning on checking it? I'm not at all happy about checking several hundred dollars' worth of nearly new hiking gear but there's no way they'd let you bring metal cookware, Esbit fuel, a Swiss army knife, etc. in carryon luggage, and who knows what else in a thruhiker's pack they might object to. Do you just pull out anything you think might be a problem and pack it in something else?

What kinds of things might be a problem beside those three items?
I suspect most packs would be too large for carryon. Aside from that, NO knives of any kind are allowed on your person or on any carryon. They will be taken away and if you argue with them about it, they will probably take you away as well. Not sure what they think about forks. Esbit fuel, I think, would be a problem even for checked bagage. Same for any kind of fuel. I don't think metal cookware (except for the afore mentioned knives and maybe forks) would be a problem.

Recommend you mail questionable items to the start of your hike and carry the rest. You should take into account any kind of fuel would have to go by ground. If you try to sneak something through, figuring they might not notice, and they find it, you'll delay the shipment a whole lot, plus you may wind up on some list you don't want any part of.

MadAussieInLondon
01-11-2004, 13:45
i am mailing some stuff over before I fly. im sending my locking knife, my brasslite stove etc all wrapped in paper and just parcel posting it to my friend... then there is nothing 'dodgy' within my luggage. only clothes, tent, etc.

usually when i travel, i pacsafe my pack... but i dont want to really lug around a pacsafe wire netting.. id have to leave it somewhere then have to get it back before I flew home... hassle..

plus security is just as likely to bolt cutter my pacsafe these days anyway...

my pot will be inside the pack... i dont see any harm with the pot...

as for fuel, im getting that when I land. no sense in trying to take fuel with you. thats a mega no-no. (dunno bout esbit tabs tho...??)

Cehoffpauir
01-11-2004, 14:54
You could ship the whole thing UPS or USPS. Both offer insurance. At USPS site (and maybe UPS also) you can estimate postage by entering package weight, departure and destination zip codes. But someone on a plane without any luggage might look suspicious to Them.

Dharma
01-11-2004, 15:29
This is exactly why I'm taking the train. If any airport goon took my pack apart, like they do some people's luggage, they'd never get it all back in the bag again. On the train I can make special arrangements for my pack to be a carry-on when I go to Penn Station and then ride with me (in my sleeper) on the way to Gainsville.

If not that I'd box it, insure it, and send it to the Amacolola lodge, which I still see as an option before my thru. Airlines are too much of a hassle and waaaay to paranoid for me.

smokymtnsteve
01-11-2004, 15:30
and you could ship it to my house ..I live just off the NORTH SOUTH MARTA train line in atlanta...a straight shot from the ATL airport...

JackW
01-11-2004, 15:32
I will be heading to Georgia (Gainesville) at the end of March and will travel via AMTRAK for the very reason of difficulty with the Air Travel that you and others cite. The problem of fuel is another problem that air travel prohibits but fuel via train travel will not be a problem as far as I know. In any case they sell Alcohol or HEET in Georgia so I will get it there. Certainly Esbit Tabs will not be a problem on the Train. Knives of any length if packed deep within a pack should be no problem. Of course, if questioned by authorities whether you are carrying a weapon you might want to answer them with information about a Thru-Hike on the AT or that you are camping in the Wilderness at your destination.

Skylander

all NT=Arial]

smokymtnsteve
01-11-2004, 15:44
Jack lots of folks use amtrac to travel to ga..it seems to be very popular during thruhiking season..also the more laid back attitude of train travel gets you in the proper mood to hike.

Peaks
01-11-2004, 17:05
For those who choose to fly, pack your pack inside a duffle bag. That way, the straps and buckles don't get ripped off. The pack gets checked as baggage. Too big to carry on.

Don't even think about trying to bring along stoves, fuel, and lighters, even in your checked baggage. Stoves can be shipped UPS Ground. Allow two weeks. I would assume that you can ship them either to Hiker's Hostle, or maybe to Amicalola Falls State Park. Some people have gotten their stove through in the checked luggage, but you should not count on it.

