PDA

View Full Version : ** To Join the World Abroad/Political Group **

dixicritter
02-23-2008, 09:40
If you are a Donating Member and wish to join the new World Abroad/Political Area, Please use the link in the UserCP under Group Memberships. You will have to wait for your membership request to be approved, but I promise we will get to these as soon as humanly possible.

Here's the link to get to the place in the UserCP where you join the group... Group Memberships (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/profile.php?do=editusergroups)

Thank you.

rafe
02-23-2008, 10:06
What should I state as a "reason?" :rolleyes: I mean, really...

dixicritter
02-23-2008, 10:15
No reason needed. You just need to be a donating member to join. Relax.

attroll
02-23-2008, 10:22
What should I state as a "reason?" :rolleyes: I mean, really...
Just put something "Please" or "I wish to join". As long as your a donating member and have not been banned from that area you will be approved.

Just Jeff
02-23-2008, 11:52
I was going to put something in there about sucking up to the mods, but just put "to participate" instead...but only b/c you don't have to be a donating member to suck up to the mods.

Skyline
02-23-2008, 12:05
OK, I just rejoined the other day. Now I have to rejoin again?

Well, I tried. Followed the link, and clicked on "Join Group." Then I had to type in a reason. Did that. Clicked "Join Group" again, as most people would intuitively do if confronted with that option after typing in the reason. Then I got a message "This does not appear to be a public user group."

Help!

hopefulhiker
02-23-2008, 12:09
I'm in! but the the subscribed political forums don't appear with the regular posts....

dixicritter
02-23-2008, 12:11
OK, I just rejoined the other day. Now I have to rejoin again?

Well, I tried. Followed the link, and clicked on "Join Group." Then I had to type in a reason. Did that. Clicked "Join Group" again, as most people would intuitively do if confronted with that option after typing in the reason. Then I got a message "This does not appear to be a public user group."

Help!

That just means that your request has to be approved, which has now been done.

Come on folks, we're trying to make as many folks happy as humanly possible. We know we can't ever make everyone happy, we understand that. How about giving us a break here. Please? :)

dixicritter
02-23-2008, 12:14
I'm in! but the the subscribed political forums don't appear with the regular posts....

Are you sure? They show up for me.

the goat
02-23-2008, 12:14

Come on folks, we're trying to make as many folks happy as humanly possible. We know we can't ever make everyone happy, we understand that. How about giving us a break here. Please? :)

yall are doin a good job in my book!

Skyline
02-23-2008, 12:22

OK, seems to be working now. thanks.

It just seemed kind of weird that we would have to jump through the same hoops we just jumped through a couple days ago, and when I did today, it worked differently.

Glad you all got it working to your satisfaction. Long live free speech! :banana

dixicritter
02-23-2008, 12:25
OK, seems to be working now. thanks.

It just seemed kind of weird that we would have to jump through the same hoops we just jumped through a couple days ago, and when I did today, it worked differently.

Glad you all got it working to your satisfaction. Long live free speech! :banana

I have no idea how Attroll set up the groups, I just work here. ;):D

hopefulhiker
02-23-2008, 12:32
They are showing up now.. I guess people arn't posting as fast and furious as they used to..

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-23-2008, 13:19
I have no idea how Attroll set up the groups, I just work here. ;):DNow, now - I've heard rumors you're sleeping with one of the owners of this place.....

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 13:29
Thank goodness Rock is out on the trail with all these rumors flyin.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gif

Kirby
02-23-2008, 14:21
Rock and Dixi are together:eek:?

Learn something new everyday:rolleyes::D.

Ducking...
Kirby

dixicritter
02-23-2008, 14:23
Now, now - I've heard rumors you're sleeping with one of the owners of this place.....

Yeah when he's home...LOL

Rock and Dixi are together:eek:?

Learn something new everyday:rolleyes::D.

