PDA

View Full Version : Static Woes?

Jason of the Woods
02-23-2008, 00:21
I amhaving a bad time with static invading my hiking clothes after every wash. The Capilenes are bad and the socks are worse. We have tried dryer balls (balls that go in the dryer), and static socks. We tried static sleaves things too but no luck. I haven't used any chemicals other than Method detergent on them. Is anyone more domestic than me? Ideas?

Skidsteer
02-23-2008, 00:36
I amhaving a bad time with static invading my hiking clothes after every wash. The Capilenes are bad and the socks are worse. We have tried dryer balls (balls that go in the dryer), and static socks. We tried static sleaves things too but no luck. I haven't used any chemicals other than Method detergent on them. Is anyone more domestic than me? Ideas?

Good heavens!

Don't put your Capilenes in a dryer or treat them with anti-static. That's how they wick so well.

Darwin again
02-23-2008, 01:22
You can be electrocuted by static electricity.

To dissipate the charges, use a squirt bottle to spray a water mist on the clothes. A plant mister is ideal. The negative ions of H20 will neutralize the static charges. Then you can fold or roll them with minimal risk to life or property.

Good luck!

Jason of the Woods
02-23-2008, 10:32
Oops. I didn't know that I am not supposed to dry them. I guess that's part of my problem....

Brushy Sage
02-23-2008, 21:08
Instruction tag in mine says tumble dry low. I take that to mean low heat.

Skidsteer
02-23-2008, 21:20
Actually you're right. You can dry Capilene. It's polypro that isn't supposed to be put in the dryer.

Jason of the Woods
02-23-2008, 21:31
You skeered me dude.;)

Blissful
02-23-2008, 21:37
No liquid softeners or dryer sheets.

At home I was careful but on the trail I dried most everything in dryers.

BTW who said you can die from static electricity (!)? I only heard from somewhere you should touch the side of your car before you pump gas or you could ignite the gasoline.