If coming by airline, buy lighters and fuel after you get there.

Amtrak lets you carry packs on. No need to make special arrangements or anything. Fuel also. Coaches bought 2 weeks ahead are the cheapest. Sleepers get expensive.

01-11-2004, 23:12
I'm coming from the west coast and Amtrak would take 4 days and cost 3x a plane ticket. I'm an ultralighter so actually most of my pack could fit as carryon luggage, but I guess I'm going to be shipping it. Man, that makes me nervous as heck. Grr.

Good feedback from everyone, though, thank you.

I know smockeymtnsteve offered his house, but we will hold packages for hikers who arer staying at our hostel. There is no charge. Other hikers out there who do not stay with us can call as well. We want turn any body down who needs help getting started.

highway
01-12-2004, 07:30
[QUOTE=traceyam]... how are you handling your pack? Are you planning on checking it? I'm not at all happy about checking several hundred dollars' worth of nearly new hiking gear ....QUOTE]

I always check it as luggage but hidden inside something.
I have made numerous trips West to section hike the CDT and always put my pack and all non-flammable contents inside my old, worn, GI duffle bag and check it as luggage. It has always gotten to my destination when I did. Since the ticket is usually round trip, from the same city, I leave the duffle bag for safe keeping at a hotel/motel where i make reservations to stay the night before flying out at the end of the trip. They have always kept my duffle bag for me.

When not leaving from the same city I fill the pack and then put it inside a super strong, very large garbage/leaf bag called Hefty Steel Sak, tape it into a nice bundle with masking tape then wrap parachute all around it. When finished, any dangling strap is well protected from the gaping jaws of luggage carousels and it has the appearance of what one might assume a homeless person's luggage might be, all taped up and wrapped with cord. :D

For the return trip, I keep another Steel Sak in the bottom of my pack for the flight out. It even serves double duty as a ground cloth(with the bag's sides split) or even poncho, with a hole for the head snipped out. The bags are truly amazing-super tear resistant and very light. I bought a whole box a few years ago and keep it inside my closet. Don't know if they are still sold or not.

beancounter
01-12-2004, 08:47
It is NOT your destination, but where you board that is important. I bought a huge stuff bag at Cabela and put everything in it; stove, new fuel bottle, knives, everything I would carry on the trail. I carry a simmerlite so I bought a new fuel bottle (never used) just to be safe.
In 2003 I boarded in Quincy, IL a small airport and told the inspectors I word totally take my pack apart if they wanted a detailed inspection. They said it was not necessary and I had no problem. Mailed my huge light weight stuff sack home and I was on my way.
Good luck.

WalkinHome
01-12-2004, 20:32
The Postal Service does not allow Esbit fuel to be flown so I would think that to be a big hint that no one is willing to fly them. I flew with my pack in a large hockey equipment bag (as stowed luggage) and had packed a stamped, pre-addressed box to send it home when I landed. It was pre-9-11 but for the majority, it should work the same. One tip - at Atlanta airport, my big duffle did not appear with the rest of the luggage! What a way to start a thru hike - I about had the big one right there. Went to the desk and guess what? The "oversized" luggage sometimes goes to a side area. I was some ripped because there is no sign with this policy on it. Might save someone a heart attack. Be Safe

RedneckRye
01-12-2004, 20:47
This Summer I flew from DC to Alaska and back and from Ohio to Colorado. For all flights my pack was loaded into a big ass duffel. I had an alcohol stove, but no fuel, and all of the rest of my gear. No problems at all with the checked baggage. The preflight security checks and searchs at the Fairbanks airport were incredibly thorough - metal detector, wand, patdown, shoes off, and carryon dumped and sorted. Not just a few folks, but everyone passing thru the gate.
PS- If you get a chance GO TO ALASKA.