Ducking...
Kirby

Well that would be rather difficult since he's just now leaving Apple House Shelter and I'm sitting in my living room. ;)

Appalachian Tater
02-23-2008, 15:05
Thanks for all of the extra work you're doing!

ed bell
02-23-2008, 15:08
Thanks for all of the extra work you're doing!I second that. BTW, how come Rock's journal hasn't been updated?;) You KNOW I'm kidding.:sun

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 15:12
I second that. BTW, how come Rock's journal hasn't been updated?;)
Yeah, really. What gives? Jeeeziss.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/hiding.gif

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-23-2008, 16:09
::: Dino peeks over trifocals at Ed and Warraghy :D and is just glad WB's co-owner is finally getting to thru-hike :::

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 16:15
::: Dino peeks over trifocals at Ed and Warraghy :D and is just glad WB's co-owner is finally getting to thru-hike :::
It's also kind of fun to watch Dino and Dixi toil. Although in exchange for the entertainment I feel like I owe them each one moderate home improvement (see porch, deck, room remodel) for the sake of good Karma.
Plus I'd likely to a bullet for either of them (in a non-vital organ of course).
There is of course the outside chance that I will be heading down the Mahoosuc Arm about the time Rock is climbing out. He'll likely be spent. So I'll just stand there in his way like a very vacuous south going Zax.:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-23-2008, 16:21
I..... a very vacuous south going Zax.:DHey, I resemble that remark.

dixicritter
02-23-2008, 16:21
It's also kind of fun to watch Dino and Dixi toil. Although in exchange for the entertainment I feel like I owe them each one moderate home improvement (see porch, deck, room remodel) for the sake of good Karma.
Plus I'd likely to a bullet for either of them (in a non-vital organ of course).
There is of course the outside chance that I will be heading down the Mahoosuc Arm about the time Rock is climbing out. He'll likely be spent. So I'll just stand there in his way like a very vacuous south going Zax.:D

LOL... well alrighty then. Hey ya know I've got this one bathroom I've been thinking about remodeling... ;)

bfitz
02-23-2008, 16:33

Come on folks, we're trying to make as many folks happy as humanly possible. We know we can't ever make everyone happy, we understand that. How about giving us a break here. Please? :)I understand why this is happening, and I feel for you guys, really I do, but I am dissappointed in this solution. An era has passed. :(

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 16:35
LOL... well alrighty then. Hey ya know I've got this one bathroom I've been thinking about remodeling... ;)
;);):):sun

Lone Wolf
02-23-2008, 16:35
I understand why this is happening, and I feel for you guys, really I do, but I am dissappointed in this solution. An era has passed. :(

start a new website

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 16:36
start a new website
Call it 'Scratch and Claw for Free.'

. . . dotnet

dixicritter
02-23-2008, 16:36
I understand why this is happening, and I feel for you guys, really I do, but I am dissappointed in this solution. An era has passed. :(

Thank you.

bfitz
02-23-2008, 17:01
start a new website
Yeah, I know. There was a reason why this one was so much more popular than certain others, that's all I'm saying. History has shown us that keeping feathers unruffled by keeping voices muffled usually only works for a while....

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 17:06
Yeah, I know. There was a reason why this one was so much more popular than certain others, that's all I'm saying. History has shown us that keeping feathers unruffled by keeping voices muffled usually only works for a while....
It also show's us that having a key is the best way to get in a door and those without a key either don't want to go in or aren't entrusted to that door.

dixicritter
02-23-2008, 17:08

No one is muffling voices here bfitz. Let's not start bickering about this, please.

Lone Wolf
02-23-2008, 17:10

you can still go to the toilet and talk your political crap

dixicritter
02-23-2008, 17:13
No one is muffling voices here bfitz.

Actually, let me rephrase that, because I know someone is going to come back at me for that comment...

What we're trying to do is get WhiteBlaze back to the topic of Hiking, which is what it should be about in the first and foremost. Wouldn't you agree with that? All the rest is just icing on the cake, and frankly, no really necessary, but we've allowed it to be here to make our users happy.

Alligator
02-23-2008, 17:14
It also show's us that having a key is the best way to get in a door and those without a key either don't want to go in or aren't entrusted to that door.The key to the ballot box used to be landownership.

rafe
02-23-2008, 17:17
The key to the ballot box used to be landownership.

Not to mention, being male and white. :rolleyes:

ed bell
02-23-2008, 17:18
I get the gist of your point bfitz, but the mission statement here does not leave room for the political/world/sensitive forums that have been created. Pay to play in these off-topic forums was the decision. It's a small amount, and for those who spend a good bit of time here, fair.

bfitz
02-23-2008, 17:28
The key to the ballot box used to be landownership.We saw how well that worked out.

Sly
02-23-2008, 17:34
Time to cough it up Fitz. If you want to play you need to pay!

bfitz
02-23-2008, 17:48
Time to cough it up Fitz. If you want to play you need to pay!

I get the gist of your point bfitz, but the mission statement here does not leave room for the political/world/sensitive forums that have been created. Pay to play in these off-topic forums was the decision. It's a small amount, and for those who spend a good bit of time here, fair.Fair, and I'm happy to pay, except you know we aren't just talking to eachother. What's the point of putting on the show if there's no audience?

I'm not mad or anything, and not trying to get people fired up or start up some rancor;)..I really do get it, but my point is little bit more constructive than you might think...because some folks just can't handle themselves in an argument, any argument, and that's a fact of life. The problem has nothing to do with the topic, it has to do with people's inability to handle themselves online. I cite any non-subscription thread about guns, dogs, shelters, trail magic etc. etc. plus, everyone knows poolitics and religion are facts of life and the trail.

Anyhow, the anti-rancor brigade will be clamoring for someone's head on a plate soon enough because they ruffled someones feathers on a nonpolitical topic. This change will make the mods life more difficult in the end because they now know that if something offends them they can complain about it and get results.

Again, I'd like to see the problems faced by the mods regarding this issue diminish, but people are people. You can change the topic but you can't change the person, if you know what I mean...(even now, dixie is so fed up with all the arguing she's crossing her fingers and praying "please god don't let them get started arguing about this, too, I have enough problems...." and that's my point. I know how it got to this and I'm truly sympathetic. The moderators job is thankless and nigh impossible, you won't please eveyone ever, but you gotta look out for your own sanity and IMHO there really are only two choices here. Complete oversight of every post (a heck of a lot of work, drove old wingfoot to his site's demise...) or laissez-faire let em post what they want and ban the most vile troublemakers from the site forever. I hope whiteblaze is successful in what it is trying to accomplish here, and I' sure you'll see me in the WB political beergarden with my ID card, but you know, I'm really just trying to be helpful. Anyone who runs any website with 15000 plus members is going to have these problems galore, and WB is only getting bigger....

My point is the "solution" is reactionary, and won't save anyone a lick of work in the end.

Skidsteer
02-23-2008, 19:39
.....My point is the "solution" is reactionary, and won't save anyone a lick of work in the end.

I understand where you're coming from bfitz. I don't think the mods believe this will save any work at all.

Personally I think it's become logical because a certain percentage of folks appear to be pathologically incapable of understanding the concept of subscription. IOW, they're too dimwitted to unsubscribe to something they find offensive.

Making them pay for it probably won't smarten most of them up. But it will let the rest of us know that they are irretrievably retarded so we don't waste any more emotional energy on them.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 19:44
But it will let the rest of us know that they are irretrievably retarded so we don't waste any more emotional energy on them.
Huh?? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/aussie.gif

:D

bfitz
02-23-2008, 20:04
I understand where you're coming from bfitz. I don't think the mods believe this will save any work at all.

Personally I think it's become logical because a certain percentage of folks appear to be pathologically incapable of understanding the concept of subscription. IOW, they're too dimwitted to unsubscribe to something they find offensive.

Making them pay for it probably won't smarten most of them up. But it will let the rest of us know that they are irretrievably retarded so we don't waste any more emotional energy on them.They don't want to unsubscribe. Haters love to hate. Indignance-junkies enjoy what they do. It's like the Howard Stern phenomena. Remember how they were going over his numbers and realized that more the 50% of his audience hated him? You think some of the most indignant posters here are going to stop being offended by things other people say? Under any circumstances?

ed bell
02-23-2008, 20:37
They don't want to unsubscribe. Haters love to hate. Indignance-junkies enjoy what they do. It's like the Howard Stern phenomena. Remember how they were going over his numbers and realized that more the 50% of his audience hated him? You think some of the most indignant posters here are going to stop being offended by things other people say? Under any circumstances?I think more than a handful subscribed to the sensitive/political/world area without ANY interest in it. They subsequently became offended by content they thought everyone was being subjected to. This fix requires 3 hoops to jump through. Donation, subscribing, and giving a reason for subscribing. Sounds like the bases are all covered. Having said that, when it was free, there were some who used Whiteblaze ONLY to mix it up in politics. That is not what this site is about and those members were taking advantage of a facet of this site that was extended as a goodwill gesture to faithful contributors.

The Weasel
02-23-2008, 21:21
Ed is very correct in everything he says. I would add that some -including, but not limited to, me - were offended not by 'content' (i.e. topics) but by the way some people thought that the User Agreement didn't apply in terms of language choices and personal attacks, which became, at times, vicious circles. I think that the intensity of the effort now signals that the Admins want to make the forums available, but that all of us - us - need to recognize a certain level of responsibility. If I'm wrong about that, well, we'll see how it all plays out.

TW

bfitz
02-24-2008, 04:54
I think more than a handful subscribed to the sensitive/political/world area without ANY interest in it. They subsequently became offended by content they thought everyone was being subjected to. This fix requires 3 hoops to jump through. Donation, subscribing, and giving a reason for subscribing. Sounds like the bases are all covered. Having said that, when it was free, there were some who used Whiteblaze ONLY to mix it up in politics. That is not what this site is about and those members were taking advantage of a facet of this site that was extended as a goodwill gesture to faithful contributors.As far as people "who used Whiteblaze ONLY to mix it up in politics...taking advantage of a facet of this site that was extended as a goodwill gesture to faithful contributors", that's an unfounded view. Just because someone doesn't post frequently in the same old gear and stove threads over and over doesn't mean they don't read and participate in the website and the community, especially myself! And, my friend, I think you'd be surprised how few here are offended by accident. While the silent majority is happy to read along and enjoy the occassional flame war, the few people who thrive on being offended make a lot of noise and the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Ed is very correct in everything he says. I would add that some -including, but not limited to, me - were offended not by 'content' (i.e. topics) but by the way some people thought that the User Agreement didn't apply in terms of language choices and personal attacks, which became, at times, vicious circles. I think that the intensity of the effort now signals that the Admins want to make the forums available, but that all of us - us - need to recognize a certain level of responsibility. If I'm wrong about that, well, we'll see how it all plays out.

TWSee what I mean, ed? This guys been permanently offended since I've been aware of him. Not to mention that he regularly engages in his so-called "vicious circles" between sermons about how the rest of us shouldn't.:rolleyes: He's been subscribed to the poltical threads since he found out about them, and rather than soothe his outrage by unsubscribing, (and I'm sure he could manage the technical aspect, retarded or not) he'd rather stick around and scold people and occasionally sick moderators on them when they call him names. It's virtually his schtick, I'm not even sure when he's serious about it anymore. To further my point, he and others do this all over the site, and not just in politcs forums, and I fully expect this to continue. (BTW, the Weasel, you know I wouldn't have it any other way...:p just sayin...) Those who love to be offended can find offense anywhere, and will, trust me. There is no fix for this problem.

In general, though, this website, with or without the forums in question, has less acrimony than just about any other website with similar membership numbers that lets people post. Hikers are just better people I guess....

TOW
02-24-2008, 08:46
If you are a Donating Member and wish to join the new World Abroad/Political Area, Please use the link in the UserCP under Group Memberships. You will have to wait for your membership request to be approved, but I promise we will get to these as soon as humanly possible.

Here's the link to get to the place in the UserCP where you join the group... Group Memberships (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/profile.php?do=editusergroups)

Thank you.
question, how much moolah does it take to become a lifetime donating member, lifetime meaning the lifetime of Whiteblaze?

Skidsteer
02-24-2008, 08:58
question, how much moolah does it take to become a lifetime donating member, lifetime meaning the lifetime of Whiteblaze?

How much you got? :D

There is no 'lifetime' member status available that I know of. The whole donating member thing is less than two years old.

TOW
02-24-2008, 09:38
Yeah I know. One time I was looking at the scale for donations and it went something like "if you donate this amount then your membership is only good for one year" and it didn't matter if you donated $15.00 or a $1,000.00.

I mean there ought to be a one time donation to become a donating member until the site dies...........

dixicritter
02-24-2008, 09:39

How much you got? :D

There is no 'lifetime' member status available that I know of. The whole donating member thing is less than two years old.

Skidsteer is correct this is not something that has been discussed at the present time on the Admin Team yet.

dixicritter
02-24-2008, 09:47
Yeah I know. One time I was looking at the scale for donations and it went something like "if you donate this amount then your membership is only good for one year" and it didn't matter if you donated $15.00 or a $1,000.00.

I mean there ought to be a one time donation to become a donating member until the site dies...........

Here's the way the system is set up I just went into the adminCP to check before I answered this to be sure.

The yearly donation is $10, if someone pays more than that the system automatically adds time to their subscription expiration date based on how much they paid over the $10. So say you paid $20, you'd get a 2 year subscription.

If you paid an odd amount like $15 the system automatically figures out the number of months to add on. We don't have to do a thing, it is all automatic.

woodsy
02-24-2008, 09:50
Any discounts for senior citizens?;):D:)

dixicritter
02-24-2008, 09:54
Any discounts for senior citizens?;):D:)

Sure... $10 and a :)

TOW
02-24-2008, 09:54
Here's the way the system is set up I just went into the adminCP to check before I answered this to be sure.

The yearly donation is $10, if someone pays more than that the system automatically adds time to their subscription expiration date based on how much they paid over the $10. So say you paid $20, you'd get a 2 year subscription.

If you paid an odd amount like $15 the system automatically figures out the number of months to add on. We don't have to do a thing, it is all automatic.
Oh, cool then. I'll go for that.

You guys must have changed it recently?

dixicritter
02-24-2008, 09:59

I dunno, I looks like it's been that way from the research I did. Which doesn't bother me at all. Now I might be wrong and if I am I'm sure Attroll will correct me. I will do some more research into this too.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-24-2008, 10:22
The software automatically calculates the amount of time purchased based on the donation? Now that is cool. Wonder if it is possible to contribute on a month-to-month basis? That would settle some of the qualms I've heard about doing an annual donation. Change makes people nervous and some are afraid the site will change to the point that they don't want to be donating members anymore.

dixicritter
02-24-2008, 10:42
The software automatically calculates the amount of time purchased based on the donation? Now that is cool. Wonder if it is possible to contribute on a month-to-month basis? That would settle some of the qualms I've heard about doing an annual donation. Change makes people nervous and some are afraid the site will change to the point that they don't want to be donating members anymore.

I understand that change makes people nervous. However, we are not at this time looking at changing the donation process from the yearly basis. Our minimum donation is set very low as it is, the monthly price would be less than $1 per month. We'd actually have to raise the donation amount to make it worth it to go month-to-month because of the PayPal fees. So you see it really wouldn't be a savings to our members to go that route.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-24-2008, 11:00
I understand that change makes people nervous. However, we are not at this time looking at changing the donation process from the yearly basis. Our minimum donation is set very low as it is, the monthly price would be less than $1 per month. We'd actually have to raise the donation amount to make it worth it to go month-to-month because of the PayPal fees. So you see it really wouldn't be a savings to our members to go that route.Thanks for weighing in Dixi with info and can certainly see where the PayPal fees would eat up the profits. Just looking at a potential way for those who are worried to continue to participate.

bfitz
02-24-2008, 11:06
No one's that worried.

Skyline
02-24-2008, 11:31

It must have been recent. I sent a $25 check with a holiday card in December 2007, and I'm credited with being a paid member from 1-6-08 to 1-5-09. By the formula Dixi described, I should be paid up 'til mid-2010, I think.

BTW I'm not looking for an extension. I'll gladly pay another $25 next December. But it will be by check, as I've been ripped off by PayPal twice (not in connection with WB). Just wanted to agree with TOW about it being a recent change.

attroll
02-24-2008, 11:38

No, No ,No. That is not how it works. The site accepts a yearly donation from you. You have the choice of paying between $10 and $100 for a 365 donation to the site which also adds you as a donating member. No matter what you pay it is only for 365 days.

If you make another donation before the 365 days is up then it will calculate when the first donation was due to expire and add another 365 days onto the end of that.

dixicritter
02-24-2008, 12:52
No, No ,No. That is not how it works. The site accepts a yearly donation from you. You have the choice of paying between $10 and $100 for a 365 donation to the site which also adds you as a donating member. No matter what you pay it is only for 365 days.

If you make another donation before the 365 days is up then it will calculate when the first donation was due to expire and add another 365 days onto the end of that.

I said I was probably wrong. I only did a quick look, however I did notice that some users have expiration dates past a year. So I made an assumption that was apparently wrong.

You've explained why I saw that in this post though. Sorry about that.

minnesotasmith
03-17-2008, 13:18
Where is the mailing address for sending in a donation, for those of us who don't use PayPal?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-17-2008, 13:22
Send donations to:
159 Oak Hill Road
Litchfield, ME 04350

attroll
03-18-2008, 00:25
The mailing address can be found at this link here http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=donating_member.